Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Creatures for the Imoreith Tundra

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Echo
Helpless prey
Echo

New Creatures for the Imoreith Tundra Empty
PostSubject: New Creatures for the Imoreith Tundra   New Creatures for the Imoreith Tundra Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2012 11:01 am

After following the progress of Felarya for a while, I have noticed the lack of creatures in the Imoreith Tundra so i decided to try and make one up.

The name is to be decided, This race of Naga-like sentient Wurms live in the extreme cold conditions. The primary looks of these creatures revolves around the cold weather, making them half an armored tail. because of the extreme cold they tend to burrow underground when sleeping or setting an ambush for prey.They have claws for digging underground as well as a series of spines on their heads that resonate with the terrain making it easy to move underground.

The social interaction between to these creatures is severely limited for the massive size they can grow to. While the mother watches the young, the male is almost immediately ousted from the den the mother created. seeing more than one of these together at any point would be a miracle.

Hunting habits tend range from anything including things small than humans to anything just under their current size, even other of the same kind can fall prey to their own kind if food is scarce enough. Because of the scarcity of food on the frozen wastes, A Wurm's digestive process takes a considerably long time. The personality of the individual decides the morality of what it food. Because of the Tundra's odd acoustic anomalies, sounds can travel a far distance or can go a very little distance. The Wurm has a series of pressure sensitive pads on their necks that are full of hot gas making the surface of the pad be able to feel the vibrations of sounds being made from an extreme distance away.

Wurms have the ability to warm themselves by releasing the pockets of gas from their necks, while temporarily deafening themselves until the gas refills.The other method of warming up is to burrow and curl up or find a near by heat vent underground in the most extreme conditions. The visibility Wurms have is that of a standard Human. The ice plain can get extremely bright because of the light reflection on the snow, this forces Wurms eyes to turn into a slit during the day but able to open up during the night.

Image concepts
have to wait for 7 days before I can post pictures =(

Thanks for reading

Leave a comment

Last edited by Echolancer on Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:43 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : I was told my description needed refinement, I feel this is good but I am always uncertian)
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: New Creatures for the Imoreith Tundra   New Creatures for the Imoreith Tundra Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2012 11:13 am

Welcome to the forum Echolancer.

First thing's first though. -Takes a deep breath- you should probably go introduce yourself in the introduction thread first~

As for the creature, I can imagine there'd be a few possible directions you could go with that. The Imoreith Tundra is very cold though, having human skin wouldn't make a lot of sense. You might want to start off by putting that in at least a paragraph though instead of listing it off. You'd want to cover looks in more detail, maybe add something, as a tauric worm is what I'm imagining right now, but an anthro one could be nice and creepy ^^. Depending if this is meant to be a sentient creature or not you'd want to cover various bits of culture: hunting, social life, possibly how they work in groups, raising young, but out of all you'd want to give us an idea as to how they survive in the cold. The name isn't actually that important, its more of a place holder until you find something better Razz.

Certainly you're right: Imoreith Tundra doesn't have a lot of content in it.
Back to top Go down
Zephyr102
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Zephyr102

PostSubject: Re: New Creatures for the Imoreith Tundra   New Creatures for the Imoreith Tundra Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2012 4:25 pm

When one exhales warm air and then walks through that air, are you gaining any net heat? No, you're not. Any heat a Wurm generates is not going to be increased when the gas-pad bursts. This is Felarya, so I'm used to seeing silly physics, but that violates the laws of thermodynamics in a way that bothers me significantly.

I always figured that a cold-climate half snake would be rather scaly instead of human-looking, for better heat retention, as seen in this linked picture:
http://hijiribe.donmai.us/data/f11b14c40cef97eb7afbd35868d58725.jpg
Or this:
http://hijiribe.donmai.us/data/e8430953cc9fbf4bdc9235dffd34d549.jpg
Well, sans the actual clothing. Anyway, I could provide more scaly snake-girl pics, but you get the point, hopefully. Obviously I don't control what you do, but we already have plenty of subspecies of Naga that don't look terribly unique from one another. Even the Arctic Nagas just look kind of blue.

It would be nice if you could explain why they are solitary creatures. It seems like cuddling close for warmth would be a good idea, but then again, the scarcity of food might make it impractical for them to live close together.

Finally, try separating information into relevant chunks that are easy to tell apart. I can help you with proofreading it if you'd like.

Overall, they show promise, but need some fleshing out.

Last edited by Zephyr102 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: New Creatures for the Imoreith Tundra   New Creatures for the Imoreith Tundra Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2012 5:53 pm

Zephyr, your images aren't showing, and Bael, he did introduce himself.
Echo, I agree with Zephyr regarding thermodynamics. Perhaps doing that would make the wurm feel warmer on its skin, but overall this would reduce its total thermal energy and thus be a dangerous stunt to pull on a below-freezing day. Kinda like how drinking alcohol doesn't warm you up - just makes your skin warmer at the expense of your core temperature.
The rest looks okay enough, albeit with the standard suspension of disbelief. I do have a question: what makes it a "wurm", insofar as differences between it and a particularly cold-hardy naga? Generally the term "wurm" is used in reference to a dragon, or even a worm-beast, so the context is peculiar.
Back to top Go down
http://helia.net63.net
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: New Creatures for the Imoreith Tundra   New Creatures for the Imoreith Tundra Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2012 9:10 pm

parameciumkid wrote:
Zephyr, your images aren't showing, and Bael, he did introduce himself.

When I said that, it was to his first post, which was this thread.
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: New Creatures for the Imoreith Tundra   New Creatures for the Imoreith Tundra Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 8:26 pm

Echo, I just ran across this thing and thought you ought to know about it: http://felarya.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fauna8#Ice_Wyrm
I'm not saying it's the same thing by any stretch, but it does have a similar name and you might want to be aware of it so as to not end up making your thing too similar. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://helia.net63.net
Echo
Helpless prey
Echo

PostSubject: Re: New Creatures for the Imoreith Tundra   New Creatures for the Imoreith Tundra Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 10:00 pm

I did see this and read it thoroughly, however the description is not the same in terms of biology, but there are some similarities, I believe that the differences are very extreme. I may be wrong in the eyes of others, but I'm still under the impression this race is still unique, regardless of the name since it can still be changed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Creatures for the Imoreith Tundra   New Creatures for the Imoreith Tundra Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Creatures for the Imoreith Tundra
Page 1 of 1