Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Felaryan Technology

Go down 
+7
vegeta002
Raveolution
zelda31
Archmage_Bael
Malahite
ZionAtriedes
Flare
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Flare
Survivor
Survivor
Flare

Felaryan Technology Empty
PostSubject: Felaryan Technology   Felaryan Technology Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 2:55 pm

Something I was curious about as of late was the tech found in Felarya. Like with my character, Flare, she has a few techno-magical gadgets that she uses as part of everyday life, they work using special crystals that come from her homeworld that stores elemental energy. Technomancy in a nutshell is a fusion of magic and technology, typically machines that is powered by magic. It can be something as complex as a war golem, or as simple as a lantern.

Technomancical objects tend to share the same weakness: The crystals that provide power to them. If someone manages to seal it away it's power, the crystal becomes unusable. Also once drained, the crystals need to be charged again. However the process is lengthly, and often requires a catylist of the same element as the crystal's energy beforehand, otherwise the crystal will shatter in an explosion of deadly shrapnel.

Now I'm still working out a number of details yet. And I'm willing to hear suggestions as well.

Now, what other technologies are out there...
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Technology   Felaryan Technology Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 5:35 pm

Allow me to partially answer your question by giving a few details about Gaean technology. Although Zion and Co. were not armed with a lot of gear when they arrived in Felarya, who knows what can happen...? Hm? Foreshadowing? Perhaps.

Gaeans have a power source similar to technomantic systems. It really relies more on "magical" (Gaeans tend to avoid that term, as it usually brings up archaic and superstitious concepts) energies inherent in the air... meaning Felarya would provide a very useful power source. Some vehicles and buildings run on nuclear fission or efficient solar power, but most settlements have a wireless shared power matrix (see the Protoss psionic matrix or the Wardenclyffe Tower). Gaeans are masters of utilizing ambient energy inherent in quantum reactions, whether in the human body, or in "charged" areas (*cough*Like Felarya!*cough cough*). Many, like Zion, can use this energy without the use of special equipment. This probably developed because Gaea is very rich in ambient eldritch energies, though not nearly to the scale Felarya is.

Despite their usage of ambient energy, laser-based weaponry isn't too common. There are some that use lasers or masers (good examples are long-range sniper rifles, or cutter rifles), but most are projectile-based, as laser weapons can use up valuable energy. Since Gaea has a slight vampire infestation and a few dark cults, "holy" energy can be found woven into the sub-atomic structure of "blessed" weapons, usually blades, because doing it with bullets is very inefficient. More common than simple metal slugs, however, are "boom bullets", or small rockets fired by large, compact handguns. Rapid-fire guns use caseless shells that are fired electrically (like Metal Storm's stuff), with the battery being powered by ambient energies.

Gaeans are more advanced than Earth humans, but because their history directly stems from an Earth colonization team and a war between the colonists and invaders in what we'd consider the semi-far future (I'm thinking about two hundred years in the future). Of course, a lot of their original history was lost, but Gaeans are aware that humanity does not come form their world.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Technology   Felaryan Technology Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 6:07 pm

That I know of:

Miratan: Beyond modern in most things, behind in only a few (such as Space). Have decent armour, somehow worked out efficient Combat Mechs, etc.

Deluran: Heard anywhere between 19th Century and 21st Century (experience with computers and such leads me to believe closer to the later).

Othem: Are stated to be "highly advanced technologically". Depending on the context, you could take this to mean something similar to Deluran's low-end (advanced compared to the villages) to beyond even the Miratans when it comes to off-world assets (Space Ships, Rail Guns, etc?). Odds are they've got things at least as good as 'us' (real world).

Negav: At least late Renaissance, considering descriptions I hear of cannons and all. From what I've heard, they probably pretty close to Delurans for and average.

Those are the main factions I can think of with a notable presence. As for my own ideas? I'm not very creative, so most of my stuff follows generic Sci-Fi / Space Opera 'realism'. Most people I observe who do magi-tech work off the same crystal-powered devices. Furthermore, the examples of tech I see are usually very swiftly swiped under the carpet or wanked to no end. .50cals that patter off Naga's skin like rain for the former (so these must be using pretty low penetration ammunition) to stuff like 7.62mm rifles that can apparently drive off Predators in small numbers due to the risk they pose under sustained fire (so high penetration there). Average tech I see tends to be around Deluran level.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Technology   Felaryan Technology Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 6:23 pm

Malahite wrote:
Othem
Hold on a tick... there's a civilization called the "Othem"? Crud. That's one of my main character's names... no relation ot said civilization, of course.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Technology   Felaryan Technology Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 7:22 pm

ZionAtriedes wrote:
Malahite wrote:
Othem
Hold on a tick... there's a civilization called the "Othem"? Crud. That's one of my main character's names... no relation ot said civilization, of course.
Othem isn't so much a 'civilization' as a 'religion'. The Doctrine of the Sun God, to be precise. Funnily enough, something screamed "Imperials!" in my head when I first read their description.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Technology   Felaryan Technology Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 8:11 pm

Malahite wrote:
ZionAtriedes wrote:
Malahite wrote:
Othem
Othem isn't so much a 'civilization' as a 'religion'. The Doctrine of the Sun God, to be precise. Funnily enough, something screamed "Imperials!" in my head when I first read their description.
I see what you mean.

Heh... does the Sun God know he shares a name with a Jurdean apprentice? I originally got the name, because, well... the Jurdean idea was obviously inspired by the Fremen. And a very famous Fremen was Otheym... and I removed the "y".
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Technology   Felaryan Technology Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 10:16 pm

ok we are talking about technology right? not religions and civilizations? well anyway, you can classify different types of societies having different technologies they brought from their homeworld, however I just dont think we should have lasers and high tech weaponry that can completely own a predator because that just takes away the "pred" status, and I also think that the dimensional warps into the world would render some machinery ineffective.

As for Techno-magic systems or whatever you want to call them, I have thought of some equipment that mages can use, but I don't have type of techno-magic systems specified.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Technology   Felaryan Technology Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 3:46 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
however I just dont think we should have lasers and high tech weaponry that can completely own a predator because that just takes away the "pred" status, and I also think that the dimensional warps into the world would render some machinery ineffective.
Yeah... that's the point of weaponry. Some authors prefer to level the playing field, and not just portray humans as helpless twits that can't fight back. For instance, my characters have pwnzed several preds in the 13 chapters (so far) of their saga. However, as I did say in my latest chapter, it's because the preds haven't been organized.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Technology   Felaryan Technology Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 4:32 am

Weaponry to defend themselves against Predators is necessary, unless you want to see Felarya as a solely vore universe. In that case you might as well completely ignore Negav, Nekomura, and the Miratan Base's existence, seeing as they're meant to be 'safe'.

The Guardians of Felarya also don't seem to mind people being able to defend themselves. Instead, they seem to take issue when the status-quo is in danger. Got a weapon capable of defending yourself? Fine by them. Equipping a whole army with them and going on a purge to cleanse a couple square miles of jungle from their current occupants? You can bet they're going to take some action against you.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Technology   Felaryan Technology Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 10:11 am

Malahite wrote:
The Guardians of Felarya also don't seem to mind people being able to defend themselves. Instead, they seem to take issue when the status-quo is in danger. Got a weapon capable of defending yourself? Fine by them. Equipping a whole army with them and going on a purge to cleanse a couple square miles of jungle from their current occupants? You can bet they're going to take some action against you.
Which is why the Jurdeans barely manage to stay under the radar. Though they hunt preds, their technology and magic skills are not quite enough to pose a major threat. Plus, they hunt to maintain the status quo, to continue the cycle of life and death that is complicated by the immortality factor and lack of "pred predators".
Back to top Go down
zelda31
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Technology   Felaryan Technology Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 9:47 am

ok you are over looking 2 factions here the people in the jungle bowl and kallista's cult though branch in ferlarya ain't very advance at the moment
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Technology   Felaryan Technology Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 12:05 pm

Quote :
ok you are over looking 2 factions here
Othem, Negav, Delurans, Miratans, Jurdeans, the weapon producers Delicious Kevin suggested, nearly every non-magical / predator generic bad guys in Felarya RP's...

There's definitely more than two factions with technology coming close to ours (if not surpasing in fields). One must remember though that: 1) Felarya is big, 2) None of these people are bringing their full force to bear / launching crusades against Felarya, and 3) Predators are still pretty numerous. The map on the Wiki is not all the Predators above-ground in the area near Negav, Ur-Sagol, etc. There are countless unnamed Predators within the area. Every named character on Felarya could be wiped out right now, and with the exception of a minor few there'd be no shift in the balance of power.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Technology   Felaryan Technology Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 5:45 pm

I just had serious deja vu, I know I've seen that post before. I'm not saying you've already done it, but it looks really familiar. Maybe I'm psychic.

But yeah, you're right. No one can launch a major strike. That keeps the balance.
Back to top Go down
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Technology   Felaryan Technology Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 3:40 am

Malahite wrote:
Weaponry to defend themselves against Predators is necessary, unless you want to see Felarya as a solely vore universe. In that case you might as well completely ignore Negav, Nekomura, and the Miratan Base's existence, seeing as they're meant to be 'safe'.

What about humans joining forces not to drive the preds into extinction but to put themselves up as #1 on the food chain?
Back to top Go down
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
vegeta002

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Technology   Felaryan Technology Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 3:50 am

Raveolution wrote:
Malahite wrote:

What about humans joining forces not to drive the preds into extinction but to put themselves up as #1 on the food chain?

Status quo.
Back to top Go down
http://vegeta002.deviantart.com/
Flare
Survivor
Survivor
Flare

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Technology   Felaryan Technology Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 10:43 am

Different ideological goals?
Back to top Go down
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Technology   Felaryan Technology Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 3:05 am

vegeta002 wrote:
Raveolution wrote:
Malahite wrote:

Status quo.
I wonder about that, sometimes.
The guardians would take action if humans purged a couple square miles of jungle, but if you look in the Felaryan Wiki they've had no problems with entire towns being wiped out (see: Crisis and that neko tribe). That's gotta be a few square miles of human territory apiece. There's tons of examples of humans being kidnapped as children by preds and growing up helping preds to eat their fellow humans (and hints of teenage kids getting eaten), but aside from maybe Rin, there are no preds (at least no canonical ones) who defend humans (aside from their one particular human friend) from other preds. You even have a human mage who feeds humans to his fairy wife. Anyone ever heard of any fairy who turns coat on her own species like that?

I suspect the answer is 'no' becaus the guardians enforcie that status quo...
Back to top Go down
French snack
French snack

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Technology   Felaryan Technology Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 3:17 am

Raveolution wrote:
aside from maybe Rin, there are no preds (at least no canonical ones) who defend humans (aside from their one particular human friend) from other preds.

Jade. (Is she considered canon? I think she is.)

Quote :

Anyone ever heard of any fairy who turns coat on her own species like that?

Funny you should mention that... I wrote such a (minor) character just yesterday into the chapter I'm currently writing. She's very minor, though, and I don't really intend her to be recurring.

Quote :

I don't see why guardians would prevent anyone from protecting occasional prey...
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Technology   Felaryan Technology Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 11:39 am

French snack wrote:
Raveolution wrote:
aside from maybe Rin, there are no preds (at least no canonical ones) who defend humans (aside from their one particular human friend) from other preds.

Jade. (Is she considered canon? I think she is.)

Umm...how about Cypress? she's kind of important and she protects humans. Fiona helps some of the humans she comes across, although she doesn't protect any group in particular.

...and if Jade isn't canon yet (I believe she is) Then its only a matter of time.

Quote :

Anyone ever heard of any fairy who turns coat on her own species like that?

Quote :

Funny you should mention that... I wrote such a (minor) character just yesterday into the chapter I'm currently writing. She's very minor, though, and I don't really intend her to be recurring.

Raina, my fairy, doesn't eat humans at all, and is a healer who helps humans and predators alike. She isnt canon yet though...but im working on that =P

Quote :

Quote :

I don't see why guardians would prevent anyone from protecting occasional prey...

Umm...because they wouldn't. The guardians couldn't care less about predators and humans being friends or protecting eachother. That isnt their concern. The only things they care about are serious, immediate threats to Felarya. They don't enforce any kind of staus quo, they just make sure the world's balance doesn't get disturbed or destroyed.
Back to top Go down
The Rev
Hero
Hero
The Rev

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Technology   Felaryan Technology Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 8:48 pm

Sorry if it seems like I'm butting in, but what determines an OC to become canon?
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Technology   Felaryan Technology Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 9:09 pm

The Rev wrote:
Sorry if it seems like I'm butting in, but what determines an OC to become canon?
Pretty sure it's "overall acceptance of the community" mixed with "accepted by Karbo" and "fits the Felaryan realm". Legal issues are also brought into consideration.
Back to top Go down
lami
Veteran knight
Veteran knight

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Technology   Felaryan Technology Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 9:16 pm

Flare wrote:
Something I was curious about as of late was the tech found in Felarya. Like with my character, Flare, she has a few techno-magical gadgets that she uses as part of everyday life, they work using special crystals that come from her homeworld that stores elemental energy. Technomancy in a nutshell is a fusion of magic and technology, typically machines that is powered by magic. It can be something as complex as a war golem, or as simple as a lantern.

Technomancical objects tend to share the same weakness: The crystals that provide power to them. If someone manages to seal it away it's power, the crystal becomes unusable. Also once drained, the crystals need to be charged again. However the process is lengthly, and often requires a catylist of the same element as the crystal's energy beforehand, otherwise the crystal will shatter in an explosion of deadly shrapnel.

Now I'm still working out a number of details yet. And I'm willing to hear suggestions as well.

Now, what other technologies are out there...
i've always been under the impression that naga and native species predators dont have much in the way of technology and that most of their learning came from the oddballs more curious in their preys gadgets than how they tasted. the humans seem to be somewhere around medieval technology, but ultimately since many humans enter felarya from somewhere else, its probable that the technology is simply going to depend on the group of people.

Ultimately with the exception of guardian intervention, I never really cared too much about technology levels never being outright stated, because while an unlucky soldier or explorer of modern society would make a nice stack, our modern technology would wreak hell on these 'evil' creatures if we ever showed up there. so its certainly a nice thing to just handwave down to flavor than fully detail.
Back to top Go down
The Rev
Hero
Hero
The Rev

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Technology   Felaryan Technology Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 9:17 pm

Malahite wrote:
The Rev wrote:
Pretty sure it's "overall acceptance of the community" mixed with "accepted by Karbo" and "fits the Felaryan realm". Legal issues are also brought into consideration.

Sounds good to me Laughing .
Back to top Go down
lami
Veteran knight
Veteran knight

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Technology   Felaryan Technology Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 9:30 pm

The Rev wrote:
Malahite wrote:
The Rev wrote:

Sounds good to me Laughing .
its basically this plus a big number of chance, the number of people who have free time to be big decider's in felarya ((iirc just karbo)) don't have alot of time to truly make it a living canon and grade works as canon and AU, I've actualy been to a community like that and it takes alot of time, reading, and effort to maintain from multiple people.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Technology   Felaryan Technology Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 9:30 pm

lami wrote:
the humans seem to be somewhere around medieval technology,
In most depictions, yes. Surprisingly though, there's four canonical factions within the part of the map we're shown at least medieval, some equal to or beyond modern tech in certain fields.

People just don't like drawing guns, I'm guessing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Technology   Felaryan Technology Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Felaryan Technology
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next