Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Equality of Species in Negav

Go down 
+15
TheLightLost
Grave
CauldronBorn24
Black Aquila
ZionAtriedes
Archmage_Bael
Pendragon
Pim18
Anime-Junkie
Shady Knight
rcs619
Krisexy26
asaenvolk
Jætte_Troll
Axel Hunter
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

Equality of Species in Negav - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Equality of Species in Negav   Equality of Species in Negav - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 2:48 pm

rcs619 wrote:
Quote :
Now Crisis certainly is not monstrous by being wicked and cruel, but she does fit the first definition.

Yes she is. She eats and kills random humans who have done nothing to her. They die slowly and painfully over the course of several minutes. She also often toys with her prey before eating them, sometimes giving them the false-hope that she will let them go before she eats them. Crisis is no saint. For all her kindness to her friends, she has a very dark side to her prey. She's very much a monster, also in both senses of the word.
Cliff, don't make me quote you in my sig twice.
Back to top Go down
Grave
Marauder of the deep jungle
Grave

PostSubject: Re: Equality of Species in Negav   Equality of Species in Negav - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 2:55 pm

Crisis eats what she views as food, because it tastes good, not because she takes some sick delight in killing people. What she does is not monstrous in the slightest.

A vampire must drink blood in order to survive. How can you call them monstrous and cruel for doing what they must in order to live?

Are humans monstrous for turning god-knows-how-many species into meals?
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: Equality of Species in Negav   Equality of Species in Negav - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 2:55 pm

Grave wrote:
Are humans monstrous for turning god-knows-how-many species into meals?
Yep. But we're the monsters with the guns.
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: Equality of Species in Negav   Equality of Species in Negav - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 3:12 pm

We were born monsters. Weapons made us abominations.
Back to top Go down
Grave
Grave

PostSubject: Re: Equality of Species in Negav   Equality of Species in Negav - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 3:17 pm

But if humans are monsters then nothing is, because then the word loses all relative meaning.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: Equality of Species in Negav   Equality of Species in Negav - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 3:21 pm

You could argue that. But at least most of us aren't super-sadistic about being omnivorous.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Equality of Species in Negav   Equality of Species in Negav - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 3:23 pm

This current "are preds monsters because they X" has been done before many times, years ago. I'm surprised it's going on now, I thought we had discussed this enough. It's pretty much beating a dead horse a this point.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Axel Hunter
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Axel Hunter

Location : In the land of nowhere, beyond the valley of somewhere, but not as far as the jungle of neither-here-nor-there....

PostSubject: Re: Equality of Species in Negav   Equality of Species in Negav - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 3:40 pm

Anime-Junkie wrote:
This current "are preds monsters because they X" has been done before many times, years ago. I'm surprised it's going on now, I thought we had discussed this enough. It's pretty much beating a dead horse a this point.

Sad This is all my fault, all because I argued about a vampire in Negav... now look at this, I started a freaking war.
Back to top Go down
http://foreverknight13.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Equality of Species in Negav   Equality of Species in Negav - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 3:43 pm

Axel Hunter wrote:
Anime-Junkie wrote:

Sad This is all my fault, all because I argued about a vampire in Negav... now look at this, I started a freaking war.

This isn't a war. Don't be so hard on yourself.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: Equality of Species in Negav   Equality of Species in Negav - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 3:44 pm

Axel Hunter wrote:
Anime-Junkie wrote:

You think this is war? This is a discussion. We're being civil, and trying to explain our points.

OY. Not every discussion is a fight. That ANNOYS the PISS out of me.
Back to top Go down
Darkstorm Zero
Darkstorm Zero

PostSubject: Re: Equality of Species in Negav   Equality of Species in Negav - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 3:57 pm

Perception of how one views another is very important here. We as humans would view Crisis's actions as monsterous only because it is perpetrated against Humans, thats really the only reason.

Same with Vampires. We view their actions as monsterous because it is perpetrated against Humans as well.

The main reason humans view any other species as monsterous is purely because usually humans are victims and no other reason.

Perception shapes the direction of thought.
Back to top Go down
http://darkstormzero.deviantart.com/
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: Equality of Species in Negav   Equality of Species in Negav - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 3:58 pm

No, I find her actions against nekos reprehensible as well, and I would if it was against any other sapient being. Or, really, anything sentient.

To quote Paragon Commander Shepard from Mass Effect 1: "Being human had nothing to do with it. I would've saved that colony if they were turians, or salarians!"
Back to top Go down
Darkstorm Zero
Darkstorm Zero

PostSubject: Re: Equality of Species in Negav   Equality of Species in Negav - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 4:14 pm

Oh, don't get me wrong, I find it just as disturbing.

My point being is that our point of view is that of a human, not that of a Naga or a Vampire or a Guardian or anything else for that matter. Our oppinion obviously is influenced by our perception, or "Point of view".

Because Neko's are similar enough to humans, we feel empathy for them, therefore we still get the sense of disgust of their death. Example, if a human killed and ate a Neko, thye would still be viewed as a cannibal right?

Thats another thing, Sapience...

Basically, sapience is translated to a very human feeling of Empathy and Sense of Reason. These two traits is esentially all sapience really is, an external method of showing emotion, not nessisarily emotion itself.
Back to top Go down
http://darkstormzero.deviantart.com/
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

PostSubject: Re: Equality of Species in Negav   Equality of Species in Negav - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 4:17 pm

Darkstorm's point is still valid; it is because we can relate to the victim, we show empathy, that alters our perception. His exampke was rather narrow in stating that it is because the victims are the same species as ourselves.

However on the otherside, one who shows no empathy be it for trees, humans or predators will be capable of terrible things indeed.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: Equality of Species in Negav   Equality of Species in Negav - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 4:22 pm

I feel empathy for anything that can express feelings. That's the underlying point of my case.
Back to top Go down
Pim18
Pim18

PostSubject: Re: Equality of Species in Negav   Equality of Species in Negav - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 6:51 am

ZionAtriedes wrote:
I feel empathy for anything that can express feelings. That's the underlying point of my case.

Hear Hear!!

But if we are going any deeper then some people might get headaches... It's like felarya meets inception... WE NEED TO GO DEEPER!!!
Back to top Go down
Grave
Grave

PostSubject: Re: Equality of Species in Negav   Equality of Species in Negav - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 3:38 pm

ZionAtriedes wrote:

Then why not empathize with creatures who must feed off others to live. I'm pretty sure they have feelings too.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: Equality of Species in Negav   Equality of Species in Negav - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 3:55 pm

Grave wrote:
ZionAtriedes wrote:

Then why not empathize with creatures who must feed off others to live. I'm pretty sure they have feelings too.
Yeah, but they could simply cut out sapient creatures from their diet, and could still survive. It's already been established that predators do NOT require humans to survive, thus making the "they need to do it to live" argument moot.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Equality of Species in Negav   Equality of Species in Negav - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 3:59 pm

Still, they're predators, it's what they do.
Back to top Go down
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: Equality of Species in Negav   Equality of Species in Negav - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 5:01 pm

they have a brain too. they just do no emphatize. theyre monsters. theyre even taking pleasure to it!
Back to top Go down
http://krisexy26.deviantart.com/
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: Equality of Species in Negav   Equality of Species in Negav - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 5:05 pm

Well, Krisexy, though I am a pro-human (and, by extension, a supporter of our fellow victims such as the nekos and inu), I must also acknowledge that most predators are uneducated and know no better. They do not know that humans are every bit as intelligent as they are, or that they are sapient people. Those that do, however, shall receive no sympathy from me!
Back to top Go down
Grave
Grave

PostSubject: Re: Equality of Species in Negav   Equality of Species in Negav - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 5:05 pm

Krisexy26 wrote:
they have a brain too. they just do no emphatize. theyre monsters. theyre even taking pleasure to it!

No they do. Just not for what they consider food, the same way Nekos view Neera.

They aren't heartless. They're hungry.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: Equality of Species in Negav   Equality of Species in Negav - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 5:06 pm

When I'm hungry, you don't see me eating infants, do ya?
Back to top Go down
Grave
Grave

PostSubject: Re: Equality of Species in Negav   Equality of Species in Negav - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 5:08 pm

ZionAtriedes wrote:

That's cannibalism.

Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: Equality of Species in Negav   Equality of Species in Negav - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 5:20 pm

Grave wrote:
ZionAtriedes wrote:

That's cannibalism.

Other species do it. What's wrong with humans doing it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Equality of Species in Negav   Equality of Species in Negav - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Equality of Species in Negav
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next