Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Culture, History, and other bits.

Go down 
+15
/Fish/
Sillysausage
gwadahunter2222
Karbo
Schnurz
timing2
L'Ryn
Silent_eric
French snack
Jætte_Troll
rcs619
GiantessFanXXX
Malahite
Anime-Junkie
Archmage_Bael
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 5:26 am

Well there was no creation of Felarya so to speak, as far as someone can remember, but there was a beginning to it ^^
It's a rather logical one that explains the vore effect and the unstable state of the world now but I prefer to keep it mysterious for now, with just small hints and rumors here and there ^^
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
DeviantDiscordian
Hero
Hero
DeviantDiscordian

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 6:51 am

Karbo wrote:
Well there was no creation of Felarya so to speak, as far as someone can remember, but there was a beginning to it ^^
It's a rather logical one that explains the vore effect and the unstable state of the world now but I prefer to keep it mysterious for now, with just small hints and rumors here and there ^^
Soooo... to sum it up, it's a secret?
Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 3 Xellos
Back to top Go down
http://one---winged---angel.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 9:50 am

Lol the picture XD

well yes ^^
Back to top Go down
FalconJudge
Hero
Hero
FalconJudge

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 3:33 pm

It would suck if we knew. Mystery is half the fun of the world.
Back to top Go down
http://falconjudge2.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 9:13 am

well if karbo already has that in mind, then no need for me to worry Very Happy

I can just think of ideas for the other species Smile
Back to top Go down
pirostyle
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
pirostyle

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 2:35 pm

As long as we're making jokes about the creation of felarya...

...and on the second day... god said, 'Let there be vore'
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 6:30 am

I'm just wondering if this has got a bit off track. Any information about the beginning would be layered under many myths and legends, of which there would be many versions. Ofttimes contradicting each other .
("It was the fourth day that Karbo said "Let there be Vore!"
"No, it was the third!"
"Stupid n00b, everyone knows that there had to be predators to vore the prey first").

It it more likely to be myths and/or legends about the origins of the guardians. (Unless of course they came to being at the creation/spontaneous occurrence of Felarya).

I have a legend of my own concerning this, but I'll wait for a response to the idea of it before posting it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 9:35 am

you mean a legend on the creation of the guardians ?
And I agree with you that legends don't have to be really accurate ^_^
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 6:56 pm

Karbo wrote:
you mean a legend on the creation of the guardians ?
And I agree with you that legends don't have to be really accurate ^_^
Exactly (To both those points).
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 3:53 pm

but of course that would be from the POV of anyone who lives in felarya.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 3:04 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
but of course that would be from the POV of anyone who lives in felarya.
Just asking for a bit of clarification, are you talking about the accuracy of the legends here, or is it something else?
Back to top Go down
Sillysausage
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Sillysausage

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 4:11 am

Hokay, a bedtime story for little driders I made up just now.

Three good driders and three nasty nagas

A very long time ago, three driders and three nagas were friends. They shared their prey, they swapped stories, and played together.

But after a while, the nagas started getting more and more greedy. The driders didn't say anything at first, but after a while, the poor little driders had to go to bed with no supper, because their naga neighbours had eaten it all.

The biggest of the three driders decided to go and talk to the nagas about it. The nagas were sneaky though, and told her that loads of prey was living just over the big hill, and all she needed to do was go and get it. So the biggest drider went over to the hill and found, not prey, but a very big and very hungry pack of Kensha beasts, who gobbled her up.

When the biggest drider didn't return, the second-biggest drider went to ask the nagas what had happened, and the nasty things sent her to get gobbled up by the Kensha beasts too.

When neither of her sisters came back, the littlest drider just sat on her bed and cried and cried. But a kind magic spider heard her, and blessed her, giving her special venom. With a twinkle in her many eyes, the spider vanished, saying that the little drider had a better chance now.

Feeling motivated by the spiders kindness, the little drider sneaked over to the nagas, as they were asleep with tummies full of prey that they'd taken from the driders. And do you know what happened next?

The littlest drider bit all of them, one two three, and because of her special venom, they all turned into yummy soup! The littlest drider drank it all up, and that was the end of the three nasty nagas.

Now, the moral of this story is to always be nice to spiders, and to never make friends with nasty greedy nagas.
Back to top Go down
http://ironkitty.deviantart.com/
FalconJudge
Hero
Hero
FalconJudge

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 11:12 am

Great, it really sounds like something a dridder would teach her kids...
Back to top Go down
http://falconjudge2.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 4:32 pm

maybe if theres a similar story for the nagas,

maybe they stem back to some kind of legend, or at least relate to it Razz
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 5:03 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
maybe if theres a similar story for the nagas,
Naga version: Same up until Dridder kills them all, where it then turns from "be nice to spiders" to "don't trust any spiders, not even the littlest."
Back to top Go down
French snack
French snack

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 11:22 pm

A very moral story. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 10:22 am

I'm currently getting my first chance in a while to type something long, so I'm writing a story, but I've been wondering about naga culture recently. I dont need to do much for humans because they're a melting pot, and mostly come from everywhere in the universe.

There aren't any dwarves in felarya are there XD
Back to top Go down
French snack
French snack

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 10:48 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:

There aren't any dwarves in felarya are there XD

There might be. lol! Forest dwarves? Dressed in green, and prancing around like elves, mayhap?

Of course, dwarves from other worlds could end in Felarya, in any case...

Let's try and avoid hobbits, though. Razz
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 10:50 am

They're being taken to Isengard...

probably a little pre-occupied. Razz
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 10:51 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
I'm currently getting my first chance in a while to type something long, so I'm writing a story, but I've been wondering about naga culture recently.
For Naga "Culture", you're pretty limited. They are either non-tool or extremely limited tool users, they tend to live isolationist lifestyles that have at most a small circle of other Naga accomplices, there isn't much in the way of history beyond "We dislike Dridders for [x] cause in the past" and "We worship [x] Gods because of [y] reason", etc. And any "communities" of Nagas with more than a few handful individuals would need to be less-than-giant size or spread over a very far area to avoid having to make them the dominant predators in the area with a minority presence of other beings.

And I'll let you know Cjal is a Halfling (AKA Hobbit)!
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 10:53 am

lets hope he doesn't get mistaken for a neera. XD

and yeah malahite that does make sense. not every species would have listed culter and details though.

fairies would though, since they seem to have a lot of "restricted" books. i bet merely opening one would cause a giant mouth to jump out and eat any human XD
Back to top Go down
French snack
French snack

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 11:04 am

I think small nagas may have structured societies. But giant nagas do indeed lead fairly individual lives, with little more than a close or loose circle of friends - who are not necessarily all nagas. A village or even an extended family of giant nagas would be almost inconceivable; it would lead to an overconsumption of local resources. In this context, it's difficult for a "culture" to develop, beyond bedtime stories remembered from childhood. As far as we know, they have no form of artistic expression, of any kind.
Back to top Go down
Schnurz
Tasty morsel

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 3:59 am

Finally I have some more time.

Entry 03: The Brass Clappers of Anchordale -This entry is for the recycling bin!

In every harbour, seamen tell all sorts of stories about the dangers of the oceans. There are treacherous riffs, maelstroms, killer waves and the occasional encounter of gigantic beauties picking crew from the deck of the ship like an eight year old the decorations from a Christmas tree.
The people of Anchordale know that at least the sailor’s yarn about giant whirlpools have to be true, since the other end of the maelstrom opens up in the riffs before their coast. This phenomenon regularly supplies their community with shipwrecks full of goods from all shores, waiting to be salvaged. However, any attempts to get a hold of the valuables become a race with growing-up Chlaenas and Mermaids, who are eager to improve their predatory skills in the relative safety of the coastal waters. The seamen of Anchordale have to be the first to any new shipwreck for two reasons. One, to salvage the cargo before the sea dwellers mess the ship up preying on the half-drowned crewmen still attached to the wreck and Two be back in the harbour before the Mermaids and Chlaenas attracted by the commotion get the better of them.
The solution to the problems of the sailors surprisingly turned out to be young, busty women. Such are the by far preferred prey of all chimeric sea dwellers and work as a decoy on the race to the newly appeared shipwrecks. On the event that the flotilla of Anchordale sets sail for the loot, every ship carries also specially trained divers, who take the plunge and cleave the waves on command. The young Mermaids and Chlaenas lack the experience to see the trick through and swim after the appetising decoys.
However, the women are used to outwit their hunters in the passages of the riffs by diving in formation, irritating them with synchronized swimming acts and sudden disperses. By the time the sailors are ready with their salvaging, the decoys gather in lockable brass shells installed on the top of the riffs. Due to the bell-shaped form of their retreat places the women have been dubbed with the name Brass Clappers. This is also the source for the locally coined phrase “hitting a brass clapper”, meaning to divert someone in the crucial moment of an action.
In the city of Anchordale, merchants sell all kinds of goods great and cheap in almost near mint condition.

I'm thankfull for comments.[b]

Last edited by Schnurz on Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:51 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : There are too many weaknesse in the concept; See the following arguments)
Back to top Go down
L'Ryn
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
L'Ryn

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 6:01 pm

Schnurz. It's called NON-DISCRIMINATORY FEEDING. I doubt any 'new' chlaena or mermaids would specifically target HAWTBUSTEHWOMEN, no, they would eat anybody, everybody, and each other.

EDIT:

And chlaena are more often found in deeper waters, mermaids are natural swimmers and most likely are not confused as easily as you seem to assume they are. See, mermaids have been swimming all their lives, and likely deploy similiar tactics to outwit their own predators. I think the only time these chicks would fool a giant mermaid is if she's young enough to be their size or smaller.

Quote :
The solution to the problems of the sailors surprisingly turned out to be young, busty women. Such are the by far preferred prey of all chimeric sea dwellers and work as a decoy on the race to the newly appeared shipwrecks.
Please... why would you even make that assumption?
Back to top Go down
Schnurz
Tasty morsel

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 11:30 pm

Quote:
"The solution to the problems of the sailors surprisingly turned out to be young, busty women. Such are the by far preferred prey of all chimeric sea dwellers and work as a decoy on the race to the newly appeared shipwrecks."

You're right L'Ryn, that part of the entry doesn't make sense. I found the picture of girls diving and swimming, followed by Mermaids or Chlaenas appealing, maybe too appealing.

I thought it a viable assumption that trained divers, such as pearl divers, could lose a larger predator in the small passages of a riff.

I had a lot of fun reading the Chlaena entry on Felarya Wiki. There, it is said that "roaming Chlaenas have been known to get closer to the surface (...) able to traverse land much more ably than one would suspect.". This means to me that sea dwellers like Mermaids and Chlaenas, especially when they are still young and smaller, would like to stay in coastal seas, where the hunting is good and larger predators pose not so much danger.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Culture, History, and other bits.
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next