Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Culture, History, and other bits.

Go down 
+15
/Fish/
Sillysausage
gwadahunter2222
Karbo
Schnurz
timing2
L'Ryn
Silent_eric
French snack
Jætte_Troll
rcs619
GiantessFanXXX
Malahite
Anime-Junkie
Archmage_Bael
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
L'Ryn
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
L'Ryn

Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 11:41 pm

Let me try to explain this in simpler ways.

1. You operate on vore logic. 'Eat the most attractive hawt chick first'. That does not work in Felarya. In Felarya, it's 'eat what you can before you get eaten', not 'take precious time deciding who has a bigger rack and hips'.
2. Chlaenas are far more likely to follow, true, but mermaids would stay to snack on the other divers going into the shipwreck while your brass clappers are doing stunts.
3. Chlaena, depending on the species, the smaller ones stay closer to the shore, the larger ones stay deeper in the water. They tend to prefer heavier water pressure.
4. Cecalias are more likely to be near the surface, BTW.
5. I am not a vorephile. Don't assume so plz. 8D
6. As it so happens, Felarya's sea water does have salt, and things do corrode and decay in it.
7. Brass is a soft metal, I think a few good hits from a twenty foot mermaid would probably ruin your girl's safety bells.
8. Bells don't clap, they chime or ring.

Welcome to Felarya, BTW, I specialize in horror, blood, and disturbing things here. 8D
Back to top Go down
Schnurz
Tasty morsel

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 1:27 am

# 2,3,4: Thanks for the insight on (Felaryan) predators. I'll take it to heart.

# 6: Brass is an alloy of varying elements depending on its use. The majority of brass is corrosion-resistant and/or sea-water resistant.

# 8: The other word for bell clapper is bell tongue. It's the thing inside the shell. (The outer shell hitting the clapper, is what makes a bell sound.)

#1,7: I agree with you,that the original entry bases on a halfbaked concept. Even, if everthing turns out alright for the decoys, they have a problem returning to the harbour, when predator decides to wait for them. Such a strategy of coastal people wouldn't be succesfull, and thus not prolongued to be reported. I declare this entry as due for receycling. The next entry in the series will have the number 3.
Back to top Go down
Schnurz
Tasty morsel

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 10:43 pm

With the experience of my last attempt in mind, I offer you beforehand an explanation of the word "cairn": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairn

The Cairns of Dimmwood

The foggy region of Dimmwood is better pictured as a cluster of spacious farmsteads connected by a great communal spirit, than as a walled-in community. The families gather regularly for celebrations, help each other out in times of trouble and bring in the harvest together. The harvest, of course, is the famous Dimm Berry, a regional speciality that goes well with all kinds of meat. The fruit grows only in the humid, salty environment of this coastal lowland and is much sought after by gourmets.
However, the mists, rolling constantly over the valley, contain another particularity that this region could be famous for. The fog makes the orientation between the farmlands difficult and causes residents to adopt exceptional measures. Each family is responsible for the preservation of their share on the common paths outgoing from their own farmyards. The special features of all paths are the cairns, which differ in their style from clan to clan. The stoned trail signs mark by their design the territory of each family, the direction to important destinations and potential dangers on the track. For example: A cross-shaped stone pile is typical for the Fahms Clan. A piece of coal on one side marks the direction to the next shelter with a fireplace. A fresh branch with two sea-shells indicates recent hunting activities of a Dryad on that track, two victims recorded so far.
Some cairns exist and grow over generations, wearing the signs of the births and deaths of their main caretakers through the centuries. It is also rumoured that one or more stone piles in remote locations are actually stone elementals that prey on the wanderers, who seek orientation from them. Other, darker stories even portray the picture of one or the other clan practicing forbidden magic to gain boons from said elementals, not shying away from human sacrifice. Lacking evidence, the sources of these rumours are most likely nothing but bad gossip and scary stories for children. In any case, it is recommended not to touch or redecorate the cairns.
The families organize special guided tours and other services for travellers. It’s supposed to make the valley more attractive for people who aren’t afraid of the bad weather.

I'm thankfull for comments.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 3:44 pm

that sounds interesting.

however I kind of imagined this thread working for culture/customs related content instead of a region. nonetheless, the whole cairn paths thing is really interesting as well,l I like how they communicate sort of.

the I like the last paragraph, about how the cairns might be stone elementals. maybe you could emphasize the stories?
Back to top Go down
Schnurz
Tasty morsel

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 2:29 am

Thank you for the comment!

I think waysigns could be an important part of the culture of many chimeric races as well. In any area where a lot of individuals are conecentrated, cairns may work as territorial markings, mail boxes for certain persons or every now and then updated billboards of general content.
This could be especially interesting for tribes that have no consolidated settlement yet.

Do you mean with stories specific tales about the cairns/stone elementals?
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 8:13 pm

a recent chat with some people convinced me it's a good idea to bring this up again.

I think pred culture still needs to be developed. I've looked back on the wiki and saw that the culture and customs section is there, which is good, but it's still pretty small.

I propose we have additional tabs for or sub-topics for various pred cultures.

Marriage and birth are two very important aspects, every living thing has some kind of ritual involving that.
Back to top Go down
VenomX3000
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 8:18 pm

ive been wantin to know more about that myself. like families, relatives and such.
Back to top Go down
http://venomx3000.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 8:45 pm

well i've been pushing for a while about culture.

frankly, having no culture is what keeps a universe like felarya from feeling full. it's getting better though, ever since all the religions and lore and the traditions, the "gaping hole" that is culture has been filling up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Culture, History, and other bits.   Culture, History, and other bits. - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Culture, History, and other bits.
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4