Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ferro Sprites

Go down 
+11
EdgedWeapon
Krisexy26
Stabs
buddha66667
Black Hole Fragment
Jætte_Troll
Shady Knight
Archmage_Bael
TryMeIke
Slimetoad
rcs619
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

Ferro Sprites Empty
PostSubject: Ferro Sprites   Ferro Sprites Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 11:16 am

Name: Ferro Sprites
Size: Variable
Threat level: Moderate - High
Location: Most common in mountainous regions, but can be found in various locations

Background:

Ferro Sprites are a species of fairy/elemental hybrids. They are born from the mating of a fairy with a metal elemental, and from the mating of other ferro sprites of course. Due to the rare nature of metal elementals, ferro sprites tend to be one of the less common fairy/elemental hybrids.

Appearance:

Like storm sprites and frost sprites, a ferro sprite does not look all that different from an average fairy at first glance. Their skin can come in a variety of colors, although ferro sprites tend to have a somewhat tan complexion. Their hair also comes in a variety of colors, although most commonly darker, more earthy colors like black and brown. Red, bronze and rust-colored hair are also fairly common shades as well. Some ferro sprites have been known to have blonde or silver hair, but these seem to be the rarest hair colors among the species.

The easiest way to identify a ferro sprite is by the metallic sheen that can be seen in their hair, eyes and wings, due to the higher metal content of their bodies.

For their insect-like features ferro sprites tend to favor moths, in both their wings and antenna. The wings of a ferro sprite have been known to be especially impressive, when their natural metallic sheen is mixed with the various highlights and markings found on their wings.

Abilities:

As would be expected, given their lineage, ferro sprites are able to manipulate and control metal at will. Their powers appear to be a form of magical manipulation, instead of being reliant on magnetic fields like the abilities of a Silver Succubus. This allows them to manipulate a wider variety of metals, as well as control them in much more complicated ways.

These abilities make them extremely dangerous to humans who rely on metallic weapons and technology. More than a few fairy hunters have had their rifles spontaneously disassemble themselves and fall to pieces in their hands when they mistook a ferro sprite for a run of the mill fairy. It should be noted that the range of influence of a ferro sprite's magic is somewhat short, in comparison to similar magical abilities like geomancy or hydromancy. Attacking a ferro sprite up close is highly discouraged. In all likelyhood, you'll just end up with a perfectly good sword tied in a knot, or worse.

Like nearly all known species of fairy, ferro sprites also posses size-shifting magic as well.

Personality:

Ferro sprite personalities run the usual gamut you tend to see with a sentient species. In general, they tend to be a bit hot-headed and stubborn at times, and most also have a strong competative streak as well. That competative streak can sometimes be taken advantage of by a quick-thinking human. There are a few stories floating around the watering holes of Negav of people who have avoiding getting eaten by a ferro sprite by challenging her to various contests, and getting her so engrossed in them that she completely forgot she had originally intended to eat the human in the first place. As with most fairy species, Ferro Sprites also have been known to have a bit of a mischievious streak in them as well.

These fairies are not an unreasonable bunch though, especially if you have something to offer them. Most ferro sprites that do not live in the mountains (or near natural metal deposits) tend to be pack-rats. They're always looking for more metal to add to their reserves, since their magic is completely useless if they have nothing around them to manipulate. There have even been some cases of ferro sprites approaching groups of humsns not to eat them, but to simply relieve them of their metal.

One interesting trait that a great many ferro sprites tend to share is their love of jewelry and accessories (made from metal they find or steal). Rings, bracelets, circlets and an assortment of other such items can typically be found on a ferro sprite's person. These are not just fashion statements though, they are also hidden weapons (well, not really hidden if you know what ferro sprites are capable of). Something as simple as a ring or necklace can become a dangerous projectile very quickly, should a ferro sprite need to defend herself.

Last edited by rcs619 on Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

Ferro Sprites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ferro Sprites   Ferro Sprites Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 3:10 am

This sounds like it could work. The thing with using jewelry and accesories as weapons is very clever
Back to top Go down
TryMeIke
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
TryMeIke

Ferro Sprites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ferro Sprites   Ferro Sprites Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 3:20 pm

I like a lot. the idea that some fairies are immune to the normal fairy hunting methods is a truely frightening one, and I like that. I'd say with any elemental around in felarya, you could have fairies cross breed with them.

hm. geomancy includes lava magic? lava elemental fairy hybrids?
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

Ferro Sprites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ferro Sprites   Ferro Sprites Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 3:34 pm

TryMeIke wrote:
I like a lot. the idea that some fairies are immune to the normal fairy hunting methods is a truely frightening one, and I like that. I'd say with any elemental around in felarya, you could have fairies cross breed with them.

hm. geomancy includes lava magic? lava elemental fairy hybrids?

They aren't immune to normal fairy hunting methods. Its not like they can block bullets, at least not without knowing beforehand and having a lot of luck. Just keep out of their range and/or catch them by suprise. Just like any other fairy.

Not sure. Possibly, although it would be difficult. Lava is thick, its heavy, it'd be difficult to control. Plus you'd actually have to make it, which would require extreme heat. There's also the fact that lava cools very rapidly once above ground, so if you did manage to make it, your time to use it before it cools would be very limited.

I can really only see lava mages in volcanic areas, where there is already lava present.
Back to top Go down
TryMeIke
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
TryMeIke

Ferro Sprites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ferro Sprites   Ferro Sprites Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 3:37 pm

well, fairies who are hybrids don't always have the same amount of traits as their elemental parent. storm sprites, for instance, are not reliant on the element of their parent for normal activities. I'd say there probably are lava elemental hybrids in the pyral mountains, like there are fire succubi there and lava elementals.

also, part of magic is being able to create things, I can imagine a lava specialized mage being able to create lava as part of their spellcasting.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

Ferro Sprites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ferro Sprites   Ferro Sprites Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 3:50 pm

TryMeIke wrote:
well, fairies who are hybrids don't always have the same amount of traits as their elemental parent. storm sprites, for instance, are not reliant on the element of their parent for normal activities. I'd say there probably are lava elemental hybrids in the pyral mountains, like there are fire succubi there and lava elementals.

also, part of magic is being able to create things, I can imagine a lava specialized mage being able to create lava as part of their spellcasting.

Elemental magic doesn't create things. It just manipulates what is already there. Geomancers can't make rocks, hydromancers can't just make water if there's none around, cryomancers can't just make ice if there's no water around to freeze, and so on.

That's the big drawback of elemental magic, you can only work with what is around you. On the bright side, you can manipulate it quickly and in many different ways, and it requires no complex spellcasting or rituals.
Back to top Go down
TryMeIke
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
TryMeIke

Ferro Sprites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ferro Sprites   Ferro Sprites Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 3:52 pm

not all elemental magic is the same. SOME mages may need the element around them for their use. others may not need it, through use of different types of elemental magic, or simply being powerful enough to create it themselves. personally, I think that elemental mages who have to rely on the elements around them need to find another kind of magic to use.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

Ferro Sprites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ferro Sprites   Ferro Sprites Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 4:02 pm

TryMeIke wrote:
not all elemental magic is the same. SOME mages may need the element around them for their use. others may not need it, through use of different types of elemental magic, or simply being powerful enough to create it themselves. personally, I think that elemental mages who have to rely on the elements around them need to find another kind of magic to use.

Let me clarify then. MY elemental magic, that my fairy hybrids, my battlemages, and my other characters use.

Its about having rules, restrictions and balances.

You can't just go around creating something from nothing. You can't use magic to totally solve all your problems. If you want to manipulate the elements, and use something like fire, water, earth, ice, metal or some other such thing as a weapon or tool, and you want to be able to do it without some kind of complex ritual or spell, then you can't just make it out of thin air. You need to work with what you have around you.

Putting limits on something forces a person to be more creative. From a writing standpoint, the author can't just go 'He shall magic his way out of this!" He actually has to think of how to solve the problem. Terrain and tactics become hugely important when you have to use what you have around you.

Also, how would you "create lava", or metal, or earth or fire? How would that even work? You can't just poof something into existance from nothing. The universe does not work that way.
Back to top Go down
TryMeIke
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
TryMeIke

Ferro Sprites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ferro Sprites   Ferro Sprites Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 4:04 pm

transmutation. change the ground around the enemy into a lava pit. Razz or just conjure magma from elsewhere. felarya is SUPPOSED to be a highly magic rich world, so the fact that magic is often COMPLETELY nerfed to uselessness here just makes me confused.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Ferro Sprites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ferro Sprites   Ferro Sprites Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 4:09 pm

TryMeIke wrote:
transmutation. change the ground around the enemy into a lava pit. Razz or just conjure magma from elsewhere. felarya is SUPPOSED to be a highly magic rich world, so the fact that magic is often COMPLETELY nerfed to uselessness here just makes me confused.

I see it as a balance thing.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

Ferro Sprites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ferro Sprites   Ferro Sprites Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 4:11 pm

TryMeIke wrote:

...Transmutation? What is this, FMA now?

You can't just turn the "ground" into lava. You need rocks, you need heat and pressure.

You can't conjure it from elsewhere either, since that would require portal magic. Portal magic is a form of dimensional magic. It is very rare, and very difficult. Even Voidfingers can only create portals in his nearby area, and he's an Isolon Fist battlemage with years of training.

Could a portal mage, in a volcanic area, make a portal in a lava pit and use it to spray something? Sure. Could that same mage be in the Tolmeshol Forest and portal in lava from a volcano half a world away? Definately not.

How is any of the magic I described nerfed to uselessness? Elemental magic is some of the most powerful around. It just requires you to be aware of your surroundings, make do with what you have, and be able to improvise and be creative. Hell, I show how two elemental mages deal with a predator quite handily in my "Just another day on the job" story. I would hardly call that "nerfed".

Its like a person using a gun. They can only shoot bullets if they have them. They can't just make more bullets out of thin air.

Last edited by rcs619 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TryMeIke
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
TryMeIke

Ferro Sprites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ferro Sprites   Ferro Sprites Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 4:13 pm

even so, magic on a highly magical world=completely useless is something of a problem. which is it? why is it that unless your a 100 foot tall man-eater, there is no real benefit to being a mage? almost ALL stories involving magic used by humans or nekos and non-giant elves shows it as useless. there are precious few exceptions, and those sadly, are EXCEPTIONS.
Back to top Go down
TryMeIke
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
TryMeIke

Ferro Sprites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ferro Sprites   Ferro Sprites Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 4:15 pm

rcs619 wrote:
TryMeIke wrote:

...Transmutation? What is this, FMA now?

You can't just turn the "ground" into lava. You need rocks, you need heat and pressure.

You can't conjure it from elsewhere either, since that would require portal magic. Portal magic is a form of dimensional magic. It is very rare, and very difficult. Even Voidfingers can only create portals in his nearby area, and he's an Isolon Fist battlemage with years of training.

Could a portal mage, in a volcanic area, make a portal in a lava pit and use it to spray something? Sure. Could that same mage be in the Tolmeshol Forest and portal in lava from a volcano half a world away? Definately not.

Now is any of the magic I described nerfed to uselessness? Elemental magic is some of the most powerful around. It just requires you to be aware of your surroundings, make do with what you have, and be able to improvise and be creative. Hell, I show how two elemental mages deal with a predator quite handily in my "Just another day on the job" story. I would hardly call that "nerfed".

well, if I was a mage, who normally uses lava to fight. I would learn how to make it always have lava around. if this means dabbling into other magics then my normal ones. I'd do it. and transmutation is capable of changing the properties of objects and beings. it can make something harder, or in truely powerful cases, it can cause race changes. FMA transmutation is NOT all transmutation.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

Ferro Sprites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ferro Sprites   Ferro Sprites Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 4:25 pm

TryMeIke wrote:
even so, magic on a highly magical world=completely useless is something of a problem. which is it? why is it that unless your a 100 foot tall man-eater, there is no real benefit to being a mage? almost ALL stories involving magic used by humans or nekos and non-giant elves shows it as useless. there are precious few exceptions, and those sadly, are EXCEPTIONS.

Its about scale.

Predator magic is generally weak and unrefined. Its just scaled up, so a simple fireball would be a large, very explosive attack to a human.

Likewise, the magic of the average human is useless against most giants because it is of such a smaller scale.

The reason Isolon Fist battlemages, and other equally powerful mages, are so special, is because they have the ability to wierld massive amounts of magic. They are effectively using pred-scaled magic. It'd be like an infantryman wielding a tank cannon.

Regular mages aren't useless though. Magic is a great tool to have. Plus, there's always the threat from bandits and robbers, which human-scale magic would work just fine on. Its the same reason so many people carry pistols. To protect themselves against other humans.

Magic has rules and limits, just like firearms. A pistol is useless against a pred. A rocket launcher will maim or kill it. Only a few groups have access toi military-grade weapons. Magic is the same way.

Quote :
well, if I was a mage, who normally uses lava to fight

Why would you choose to specialize in such an obscure, and somewhat useless type of magic? You can't even use it as a tool, like with earth, water, air or fire. Manipulating lava doesn't have any purpose.

Quote :
I would learn how to make it always have lava around. if this means dabbling into other magics then my normal ones. I'd do it.

Mastering different schools of magic is a difficult thing. It takes years of training and practice. Mages usually ONLY specialize in a couple different types of magic.

It also doesn't change the fact that you can't just "make lava always around". You can't create matter, and you can't portal in something unless its close.

Quote :
or in truely powerful cases, it can cause race changes

Not in Felarya.

Humans can't transform into anything else using magic.

The only species that comes anywhere near close to that are Fairies, since they can alter someone's size. Their magic is a very rare, and difficult form of dimensional magic. They aren't actually doing anything to the person, they're just altering his/her dimensional scale.
Back to top Go down
TryMeIke
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
TryMeIke

Ferro Sprites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ferro Sprites   Ferro Sprites Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 4:27 pm

I never heard that the ability to turn yourself into a different race was blocked in felarya. where is it stated in the wiki that someone who specializes in changing others races, genders, EXT finds their magic as useless as a necromancers?
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Ferro Sprites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ferro Sprites   Ferro Sprites Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 4:30 pm

TryMeIke's argument for transmutation isn't completely false. When an Earth Mage become skilled enough, he could learn to manipulate the ground to crush rocks into sand or form iron ore inside minerals. Unfortunately, this would take more concentration than merely ripping off a big chunk of earth and chucking it at the monster of the week, so such ability would be situational and not recommended as the mage's primary weapon.

Also, I'm still for the most part against a shift of size somehow increasing a person's ability to cast a spell, which I see as something spiritual and not affected by size. I would say that just because you are bigger doesn't mean you yield a more explosive fireball.

As for changing races, there could be spells such as a polymorph or metamorphosis, but most would only be temporary. There could be curses that would make a transformation spell permanent until it is broken, though.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

Ferro Sprites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ferro Sprites   Ferro Sprites Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 4:32 pm

TryMeIke wrote:
I never heard that the ability to turn yourself into a different race was blocked in felarya. where is it stated in the wiki that someone who specializes in changing others races, genders, EXT finds their magic as useless as a necromancers?

Its not that their magic is useless. That form of magic does not exist.

You can't change your species, and only Fairies (and angels and demons if you believe the rumors) can change their sizes or the sizes of others.

The ability to change your species does not exist in the Felarya multiversal setting. It is impossible.

Anna's case is one of the only examples, and it only happened because of an error in space and time itself. The only living being capable of manipuating space and time within the Felarya setting is Notys, who is arguably the most powerful of the Guardians.

Quote :
Also, I'm still for the most part against a shift of size somehow increasing a person's ability to cast a spell, which I see as something spiritual and not affected by size. I would say that just because you are bigger doesn't mean you yield a more explosive fireball

You don't.

A human's fireball, and a naga's fireball are exactly the same.

The naga's is just of a larger scale, so it is larger and more destructive in relation to a human. It is all about scale, and size relations, not magical power.

Last edited by rcs619 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TryMeIke
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
TryMeIke

Ferro Sprites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ferro Sprites   Ferro Sprites Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 4:33 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
TryMeIke's argument for transmutation isn't completely false. When an Earth Mage become skilled enough, he could learn to manipulate the ground to crush rocks into sand or form iron ore inside minerals. Unfortunately, this would take more concentration than merely ripping off a big chunk of earth and chucking it at the monster of the week, so such ability would be situational and not recommended as the mage's primary weapon.

Also, I'm still for the most part against a shift of size somehow increasing a person's ability to cast a spell, which I see as something spiritual and not affected by size. I would say that just because you are bigger doesn't mean you yield a more explosive fireball.

As for changing races, there could be spells such as a polymorph or metamorphosis, but most would only be temporary. There could be curses that would make a transformation spell permanent until it is broken, though.

this, so much. EXACTLY, thank you for saying exactly what I said. no rules against it. and the idea that a pred who uses weak magic gets to unleash a fireball ten times the size of a mighty firemage just pisses me off. why BOTHER learning magic then, a pred apprentice is already stronger then you will ever be!

about not existing, that is so untrue and false, I'm not even GOING there. really.
Back to top Go down
TryMeIke
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
TryMeIke

Ferro Sprites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ferro Sprites   Ferro Sprites Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 4:36 pm

rcs619 wrote:
TryMeIke wrote:

Its not that their magic is useless. That form of magic does not exist.

You can't change your species, and only Fairies (and angels and demons if you believe the rumors) can change their sizes or the sizes of others.

The ability to change your species does not exist in the Felarya multiversal setting. It is impossible.

Anna's case is one of the only examples, and it only happened because of an error in space and time itself. The only living being capable of manipuating space and time within the Felarya setting is Notys, who is arguably the most powerful of the Guardians.

Quote :
Also, I'm still for the most part against a shift of size somehow increasing a person's ability to cast a spell, which I see as something spiritual and not affected by size. I would say that just because you are bigger doesn't mean you yield a more explosive fireball

You don't.

A human's fireball, and a naga's fireball are exactly the same.

The naga's is just of a larger scale, so it is larger and more destructive in relation to a human. It is all about scale, and size relations, not magical power.

LIES. a human or naga's size should have nothing to do with the size of their fireball. a human mage and a naga mage should produce a same size fireball, because their magical skill is EXACTLY the same. don't bring preds bigger size into the equation, that has NOTHING to do with magic.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Ferro Sprites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ferro Sprites   Ferro Sprites Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 4:38 pm

Stop double posting. Use the edit button.
Back to top Go down
TryMeIke
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
TryMeIke

Ferro Sprites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ferro Sprites   Ferro Sprites Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 4:38 pm

sorry. ^^;
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

Ferro Sprites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ferro Sprites   Ferro Sprites Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 4:41 pm

TryMeIke wrote:
Sean Okotami wrote:

this, so much. EXACTLY, thank you for saying exactly what I said. no rules against it. and the idea that a pred who uses weak magic gets to unleash a fireball ten times the size of a mighty firemage just pisses me off. why BOTHER learning magic then, a pred apprentice is already stronger then you will ever be!

about not existing, that is so untrue and false, I'm not even GOING there. really.

Why bother working out, doing conditioning, and keeping fit? Predators are already stronger than you will ever be.

Its bad logic.

Its about scale.

Let's say it takes 10 mega-houdinis (made up unit) to make a fireball.

A Naga, a Human and a Neera ALL use the same amount of power (10 mega-houdinis) to make a fireball that is as wide as their palm.

The Naga's fireball is obviously going to be much larger, since its palm is over 7ft wide.

It is about perspective and scale.

Also, keep in mind, predator magic is typically unrefined and simple. A human mage, on a purely relative scale, is far more powerful than a pred. The pred's size just makes up the difference and more.

You act like magic is ONLY good for fighitng preds, and is useless if it can't do that. Preds aren't the only danger. There is also wildlife, robbers and bandits. Not to mention magic's MAIN use, as a tool to help make people's live more managable. Fighting is a purely secondary function of magic, and arguably the least important, since fights don't exactly happen that often.

Quote :
LIES. a human or naga's size should have nothing to do with the size of their fireball. a human mage and a naga mage should produce a same size fireball, because their magical skill is EXACTLY the same. don't bring preds bigger size into the equation, that has NOTHING to do with magic.

Magic is ALL about scale.

Let's look at a fairy. Let's say she makes a 10 mega-houdini fireball when she's human-sized. If she grows to 100ft tall, nothing changes. She is using the same amount of magic to make a fireball as wide as her palm. Preds and humans use the same amounts of magic, it is scale the makes all the difference.
Back to top Go down
TryMeIke
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
TryMeIke

Ferro Sprites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ferro Sprites   Ferro Sprites Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 4:47 pm

rcs619 wrote:
TryMeIke wrote:
Sean Okotami wrote:

Why bother working out, doing conditioning, and keeping fit? Predators are already stronger than you will ever be.

Its bad logic.

Its about scale.

A Naga, a Human and a Neera ALL use the same amount of power (10 mega-houdinis) to make a fireball that is as wide as their palm.

The Naga's fireball is obviously going to be much larger, since its palm is over 7ft wide.

Also, keep in mind, predator magic is typically unrefined and simple. A human mage, on a purely relative scale, is far more powerful than a pred. The pred's size just makes up the difference and more.

You act like magic is ONLY good for fighitng preds, and is useless if it can't do that. Preds aren't the only danger. There is also wildlife, robbers and bandits. Not to mention magic's MAIN use, as a tool to help make people's live more managable. Fighting is a purely secondary function of magic, and arguably the least important, since fights don't exactly happen that often.

Quote :

Let's look at a fairy. Let's say she makes a 10 mega-houdini fireball when she's human-sized. If she grows to 100ft tall, nothing changes. She is using the same amount of magic to make a fireball as wide as her palm. Preds and humans use the same amounts of magic, it is scale the makes all the difference.

so basicly, your saying from the preds perspective: screw you humans, I am bigger then you and better in every way, and also saying humans and others CAN'T use magic to even the odds? BULLSHIT. if felarya really does actively keep people from being able to handle themselves, then I have no interest in a place where arbitary decisions mean that humans really ARE worth nothing more then a snack to the nigh invicible, superior pred race. and all your claims that humans can fight back are contridicted the MOMENT something that can be used to actually fight back EN MASSE is suggested, as if they had no meaning. I'm sorry for derailing this thread and will shut up now, but seriously, what is WRONG with everyone here? you wonder why so few people join felarya now? it's cuz of the way new people here get treated like crap, so they leave.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Ferro Sprites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ferro Sprites   Ferro Sprites Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 4:50 pm

Actually, by your logic, Cliff, scale would be a factor to influencing a mage's power. Let's break the rules of Felarya for the sake of an example.

Assume a mage cast a spell of gigantism on his buddy mage. Because he's now bigger, his basic fireball can now devastate a bigger chunk of the forest. Given the type of magic that you utilize, Cliff, which is about gathering enough of the element to cast it as a spell, doing so would be meaningless, since by your system, the mage is still using 10 mega-houdini to cast his big chunk of rock. By that logic, regardless of how big the mage is, using 10 mega-houdini will always cast a chunk of rock roughly the same size. So in order to match his new scale, the mage will have to use more than 10 mega-houdini to summon a chunk of rock big twice his new size.

Reinstituting Felarya's rules, one of the reasons predator magic (fairies excluded) is unrefined is because they need to use more magic to cast a fireball matching their scales. As fairies don't have this handicap, thanks to the odd nature of their size, they are the most dangerous spellcasters among predators.

I also suggest this discussion be moved.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

Ferro Sprites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ferro Sprites   Ferro Sprites Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 5:00 pm

TryMeIke wrote:
rcs619 wrote:
TryMeIke wrote:
Sean Okotami wrote:

Its bad logic.

Its about scale.

Quote :

so basicly, your saying from the preds perspective: screw you humans, I am bigger then you and better in every way, and also saying humans and others CAN'T use magic to even the odds? BULLSHIT. if felarya really does actively keep people from being able to handle themselves, then I have no interest in a place where arbitary decisions mean that humans really ARE worth nothing more then a snack to the nigh invicible, superior pred race. and all your claims that humans can fight back are contridicted the MOMENT something that can be used to actually fight back EN MASSE is suggested, as if they had no meaning. I'm sorry for derailing this thread and will shut up now, but seriously, what is WRONG with everyone here? you wonder why so few people join felarya now? it's cuz of the way new people here get treated like crap, so they leave.

Okay, this is something that bugs me so I have to step in.

How is ANYONE treating ANYONE like crap in this thread?

Just disagreeing with someone's ideas and then writing a logical rebuttal is NOT being mean or rude.

There are plenty of new people who have no problems integrating themselves into the forum, as long as they are respectful and put an effort in.

As for your argument, nowhere here was it suggested that predators are "better" than humans. Cliff was making an argument about scale, which I think makes sense.

It just seems really ridiculous to have a giant naga shoot a fireball.... and have it be a human sized one. Equally, it would be ridiculous to have a tiny be able to shoot a giant or even a human sized fireball.

But just because magic is scaled doesn't make humans weak. Unfortunately, when you get down to a strict comparison - predators ARE stronger than humans. They're just bigger. However, in an encounter, a smart human will have allies to outnumber the predator, who will combine their skills, technology and various magical talents to prevail. The really smart human won't get into a fight with a predator at all.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

Ferro Sprites Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ferro Sprites   Ferro Sprites Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ferro Sprites
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next