Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Felaryan Landmarks

Go down 
+11
Stabs
Shady Knight
TryMeIke
Jætte_Troll
observer88
rcs619
Karbo
kaitheguy1234
CauldronBorn24
Flare
Silent_eric
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

Felaryan Landmarks Empty
PostSubject: Felaryan Landmarks   Felaryan Landmarks Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 4:15 pm

Felarya is hard to navigate. The sheer fact that the landscape has a tendency to disappear and be replaced at any time makes it hard to get around. You add in all those deadly preds, and jeeze. How do any of the smaller, more delicious races get around?

Landmarks. The Great Tree is the best example. It can be seen for miles around, and, like the north star of our world, can be used to orient yourself. Of course, that's an example of a really large landmark. Things like mountains and rivers are good landmarks as well.

But there are other types of landmarks. Ruins of failed settlements, statues, oddly shaped boulders, trees, a rare plant, A friendly pred (perhaps the rarest kind of Landmark), historical sites of a famous battle or tragic event, an area of abnormally high, low, or unusual magic and so on.

So go ahead and list all sorts of fun things.

Last edited by Silent_eric on Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://silenteric.deviantart.com/
Flare
Survivor
Survivor
Flare

Felaryan Landmarks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Landmarks   Felaryan Landmarks Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 4:17 pm

Mysterious Temple
Jewel River
Negav City
Ur-Sagal Ruins
Frost Peak
Jungle Bowl
Chordoni Waterfalls
Ascarlin Mountains

Last edited by Flare on Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

Felaryan Landmarks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Landmarks   Felaryan Landmarks Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 4:19 pm

Red Trees of the Jungle of Perils.

Last edited by CauldronBorn24 on Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kaitheguy1234
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
kaitheguy1234

Felaryan Landmarks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Landmarks   Felaryan Landmarks Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 4:20 pm

Dimension gate
Fairy pond
Back to top Go down
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

Felaryan Landmarks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Landmarks   Felaryan Landmarks Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 4:27 pm

Here's an original landmark, as an example of sorts.

The Tomb of the Unknown Adventurers.
Built by humans to honor all those lost in Felarya. It's a large temple looking structure built several days travel north from Negav. It is close to halfway between the city, and the Mysterious Temple. Many adventurers stop by the Tomb on their way to the Temple, praying for their own safety. The Tomb has no actual dead bodies buried there. Instead it acts as a waystop, replenishing supplies of adventurers and giving a safe place to sleep. Why is the place safe? In the bell tower extending from the top of the Tomb is a small piece of the Isolon Eye, the purple crystal that protects Negav. It is the size of a human's fist, and is only powerful enough to protect fifty yards from the building in all directions.
Back to top Go down
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

Felaryan Landmarks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Landmarks   Felaryan Landmarks Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 5:20 pm

Ziggurat of the Guardians
A large structure that Guardian-worshiping humans built believing that they can climb up it and ask guardians to help them with their problems. Usually, when the problem resolves itself, there is great celebration despite it being a coincidence. However, the small village has never been overrun by predators, despite building such a large temple and noticeable temple. Maybe a guardian is watching over them?

Regardless, this temple can be found east of the Frost Peak mountains. There are all nearby predator's territories end half a mile from the village's border.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Felaryan Landmarks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Landmarks   Felaryan Landmarks Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 6:18 pm

I think this thread is a great idea ! there is definitely some monuments and remarkable places to list I think.
And this is typically the kind of thing that help flesh out the universe Razz
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

Felaryan Landmarks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Landmarks   Felaryan Landmarks Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 7:12 pm

Don't forget about the Bach, in Bulvon Wood, and even the ruins that Markie the angel calls home and rus her orphanage out of could be a good landmark too.
Back to top Go down
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

Felaryan Landmarks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Landmarks   Felaryan Landmarks Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 12:33 pm

Water Moon Shrine

The Water Moon Shrine was run by a small group of priestesses and mystics, formed solely to protect and honor the Water Moon Demon Blade, a sword said to be able to slay angels with the greatest of ease, and give a portion of their power to the weilder. When the blade was stolen, the Shrine was dissolved, and soon faded into history. Some hundreds of years later, the Shrine's crumbling ruins can still be found west of Negav, a mile off the bank of the Lake of Illusions.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Felaryan Landmarks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Landmarks   Felaryan Landmarks Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 12:58 pm

rcs619 wrote:
Don't forget about the Bach, in Bulvon Wood, and even the ruins that Markie the angel calls home and rus her orphanage out of could be a good landmark too.

Well the bach is already a sub zone of the giant tree. As for the orphanage, it no longer exist if I am not mistaken ? ^^;
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
observer88
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle
observer88

Felaryan Landmarks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Landmarks   Felaryan Landmarks Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 1:49 pm

According to Zoekin's latest story it is replaced with a castle.
Back to top Go down
http://observer88.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

Felaryan Landmarks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Landmarks   Felaryan Landmarks Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 2:18 pm

Karbo wrote:
rcs619 wrote:

Well the bach is already a sub zone of the giant tree. As for the orphanage, it no longer exist if I am not mistaken ? ^^;

From what I understand from talking to Zoekin, the castle can change its form to suit its owner...and to help ease the children's nerves, Markie will have it mimic her old ruins. Might want to check with Zoekin to be sure that's official though.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

Felaryan Landmarks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Landmarks   Felaryan Landmarks Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 5:33 pm

Well, here's a landmark for the "Cold Zone" that has come up in discussion.

The Four Pillars

Out in the frozen north, in the middle of what seems to be nowhere, can be found four pillars, arranged to form a rectangle. They are massive, with even a predator reaching as high as they could not able to touch the top. There are simplistic carvings up and down the pillars from an unknown era.

The rumour about them goes that they were originally the four corner posts for a large building that stood here, one built by and large enough to house predators. Whoever lived here and whatever else they left behind is long, long gone. The place has come to the attention of adventurers, who often come to excavate the snow between the Four Pillars, hoping to find some sort of treasure. There is a less heard rumour that there is the entrance to a large underground vault located somewhere in the area, deep under the snow, which only a predator could open and that below lies a fantastic collection of treasure.

It has been noted by mages that the pillars have a very strong resistance to magic, to the point that using magic in the vicinity of them can cause serious pain or exhaustion as well as a failure of whatever spell was cast.

On one of the pillars, an intrepid explorer actually climbed to the top and built a cabin there, building a barricade around the edge. To those who aren't afraid of serious heights, the top of this pillar can be reached by moving up the indentations in the pillar made by the spiraling carvings unique to this one. Though difficult to get too, this is one place it's unlikely a predator would look for prey.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

Felaryan Landmarks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Landmarks   Felaryan Landmarks Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 12:27 pm

I will continue to raise my old threads from the depths of the Forum Sea. Let's revisit landmarks

Clockwork Fortress Ruins

In the northern corner of the Great Rocky Plains a great brass ruin sits rusting on splintered spiderlike legs. Once, this was a mobile civilization who thought their mobile fortress to the perfect defense against Felaryan wildlife. It worked for many years, until, during a great drought a tribe of centaurs sieged the fortress. The centaurs proved too fast, and too strong, and although the clockwork men put up a valiant defense, it proved futile.
Now the fortress rusts and acts as a shelter for travelers, as well as a landmark for travelers across the vast plains. Adventurers willing to brave the trapped and oddly tilted corridors find that the people who lived in this metal behemoth left behind many treasures worth taking, strange technologies that ticked and tocked while producing wonderous effects.
Back to top Go down
TryMeIke
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
TryMeIke

Felaryan Landmarks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Landmarks   Felaryan Landmarks Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 8:22 pm

hm. I may have my group of adventurers pass through that clockwork ruins in my story, any idea on what kind of life is there now?
Back to top Go down
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

Felaryan Landmarks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Landmarks   Felaryan Landmarks Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 7:47 am

TryMeIke wrote:
hm. I may have my group of adventurers pass through that clockwork ruins in my story, any idea on what kind of life is there now?

Nope. No idea. It's intentionally vague so you can have whatever you want there. Inside the ruins, strange traps are likely the greatest threat, although some smaller creatures may have infested it. As in human size or smaller. As for larger predators, the typical creatures you'd find in the Plains, like harpies, sphinxes, and centaurs. There are no static predators that live near there, as many giant preds in the Plains are somewhat nomadic.
Back to top Go down
TryMeIke
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
TryMeIke

Felaryan Landmarks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Landmarks   Felaryan Landmarks Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 9:44 am

I see.

hm. maybe some lightning elementals, or machine elementals..
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Felaryan Landmarks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Landmarks   Felaryan Landmarks Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 12:05 pm

There's no such thing as machine elementals. At best it'd either be a lightning elemental or a metal elemental.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
TryMeIke
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
TryMeIke

Felaryan Landmarks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Landmarks   Felaryan Landmarks Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 12:06 pm

why not? elementals can take the form of any non-living material. I could see a lightning elemental and metal elemental crossbreeding to produce something like a machine elemental.
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

Felaryan Landmarks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Landmarks   Felaryan Landmarks Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 12:08 pm

Easy, easy, you two, any faster and we'll all have beans for brains...

Ike, if you want to go make machine elementals, go ahead... then again, have you considered other possibilities? Something like clockwork monsters, golems of some sort, steampunk critters? Might work too.
Back to top Go down
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

Felaryan Landmarks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Landmarks   Felaryan Landmarks Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 12:16 pm

TryMeIke wrote:
why not? elementals can take the form of any non-living material. I could see a lightning elemental and metal elemental crossbreeding to produce something like a machine elemental.

I really can't see that working, however Stabs is right if you want a mechanical body animated by magic, a mechanical golem would fit the bill.
Back to top Go down
TryMeIke
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
TryMeIke

Felaryan Landmarks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Landmarks   Felaryan Landmarks Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 2:17 pm

on the subject of the clockwork ruins, I can imagine a sort of time theme for the items you can find there, involving manipulation of time, sort of like in acraptor desert.

Example of a relic you could find there:

Time Crystal: a rare gem only found in the clockwork base ruins, this rainbow colored crystal has the unique property to enhance all time based abilities, magical or techwise. a clock that has a time crystal in it is always the correct time, while a time mage finds their spells such as stopping time, speeding themselves or others up or slowing them down, and time-space manipulation for uses such at teleportation are doubled in both duration and effect, such as doubled speed for twice as long or responce time, or range or the effect.
Back to top Go down
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

Felaryan Landmarks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Landmarks   Felaryan Landmarks Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 7:43 pm

TryMeIke wrote:
on the subject of the clockwork ruins, I can imagine a sort of time theme for the items you can find there, involving manipulation of time, sort of like in acraptor desert.

Example of a relic you could find there:

Time Crystal: a rare gem only found in the clockwork base ruins, this rainbow colored crystal has the unique property to enhance all time based abilities, magical or techwise. a clock that has a time crystal in it is always the correct time, while a time mage finds their spells such as stopping time, speeding themselves or others up or slowing them down, and time-space manipulation for uses such at teleportation are doubled in both duration and effect, such as doubled speed for twice as long or responce time, or range or the effect.

I like the idea, but I think too specific in the description. It's not for a game, so you don't need to say anything other than it increases the effect of time based magic. But the problem is that the theme behind the clockwork ruins is that it is more technological than magical. So it likely wouldn't be a magic gem. That would be an interesting mineral to find in the Akaptor Desert. And imagine trying to mine in that region. Woah, man that would be dangerous. But for this location, rather than a gem it would likely be some sort of pocket watch or other super tech made from strange clockwork pseudo sciences.
Back to top Go down
TryMeIke
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
TryMeIke

Felaryan Landmarks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Landmarks   Felaryan Landmarks Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 7:45 pm

thanks. I'll make some edits and post it in mineralogy. wherever that section is. ^^;
Back to top Go down
TryMeIke
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
TryMeIke

Felaryan Landmarks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Landmarks   Felaryan Landmarks Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2011 4:30 pm

some ideas for items you can find in the clockwork ruins.

stop watch: a odd, mechanical device, this rellic found in the ruins is a watch that has not only the ability to tell time, but the wearer can press a button hidden on the watch to seemingly. "stop." time for everyone but themselves, for about 30 seconds a day. in reality, they are simply speeded up to an unbelieveable degree. they can move as normal, and interact with people and objects. to those not wearing this watch, they become a blur of movement, moving to fast to clearly see. it's drawbacks are that upon ending the stopped time period, the wearer is exuausted as if they had been moving far beyond their bodies ability to handle.... which honestly, they were.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Felaryan Landmarks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Landmarks   Felaryan Landmarks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Felaryan Landmarks
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next