Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dimensional Upscaling, or "giant things for giant people"

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

Dimensional Upscaling, or "giant things for giant people" Empty
PostSubject: Dimensional Upscaling, or "giant things for giant people"   Dimensional Upscaling, or "giant things for giant people" Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 3:25 am

Dimensional Upscaling

Fairies have no problem with growing their clothes and equipment with them when they feel like roaming around at giant size. But sometimes a fairy wants to share something with a non-fairy friend. When an object "grown" by a fairy, or upscaled, is relinquished it will be subject to effects of imperfect dimensional scaling. An upscaled object not on a fairy's person will obtain dimensional instability, eventually "popping" back to its original size. You could think of it as a book on a train rattling closer to the edge of a shelf, inevitably dropping off. The larger an object would be if upscaled to a fairy's maximum size, the more instability it will begin with, or simply fail to grow in the first place. A typical fairy could enlarge a book to be ten feet tall for (weeks, months, years?) but couldn't for a moment enlarge a vehicle to ride in at maximum size. Objects enlarged by fairies gain immense instability when exposed to anti-magic, no magic, and to a lesser extent, in odd places within Felarya that have less magic than usual. This means that while you might just be able to convince/steal from a fairy to get an enlarged priceless gem, it would be very disappointing when you take a dimensional gate to your home world hoping to get rich when the object turns out to have been constructed at tiny size! Even more unlucky would be selling it in Negav for the buyer to have it shrink on them one day... Needless to say, Negavians are wary about over-sized objects.

Some fairies living in the Fairy Kingdom have a knack for more potently applying dimensional upscaling, essentially granting it permanently so long as the object isn't exposed to things like being taken near a voidcap mushroom or for a stroll through Mycoria Forest. They are widely spoken of for this skill and often sought out for it, regardless of whether they want the attention or not.

Last edited by /Fish/ on Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Dimensional Upscaling, or "giant things for giant people"   Dimensional Upscaling, or "giant things for giant people" Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 3:46 am

I dunno about the "popping" thing.
I spoke to karbo about fairy magic a while ago and he said that shrunken/grown objects and people gradually return to their normal size when they're moved away from fairy.

Also, fairy glass could be used to add more permanence to changed things.

There would have to be some kind of limit though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Dimensional Upscaling, or "giant things for giant people"   Dimensional Upscaling, or "giant things for giant people" Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 3:56 am

Anime-Junkie wrote:
I spoke to karbo about fairy magic a while ago and he said that shrunken/grown objects and people gradually return to their normal size when they're moved away from fairy.

Welp, having a piece of equipment shrink constantly would be about the most annoying thing ever. The "popping" allows the situation where a giant suddenly finds themselves holding a toothpick instead of a sword, and that's just more entertaining.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Dimensional Upscaling, or "giant things for giant people"   Dimensional Upscaling, or "giant things for giant people" Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 4:25 am

It wouldn't shrink constantly if it was designed not to.
If Fairy Glass was incorporated into the construction of the object, it would retain the shrunken or grown state cast on it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Dimensional Upscaling, or "giant things for giant people"   Dimensional Upscaling, or "giant things for giant people" Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 7:30 am

Not to mention that the default size of something isn't the only factor in how easy it is to grow/shrink it. Magical resistance also play a factor into this. I have a rule of thumb where a mundane inanimate object doesn't have any magic resistance, so if you were to influence its size, it would stay so until you mess with it again. Why would something, like say, a textbook or a rock, eventually pop back to normal size after you made it bigger/smaller? Living beings, or magic items, sure, I can understand. Non-living, unenchanted matter, does not compute.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Dimensional Upscaling, or "giant things for giant people"   Dimensional Upscaling, or "giant things for giant people" Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 4:02 pm

Also, let's not forget the limits of dimensional upscaling.

If there's one thing that pisses me off, it's that I STILL see stories where 5 centimeter tall fairies can shrink entire villages in one go, and they're supposed to still be "in training".

Screw that blatant Mary Sue-ism.

Last edited by Pendragon on Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Dimensional Upscaling, or "giant things for giant people"   Dimensional Upscaling, or "giant things for giant people" Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 3:00 am

Well that's a great description here ^^
It's very clear explained and I think it makes sense. Good job !
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Dimensional Upscaling, or "giant things for giant people"   Dimensional Upscaling, or "giant things for giant people" Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 5:07 am

I'd like to add that description if you agree to the disclaimer ^^

Anime-Junkie wrote:
I dunno about the "popping" thing.

are you sure I said gradually ? Somehow it seems to contradict what I have in mind... To me having people progressively growing back to their original size proportional to the position of the fairy seems a little odd... If that's the case, I apologize and it's a mistake from my part sweatdrop
As I see it, after a shrunken person is far away enough from the fairy who shrank them, the magic would "snap" and they would pop back to their normal size in seconds.

Sean : the absence of magic resistance for the object would mean it doesn't revert back based on if the fairy is far away or not ( unlike for people ) it would be based on time, for the magic to wear of.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Dimensional Upscaling, or "giant things for giant people"   Dimensional Upscaling, or "giant things for giant people" Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 5:14 am

I agree to the disclaimer
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Dimensional Upscaling, or "giant things for giant people"   Dimensional Upscaling, or "giant things for giant people" Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 6:07 am

I wasn't talking strictly about fairy magic. I recall that Katrika's diary was made bigger by a random mage enlarging it with magic, and to my recollection, it never shrank back, even after weeks and months had passed.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dimensional Upscaling, or "giant things for giant people"   Dimensional Upscaling, or "giant things for giant people" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dimensional Upscaling, or "giant things for giant people"
Page 1 of 1