Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A new species...?

Go down 
+2
parameciumkid
Melany
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Melany
Tasty morsel
Melany

A new species...? Empty
PostSubject: A new species...?   A new species...? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 1:52 pm

ok this is really weird but I wanna make somethin' of my own lol! 

erm, i'll make a mermaid cause i like sharks

So I call it the 'Dwarf salt lake mermaid'
OMG so original, right? Not sure if there even is a 'salt lake' in Felarya, you know, those lakes that don't have a trace of blue, they're kinda a translucent white color, and they're salt lakes? Yeah that's what I'm talking about. And by 'dwarf' i mean 'DWARF DWARF DWARFDWARF!!!'
yeah. Like 2 centimeters 'dwarf'. And they swim really fast, they always have short hair, they're flexible, their tail takes up more than half of their whole body, and they inhabit... well... salt lakes. I don't think they can eat anyone, first of all because I don't want them to, and second of all, they're so small even a tiny could eat them, so what's in for them? VEGETABLES!!! Yup that's right they're vegetarian, but they will try to scavenge something, only if it's left behind which is almost never. And they like raspberries, just for the heck of it. It's hard for something to eat them, but when it does, they die fast. BUT IM TELLING YOU ITS REAL HARD TO CATCH AND ACTUALLY EAT THEM SO PLEASE NO

never mind, it's hard to catch and eat them, but they die faster, and they only live for like 60-90 human years, not like those giant nagas living for a million years or something... oh well that's all I got geek 
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

A new species...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new species...?   A new species...? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 2:23 pm

Welcome to Felarya Melany! Be sure and introduce yourself in the "Introduce Yourself" thread so's we all can welcome you properly. BTW you should probably take a look at Melany if you haven't already... dunno if name changes are possible or if that even matters but just so you know.

I like your idea - have you investigated the Felarya map or the wiki? As far as I know there are indeed no salt lakes known to be in Felarya, but that just means you have the opportunity to develop that habitat yourself! So I look forward to more new ideas from you.
Back to top Go down
http://helia.net63.net
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

A new species...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new species...?   A new species...? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 2:49 pm

Hello, welcome Melany.

Something tinier than a tiny is...well, I'm not going to say no, but personally I find that a little extreme. Second of all, your "dwarf" sounds more like a neera. Quite a few tinies have tails, and quite a few species do as well, so we need more than that. You only give a single paragraph of description.

It's certainly not a "no thank you", but if you put more thought into it, make it more detailed, and then tell us about your salt lake! Maybe put that in with the area between the Akaptor desert and the Misty Glade. Salt lakes are in traditionally dry areas as I remember. (Great Salt Lake, Utah?)
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

A new species...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new species...?   A new species...? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 6:42 pm

parameciumkid wrote:
Welcome to Felarya Melany! Be sure and introduce yourself in the "Introduce Yourself" thread so's we all can welcome you properly. BTW you should probably take a look at Melany if you haven't already... dunno if name changes are possible or if that even matters but just so you know.

I like your idea - have you investigated the Felarya map or the wiki? As far as I know there are indeed no salt lakes known to be in Felarya, but that just means you have the opportunity to develop that habitat yourself! So I look forward to more new ideas from you.
There are so salt water sources in Felarya! Chidorni Water Waterfall, The Lake in the Fairy Kingdom, Fairy Pond,the unnamed lake in between Orelesk Plateau and The Great Rocky Feilds and the one unnamed one in the Great Marshes. <.< Not to mention you can create your own! However the idea of smaller mermaids Has been tried and rejected in the past. I would support it. I had the idea for tiny mermaids a long time ago that were kept like Koi fish in ponds, but that got lost in my new location idea way back when and when I tried to renew it believe the subject of "every race doesn't need a tiny add on" came up and thus I gave up. =/ Good luck I say to thee!
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

A new species...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new species...?   A new species...? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 7:20 pm

Every race does need a tiny add-on! And a legendary extra-large variety! And a human-sized variety! Every major race anyway, I guess giant neeras would be kind of silly.
Back to top Go down
http://helia.net63.net
Melany
Tasty morsel
Melany

A new species...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new species...?   A new species...? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 8:15 pm

lol like I haven't done that a million times already!! XDD
people keep talking to me about that~~lol
ty! I'll check out the introduce yourself thread
srry for late reply :I
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

A new species...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new species...?   A new species...? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 6:15 am

The idea itself doesn't look bad, but the informal way it is written makes it look like a lot of thoughts just one after another without that much cohesion or reason to be. If I remember correctly, really salty salt lakes don't have much underwater vegetation, so you may have to consider their source of food again.

As for them being tiny mermaids... it may work, but I don't know why do you want them so extra-tiny as for them to be 0.8 inches long. Mermaids are longer than average because of their tails, and to find out their real size category, you must take out more than a third of their bodies. Check the height chart and you'll see they take out a good chunk of Anko's tail to measure her height. So let's say that your 0.8 inch (2 cm) mermaid is on the size category of a 0.5 inch (1.3 cm) tall tiny. Even then, tinies are 3 inches tall in average, so it's not like they can predate on your dwarf mermaids like giants do on human-sized; a tiny won't be able to eat one of your mermaids whole.

Lastly, this is to jedi, are you sure all of those are salt lakes? Chordony is a mountain waterfall, and even though it comes from another world, I'm pretty inclined to think it's not salt water. The lake at the Fairy Kingdom is fed by a river that comes from the mountain, and it doesn't look like the water from the sea could go that upstream, so I think that's not salt water either. Not sure about the Fairy Pond or the Great Marshes, though. From what the wiki says, the Marshes shouldn't be salty either, but the map doesn't suggest so.
Back to top Go down
Melany
Tasty morsel
Melany

A new species...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new species...?   A new species...? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 12:14 pm

Well, yeah, I'd like to keep them kind of simple, kind of like bugs

yeah

Felarya sea bugs :33

ants  cheers 
Back to top Go down
Melany
Tasty morsel
Melany

A new species...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new species...?   A new species...? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 12:19 pm

hmm, I see your point...
and yes they have to be super small: really small :3

hmmm, if salt lakes don't have vegetation, can't they just crawl up to the banks and find any grass or something? One blade of grass should be a lot of food for something that tiny, so i dont even think they need all that much vegetation, so they could actually live and eat the small amount of vegetation that is in the lakes  Smile 

if i say the word vegetation one more time I'll explode

vegetation
Back to top Go down
EvilGenius
Marauder of the deep jungle

A new species...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new species...?   A new species...? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 5:31 pm

No, they can not. The first issue with that is that they are mermaids, they do not crawl up onto land for food. The second issue, as you have stressed numerous times is, they are minescule. What seems like a short distance to you or I is an uncrossable barrier to them, more so when you count the fact they have no efficient means of propulsion on land. They will be slow, helpless, and regardless of your seeming unwillingness to have them consumed, easy prey. This brings me to my second point, predators. Everything has them, that's what keeps their population in check. something is going to consume your precious minnows, just like they have to consume something else to survive. If you are going to have them live in salt water lakes, then your best bet for a food source is going to be something along the lines of artemia or brine shrimp. They can subsist in great numbers on what little plant matter grows in the lakes, and your mermaids are small enough to take advantage of them, seeing as they get from half an inch long to an inch long on average. That said, I suggest you boost the size of your mermaids to anywhere between five and six inches for this food source to work well. If you feel the need to keep with your current size keep in mind is won't be the soft vore people tend to come here for. Your mermaids will become real sharks, shredding atremia in packs, with small unconsumed particles lazily drifting to the lakebed to lie among the debris and fuel the microorganisms that this entire ecosystem depends on. You picked a tough nut when you said salt lakes, but I can pull this off if you are willing to work with me.
Back to top Go down
Melany
Tasty morsel
Melany

A new species...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new species...?   A new species...? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 5:39 pm

EvilGenius wrote:
No, they can not. The first issue with that is that they are mermaids, they do not crawl up onto land for food. The second issue, as you have stressed numerous times is, they are minescule. What seems like a short distance to you or I is an uncrossable barrier to them, more so when you count the fact they have no efficient means of propulsion on land. They will be slow, helpless, and regardless of your seeming unwillingness to have them consumed, easy prey. This brings me to my second point, predators. Everything has them, that's what keeps their population in check. something is going to consume your precious minnows, just like they have to consume something else to survive. If you are going to have them live in salt water lakes, then your best bet for a food source is going to be something along the lines of artemia or brine shrimp. They can subsist in great numbers on what little plant matter grows in the lakes, and your mermaids are small enough to take advantage of them, seeing as they get from half an inch long to an inch long on average. That said, I suggest you boost the size of your mermaids to anywhere between five and six inches for this food source to work well. If you feel the need to keep with your current size keep in mind is won't be the soft vore people tend to come here for. Your mermaids will become real sharks, shredding atremia in packs, with small unconsumed particles lazily drifting to the lakebed to lie among the debris and fuel the microorganisms that this entire ecosystem depends on. You picked a tough nut when you said salt lakes, but I can pull this off if you are willing to work with me.

I do understand what you are talking about.... But still, mermaids /do/ have two arms, they could easily hunch themselves over the banks, also, if they're that small, doesn't that mean that its not worth a giant to eat them?
also what do you mean by my precios lil minnows will become crazy hard vores TT_TT
ok yeah that is kinda weird
I'm gonna boost the size LOL  Laughing 

so how do I edit my messages?

And sure, I'll be willing to work with you :3
Back to top Go down
EvilGenius

A new species...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new species...?   A new species...? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 5:57 pm

Salt water lakes have no vegetation for a few feet at least. It will be rare there is a tuft close enough for your mermaids to see much less eat. This is a symptom of lakes in general, compounded by the fact that saltwater lakes require special grass to tolerate the salt. Giants probably will never know your tinies exist, but normals size creatures will, and they will also probably make a grab at them. Since you've agreed to boost their size, they will be able to slurp down brine shrimp without issue, and you have got your prey. Predators will probably be along the lines of crabs, but that comes later. First, you should define your biology. One issue I noticed is you gave them a lifespan. Since you do not appear to have done your research, I will fill you in. Life is biologically immortal, they will not die of old age, only outside factors. The hair length is fine, but I would suggest you put an actual length on it, at least a general one. The tail length is a given, that how mermaids are, but you might want to define what their tail actually looks like. There are a whole lot of piscoid creatures out there to choose from for an interesting new look. To wrap up this post I must ask you to stick to the facts in the species description, and keep it organized. You can find the edit button in the top right of the post.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A new species...? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new species...?   A new species...? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A new species...?
Page 1 of 1