Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Raising A Predator

Go down 
+8
Karbo
DeviantDiscordian
alliance
AisuKaiko
Jætte_Troll
Reptillian
Archmage_Bael
Anime-Junkie
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

Raising A Predator Empty
PostSubject: Raising A Predator   Raising A Predator Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 6:37 am

It came up in the Tactical Defence/Offence thread that raising a baby predator would be difficult.
What I would like to do in this thread is expand on that and discuss what exactly it would involve. We already have canon human-raised predators; Domesticated Dryads.
Felarya is a dangerous place, so this sort of scenario is possible:

A kensha (or something else) kills a predator.
The predator killed was a mother/father who's young are still alive (either by not being present at the killing or by hiding).
A human (I can't see a neko doing this) stumbles across the child predator (or, in the case of nagas, naga egg).
They decide to raise him or (more likely) her.

What would happen, how would they go about it, what issues would arise?
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Raising A Predator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising A Predator   Raising A Predator Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 8:57 am

well, they'd probably have a lot of talking to do if they go to negav, or wherever. the eye would definately pose a problem, so up until the predator is about 7 or 8 ft tall, they MIGHT be able to raise them close to the boundries. the human would most likely try and teach the predator in question how to hunt things that arent able to fight back as easily, gathering fruits and other plants to eat.

I think the biggest problem is finding a safe area where other prey species' wont be scared to death. Of course, convincing them that you will raise it to help humans might help a bit, since in general humans in felarya seem to reject everything that has the word "predator" in it. (not really, im exaggurating).

Commonly I would think that even some people who take up raising a pred child still gets killed, because the lack of finding a safe place.
Back to top Go down
Reptillian
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
Reptillian

Raising A Predator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising A Predator   Raising A Predator Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 9:37 am

just tell the naga the truth once she could comprehed it and then take it from there like a human child^^

proper manner with living beings, eddible and not, friend and foe and so on
Back to top Go down
http://snicer.deviantart.com/
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

Raising A Predator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising A Predator   Raising A Predator Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 9:58 am

I would raise my predator with a harsh training regime and intense educational courses. By the time they are grown, I intend to have a highly above average intelligence, cunning, ass-kicking predator, loyal to me. I would then hold up caravans with them, using the money to buy or have constructed giant guns, swords and armour. Rinse and repeat until small army is constructed. Revel in the power. Create small predator empire. Get assumably wiped out by the guardians later but go down in history as largest badass in existence and have my name feared for generations. End up in hell. Evade Mennyssan and find a baby succubus. Raise her with harsh training regime and intense educational course............
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

Raising A Predator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising A Predator   Raising A Predator Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 11:56 am

Well, ya get it young, so you have a clean slate. Teach it what food is and what it isn't (depending on your morality) teach it to speak, teach it to read and write, teach it how to hunt for itself, transfer some of your sentient mannerisms on it.

As for her calling, she could just be big hungry daughter to ya. Otherwise, maybe the townspeople for whatever crappy village you're living in can employ her to protect the place, then you're all happy.

Or maybe you could do what I did in my story and make them a Felaryan Bonnie and Clyde, the pred munching on travelers while the human obtains whatever goods they were keeping!
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Raising A Predator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising A Predator   Raising A Predator Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 12:03 pm

bonnie and clyde was sad.
Back to top Go down
alliance
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
alliance

Raising A Predator Empty
PostSubject: Righ then   Raising A Predator Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 12:13 pm

If you look at the stategic/military tactic thread, i was the one who started this.

And personally, i would raise any orphaned pred (i would work best with nagas, mermaids, or centaurs). But once they reached a certain age, I would inform them of their true diet. I would raise tghem with love and care, but sterness as well. It would be up to them if they decided to leave or not.
Back to top Go down
DeviantDiscordian
Hero
Hero
DeviantDiscordian

Raising A Predator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising A Predator   Raising A Predator Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 12:22 pm

Jætte_Troll wrote:
I would raise my predator with a harsh training regime and intense educational courses. By the time they are grown, I intend to have a highly above average intelligence, cunning, ass-kicking predator, loyal to me. I would then hold up caravans with them, using the money to buy or have constructed giant guns, swords and armour. Rinse and repeat until small army is constructed. Revel in the power. Create small predator empire. Get assumably wiped out by the guardians later but go down in history as largest badass in existence and have my name feared for generations. End up in hell. Evade Mennyssan and find a baby succubus. Raise her with harsh training regime and intense educational course............
Pretty much this. It's perfecto!
Back to top Go down
http://one---winged---angel.deviantart.com/
alliance
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
alliance

Raising A Predator Empty
PostSubject: Nah   Raising A Predator Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 12:28 pm

Nah to harsh on them
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Raising A Predator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising A Predator   Raising A Predator Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 12:31 pm

Jætte_Troll wrote:

Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
alliance
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
alliance

Raising A Predator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising A Predator   Raising A Predator Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 12:36 pm

still to harsh on them! Mad
(yes my kind-heartedness will be the end of me)
Back to top Go down
SuperPieGuy9
Great warrior
Great warrior
SuperPieGuy9

Raising A Predator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising A Predator   Raising A Predator Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 12:48 pm

Jætte_Troll wrote:

Heh. That's hilarious. Well, I think it's very possible to raise a baby predator. Heck, a little kid predator would probably be the best. With a baby, unless it hatches and the first thing it sees is you (assuming baby predators that hatch from eggs call the first living thing they see their "momma"), you'd have to be incredibly careful that they don't get into a temper tantrum or something and eat you. Also, you'd have to instill the senses of "Right and wrong" and "food and not food" really quick to prevent yourself from getting eaten by your adoptive child, but also to prevent your adoptive child from eating people that you don't want them to eat.

With a little kid predator, they'd probably be less likely to eat you and whatnot and you'd get to teach them your senses of "Right and wrong" and more imporatantly, "food and not food" faster.

In both cases you may very well end up alive with an adoptive predator child and I think it would be pretty simple for an average Felaryan wild man (or woman) to teach a predator to hunt and gather fruits. "Avoid Kensha beasts, don't go out at night, and make sure not to eat plants you're unfamiliar with" would probably be said adoptive parent's basic lesson to their adoptive child.

The main problem with raising a predator would be to find a predator child who doesn't have a mom or a dad that would try to get them to eat you rather than to look up to you as a parental figure.

My serious tactics to raising a predator: find an abandoned fairy child. Take him/her in and raise him/her like my own child while reminding him/her that humans, nekos, and elves are not food and that he/she is not human, but is still very special and my beloved child. Teach him/her the basics of surviving in Felarya and how to hunt animals and which plants are good and which plants are bad. Teach him/her how to decide whether or not plants are good or bad and help him/her refine her magic to the best that it can be. Also teaching him/her how to make and use weapons in case his/her wings are ever damaged. And most importantly, teach him/her not to be too trusting of anybody.

I know I'm boring, but that's how I'd seriously raise a predator child.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

Raising A Predator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising A Predator   Raising A Predator Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 3:00 pm

I personally think its possible...and kind of central to my main character *points to avatar*

I think the most important thing would be to show it the same love you would show a human child. Whoever you consider your "parents" or your "people" isn't always about what you are...but how you were raised. If a predator is raised by loving human parents and friends, then it will likely always consider them its "people", and more easily relate to them.

This also offers the pred in question some potentially unexpected benefits. If raised by humans, it is likely they will be taught, at least on a basic level, reading and writing...and likely a little math and science as well. This gives them a little better understanding of the world, and possibly a little more ingenuity than the average wild preds, who would be illiterate and uneducated, besides what their parents tought them growing up.

Fiona for example, was tought to read and write, as well as a little math and science. Her adoptive father was also an engineer and a tinkerer. One of Fiona's hobbies as a grown-up is to make things when she's bored. Everything from makeshift clothes, jewelry and decorations...to simple tools. Although, Fiona's "human upbringing" could be called incomplete...since she ran away at roughly the equivalent age of 13-14. She's had to balance out what she was taught by her adoptive parents with what she needed to do in order to survive in the jungle alone.

The real challenge for the child is going to be coming to terms with their instincts. No matter how well they are raised, they ARE still predators, and the urge to hunt is hardwired into them. They will just have to learn to accept that, and control it. Even Negeyari still has a habit of lunging out at movements in bushes and at the corners of her vision...and she was TOTALLY raised by humans.
Back to top Go down
alliance
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
alliance

Raising A Predator Empty
PostSubject: Right   Raising A Predator Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 5:06 am

Hes right. Like i said, i would eventually tell my "pred family member" about their true diet
Back to top Go down
Grave
Marauder of the deep jungle
Grave

Raising A Predator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising A Predator   Raising A Predator Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 5:39 pm

Jætte_Troll wrote:

THAT'S THE LAST TIME I LEAVE MY NOTEBOOK LAYING AROUND!

But really, I would love to raise a neko, a naga, a neera, and a harpy as a happy family till they are all 10-15 years old.

Then I would proceed to lock them all together in a basement with no food source, and watch nature slowly unfold.

MUAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Back to top Go down
FalconJudge
Hero
Hero
FalconJudge

Raising A Predator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising A Predator   Raising A Predator Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 6:15 pm

Grave wrote:
Jætte_Troll wrote:

But really, I would love to raise a neko, a naga, a neera, and a harpy as a happy family till they are all 10-15 years old.

Then I would proceed to lock them all together in a basement with no food source, and watch nature slowly unfold.

MUAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

... You bastard.
Back to top Go down
http://falconjudge2.deviantart.com/
Grave
Grave

Raising A Predator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising A Predator   Raising A Predator Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 6:20 pm

FalconJudge wrote:
Grave wrote:
Jætte_Troll wrote:

MUAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

... You bastard.

You're right, I'd be a bastard to not take bets on the last race standing.
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

Raising A Predator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising A Predator   Raising A Predator Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 6:20 pm

Grave wrote:
Jætte_Troll wrote:

MUAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Yeah, that's really... reeeally mean o__o Even by the standard of the Felaryan wilderness D:
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
SuperPieGuy9
Great warrior
Great warrior
SuperPieGuy9

Raising A Predator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising A Predator   Raising A Predator Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 6:27 pm

Grave wrote:
Jætte_Troll wrote:

MUAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

You sick monster!
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

Raising A Predator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising A Predator   Raising A Predator Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 6:29 pm

Can we please get back on topic?
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Grave
Grave

Raising A Predator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising A Predator   Raising A Predator Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 6:38 pm

Anime-Junkie wrote:

Agreed, people need to stop being shocked at my evilness like it's something new.

Anyway, I have finally given myself an idea for another short story in Felarya.
Back to top Go down
Reptillian
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
Reptillian

Raising A Predator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising A Predator   Raising A Predator Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 8:28 am

Grave wrote:
Anime-Junkie wrote:

Agreed, people need to stop being shocked at my evilness like it's something new.

Anyway, I have finally given myself an idea for another short story in Felarya.

(where is the mean part??? i just see the funny stuff about locking up some innocent girls and having them eat each other to survive^^)

oh i changed my mind about what to do... anyone ever seen: danny the dog? XD

use her to get more preds and raise them like that as well... not gonna try conquer felarya and get killed by guardians, pfft. no i'm gonna make a lesbian harem and make billions on the sales of vidoes and tickets Evil laugh
Back to top Go down
http://snicer.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

Raising A Predator Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising A Predator   Raising A Predator Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Raising A Predator
Page 1 of 1