Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do Tinies have guns?

Go down 
+10
CrisisOperations
DarkOne
Ilceren
DaNoob13
EvilGenius
Archmage_Bael
Grave
FalconJudge
rcs619
jedi-explorer
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

Do Tinies have guns? Empty
PostSubject: Do Tinies have guns?   Do Tinies have guns? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 6:23 pm

I was wondering because I have neera who makes things and is a inventor and sometime he makes armaments and I was thinking of giving him a gun. Then I realized most Tiny pics I've seen/stories I've read have them using low-tech weapons. Is this a rule or just because nobody thought of it?
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Do Tinies have guns?   Do Tinies have guns? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 7:00 pm

jedi-explorer wrote:
I was wondering because I have neera who makes things and is a inventor and sometime he makes armaments and I was thinking of giving him a gun. Then I realized most Tiny pics I've seen/stories I've read have them using low-tech weapons. Is this a rule or just because nobody thought of it?

The main problem is... well there are two main problems.

1: Assembling the materials: Metal, wood, stuff to make gunpowder and projectiles from. This is even more difficult for tinies than it is for humans. The materials will be spread out further, they will be heavier and harder to work with, and they will be much harder to get to. How is a neera supposed to get some iron to make a gun? Or shave off small enough pieces for them to use?

2: Practicality: Much like human-sized people vs giant preds, you really won't do any significant damage until you get to high-caliber military-grade weapons. Guns that are sophisticated to make, especially if you are a more primitive society.

Could Negavian tinies potentially have guns? Sure, there's going to be crime in Pelnepi just like anywhere else. Unless its a side-arm to protect them against another tiny, I just can't see what else they'd need it for. Maybe simple rifles for hunting small animals and insects, but that's about it.
Back to top Go down
FalconJudge
Hero
Hero
FalconJudge

PostSubject: Re: Do Tinies have guns?   Do Tinies have guns? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 10:55 pm

An idea that isn't well explored: Tinies wielding giant mechs. Well, people-sized mechs.
Back to top Go down
http://falconjudge2.deviantart.com/
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: Do Tinies have guns?   Do Tinies have guns? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 5:58 pm

rcs619 wrote:
jedi-explorer wrote:

The main problem is... well there are two main problems.

1: Assembling the materials: Metal, wood, stuff to make gunpowder and projectiles from. This is even more difficult for tinies than it is for humans. The materials will be spread out further, they will be heavier and harder to work with, and they will be much harder to get to. How is a neera supposed to get some iron to make a gun? Or shave off small enough pieces for them to use?

2: Practicality: Much like human-sized people vs giant preds, you really won't do any significant damage until you get to high-caliber military-grade weapons. Guns that are sophisticated to make, especially if you are a more primitive society.

Could Negavian tinies potentially have guns? Sure, there's going to be crime in Pelnepi just like anywhere else. Unless its a side-arm to protect them against another tiny, I just can't see what else they'd need it for. Maybe simple rifles for hunting small animals and insects, but that's about it.

Those are pretty good reasons. Okay I see. Materials. Man Tinies have no luck in that region! Makes you wonder what they use to barter for goods. Cause most currency in most cultures is made o -semi-precious metals I belive, but I can see why they wouldn't all have guns. After all couldn't have a Tiny army re-in-acting the "King Kong" scene

Quote :
An idea that isn't well explored: Tinies wielding giant mechs. Well, people-sized mechs.

Yeah that's true, though ironicly that was one option I cosidered for the Neera who made me wonder about this! :O
Back to top Go down
Grave
Marauder of the deep jungle
Grave

PostSubject: Re: Do Tinies have guns?   Do Tinies have guns? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 6:26 pm

Tiny villages should build ANACs.

Anti-Neko Artillery Cannons
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Do Tinies have guns?   Do Tinies have guns? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 10:04 pm

Grave wrote:

Yes, they shoot nagas.
Back to top Go down
EvilGenius

PostSubject: Re: Do Tinies have guns?   Do Tinies have guns? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 10:08 pm

And the naga's shoot rabid inu's.
Back to top Go down
DaNoob13
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer
DaNoob13

PostSubject: Re: Do Tinies have guns?   Do Tinies have guns? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 1:30 am

FalconJudge wrote:

This makes me think of the first Men in Black movie where the little alien is seen in a robot's head. Though I know mechs are more... 'badass' to say the least. Still... considering the variety of worlds that connect to Felarya... it wouldn't be impossible for a race of neeras to be super advanced. Problem is... on their world they might be bigger or some other random nonsense that shoots this down...
Back to top Go down
Grave
Grave

PostSubject: Re: Do Tinies have guns?   Do Tinies have guns? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 7:55 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:

Yes, they shoot nagas.

Hehehe..... that was my first thought as well......

But let's get more serious, I like the idea of tinies having access to guns that can "paint" a neko with some kind of substance that is very alluring to giant nagas and can be detected from a long distance away. The substance could also inhibit the neko's abilities making them rather easy prey. Not a direct lethal approach but perhaps an appropriate deterrent and punishment to the "crime" especially in Felarya.
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Do Tinies have guns?   Do Tinies have guns? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 8:41 am

rcs619 wrote:
Well, think of the scale-down. To get wood, tinies would just cut a sapling. To get iron, more or less the same. Humans need an iron ore of about half the size of a fist or bigger for it to be usable. Tinies would look for ores about a third part of your pinky fingernail at minimum. Humans waste a LOT of those in their mining procedure, so I don't think it would be uncommon for tinies to collect this waste to get their materials nice and easy.

Still, I don't know the gunpowder creation process. It may be needed for it to have the grain size humans use at minimum, and then it would be pretty hard to manage for tinies.
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: Do Tinies have guns?   Do Tinies have guns? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 9:55 pm

Grave wrote:

XD That is a cool image, but then why would they need the preists and preistess who live at the Sanctum of the Shining Star?

ILcren wrote:
Still, I don't know the gunpowder creation process. It may be needed for it to have the grain size humans use at minimum, and then it would be pretty hard to manage for tinies.

Actually it's not that hard and with Felarya's magic having Alchemy it'd be doubly easy I think. After all it was the Chinese who invented it was it not? Surely a Felaryan Tiny could if a Chinese Mage can.
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Do Tinies have guns?   Do Tinies have guns? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 3:18 am

jedi-explorer wrote:
Ilçeren wrote:

Actually it's not that hard and with Felarya's magic having Alchemy it'd be doubly easy I think. After all it was the Chinese who invented it was it not? Surely a Felaryan Tiny could if a Chinese Mage can.
I didn't mean the creation process, but the end result. If the gunpowder is made having the size of half a tiny's head at minumum, then it would be hard to manage. And the guns would have to be really big to fit such grains and bullets.
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: Do Tinies have guns?   Do Tinies have guns? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 8:56 pm

Ilceren wrote:
jedi-explorer wrote:
Ilçeren wrote:

I didn't mean the creation process, but the end result. If the gunpowder is made having the size of half a tiny's head at minumum, then it would be hard to manage. And the guns would have to be really big to fit such grains and bullets.

Oh. I see what you mean. The size would make it hard to produce. I thought you meant you didn't know the formula for gunpowder. sweatdrop
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Do Tinies have guns?   Do Tinies have guns? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 1:48 pm

If they do use guns, they would have to be low tech and arn't mass produced.

Most modern weapons are created in factories you know......they require metals that would need to be casted into shape, coating of different chemicals to make them durable to the environment, they would need professinal assembling and are always in need of cleaning correctly after being used.

A bit much for the little fella's isn't it? Not something that would happen over night, Earth Humans started developing guns in the 14th century starting with basic canons, it has taken 700 years of development for them to be what they are now.

The tinies would of required alot of help from a more technologically advanced race, someone to go through the frustration of creating technology smaller than themselves. Which no doubt would require alot of skill and money. And what can the Tinies give for exchange of this? Noone in the Felraya cities are just going to do that out of the goodness of their hearts when they have their own weapon concerns
Back to top Go down
CrisisOperations
Naga food
CrisisOperations

PostSubject: Re: Do Tinies have guns?   Do Tinies have guns? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 12:49 am

i don't think its possible, a bullet is propelled by an explosive (lets assume an equivalent of gunpowder: tiny gunpowder Very Happy)reaction so there are 2 problems:
1: they aren't powerful enough to do anything (ever against another tiny).
2: if they were powerful enough, the gun wouldn't be tough enough to withstand it...
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: Do Tinies have guns?   Do Tinies have guns? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 11:20 am

CrisisOperations wrote:
i don't think its possible, a bullet is propelled by an explosive (lets assume an equivalent of gunpowder: tiny gunpowder Very Happy)reaction so there are 2 problems:
1: they aren't powerful enough to do anything (ever against another tiny).
2: if they were powerful enough, the gun wouldn't be tough enough to withstand it...

Hmm technically the first is true of all guns in Felarya. A giant's density makes it near impossible to harm with a little machine gun much less a sword, but we still use them and often we ignore the reality of that for the sake of the fact Felarya is unique in a aspect that high technology and magic exist in the same world and work well as long as nobody calls them into question. So thus why can't a Tiny have a gun? Or even some Wild Tinies have militias or even their own private armies? Heck using Grave's ANAC's wouldn't be a bad thing. No need to have impact. Just impair and cripple the target.
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Do Tinies have guns?   Do Tinies have guns? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 2:30 pm

Well if there was any practical usage of guns for a Tinie it would be protection from creatures of simular size, insects and other creepycrawly's are used to having to eat things with exoskeletons, so the soft outer flesh of a Tinie would be a right treat for them.

So I don't think it's silly for Tinies to want to have guns, it's just having the means to make them that is the problem.
Back to top Go down
Bandur Khan
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
Bandur Khan

PostSubject: Re: Do Tinies have guns?   Do Tinies have guns? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2014 6:58 am

The smallest Caliber known to me is 2mm Pinfire. To fire such a small Projectile all You need is a thin Layer of Fulminate of Mercury - an Alchimist for Example could easily produce this (and if he is not the luckiest One, also seriously blow himself up trying it). So no Gun Powder is needed in this Case.
Years ago I had the Opportunity to test one of these Micro Guns and used small Lead Pieces as Projectiles - at least over a Distance of 2 Meters You can penetrate a Newspaper ( an Equivalent of killing a Canary). And getting Metal should not be a Problem - look, what Humans are wasting all Day. So just go for their Garbage. If You are small (and thus talented), You probably can build Yourself a friggin´ Tank.

Another defensive Method would be Sort of a small `Super Soaker´ loaded with hard reeking Stuff, Tear Solvent - or a pheromonic Marker, that lets a `sprayed´ Predator suddenly seem to be attractive for even bigger ones. If You are really looking for something kicking some huge Butt, You will find something - like a special Skin Lotion that will let You reek and taste horrible (and perhaps poisonous - like the Moses Fish who is easily able to gross out Sharks).

You know Ladybirds - these small red Bugs with tiny black Spots? No Bird with two working Brain Cells would ever, EVER eat one of them. Because if he does, he will throw up and ending dizzy for at least two Weeks with a very bad Taste in the Throat. So You see, You can load a 2mm-Gun with poisonous Thorns too. Nail them like a big Fish with a Harpoon.
Back to top Go down
Scryangi
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
Scryangi

PostSubject: Re: Do Tinies have guns?   Do Tinies have guns? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2014 11:34 am

Bandur Khan wrote:
The smallest Caliber known to me is 2mm Pinfire. To fire such a small Projectile all You need is a thin Layer of Fulminate of Mercury - an Alchimist for Example could easily produce this (and if he is not the luckiest One, also seriously blow himself up trying it). So no Gun Powder is needed in this Case.
Years ago I had the Opportunity to test one of these Micro Guns and used small Lead Pieces as Projectiles - at least over a Distance of 2 Meters You can penetrate a Newspaper ( an Equivalent of killing a Canary). And getting Metal should not be a Problem - look, what Humans are wasting all Day. So just go for their Garbage. If You are small (and thus talented), You probably can build Yourself a friggin´ Tank.

Another defensive Method would be Sort of a small `Super Soaker´ loaded with hard reeking Stuff, Tear Solvent - or a pheromonic Marker, that lets a `sprayed´ Predator suddenly seem to be attractive for even bigger ones. If You are really looking for something kicking some huge Butt, You will find something - like a special Skin Lotion that will let You reek and taste horrible (and perhaps poisonous - like the Moses Fish who is easily able to gross out Sharks).

You know Ladybirds - these small red Bugs with tiny black Spots? No Bird with two working Brain Cells would ever, EVER eat one of them. Because if he does, he will throw up and ending dizzy for at least two Weeks with a very bad Taste in the Throat. So You see, You can load a 2mm-Gun with poisonous Thorns too. Nail them like a big Fish with a Harpoon.

I love you, you know that? This is all wonderful news to me. :3
Back to top Go down
ravaging vixen
ravaging vixen

PostSubject: Re: Do Tinies have guns?   Do Tinies have guns? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2014 11:44 am

Bandur Khan wrote:

Ha ha ha ha this is new news to me xD that is awesome. I guess with creativity and imagination anything is possible! Even in this reality xD
Back to top Go down
Bandur Khan
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
Bandur Khan

PostSubject: Re: Do Tinies have guns?   Do Tinies have guns? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2014 10:31 pm

Glad I can help - when it goes to McGyver-Stuff, Survival and exotic Weaponry - I´m the Gun Nut You can count on!

Like the Arch Decan of the `Flintology Church´ (Flinte is German, meaning Gewehr - Rifle. This is a running Gag by my Friends, calling me this).

But no kidding - You can harm and cripple somebody with a mere Newspaper, if You have to. No Steven Seagal is needed to kick some Butts - may they as big as they want. My Experience: The bigger they are- the easier to hit.
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: Do Tinies have guns?   Do Tinies have guns? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 10:39 am

Bandur Khan wrote:

O.o Pretty powerful little gun! Heh funny you describe how a tech mechanist/black smith would use left over human used scrap metal as that's what I described Zipper, my Neera "Gadgeteer", as doing.

[quote=The Wrath of Bandur Khan]Another defensive Method would be Sort of a small `Super Soaker´ loaded with hard reeking Stuff, Tear Solvent - or a pheromonic Marker, that lets a `sprayed´ Predator suddenly seem to be attractive for even bigger ones. If You are really looking for something kicking some huge Butt, You will find something - like a special Skin Lotion that will let You reek and taste horrible (and perhaps poisonous - like the Moses Fish who is easily able to gross out Sharks). [/quote]

XD Stinkin' Super Soaker sounds amusing. Especially since pressure mechanics are the same no mater what size I'm pretty sure. Love the pheromonic marker too! It makes good sense but it'd have to be something particularly potent and fast acting and designed to attract the specefic predator...Harvesting it might be a problem for a tiny. I do seem to remember a flower who produced bubbles that when they burst on contact emitted a blast of "love pollen" or something that basically makes you want to get all hot and bothered right away without any chance to control the impulses. Something like that saved Rachel from becoming a fairy snack in Prinny's story. I forgot if he referenced it by name though...Ah wait! Something like that would be in Vivian's Garden I'm sure so we just look at her profile. Huh nothing definitive....Ah well still a good idea and I may have to craft some artifact bios on this stuff if you don't!

Bandur Khan wrote:

Yet another brilliant idea! O.o Thoust should go into the Tiny Arms business. You would make a fortune! ...Well it'd be a fortune in Libcora Seeds or such but still a fortune!
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: Do Tinies have guns?   Do Tinies have guns? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 10:53 am

Sure they have guns, but only pea-shooters ;P
Back to top Go down
http://helia.net63.net
ravaging vixen
ravaging vixen

PostSubject: Re: Do Tinies have guns?   Do Tinies have guns? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 10:57 am

Pea shooters from hell paramecium! if they can be anything like bandur khan described here, they'll be the most irritating SOBs for their larger prey when trying to get away xD
Back to top Go down
Bandur Khan
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
Bandur Khan

PostSubject: Re: Do Tinies have guns?   Do Tinies have guns? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2014 11:27 am

You do not necessarily need to be big for being deadly. Look at this small orange octopus with blue rings all over it. It's venomous like Hell. Oh... are there any Sea Cones in the felaryan oceans? Jiroquanji jellyfish? You only need the slightiest quantums of their Poisons and sting someone with this, how big they ever ma be... and then you may lean back and enjoy the marvellous show that is going to unfold, I swear...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do Tinies have guns?   Do Tinies have guns? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do Tinies have guns?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next