Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Digestion

Go down 
+7
parameciumkid
Archmage_Bael
hhhat09
Shady Knight
Nyaha
Amaroq
Chihiro Fujisaki
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Chihiro Fujisaki
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Chihiro Fujisaki

Digestion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digestion   Digestion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 7:56 pm

Okay, now that I can agree on both accounts, what EG said. Felarya should not change for people like me, I agree. On the issue of snakes, I am aware of that, but my point is that animal is usually dead within a couple minutes, if that. They are not alive through the digestion process.
Back to top Go down
EvilGenius
Marauder of the deep jungle

Digestion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digestion   Digestion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 8:42 am

Shadow17 wrote:
Okay, now that I can agree on both accounts, what EG said. Felarya should not change for people like me, I agree. On the issue of snakes, I am aware of that, but my point is that animal is usually dead within a couple minutes, if that. They are not alive through the digestion process.

This, I agree with. While organisms are frequently consumed alive in nature, they die long before the process of digestion really gets anywhere, be it from suffocation or the wounds sustained in their capture.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Digestion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digestion   Digestion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 11:22 am

I really don't enjoy arguing, so I'm going to clarify this.

EvilGenius wrote:
Not a few, a lot. It takes a very specific set of sharp teeth to tear flesh as most would simply snap off from the strain. Funny you should bring up snakes as they are a very good example of this. Tiny, needle teeth meant to serve to get a better grip on the prey to drag it down their throat easier. They do not kill with their teeth unless it is indirectly through venom. They are somewhat of a special case since they do consume such large prey proportionately. Most simply capture and consume much smaller prey. When it is eaten it is usually whole, and often still alive as well.

Actually only the really really huge snakes have sets of teeth, like anacondas. Most of them have fangs which are angled backward to keep prey from squirming out.

Most creatures still dont eat prey whole and alive. When I say a few, I'm not saying that none can - the killer whale can (blue whales cant, they have the smallest throats ever. cant even swallow a grapefruit), frogs can, and a few others.

Oh, and stabs will love this one: The Black Swallower. Its like God and the Devil got drunk and created the most absurd animal they could. It can swallow things larger than itself. (ten bucks says stabs knows about it already, though - its too crazy for him not to have had previous knowledge of Razz )

...However, most creatures dismember, or tear into chunks, then swallow (wolves, crocodiles, sharks, etc). A few swallow alive and whole. A few. More chew.

Now for some Hilarity, because this conversation is too serious now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnydFmqHuVo

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Back to top Go down
EvilGenius

Digestion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digestion   Digestion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 1:47 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Actually only the really really huge snakes have sets of teeth, like anacondas. Most of them have fangs which are angled backward to keep prey from squirming out.

This is absolutely not true. The only snakes without teeth are snakes that eat eggs. Fangs have a single purpose and that is to deliver venom. They are far too fragile to be used to get a grip, in fact, many snakes are capable of folding their fangs back out of the way to prevent damaging them while they eat. Also, since you bring up anacondas, their prey does not "squirm out" They crush the air out of it's lungs and hold it still until it suffocates, then use their comparatively small teeth to hold on to it as they force it down their throat. They frequently consume prey so large that their skin tears from stretching around it.

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Most creatures still dont eat prey whole and alive. When I say a few, I'm not saying that none can - the killer whale can (blue whales cant, they have the smallest throats ever. cant even swallow a grapefruit), frogs can, and a few others.

Again, not true, most swallow whole, frequently still alive. The domain of chewing prey remains mostly in the mammal family. Tearing into chunks is more common, but swallowing whole and alive is seen absolutely everywhere.
Back to top Go down
Chihiro Fujisaki
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Chihiro Fujisaki

Digestion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digestion   Digestion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 2:09 pm

To get this back on track, the point of the thread is to discuss how humans are "digested alive" in Felarya, which is completely false. A human swallowed by a giant predator would not live very long, a few minutes at best. The throat would be crushing, there would not be enough oxygen to maintain consciousness unless you have some salvalophytha, it is absurd. The painful terrible death we seem to envision is a lie, it is more like falling asleep.
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

Digestion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digestion   Digestion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 3:16 pm

The throat is not crushing, shadow. This has been brought up earlier, of course, and it was pointed out that the muscle movements happen behind the swallowed object. otherwise, it wouldn't go down if it was pressed together in the middle of a ring of muscle, right? The only moment it can be crushing is if the person gets stuck in the way down. The one doing the swallowing feels pain when this happens, so you can imagine the outcome for the one swallowed.

Regarding digestion, I had developed a few theories and workarounds as part of my biological considerations on taurs, but I considered back then that digestion seems to be one of those small mysteries that it's better to leave up to the writer or not explained at all. There's a limit to what realism can make with a stomach, a lot of people have different views, and most importantly, a stomach is a very important part of the vore fetish, so that's a further reason to not impose a model on everyone. Just as magic is described with a few guidelines for specific things, digestion should be general and only mention certain perks of specific races.
Back to top Go down
tkh1304
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
tkh1304

Digestion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digestion   Digestion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2014 6:42 pm

I'm not sure if air can be moved into the stomach, but in some stories I read, the preds often gasped a lot of air to make their preys alive and kicking (literally) for a longer while to enjoy the sensation.

Some species does not even need the swallowing process, such as Darkness Elementals, Dusk Nymphs or Canopy Faries who can just let the preys walk "straight" into the stomach.
Back to top Go down
http://tkh1304.deviantart.com
Sponsored content

Digestion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digestion   Digestion - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Digestion
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2