Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya

Go down 
+9
GREGOLE
Karbo
The Rev
Malahite
gwadahunter2222
observer88
Pendragon
Cypress
Siafu789
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Siafu789
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Siafu789

The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya Empty
PostSubject: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 9:34 pm

Think of this as a continuation of "I think therefore I am food"

Felarya is a land with a perfect implementation of Darwin's Theory of Evolution: natural selection at its pinnacle. By it's very nature, it separates the strong from the weak; the smart from the dumb; the fit from the unfit. Of course, the dominant predators have the run of the place: Felarya is, quite literally, their oyster upon which to dine.

Of course, in nature, prey is far from helpless; each evolving a set of characteristics which, while providing no guarantee, increases their odds of survival. These characteristics aren't universal-each unique to that species and it's habitat.

This process isn't a pulse, it is a flow: working every second, a complex summation of cause and effect.

Which brings me to my point: what sort of traits in Felarya are favored amongst prey? Given a long enough time (say, a few million years) how would humans evolve? What kind of person would be a proper "base line"? This is the subject of discussion.

First off, certain "collectivistic" traits-such as rapid breeding or a pack mentality-can and do make a difference; but, they only go so far. Ultimately, certain traits are unique to individual members-such as intelligence, physical characteristics, sensory ability, and other such traits that vary from one organism to another-traits that can set new paradigms and evolutionary trends.

Last edited by on Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:35 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://militant-prey.deviantart.com/
Cypress
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Cypress

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 9:44 pm

i think it logical to conclude an eventual breed of human that doesn't have the 'sweetness' preds often enjoy. perhaps a bitter pill gene might emerge along with some outward color or marking as is found elsewhere in the earths micro ecosystems. I imagine that they would still fear and gain no advantage over a starving pred, but a advantage might be had if its not yet so hungry as to eat a bad tasting meal.

this would involve two lines of mutation one for the taste, and another for marking. it would seem likely that the taste would develop first... and any grouping associated with it regionally might lead to a coloration specific to the group.

after all sometimes its about stopping the chase before it begins XD
Back to top Go down
http://wowandwas.deviantart.com
Siafu789
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Siafu789

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 2:31 am

A sort of less extreme "Poison Dart" development, right?
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 6:51 am

Speed and flight. Those are your best options when it comes to being a predator and prey.

Though there are traits that are more efficient in certain situations, speed and the ability to fly are you best options overall.
Back to top Go down
observer88
Marauder of the deep jungle
observer88

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 7:29 am

"Stealth is key!"

Simply hiding won't be enough. One has to be undetected by Felaryan predators' special sense that allows them to sense the presence of their prey without seeing, hearing or smelling them. (By the way is this psychic in nature?)
Back to top Go down
http://observer88.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 7:36 am

Pendragon wrote:
Speed and flight. Those are your best options when it comes to being a predator and prey.

Though there are traits that are more efficient in certain situations, speed and the ability to fly are you best options overall.

I'm not sure, some predators use trap to stop their prey like the slug girls and the dridders. And to fly is very risky with the harpies and sphinxes. The blue sphinx is the most dangerous if you are in a plane Sad

And in some case it's difficult to overun some predators, when you choose one of this options you should be able to think quick or you will be blocked in a dead end.

It's very tactical for both the predator and the prey, they need to anticipate the reaction of the opponent. When a predator attack, it's always by surprise even if the prey is faster than it because the predator know that.

To survive in Felarya, humans need to be able to predict the move of the predator.

Edit: I add just a point we think all our solution is the best but the problem everything has his advantage and drawback, the solution can protect you from a predators but not all of them.

I think travel in group with each member has their own specificity can be useful Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 11:59 am

Stealth or Poisons would be the best evolutionary turn for humans, and most likely considering how much smaller they are than normal Felaryan predators.

Similarly, a shift into subterranean preferances over surface ones would also be a big boost for humanities survival.

Though we have to realize that any major changes in the human geonome will likely mean big ones in the Predator's too (Especially the bugs, of which they're most likely to evolve before anything else).
Back to top Go down
The Rev
Hero
Hero
The Rev

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 4:58 pm

Who knows, humans might turn into succubi.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 5:34 pm

The Rev wrote:
[Comes dangerously close to frothing at the mouth]A valid theory, though I must deny its probability.
Back to top Go down
Siafu789
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Siafu789

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 6:37 pm

Malahite wrote:
The Rev wrote:
[Comes dangerously close to frothing at the mouth]A valid theory, though I must deny its probability.

To say it without being politically correct, that is just not going to happen: it's impossible. lol!

And all this talk about poisons and such; I don't see that taking place without some serious genetic modification, although that is an acceptable evolutionary catalyst. Smile

One possible path I see for more technologically inclined humans-a symbiosis between, or even integration of, man and machine. Not necessarily as as extreme as "The Matrix" or The Borg, but definitely something binding. After all, machines' metal chaises are far tougher, and unappetizing, than a humans' delicate and succulent flesh. Their hydraulic systems are far stronger than our network of muscle fibers. Their reaction times and processing speeds far outpace ours-perhaps equal with fae or elves. Their solid-state memories would never forget anything.

However, then comes the following tasks-reproduction, and energy source. Obviously reproduction would require a dedicated (and secure) production facility-but, what of energy? Fossil fuels are out of the question. Solar power is tempting, but the thick canopies of the trees makes this a poor decision. Nuclear cells are grounds for the Guardians to intervene, the soil's properties not yet so fully understood: so, what then?

Why, the most plentiful energy source in Felarya: the chemical energy stored in every living thing. These machines or cyborgs could run on an artificial digestive tract, but one that improves on nature. Speedy, efficient, and producing no waste-everything gets used. With the right design, they could become capable middle-tier predators: nature provides workable models.

Of course, genetics aren't out of the question: hmm, I wonder what a hybrid with a man's intellect...and a bloodclaw's strength. Maybe next post.

Wink
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 1:48 am

Interesting ideas here ^_^

Partiality put aside, I am not sure the genetic pool could evolve into something so complex as to modify the *taste*
but I would well see an evolution on the limbs and sense of native Felaryan humans, allowing them to sprint much faster and longer than us, jump higher, etc Smile
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 7:34 am

Karbo wrote:
Interesting ideas here ^_^

Partiality put aside, I am not sure the genetic pool could evolve into something so complex as to modify the *taste*
but I would well see an evolution on the limbs and sense of native Felaryan humans, allowing them to sprint much faster and longer than us, jump higher, etc Smile
Like the concept of the nekos Question
I mean they are agile, fast and strong and have good sense. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 9:18 am

How to suvive in Felarya:

Step one - Equip everyone in your group with at least eight pounds of C4 which cannot be easily removed by giant hands, as well as their own personal detonator.

Step two - Have at it.

Step three - After a few of your people get eaten, the predators will begin to realize that eating you = getting blown up, and consequently, will leave you alone.

And that, folks, is how you survive in Felarya.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 10:40 am

Sounds like a nice plan, Gregole, but there's a minor hitch in it.

Most preds have stomachs that can survive large grenade type explosions. For your plan to work, you'll need ALOT of C4.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 11:07 am

Quote :

Most preds have stomachs that can survive large grenade type explosions. For your plan to work, you'll need ALOT of C4.

Four pounds can bring down a building and make Burt Gummer think twice.

Eight pounds'll rip through a fairy or a naga like crap through a goose.
Back to top Go down
Feign
Feign

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 11:09 am

Pendragon wrote:

Nah, hit the button while they're still in the predator's mouth... Even more messy. Evil laugh

On the other hand, it's likely that whatever long-native humans evolve into could end up as another predator that preys on less established humans. That's the big difference with humans, there are many sources of "domesticated" or "civilized" humans that keep flowing into Felarya...

That said, who's to say there aren't already many different kinds of humans that have already evolved to survive the various Felaryan perils. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 12:13 pm

Feign wrote:

That said, who's to say there aren't already many different kinds of humans that have already evolved to survive the various Felaryan perils. Neutral

Oh, there are ones who have. Namely, humans who have been born with extreme powers.

Unfortunately (Or fortunately, considering most of them are evil), they haven't come to Felarya. Jon Irenicus, Magneto, Magnus the Red, The Shrike, Sephiroth, all the above are at least partially human (If modified and rarities), and would have a decent chance of avoiding a predator's stomach.

Though, again, odds are insects are going to evolve first. Namely, Spine Beetles. Those things rely on potent Poisons to survive... but they could feed the nest with anything short of a larger predator (Which are seemingly immune to all but the most pin-cushioning attempts). Odds are that, before either Naga's get some other trait or Humans get powerful enough to hold their own, these guys will come in with Poisons that'll drop even a Dridder dead.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 6:51 pm

I think the better way to survive is to become a predator.
Back to top Go down
Siafu789
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Siafu789

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 7:31 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
I think the better way to survive is to become a predator.
To some degree, this is my sentiment-in the sense I consider it a valid option. However, like with all options, one must accept consequence of any decision.

If one wishes to join their ranks, by all means do so-just remember that this action carries a steep price tag. Be prepared to pay it.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 7:50 pm

Siafu789 wrote:
To some degree, this is my sentiment-in the sense I consider it a valid option. However, like with all options, one must accept consequence of any decision.

If one wishes to join their ranks, by all means do so-just remember that this action carries a steep price tag. Be prepared to pay it.
It can be psychological to boost your mind, like when you think you are the number one to motivate yourself.
Or like a profiler to anticipate the reaction of the predator.

No matter the choice you will have to accept the consequence Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Siafu789
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Siafu789

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 7:56 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:

It can be psychological to boost your mind, like when you think you are the number one to motivate yourself.
Or like a profiler to anticipate the reaction of the predator.

No matter the choice you will have to accept the consequence Very Happy

True, but this one carries a steeper price tag than most other decision. We sort of see it with Anna-gradually, those humans she once held as kin are starting to look a little more appetizing...just a mere change of size radically changes such psyche. Basically, it's like this: how much consideration do you give to smaller creatures, a rodent for instant? Same level as a human?

I'll let everyone answer that-it's pretty open ended. Just be honest with oneself.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 8:24 pm

Well, to be fair, Anna still holds them in the same regard as she did when she was human.

Crisis just tricks her into eating them now and them. It's more of her instincts and temper that make her voracious.
Back to top Go down
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 6:04 am

I'd say chameleonic skin or some other stealth ability - lets face it, humans hide and run, that's what they do. Aside from end up in Crisis's stomach.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 12:04 pm

Rythmear wrote:
I'd say chameleonic skin or some other stealth ability - lets face it, humans hide and run, that's what they do. Aside from end up in Crisis's stomach.

Hm, good idea.

Now, if only we could modify the humans to resemble Lictors...

And becoming a Predator would be unlikely to happen outside of extreme magic. Especially if you mean stuff like growing in size, changing species, etc. I'd say humans just becoming naturally stealthier (Which, when combined with implimented Camouflage, would make things even better) and begin using more poisons (perhaps covering themselves with potent poisons such as the people from the Untill) to make themselves live longer.
Back to top Go down
Feign
Feign

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 7:41 pm

Another possibility it that a set of humans could attempt to become useful to something higher up the food chain in ways other than food. Basically allowing themselves to become domesticated by a higher level predator. (sort of taking the canine route) Sure a normal human might look very appitizing to a naga, but people born with a somewhat more reptilian appearance would be less likely to be eaten by nagas if there is a ready supply of normal looking humans around.

It may be interesting to see villages that have developed a naga-ish or dridder-ish look to them due to living near such predators in order to more easily get into their "people category".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next