Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya

Go down 
+9
GREGOLE
Karbo
The Rev
Malahite
gwadahunter2222
observer88
Pendragon
Cypress
Siafu789
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Siafu789
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Siafu789

The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 8:13 pm

To Feign: Personally, I would make no attempt to befriend a predator. The odds of success are so low, it may as well be zero. The fact is, unless you distinguish yourself, you're lunch-I think a 99.999% likelihood of being eaten is accurate-so, .001% success doesn't sound promising. As for the exceptions-such as Aya-I would handle them in the same way I would for any other predator. Nor would I save a member of their species from danger. In other words: that tonorion is that fairy's problem, not mine.

In Felarya, I cannot survive on gambles and exceptions-only on a solid, sure thing. That essentially would make me the biggest asshole in Felarya next to Gunther-the only difference being that I wouldn't actively screw people over.
Back to top Go down
http://militant-prey.deviantart.com/
Feign
Marauder of the deep jungle
Feign

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 8:39 pm

Siafu789 wrote:
In Felarya, I cannot survive on gambles and exceptions-only on a solid, sure thing. That essentially would make me the biggest asshole in Felarya next to Gunther-the only difference being that I wouldn't actively screw people over.
Well, sure the individual wouldn't survive. the individual never survives on an evolutionary scale. The point to evolution is that it rewards those traits that give one individual that 98% chance of getting eaten as opposed to the normal 99% and that it slowly builds. by the time a group has evolved to the 60% chance of getting eaten, they'd barely qualify to be called human anymore.
Back to top Go down
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 8:45 pm

The only Naga you have a chance of befriending is Anna.
Back to top Go down
Siafu789
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Siafu789

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 8:58 pm

Rythmear wrote:
The only Naga you have a chance of befriending is Anna.
And even then, I wouldn't take that chance.

To Feign: I wouldn't really worry about the evolutionary scale-even if I do have what it takes, since I likely wouldn't breed, my traits wouldn't be passed on.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 4:59 am

I have just a remark, the stealthiest, the fastest and the most agile are always been the predators. No matter the ability of the prey there is always a predator to eat it.
I think a human should forget the idea to live longer in Felarya at least he becomes superior to them.

An example, the nekos they are more agile and stronger than us and they have the favorite meal of the predators and the worst they depend to the humans to survive I talk about Nekomura.
The onlty known tribe which have no problem are scorching claw because their weapons allow them to fight a predator equal to equal and befriend with them.

In clear if your ability do not allow you to leave the "prey categorie" do not hope to live longer Sad
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Feign
Feign

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 5:44 am

Siafu789 wrote:
To Feign: I wouldn't really worry about the evolutionary scale-even if I do have what it takes, since I likely wouldn't breed, my traits wouldn't be passed on.
Kinda shortsighted, but to each their own...

Really, if I was fit enough to survive in Felarya, I'd want to pass the genetic goodness around. (nothing like the adrenaline of surviving a predator's chase to get the libido going, after all. Razz )

And we know there are more ways to enter an intelligent predator's people catagory than just by fighting ability. Perhaps a better idea would be a village near Crisis's territory where the people have mostly developed amazing voices and excellent musical sense, since those are qualities that make it more likely for Crisis to spare them.

The individual trains for survival in a straightforward manner, evolution is much more creative about it.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 7:23 am

Feign wrote:
Kinda shortsighted, but to each their own...

Really, if I was fit enough to survive in Felarya, I'd want to pass the genetic goodness around. (nothing like the adrenaline of surviving a predator's chase to get the libido going, after all. Razz )

And we know there are more ways to enter an intelligent predator's people catagory than just by fighting ability. Perhaps a better idea would be a village near Crisis's territory where the people have mostly developed amazing voices and excellent musical sense, since those are qualities that make it more likely for Crisis to spare them.

The individual trains for survival in a straightforward manner, evolution is much more creative about it.

It's an interesting point of view Very Happy
A little problem with your idea is that ability work only on Crisis but when you see about her area there is others intelligent predators not necessary naga and I doubt all of them are the same taste about music.

The problem of this ability is not unique many people can do that by example Léa, at least they all befriend the naga they will be eaten by other predators.

To survive you need to have many abilities but the problem a human can not be good in everything so they need to team with others. In clear if you need to show to a predator you are more useful alive than to be eaten but this ability should make you unique and developp another in case of need Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Feign
Feign

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 7:36 am

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
To survive you need to have many abilities but the problem a human can not be good in everything so they need to team with others. In clear if you need to show to a predator you are more useful alive than to be eaten but this ability should make you unique and developp another in case of need Very Happy
Well, I was only putting forth one example. Proper survivors would more likely develop a combination of traits, yeah, but little quirks like that would develop too depending on who's territory the people are inhabiting.

Perhaps it would be more along the lines of a whole village of people who are exceptionally charming especially to intelligent predators. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 8:14 am

Feign wrote:
Well, I was only putting forth one example. Proper survivors would more likely develop a combination of traits, yeah, but little quirks like that would develop too depending on who's territory the people are inhabiting.

Perhaps it would be more along the lines of a whole village of people who are exceptionally charming especially to intelligent predators. Very Happy
I see your point Very Happy

But we can not say it's the whole village because it would not like natural because they not have the same voice and there is different way to sing.

I explain, in general everyone is not good in everything if someone is better in song, there is another who will be good in dance or play musical instrument. In clear they can not be all good in singing but they can be good in music in general.

Said someone has an exceptional ability make me laugh because everyone is exceptional in his way he/she is Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 9:25 am

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
I have just a remark, the stealthiest, the fastest and the most agile are always been the predators.
Not always, but they often are, yes.

wrote:
An example, the nekos they are more agile and stronger than us
I'll accept Faster, but stronger? I always imagined that Neko's swapped out strength for their speed (Them being not much weaker than humans, but noticably so when comparing the peaks of each).

wrote:
In clear if your ability do not allow you to leave the "prey categorie" do not hope to live longer Sad
No-Predators can live. Rats are proof of that on Felarya (And Earth).
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 9:46 am

Malahite wrote:
No-Predators can live. Rats are proof of that on Felarya (And Earth).
Rats can be both I explain alone it's a prey but in great numbers it becomes a serious threats. Many animals perished due to the proliferation of the rats.

Quote :
I'll accept Faster, but stronger? I always imagined that Neko's swapped out strength for their speed (Them being not much weaker than humans, but noticably so when comparing the peaks of each).
If you are to the same size of a cat, it will kill you easily due to the fact physically a cat is better than you. A neko is naturally stronger than a human but you will not see the difference is the fact humans can developp many ability and objects like weapons to fill the gap between the two species Very Happy

The humans are the weakest live form on earth, we don't have claw, we are not faster and we can not breathe underwater or fly. But our only advantage is our hands with them we developp an intelligence and start to create many things even they can be dangerous for us Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 10:11 am

gwadahunter2222 wrote:

The humans are the weakest live form on earth, we don't have claw, we are not faster and we can not breathe underwater or fly. But our only advantage is our hands with them we developp an intelligence and start to create many things even they can be dangerous for us Very Happy

We don't have those things, yes. BUt I don't see that as a weakness. Now, it just may be my Pro-Imperial Side speaking, but you're starting to sound an awful lot like.... no, nothing. Nevermind.

Bah, anyways, I still think Humanity isn't that poor off. We have intellligence, adaptability, innovation, the ability to control our instincts, etc. The lack of claws on earth isn't that bad (And wouldn't be a help in Felarya either, unless facing another human / Neko in which case a Weapon is just better), the inability to breath underwater isn't a concern to me (I would much prefer to remain in a natural environment over a foreign one like Water or a Low-Grav planet), and flying isn't that big a deal as we can both get around it [Planes] and don't really need it.

Again, however, I'm pro-human. Rabbidly so. If asked "What could be done to make us better?", my response would likely be either "Make us all Astartes" or "Nothing".
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 11:00 am

Malahite wrote:
We don't have those things, yes. BUt I don't see that as a weakness. Now, it just may be my Pro-Imperial Side speaking, but you're starting to sound an awful lot like.... no, nothing. Nevermind.

Bah, anyways, I still think Humanity isn't that poor off. We have intellligence, adaptability, innovation, the ability to control our instincts, etc. The lack of claws on earth isn't that bad (And wouldn't be a help in Felarya either, unless facing another human / Neko in which case a Weapon is just better), the inability to breath underwater isn't a concern to me (I would much prefer to remain in a natural environment over a foreign one like Water or a Low-Grav planet), and flying isn't that big a deal as we can both get around it [Planes] and don't really need it.

Again, however, I'm pro-human. Rabbidly so. If asked "What could be done to make us better?", my response would likely be either "Make us all Astartes" or "Nothing".

The greatest strenght in the human is in his weakness, because we know how to turn them in adavantages. In clear we know we are weaker than the other creatures so we can to prepare ourself to prepare to the dangers. The problem with humans is not work correctly but we don't give up, we learn from our mistake and try to change them. It gives us a adaptability and innovation, but the ability to control our instincts I have some doubt.

In wild life the animal know better how to control their instincts than us, they know perfectly the limit to not reach. Even two males of the same species fight they know when to stop to avoid to kill. But when two humans fight it happen they kill accidently.

You know what the humans due to their intelligence suffer from many mental disease than animals didn't know. If you see an animals become mad there is always an human activity behind that.

And another point a semi-humanoid creature like naga or neko have a better control of their instincts, and Anna is the proof. The ability of control our instincts is not natural contrary to the other animals we need to train our mind.

All the advantages can be sum by the fact humans contrary to the animals has no special ability but can find a way to learn all of them Wink

We can copy everything we saw and adapt it in case of need Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Siafu789
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Siafu789

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 11:03 am

To Malahite: I couldn't agree with you more, we have a lot going for us! That innovation and reasoning abilities (ie intelligence) is a necessity for human beings to survive-anything that can aid in our survival is needed. Besides, the absence of claws, wings, gills etc. can be remedied through genetic re-engineering; for those so inclined, of course. Not to mention that same re-engineering could improve on what we already have.

However, one word to your Imperium, take heart to Leonidas: Hubris can make a fool of any man. The Persian King Xerxes fancied himself a God-take care to not grant yourself automatic virtue on the basis of your species. Muhammad Ali, the great boxer, could say "I am the greatest!" because he could back it up. Remember that while man is rational being, he also can choose to be irrational-of course, that's just my two cents.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 11:07 am

gwadahunter2222 wrote:

In wild life the animal know better how to control their instincts than us, they know perfectly the limit to not reach. Even two males of the same species fight they know when to stop to avoid to kill. But when two humans fight it happen they kill accidently.
In nature they do too. It goes both ways here. I take Animal Behavior, have a sister studying to be a vet, and get into wierd conversations constantly.

wrote:
You know what the humans due to their intelligence suffer from many mental disease than animals didn't know. If you see an animals become mad there is always an human activity behind that.
Rabbies. We did not introduce Rabbies. Similarly, Animals introduced diseases to us like Syphylis. HUmans are only more prone right now as we're relatively 'new' to the world compared to most other animals.

wrote:
And another point a semi-humanoid creature like naga or neko have a better control of their instincts, and Anna is the proof. The ability of control our instincts is not natural contrary to the other animals we need to train our mind.
Animals need to train themselves too. For humans it usually requires some sort of drug to slip us into our most base self.

wrote:
All the advantages can be sum by the fact humans contrary to the animals has no special ability but can find a way to learn all of them Wink

We can copy everything we saw and adapt it in case of need Very Happy
Aye, that's why we're so great. We can copy what works, and not what doesn't. We can adapt, while not on a genetic scale, on a mental scale much faster than many other 'animals'.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 11:41 am

Malahite wrote:
Rabbies. We did not introduce Rabbies. Similarly, Animals introduced diseases to us like Syphylis. HUmans are only more prone right now as we're relatively 'new' to the world compared to most other animals.
When I was talking about psychological problem sorry for the mistake. Embarassed

I think about one thing that we try to do with genetic re-engineering, is for me a way to accelerate our evolution. I think naturally humans who live to Felarya will know how to defend themselves Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 4:03 pm

A few things to remember:

Just because it worked once doesn't guarantee it will work again.

If it's hungry, nothing will work.

Felarya can be summed up in a word, and that word is: Deathtrap, even the Jungle Bowl, though the predator type there is the criminal type.

There really is no long term or fool-proof way to avoid death except being very lucky. *walks through wall* Ghost powers FTW.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 4:14 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:

Felarya can be summed up in a word, and that word is: Deathtrap, even the Jungle Bowl, though the predator type there is the criminal type.

There really is no long term or fool-proof way to avoid death except being very lucky. *walks through wall* Ghost powers FTW.

Actually, I can think of two.

1) Remain hidden. Easier said for some species (Lictors, Yjuata with working stealth tech, etc) than others (Dwarves, Undead, etc).

2) Be something nothing would eat. A Golem of any sort (Beyond Flesh) is unlikely to be eaten, as is any Mechanical Construct.

There are weapons and beings I could suggest that would Brute-Force their way through Felarya, though the Guardians would wisk them away.

Though that walking through walls thing does make me want to go there with the form of a Necrontyr Wraith.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 4:20 pm

Malahite wrote:
Sean Okotami wrote:

Actually, I can think of two.

1) Remain hidden. Easier said for some species (Lictors, Yjuata with working stealth tech, etc) than others (Dwarves, Undead, etc).

2) Be something nothing would eat. A Golem of any sort (Beyond Flesh) is unlikely to be eaten, as is any Mechanical Construct.

There are weapons and beings I could suggest that would Brute-Force their way through Felarya, though the Guardians would wisk them away.

Though that walking through walls thing does make me want to go there with the form of a Necrontyr Wraith.
Undeads "dies" instantly by putting a foot on Felarya's ground.

Oh, being indegistible is helpful too, but getting out is the hard part and the acid is still painful. *falls down from stomach red skinned* Anyone got lotion for burns?
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 6:32 pm

Actually undead can exist on Felarya, it's just impossible to create them here ^^
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 7:12 pm

Malahite wrote:

I doubt that. Brute force would work very well, should you be surrounded by predators. Besides, the guardians don't pose much of a threat anymore. More and more magical disturbances take up their time, and Felarya will never really cease to bring upon magical oddities.

Besides, It's kinda unfair for a guardian to help a predator. That is total crap.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 9:14 am

Unfair for a Predator to get help? If there's something running around that can trounce Predators, about how long do you think it would be before it decided "Hey, why stick with just the big guys? Enslave the whole populace!"

Contrary to how it is often displayed in fiction, a guy with lots of power is likely to abuse said amounts of power.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 10:13 am

Well, of course. When that power is abused, then I'd expect the guardians to notice. We can't have power hungry mizars running around.

I was just expressing disbelief if they stopped any and all attempts of humans protecting themselves.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 4:47 pm

I don't think guardians are just here to stop any and all attempts of humans protecting themselves. But the problem is the fact the humans can be dangerous for themselves, look how we destroy our planet. I think they don't want that happen in Felarya too Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2008 2:16 pm

*look at the Miratian Base* I smell nukes coming.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya   The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Right Stuff: Survival in Felarya
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next