Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Home of JT's Ideas

Go down 
+18
gwadahunter2222
ravaging vixen
Malhavoc Shade
Jasconius
French snack
EdgedWeapon
dragonjaj
Shady Knight
JohnDoe
Slimetoad
Archmage_Bael
TheLightLost
AisuKaiko
Sehoolighan
Anime-Junkie
ambrose-euanthe
Karbo
Jætte_Troll
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

The Home of JT's Ideas - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Home of JT's Ideas   The Home of JT's Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 12:38 pm

Karbo wrote:
I'm really looking forward to that Razz

Jaette Troll : I think there is some very solid ideas there !

The motamo dock looks obvious, I just imagine something like that would exist Smile
I also like that division of Negav. I think I will create different pages to make the current one less clunky.
As for the elven pantheon, I like how you linked them to elemetns, ideas and colors.
I'm just curious if you imagined it from scratch or if you used some element of existing mythology for it ? ^^

The Elven Pantheon was created by me from scratch... it was actually from a weird dream I had where the colours were something that stood out and I later started to associate them.

Of course, one can look and draw out many parallels from any mythology, as between mythologies.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: The Home of JT's Ideas   The Home of JT's Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 1:17 pm

Yelzips

Yelzips are a small, sleek mammalian creature that seems to reside only within the ruins of Ur-Sagol. They have long bodies and bushy tails, with rounded ears. They are quick and mobile, and able to stand on their hind legs for a short while to peek out of cover to check for danger. From study of the ruins, it appears that Yelzips were actually a popular domesticated animal within the Sagolian Kingdom. When whatever occurred that eliminated or drove out the human inhabitants of the city, they remained in the ruins, becoming wild again and making homes in the cracks and crevices of that place. They are mostly harmless to humans, with the excepting factor that they are relentless little thieves. Besides swiping food, they also will grab anything shiny or glittering. They are also much more intelligent than their simple form makes them appear. Recently, many of the rich of Negav have been offering rewards for captured Yelzips, wanting to reclaim a living piece of the lost Sagolian way of life.

Jevals

A strange looking creature, with a beaked head with horns and a fin on the back. It has leathering wings, clawed feet and four tails that end in hard, round spheres. They live across middle Felarya, most noticeably in ruins. When they fly, their tails tend to strike each other, which produces a very creepy rattling noise. They have a cry that sounds like a whispering wind. They are entirely harmless, using their tough beaks to crack open nuts. However, if they feel they are threatened, they have the curious defensive strategy of tossing stones or rocks with their beak, or dropping them with their claws.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: The Home of JT's Ideas   The Home of JT's Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 5:20 am

Ohh great job on those ! Now at least the two creature in that Ur_sagol picture are no longer nameless lol!
I also loved that idea of Negavians wanting to reclaim some of the way of the Sagolians.
I really like those. As usual, do you agree with the disclaimer ? ^^
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: The Home of JT's Ideas   The Home of JT's Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 11:49 am

Hehe, glad you caught where they were from. I agree to the disclaimer.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: The Home of JT's Ideas   The Home of JT's Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 12:20 am

Time to give some love to less filled up areas of the wiki. I'm also trying to think up ideas for what Negav's University of Magic would be like.

Vehicle - Bore Tank

Traveling on the surface of Felarya is a dangerous endeavor. Thus, a group of Vishmital got together to invent a vehicle that could travel distances from Negav - though doing so underground. They adapted the original design from mining drills used in the Ascarlin Mines. The end result was a small compact vehicle, with a large boring device on the front, with enough power to easily chew through soil and crunch through rock. The Bore Tank is powered by Actinite Batteries. It is fairly small, having a crew of only five, as much space is given to the equipment to run the bore. It is well armoured to protect it from scrapes and bumps on its journey. One unique feature that all Bore Tanks have is a method for "safer" emergence. The Bore Tanks have magical devices that work similarly to a predator sense - it works on a good sized area above the Bore Tank, giving the crew a good idea of what life-forms lie above. This does however have a side effect of increasing the magical signatures of the crwe, making many Bore Tanks have to remain underground for long periods of time, searching for a safe point to emerge. This has also led to many frustrated predators who suddenly sense a bunch of tasty humans somewhere maddeningly close but entirely unseen.

Vehicle - Rover

The Rover is the main wheeled vehicle used that is actually manufactured on Felarya as opposed to various variants imported from off world. It is a low vehicle with six wheels that can move up and down as they go over terrain, allowing a Rover maneuverability usually not found by off world cars. The Rover has a covered cockpit that can seat two. It is powered by Actinite, which allows it to make much less noise and smell than gasoline powered cars. Most Rovers are also painted green and brown - this, combined with their low profile, make it hard to spot by less sensitive creatures. The cockpit was also designed to dampen the magical signatures of the occupents as much as possible. Some rover variants have a third seat in the back from which a weapon can be fired - usually an electrical cannon or larger version of the 0-VM Hot Rifle, with the hope of warding off pursuers. Despite these precautions, the Rover is mainly used for short missions close to Negav.

Negav - The Bastion

Located in the Lower Tier of Negav, the Bastion is the Headquarters of the Negav Police. It is built directly over where New Chargate Prison lies underground. The Bastion is built like a small castle, with high walls and towers. Here are all the Police offices as well as the Police Arsenal. It also contains a few cells, mostly for holding offenders of petty crimes for a day or so. The prisoners that end up here are usually drunken Adventurers our those who come from worlds with wildly different cultures and are arrested for "public disturbance." The more corrupt members of the Negavian Police prey on these people by confiscating "illegal" items and demanding large sums of money for their return, or accepting bribes for a shortened stay.

Negav - The Magidomus

Located in the Higher Tier the Magidomus is the Headquarters of the Psi'ol Magiocrats. It is a large building that is built around the base of the Isolon Eye, keeping the Magiocrats close to their source of power and influence. It is a grand, opulent building with massive gilded halls and a multitude of rooms. These include the Council Chamber at the base of the Eye, where decisions are made on Negavian issues, the tower that serves as the barracks for the Isolon Fist as well as general offices and research laboratories. The Magidomus has many enchantments cast all around it, from the mundane to make life easier for the mages, to elaborate security systems that are often deviously subtle. Instead of being blasted by lightening, an intruder may walk into a hallway only to find that it appears to go on forever - in both directions. Or someone trying to break into the base of the Isolon eye will suddenly be teleported straight to a cell in New Chargate Prison! The close one gets to the base of the Eye, the higher rank is required to bypass these enchantments.

Negav - The Arx

The Arx is the Headquarters of the Vishmitals in Negav. Naturally, it is located right across the street from the Magidomus. On the outside it looks surprisingly plain. It is a rather unassuming metallic compound, albeit with many strange devices on the roof. It sits in the middle of a square surrounded by a guarded wall. Often the Vishmital leaders organize parades here to remind them of their lost Empire. However, the Arx extends far, far underground and its underground holdings are surrounded by strong metal walls designed to defend against tunneling intruders or those using magic. While many rumours abound about the strange things in the Magidomus, no one really knows what lies in the vast basements of the Arx. The Arx is known to have tunnels that go to stations near the Negavian walls, which the Vishmitals have manned with their advanced weaponry.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: The Home of JT's Ideas   The Home of JT's Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 1:13 pm

Culture - Kris' Maas

Kris' Maas is an event that takes place across Felarya at what appears to be regular intervals. It is part holiday and part magical rift disaster. Among the predators it is generally a time of joy, even if they do not know much of the actual origin of the event.

"Kris'Maas" is named after the Succubus of the same name, "Kris'Maas the Heretic." She was a Frost Succubus who became displeased with her lot in the Hell dimension of Felarya. Thus, she led a number of her other Frost Succubi in a revolt, murdering many of their superiors and traveling en-masse to Felarya. Kris'Maas then cast, through unknown means, or possibly a fluke, one of the most powerful Ice Magic summoning spells seen. Whole swaths of central Felarya were suddenly buried in snow, wreaking havoc on the local ecosystem. Hundreds of Frost Succubi roamed free, causing havoc in what was essentially a massive twisted Succubi party.

The leaders of Hell were mortified at this show of disrespect and the mess that had been created. They prepared for a full out invasion of Felarya, an event which could have torn the universe apart. However, on the eve of battle, a young Succubus, who had been lazing in the corner, raised her voice, offering a different solution.

The most powerful mages of Hell prepared their own spell, unleashing it on the rebels. In an instant, all the rebels lost their size changing magic, if they had any and were trapped at human size. Hell had no need for an invasion. The local predators did a fine job of "dealing" with the rebels. Once the majority of the rebel Frost Succubi were gone, their enchantment faded and the snow melted. However, there was a problem. The spell had somehow been locked in - every set space of time, the snows would return for a day.

Hell was rather embarrassed by their inability to deal with this spell and did not want to seem ungrateful. So, whenever the snows came, a Noble Succubus, wearing the fearsome red cap of her office, would board one of the feared War Sleighs of Dis. As thanks to the predators of Felarya for their aid so long ago, the sleigh, flown by an enchanted Rangitaur (or Reindeertaur), adept at operating in the cold, would soar above the snowy skies, tossing out gifts, sometimes warm clothing but most often captured prey races who had been snared by demons, turning this cold day into a festive one.

In Negav, this day is seen as a cursed one - it is regularly believed that on this day demonic activity is at its highest as the demons are eager to capture more humans to feed to the predators. Parents warn their children to be extra-specially good on this day, else a demon might be attracted to their naughtiness and come to claim them. Parents are not above bribing their children with promises of chocolate and sweets should they make it through the day. Strangely, this actually makes Negav a very pleasant place at Kris'Maas, everyone being extremely nice and kind to each other, even criminals giving out presents to children and helping old ladies cross the street, in the hopes that they will avoid a visit from a demon.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: The Home of JT's Ideas   The Home of JT's Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 1:29 pm

I don't like this idea. First of all, it's obviously inspired by Karbo's picture, which I see as a somewhat lack of creativity, and second, this turns an obvious joke as something depressing and unfunny. There's already enough deaths and all, so why can't there be at least one good occasion for Negav and the humans?
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: The Home of JT's Ideas   The Home of JT's Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 1:44 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
I don't like this idea. First of all, it's obviously inspired by Karbo's picture, which I see as a somewhat lack of creativity, and second, this turns an obvious joke as something depressing and unfunny. There's already enough deaths and all, so why can't there be at least one good occasion for Negav and the humans?

You know what, you are totally right. I was attempting to expand on an idea, to better integrate mine within the world as a whole. How stupid was I? And it was totally wrong of me to be inspired by anything. Inspiration is not creativity, after all.

And yeah, I went totally srs with this. It was supposed to be a grim tale in the annals of Hell. I don't see what you were trying to get out of it. But I guess you are right. Felarya is a world of magic, wonder and delight. And the idea of everyone in Negav being nice? Even the criminals? The idea of a lawless, rugged city turning to goodwill? That is the most depressing thing I think I have ever written. Excuse me while I go cry for a bit.

So how about once a year in Negav everything is lovely and joy and happiness with snowflakes and Christmas bells and candy and presents? And the predators get humans but don't eat them and take them out for gingerbread cookies with angels? Would that be a better direction you think?
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: The Home of JT's Ideas   The Home of JT's Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 1:58 pm

I like the idea.

I'm not familiar with the rules for Succubi taking people yet, but I like the idea of people not wanting a visit from ... lets say "Succubus Clause" or "Sandy Claws."

How about they bring doomed souls from Hell stuffed in a bag and then toss them out for the holiday? I don't know. I'm not against this whole idea.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: The Home of JT's Ideas   The Home of JT's Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 2:05 pm

Keep snarking all you want if you can't take that someone doesn't agree with your idea. The point is that I've checked the wiki for Negav's culture and the other special day, if you can call it that way, is Mirror Day, which involves mirror creatures coming out of every mirrors unless it's covered. Not exactly a time for fun, and the second "special" day is a cursed one. If you are aiming for a joke, I personally think saying that it's joke would be better.
Back to top Go down
French snack
French snack

PostSubject: Re: The Home of JT's Ideas   The Home of JT's Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 2:32 pm

Very cleverly done! Very Happy It expands nicely on a one-off humorous picture, and does so in a way which oddly makes sense. The pieces fit together to form a twisted yet pleasant and heart-warming Felaryan celebration. Kris'Maas as a demonic party which has turned into a celebration of friendship and kindness. Smile
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: The Home of JT's Ideas   The Home of JT's Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 2:41 pm

French snack wrote:
Very cleverly done! Very Happy It expands nicely on a one-off humorous picture, and does so in a way which oddly makes sense. The pieces fit together to form a twisted yet pleasant and heart-warming Felaryan celebration. Kris'Maas as a demonic party which has turned into a celebration of friendship and kindness. Smile
I would have prefered the omission of the "twisted" part, personally. It's especially the "cursed day" aspect that bugs me. I know the place is a rough one, but even though the whole deal is that everyone is nice and kind in Negav, it's still a cursed day. I don't think anyone in Negav is ever thrown a bone. I mean, criminality is high and the government is implied to be corrupt. If the "cursed day" part was omitted and rather that people would be happy that they narrowly avoided a demonic invasion, and maybe used that legend to discourage bad behavior, kinda like how bad kids get coal for christmas, I would personally like it better.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: The Home of JT's Ideas   The Home of JT's Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 3:01 pm

I'm going to agree with Sean here. It's still a cursed day.
Also, think about what you're implying there JT, with the children. You should modify that so it says "else a demon might be attracted to their naughtiness and come to claim them when they're older."

With this, you're turning it from a cursed day to probably one of the most feared days of the year for sentient prey races.
I like your concept, but that last part has horrifying implications.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: The Home of JT's Ideas   The Home of JT's Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 3:47 pm

Anime-Junkie wrote:
I'm going to agree with Sean here. It's still a cursed day.
Also, think about what you're implying there JT, with the children. You should modify that so it says "else a demon might be attracted to their naughtiness and come to claim them when they're older."

With this, you're turning it from a cursed day to probably one of the most feared days of the year for sentient prey races.
I like your concept, but that last part has horrifying implications.

Hmm, alright. Thank you for the constructive criticism and intelligent argument. I'm not even sure if there would be any actual demonic abductions... not many at least. But the concept of something is often enough to give people incentive.

Still, if you think that getting eaten by a Succubus is a horrifying threat to a child... well, you ever heard of the Krampus? Perchten? Gryla? It's only in the West with the Coca-Cola Santa that Christmas is all nice and pleasant.

I actually like the idea about taking doomed souls from Hell... that would be a place to get a lot of them. And they would go... right back to Hell. So no one really loses out.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: The Home of JT's Ideas   The Home of JT's Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 5:24 pm

I would like an apology for the rude snarks you gave me when I nicely voiced my opinions.
Back to top Go down
Malhavoc Shade
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer
Malhavoc Shade

PostSubject: Re: The Home of JT's Ideas   The Home of JT's Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 5:45 pm

"Did I just smash the Krampus?"

I am personally familiar with the less 'child-friendly' versions of holiday lore. It comes with the territory of being German-blooded. Grimm's Fairy Tales and all that. XP

Anyway, in German folklore, an evil demon called the Krampus rides along with Santa, carrying a wicker basket full of sharp sticks that he uses to beat bad children to death with, among other horrible and fatal tortures, before sending them down to Hell for eternity. Such a jolly holiday thought, eh? Anyway, my point being is that while my fellow Germans and I can be a bit grim, who's to say it wouldn't be even more grim on Felarya where your daily life can be interrupted by an unscheduled devouring among many other not fun things? Just some food for thought.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: The Home of JT's Ideas   The Home of JT's Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 5:56 pm

It may be so, but as AJ said, it has bad implications in the sense of "don't be bad, or demons will rise and abduct us all", and it was outright stated as a cursed day. Also, the devouring is not a good argument IMO. Take any sword and sorcery setting where there are hordes of monsters waiting to tear you to shred outside the city walls. The vore of Felarya is essentially the same concept in a different form.

Just to say that a tale that ends like "And the moral of the story is: don't be a bad child, or a demon will kidnap you and then eat you whole" would be a terrible to tell to a kid IMO. It would just depress them and give them nightmares on a day whose concept is for people to be friendly to each other. I'm personally not against the concept of a time of the year where people are nice and kind with sort of a retribution for being bad like in christmas folklore, but you could at least soften the negative outcome of the myth a bit for the kids it's told to.
Back to top Go down
Malhavoc Shade
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer
Malhavoc Shade

PostSubject: Re: The Home of JT's Ideas   The Home of JT's Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 6:19 pm

I suppose that is a fair argument, but the whole 'devouring' aspect needs to be taken into account that most monsters/creatures/what-have-you on Felarya are many times more dangerous than what I have ever seen in any other fantasy setting. Heck, if it wasn't for the 'no consumption without permission' clause on most of the Felarya RPGs, I think the average human-sized character lifespan would be shorter than in a Dark Heresy campaign (which is normally less than one session).

But I think I missed the heart of your argument; perhaps due to my raising. But the moral of the Krampus in the Christmas story is basically, "And the moral of the story is: don't be a bad child, or a demon will come in the dark of the night and torture and beat you for hours on end before killing you and dragging your soul down into Hell forever! Very Happy" This is where the cultural disconnect comes into play. It is still a practiced tradition today. Teenagers will routinely dress as the Krampus and accompany another dressed as St. Nicholas to scare children and determine if they have been naughty or not. Does this lead to depression and deep-rooted psychological fears? I dunno. Would be an interesting study! But in any case, the cultural difference is the nature of the beast here. Who has the power to say that on Felarya they don't scare their children with mind-numbing horror-stories about the season of giving? (Other than Karbo Razz)

I can see where you are coming from in a sense, but as JT said "It's only in the West with the Coca-Cola Santa that Christmas is all nice and pleasant." I have experienced both sides of Christmas spending my childhood both in the USA and in Germany. While the American Christmas is nice, don't be so quick to discount other versions of the holiday. They all have their pros and cons. It is all a matter of how you were raised I think. You might think the Krampus tradition is horrific and barbaric, but I think it is tradition and a part of the season.
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: The Home of JT's Ideas   The Home of JT's Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 6:22 pm

It's kinda like, "drink this poison" vs "drink this poison with sugar on top." I'd rather just give it to the kid straight. Be good or your gonna be fat on a Succubi's butt one day.

But I might've missed the point again. XP
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: The Home of JT's Ideas   The Home of JT's Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 6:47 pm

Granted, I never heard or studied foreign christmas folklores and I am not against cultural differences at all, it's the explicit mention of a cursed day that irks me. As I said, I am well aware that Felarya in general is very rough and you have to be at the top of your game to stand a chance of living. However, there are also times where Negav has dystopian connotations such as high criminality, a split government with the members of the ruling oligarchy conspiring against each other on a daily basis, and now a day where everyone is nice out of fear alone. When you think about it, there's nothing pleasant at all, even in the so-called "Safe Haven" of the known Felarya.

Even though the people are nice to each other, and I assume that the Kriss'Mas (sp) folklore wouldn't be taken 100% seriously, at its core, people are being nice because they are too afraid of comitting the lightest bad action and dooming everyone. This is the part that I personally disagree with, as it's covering a day of terror with fake smiles. This is like covering a cigarette with bright and happy drawings: it may look more pleasant, but it's still a cigarette that's noxious for your health. I personally would find the idea better if the explicit "cursed day" mention was omitted entirely, and that the negative outcome, while linked with life in Felarya, is softened just a tiny bit.

Last edited by Sean Okotami on Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Malhavoc Shade
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer
Malhavoc Shade

PostSubject: Re: The Home of JT's Ideas   The Home of JT's Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 7:00 pm

Now that I can understand! I was wondering where the root of the issue was. In that case, yes I can agree. It reminds me a bit of Futurama's version of Christmas. Where the robot Santa goes on a rampage and the fear 'brings everyone closer'... as in all of them huddling in a single corner. Perhaps the corrupt magiocracy twisted the nature of the day to enforce a sort of control? Or maybe they are that paranoid about demons? Who knows. But Negav isn't the only bastion of civilization on Felarya. This same day could in fact be a festive one elsewhere. If you bring in the idea of other people entering the portals and bringing their traditions too, then you get things really FUBAR'd. But yes, in this case, I concede the point to you Sean. 'Cursing' the day is an interesting and humorous idea, but I would avoid generalizing it and saying 'everyone' believes it is cursed if it is in fact a 'cursed' day.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: The Home of JT's Ideas   The Home of JT's Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 7:03 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
I would like an apology for the rude snarks you gave me when I nicely voiced my opinions.

I do not know what you refer to. Your comments were valid, based of course on the fact that they were nice. How nice a comment is always is equivalent to how intelligent and well thought out it is.

Anyways, elsewhere, this was just a funny idea attempting to give a story to why there's a succubus flying around in a sleigh. For a forum based around a world where people are devoured for lulz, I am simply surprised that there is this much fear of a darker side to a Holiday. Personally, I think that threatening kids with such a myth would be bad. But on Felarya where pretty much everything wants to eat or kill you, a little fear would be a good thing.

I simply didn't realize that things in Negav had to be "nice".

I agree with many of Malhavoc Shade's points and am glad at the bringing up in more detail the Krampus. And this is the myth of the day - how many believe it would vary, but it wouldn't be out of place to have the myth originate in a fear.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: The Home of JT's Ideas   The Home of JT's Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 7:17 pm

@JT: When I first voiced my opinion, you responded in a very blatant sarcastic tone, as if you were mocking the reasons I didn't like the concept. I can agree that Negav is not squeaky clean and will never be a utopia, but when you think about it, Negav isn't very pleasant with the high rate of crime and the members of the ruling party having their own agendas. So I thought bringing something a bit more happy in Negav wouldn't hurt, just to lighten its shade of gray a little. I can understand bringing a little fear, as I think western kids are afraid of getting coal instead of toys, but an explicit cursed day just doesn't match with a time where people are nice and happy. I'd like to offer a compromise that its very origin is as a cursed day, and that said origin is slowly fading away from popular consciousness over time, as I think is the case for many real life holidays. The idea of a Frost Succubus as a Felaryan Santa is pretty neat and I have no problem with that.

@Shade: Well, the idea with Robo-Santa, I think, is that it's just nonsensically over the top. I'm pretty sure I'm wrong, though. Also, yes, Negav isn't the only major, big settlement in Felarya, but it is undoubtedly the most well known.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: The Home of JT's Ideas   The Home of JT's Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 10:22 pm

I had literally thought of parents who's kid had been taken away, with them not being able to do anything. That is a horrible feeling.
If the souls are taken from hell I don't have a problem with this. They're already damned.

Quote :
Perhaps the corrupt magiocracy twisted the nature of the day to enforce a sort of control? Or maybe they are that paranoid about demons? Who knows.
Hey now, don't be so hard on those guys. to be sure, there is corruption, but I really doubt that the magiocracy is rife with corruption.

Jætte_Troll wrote:
For a forum based around a world where people are devoured for lulz
10 points from Trollindor.

Last edited by Anime-Junkie on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Missign quite was missing)
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: The Home of JT's Ideas   The Home of JT's Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 10:45 pm

Culture - Kris' Maas - Edit

Kris' Maas is an event that takes place across Felarya at what appears to be regular intervals. It is part holiday and part magical rift disaster. Among the predators it is generally a time of joy, even if they do not know much of the actual origin of the event.

"Kris'Maas" is named after the Succubus of the same name, "Kris'Maas the Heretic." She was a Frost Succubus who became displeased with her lot in the Hell dimension of Felarya. Thus, she led a number of her other Frost Succubi in a revolt, murdering many of their superiors and traveling en-masse to Felarya. Kris'Maas then cast, through unknown means, or possibly a fluke, one of the most powerful Ice Magic summoning spells seen. Whole swaths of central Felarya were suddenly buried in snow, wreaking havoc on the local ecosystem. Hundreds of Frost Succubi roamed free, causing havoc in what was essentially a massive twisted Frost Succubi party.

The leaders of Hell were mortified at this show of disrespect and the mess that had been created. They prepared for a full out invasion of Felarya, an event which could have torn the universe apart. However, on the eve of battle, a young Succubus, who had been lazing in the corner, raised her voice, offering a different solution.

The most powerful mages of Hell prepared their own spell, unleashing it on the rebels. In an instant, all the rebels lost their size changing magic, if they had any and were trapped at human size. Hell had no need for an invasion. The local predators did a fine job of "dealing" with the rebels. Kris' Maas herself attempted to flee north to find a rumoured Frost Succubus relic - she would have caused more havoc had she not been captured by a Rangitaur ( colloquially known as Reindeertaur), who gave her as a gift to a hungry, younger member of her herd. Once the majority of the rebel Frost Succubi were gone, their enchantment faded and the snow melted. However, there was a problem. The spell had somehow been locked in - every set space of time, the snows would return for a day.

Hell was rather embarrassed by their inability to deal with this spell and did not want to seem ungrateful. So, whenever the snows came, a Noble Succubus, wearing the fearsome red cap of her office, would board one of the feared War Sleighs of Dis. As thanks to the predators of Felarya for their aid so long ago, the sleigh would soar above the snowy skies, tossing out gifts, sometimes warm clothing but most often prey who had their souls snared by demons, usually evil souls taken directly from Hell to Felarya for the day, turning this cold day into a festive one. A Rangitaur is chosen from the Northern tribes each year and given the ability to fly, in order to pull the sleight. This is to specially remember the Rangitaur who captured Kris'Maas and gave her away in the spirit of charity. In this way Hell paid its debts, made amends for the snows and started a tradition of sorts.

In Negav, this day was originally seen as a cursed one, due to the havoc wrecked by the Frost Succubi during the original Kris'Maas. Whenever the snows came again, the humans feared another demonic invasion and took steps to ward them off. Wether their souls were really in danger or not, the inhabitants attempted to be on their best behavior, just in case. Even though the real reason for this is know forgotten, it is still customary to partake in acts of kindness and goodwill on Kris'Maas. Parents give presents to their children on the condition of good behavior, while warning them that naughtiness could attract the attention of a frost demon. Festive lights and candles are laid out (originally these were made as holy wards, though nowadays people just like how pretty they look.) It is also customary to make little angel dolls and put them in high places, to further frighten off any demons.

Frost Succubi themselves pretend that this holiday doesn't occour and don't understand what "all this fuss is about." They traditionally stay at home until the whole rigamarole is over with.

Last edited by Jætte_Troll on Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Home of JT's Ideas   The Home of JT's Ideas - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Home of JT's Ideas
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next