Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Culture, History, and other bits.

Go down 
+15
/Fish/
Sillysausage
gwadahunter2222
Karbo
Schnurz
timing2
L'Ryn
Silent_eric
French snack
Jætte_Troll
rcs619
GiantessFanXXX
Malahite
Anime-Junkie
Archmage_Bael
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Culture, History, and other bits. Empty
PostSubject: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 10:42 am

Thats what we need in Felarya now. We have a lot of mention of different species, and we can keep coming up with traits for them to make them seem more real, but what defines a world is the culture and history of the different species. If we can make Felarya's world seem longer, and more ancient, we can get a better feeling and more fleshed out world.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 11:06 am

As I said in the IRC, I wholeheartedly agree with you.
I think that some Ur-Sagol legends would be in order. Maybe some Negav Urban Legends (which could also be very old considering the indefinite life span of anything in Felarya).
And we must have "Tales of the Naga Tribes." (Geddit? lol!)
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 11:11 am

*gives A-J a Naga in the biggest box ever seen*

anyway, the naga tales. (-_-Wink are a good idea. what about cultural things for the predators?
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 11:39 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
*gives A-J a Naga in the biggest box ever seen*
Aww... Ya shouldn't have... Very Happy

Archmage_Bael wrote:
anyway, the naga tales. (-_-Wink are a good idea. what about cultural things for the predators?
I think that we could have such things as:
"The (Creation of) The Dryad Network"
Fairy Tales (Couldn't resist)
Driddler... Something... Driddler Legends? Neutral
I'm not sure that nagas would have many legends or myths, they don't seem to have the society for it (correct me If I'm wrong there).

We gotta have this too: 'Neko Yarns" (I'm just full of puns tonight).
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 10:41 pm

well we'd want something for naga's just to make it fair. I don't wanna incur crisis' wrath because I decided not to include her. O_O

anyway for dridders what about "legs of passion" or "web-masters"
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 9:02 am

Er, aren't most Predators not civilized? Furthermore, don't most of the Predators only interact with a small number of other Preds - even less outside their species?

Dridders and Fairies I could see culture being made for easily, but you'd have a bit of trouble for things like Nagas and Slug Girls considering the greatest connection most seem to have is the Vore-Gods they worship.
Back to top Go down
GiantessFanXXX
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle
GiantessFanXXX

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 9:09 am

i believe the younger naga's the ones that are human sized anyway i believe that they would live in secluded human like villages.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 10:08 am

I imagine the only predators with any kind of culture would be dridders, fairies and communal species like Gypsa. Even those cultures would very from each clan, pack and hive respectively.

Most predators live in the wild. The only interaction they have with other predators is from their parents, their family and their group of friends.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 10:15 am

Huh. I guess that maybe a lot of the wild non tribal predator culture may be similar. We see that they worship the same gods. It seems likely that a slug girl and naga, for example, would share lots of the same tales, or the versions that are passed down in their family.

But I think there would at least be a separation in culture between land and sea dwelling predators I guess. And harpies seem to have their own... culture.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 10:24 am

Jætte_Troll wrote:
Huh. I guess that maybe a lot of the wild non tribal predator culture may be similar. We see that they worship the same gods. It seems likely that a slug girl and naga, for example, would share lots of the same tales, or the versions that are passed down in their family.

But I think there would at least be a separation in culture between land and sea dwelling predators I guess. And harpies seem to have their own... culture.

Well, I imagine the lore of Felarya will be common knowledge. I mean, Dryads can communicate mind to mind to share information...and harpies fly all over. Rumors, stories, and so on would quickly spread all over.
Back to top Go down
French snack
French snack

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 3:26 pm

Tomthumbs, such as I see them, have distinct societies. I've developed their way of life a teensy bit, but looking into their history could be interesting. Hmm...
Back to top Go down
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 4:52 pm

French snack wrote:
Tomthumbs, such as I see them, have distinct societies. I've developed their way of life a teensy bit, but looking into their history could be interesting. Hmm...

The only problem of a history of Tomthumbs is that in, say, a radius of on mile, there could be a dozen tomthumb societies, each radically different and with their own trials, tribulations and unique history.

There really can be no overall culture. And while there is history, it's not as cut and dry as on a more... civilized world. Most of the predators just go day to day living and having fun. Hardly any predators have any sort of ties outside of other nearby predators they are friendly with.

It all comes down to territory. Each living thing on Felarya stakes out a living on a plot of land. Humans and nekos band together, and take only what territory they can defend from the jungle. Others attempt to hide inside the territories of a pred, hoping not to get caught.

The 'history' of Felarya can largely be reduced to the rise and quick fall of most humanoid communities. Only Negav has stood the test of time.

All this is simply conjecture on my part of course.
Back to top Go down
http://silenteric.deviantart.com/
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 9:53 pm

Well, that suggests that nothing important has ever happened to the predators. Surely some things affected a good deal of the population at one time?

On the other hand, small groups may keep small records of history, for that area or clan. Remember that lots of the predators are really old so they would have a lot to remember and record if they wanted to.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 10:25 pm

Jætte_Troll wrote:
Well, that suggests that nothing important has ever happened to the predators. Surely some things affected a good deal of the population at one time?
Like? There's no diseases to remember, no major fires that seem to have had a noticeable effect, natural disasters in general seem rare. Only "important" thing I could think of is something similar to the rivalry between Dridders and Nagas.
Quote :
On the other hand, small groups may keep small records of history,
Er... what? Most of the Predator species don't have any sort of written language. Any "records" they'd keep would have to be something simple, like a verbal account kept in some sort of magic crystal or the like.
Quote :
Remember that lots of the predators are really old so they would have a lot to remember and record if they wanted to.
Record on what, though? They tend to be illiterate. Best way I can think to have a "record" for them is just telling all of their contacts and hoping one remembers should they forget.
Back to top Go down
L'Ryn
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
L'Ryn

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 10:49 pm

Jætte_Troll wrote:
Remember that lots of the predators are really old so they would have a lot to remember and record if they wanted to.

Uhhhm, eighty is not actually that old for predators on Felarya.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 11:11 pm

Well yes, I expect mostly oral storytelling. People kept information that way for a very long time. I know that 80 isn't long for a naga, but timewise things could happen. The Dridder Naga rivalry was actually one I'm thinking of. I'm sure Naga's have some stories on that. Maybe just general fables even, not real stories. Not all nagas are orphans like Crisis - many would have stories given to them by parents.

Speaking of which, I wonder what sort of stories the fairies have...
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 11:58 pm

Malahite wrote:
Er, aren't most Predators not civilized? Furthermore, don't most of the Predators only interact with a small number of other Preds - even less outside their species?
Exactly, which is why I didn't include them in the suggestions for legends.

Malahite wrote:
Dridders and Fairies I could see culture being made for easily, but you'd have a bit of trouble for things like Nagas and Slug Girls considering the greatest connection most seem to have is the Vore-Gods they worship.
My suggestions for the nagas was for the human sized nagas.
Driddlers do have a culture, how else do they have a queen?

Last edited by Anime-Junkie on Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
French snack
French snack

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 12:12 am

Silent_eric wrote:

The only problem of a history of Tomthumbs is that in, say, a radius of on mile, there could be a dozen tomthumb societies, each radically different and with their own trials, tribulations and unique history.

Of course. That's what I've shown so far. Tomthumb societies are diverse. But it might be interesting to look at how one or two of them record their history.

Nagas may have ancestral stories that they pass down, within a family rather than a wider community.

Fairy culture and society would be quite fascinating to look into...
Back to top Go down
timing2
timing2

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 8:17 pm

Anime-Junkie wrote:
Driddlers do have a culture, how else do they have a queen?
Even then, all dridders do not necessarily have a queen. Some hail from different worlds and may have never heard of Sineria. Felarya is a big place, after all.
Back to top Go down
http://timing2.deviantart.com
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 3:17 pm

which shows that they have a culture.

and by the way, i posted a chat log in the new forum about the history of felarya. the chat log is from the irc:

http://felaryanews.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=52
Back to top Go down
Schnurz
Tasty morsel

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 12:38 am

I'd like to add descriptions of cultural features of settlements in Felarya in from of footnotes or travelguide entries. I restrict myself for startes on human villages along the coastline of the mian continent.
If it shapes out very well, maybe I can contríbute to the culture of Dridder or Naga settlements as well. In a teamwork effort, anything could be possible.
Here are two examples, so you can see yourself, what I'm talking about.

Chnurz’ Catalogue of Curious Coastal Customs

Entry 01: The Catapult of Mawport

In the small coastal town Mawport, a strange and unique capital punishment is executed by the local people. On the far side of the harbour, where the terrain gets rocky and almost impassable, a small path leads to a tongue of land stretching out to the deep water like a natural landing stage. The path ends at an odd construction resembling a catapult. Fish, mermaids and other creatures of the sea are engraved in the woodworks. The seating at the business end of the throwing arm features carvings that make it appear like an open maw. The construction is big enough to fling a full-grown human being.
Once, religious events took place on this site. Superstitious fishermen and pearl divers handed over sacrifices adorned with flowers, fruits and special ointments in a festivous ceremony to soothe the destructive forces of the sea. However, the lengthy rituals have come to an abrupt end, when a curious Chlaena surprised and devoured the performing priest and a number of the attendees of the last ceremony.
Since then, the procedure has considerably changed. The cult has dissolved and the town council has ordered the erection of the catapult. Now, the executioner instead of a priest is responsible for the maintenance of the site. Dangerous criminals get punished by being catapulted into the sea. The event is every time well-attended by a cautious audience that gathers on the rocky raise at the beginning of the land tongue. Citizens usually applaud the execution of the spectacle, especially if the criminal is caught by a predator before touching the water surface.
Attendance is for the audience free of entry, children under the age of twelve are to be accompanied by elders.

Chnurz’ Catalogue of Curious Coastal Customs

Entry 02: The Anchored Buildings of Mudville

Many of the buildings of the coastal village Mudville feature a curious yet picturesque architecture that can’t be seen anywhere else on the continent. Especially on houses close to the shoreline, no windows appear beyond the first floor and the entrance can only be reached over ramps or stairs. If one is allowed to visit the inside of one of these buildings, one can see that there is no cellar and the wooden walls converge in the middle of the floor to a bow-like bulge. The house of the mayor even shows the equivalent of a figurehead on the ocean pointed side of the house. For reasons unknown to the author, the unusual decoration looks like a rooster with a fat belly. The uncommon design is in any case completed by strong ropes that tie the building to the precipitous terrain that is so characteristic for this part of the east coast.
The original story behind that tells about a farmer, who was a building a shelter for his sheep, when coincidentally a Naga came about looking for a lunch. Panicked, he lunged into the shelter that promptly flipped over and sledded with its constructor down the slippery slope towards the sea. The speed was enough to carry the farmer in the miraculously only slightly leaking construction into the deep water. Thus, the farmer escaped the Naga, only to be devoured by a Mermaid that happened to pass by.
The idea, however, was recognized to be a great way to evacuate the village in case of emergency, enabling the citizens to not only save their lives but also their riches. Since then, a few of the houses, built in the new style, have already taken to the sea, be it by accident or by the malicious intent of neighbours or pranksters. Most of them have capsized after the water landing and sunk with the precious possessions of their proprietors. Yet the remaining owners of anchored houses are confident that the system will work for them “when time is right” and that the failings of the others have only been unfortunate accidents.
To wander around in the village with saws or axes is considered as felony by the local law.

Insights and comments of improvement are greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 6:01 pm

those are two very good things to start with, thanks Smile i like the first one a lot
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 2:29 am

hehe great ideas here indeed ! I found them really interesting and well thought out, especially the second one Razz
I'll follow this thread closely

I think a page for customs would be a nice addition in the wiki ^_^
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 3:40 pm

thanks Smile

I think a brief, somewhat general background for the felarya's history would be suited for the "customs" page. would history be suited with customs then? since customs as a part of each species would be based on their species' history?

some of this would be common sense, but its good to have it outlined just the same. for example, a thick tree trunk can support many branches Smile

Some brief pointers for the "general" history could be:

*In the beginning it is said that there was one prey species and one predatorial species, but as time went on they evolved depending on location and the amount of magic they know or was gifted with. (like fairies and dryads, and elves and humans)

*different religions sprouted in different areas depending on what part of felarya was abundant in a particular predatorial species (like the elves' goddess, Lloth, if there are elves in her "area")

*Earlier on predators fought more with eachother, and for the prey species. Since the prey was more rare their stomachs evolved to handle different types of food (naga's could have developed strong stomachs at this point due to a possible lack of decent nutrients, forcing them to eat poisonous plants). As prey became more and more abundant predators became lazier, and just strategized where to live due to multiple prey coming in their direction each day.

*the prey species learned different ways to hide, some probably became extinct to due being hunted too much, the successful ones, such as elves and humans slowly became more populous as the centuries and mellinia progressed.

(and maybe the elves could have tried to come up with a sort of "slave" species for them, and created dryads because of that, having elves being the "arrogant" ones for a change, instead of the humans, but this idea may have to be panned out more)

anyway this is what i have so far. just some average obvious stuff, but would nonetheless help as a reference i think.
Back to top Go down
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 5:43 pm

No no no no no no no. I disagree with all of the above there. Can't be can't be.

Prey where never rare. There could never be just one prey species. Same with predators.

Listen, I can tell you put no small amount of work in this, and it's good! Just not Felarya. None of it fits at all. You are forgetting the biggest part, the most important aspect of Felarya.

What you have works fine for some other dimension that isn't Felarya though.
Back to top Go down
http://silenteric.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Culture, History, and other bits.
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next