Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Description of Great Tree

Go down 
+12
FalconJudge
Archmage_Bael
CauldronBorn24
Pendragon
Anime-Junkie
Stabs
Oldman40k2003
Slimetoad
Shady Knight
rcs619
aethernavale
scifidork
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
scifidork
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
scifidork

Description of Great Tree Empty
PostSubject: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 9:30 pm

I'd like to know just how big the Great Tree is, in particular how tall it is, diameter of the main trunk, and how far out the branches extend.(also what kind of tree tree it actually is if that is important)

I think that it is about 1,000 feet tall, trunk diameter of 80-100 feet, with branches extending 500-750 feet out.
Back to top Go down
http://scifidork.deviantart.com/
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 11:31 pm

Not even close.

Description/Image of the Great Tree

That tree supports its own ecosystem. Your dimensiona are larger than a typical Felaryan tree though, I would imagine. The other trees being something capable of supporting giant dridders and nagas sleeping in them, yet not necessarily individual mountains. But perhaps not.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree Icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 4:54 am

Yeah, there really are no definative measurements for The Giant Tree. Really, the only way to describe it is...big. Really, really big. So stunningly, mind-boggling big that you just have to stop and go "Holy shit, that is a big tree!"

The claims that entire villages, or even cities could be built upon some of its larger branches are quite literal. Its canopy even supports its own seperate ecosystem, complete with lakes.

If you've read the manga, there is a part where Crisis falls, for quite some distance, along it. She's a good 200ft long. Even her just falling for a few seconds is well over 1000ft. I think the only way to measure the giant tree is in miles, and likely dozens and dozens of those.

Description of Great Tree Gianttreewiki

I think it would be safe to assume that, barring any other extreme ecological oddities, The Giant Tree of the Tolmeshal Forest is more than likely the single largest and oldest living creature in all of Felarya, if not the entire multiverse.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree Icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 6:00 am

Something I must get out of the way. I know it's nitpicky, but why does everyone miscall it "Great Tree" when the official name is "Giant Tree." Did they even read the entry?
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree Icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 6:49 am

Does it matter? Either way it describes a truly majestic thing no matter how you call or look at it
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 2:23 am

rcs619 wrote:
Yeah, there really are no definative measurements for The Giant Tree. Really, the only way to describe it is...big. Really, really big. So stunningly, mind-boggling big that you just have to stop and go "Holy shit, that is a big tree!"

The claims that entire villages, or even cities could be built upon some of its larger branches are quite literal. Its canopy even supports its own seperate ecosystem, complete with lakes.

If you've read the manga, there is a part where Crisis falls, for quite some distance, along it. She's a good 200ft long. Even her just falling for a few seconds is well over 1000ft. I think the only way to measure the giant tree is in miles, and likely dozens and dozens of those.

I think it would be safe to assume that, barring any other extreme ecological oddities, The Giant Tree of the Tolmeshal Forest is more than likely the single largest and oldest living creature in all of Felarya, if not the entire multiverse.

I wonder if you could somehow use the laws of perspective to give a rough estimate of how big it has been drawn in that picture? It's hard to do trigonometry with only one picture and no/few proportions to work with though...
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 7:28 am

As a matter of fact, Oldman, I think perspective is a lost cause in this picture. Let's try looking for environmental clues, then.

The tops aren't snowed all over, so I think we can safely assume it's... a little help, someone?
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 7:51 am

Stabs wrote:
The tops aren't snowed all over, so I think we can safely assume it's... a little help, someone?
We can safely assume it is not as tall as frost mountain.

Anyway, i'm of the opinion that the Giant Tree is so big that it doesn't matter.
There are far too many issues with measuring it. Where do you start measuring; The very ground? The base of the roots?
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 11:49 am

Considering that Crisis is a little over 200ft long...yeah, the giant tree is big. Really, really big. Its unbelievably huge to even giant predators, and has lakes they can swim in if they want. I think its height is somewhere between 50 and 100 miles tall, myself. I don't think being snowed over is an issue, considering Felarya's wierd dimensional nature and the fact that it is in a warmer region than Frost Peak. The Giant Tree is like the predators, it should not exist and should not be able to be that big...but it is.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 9:47 am

Spoiler:

But seriously, I never saw a tree in ANY literature that grew so big. It's an impressive feat of nature.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 10:16 am

Maybe except Clerya in Final Fantasy IX, but even then, I don't think it comes anywhere near the Giant Tree's girth.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 10:20 am

The only thing I can think of that compares to the size of the Giant Tree is this:

Description of Great Tree Mike2b

This is the mushroom could from the Ivy Mike hydrogen bomb test at around 2-3 minutes after detonation. At this point the cloud is around 33km high (108,000 feet) above sea level. The summit of Everest is 8.848km (29,029ft) in elevation. To be honest I can't really see the Ginat Tree being much larger than this.

EDIT:

After talking with AJ I did a little searching. Description of Great Tree JMATEOStitle This image was taken at 70,000ft; I think at that alttitude one would be ejected from Felarya and into space.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 12:23 pm

well considering from all the posts I read, 1k ft would be way too small. As trees IRL can get up to 450 ft. 33km is too big though XD

um, relatively speaking though the great tree looks to be about 1,000 times bigger than crisis. she's like what...75 ft? x1000 = 75,000 which makes about 14.2 miles high. That's still about 22 km though.

This is weird though, because from the scale it looks like its anywhere from 600-1000 times her height, yet at 22 km its still too high I think. I'd like to say its just about 50k feet, but when anything gets that high, we can just ballpark it at best, considering this is fantasy, and felarya's not an actual planet that would give SOME leway though right? That tree couldn't have grown naturally.

Wait. Felarya. Nevermind.

My whole post has just been invalidated then.
Back to top Go down
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 2:33 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
well considering from all the posts I read, 1k ft would be way too small. As trees IRL can get up to 450 ft. 33km is too big though XD

um, relatively speaking though the great tree looks to be about 1,000 times bigger than crisis. she's like what...75 ft? x1000 = 75,000 which makes about 14.2 miles high. That's still about 22 km though.

This is weird though, because from the scale it looks like its anywhere from 600-1000 times her height, yet at 22 km its still too high I think. I'd like to say its just about 50k feet, but when anything gets that high, we can just ballpark it at best, considering this is fantasy, and felarya's not an actual planet that would give SOME leway though right? That tree couldn't have grown naturally.

Wait. Felarya. Nevermind.

My whole post has just been invalidated then.

Well this question inspired a conversation between AJ, Cliff and myself on the state of Felarya's atmosphere, I wont go into details here but it will alow the tree to be around 50,000ft. And you are very right about the atmosphere being nothing like that of a planet.
Back to top Go down
FalconJudge
Hero
Hero
FalconJudge

PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 4:52 pm

And, if all else fails, and I keep coming back to this:

Magic.
Back to top Go down
http://falconjudge2.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 8:37 pm

I love felarya for magic, but I also don't really like to fall back on it that much.

The tree is probably around 45k -50k ft then, and in addition, since felarya's atmosphere comes from a plain I can kind of see that powerful magic could expand the dimensional barrier in a small area to create smaller pockets that would allow objects that might be able to grow higher, that thought just came to me this second, and Im to tired to think about why it wouldn't exist, I'll leave that to someone else. (In another topic though probably)
Back to top Go down
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 8:54 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
I love felarya for magic, but I also don't really like to fall back on it that much.

The tree is probably around 45k -50k ft then, and in addition, since felarya's atmosphere comes from a plain I can kind of see that powerful magic could expand the dimensional barrier in a small area to create smaller pockets that would allow objects that might be able to grow higher, that thought just came to me this second, and Im to tired to think about why it wouldn't exist, I'll leave that to someone else. (In another topic though probably)

Working on it.
Back to top Go down
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 3:18 am

It's probably an insane idea, but with the talk of the dimensional barriers and Felarya not appearing from space, maybe if you managed to reach the absolute top of the Giant Tree, it would be so ridiculously high that you might as well be close to leaving Felarya, the rest of the world appearing hazy and about-to-vanish if you look down
Back to top Go down
scifidork
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
scifidork

PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 7:26 pm

Ok, 10 miles tall. I was curious because I wanted to make a model of it in MineCraft (unless I find some other 3d program).
Back to top Go down
http://scifidork.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 7:29 pm

The skybox is not high enough for you to recreate the Giant Tree in minecraft.
Back to top Go down
macdaddy
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
macdaddy

PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 8:17 pm

Anime-Junkie wrote:
The skybox is not high enough for you to recreate the Giant Tree in minecraft.

Unlesssssssss you dig down and open up a massive space for it, from ground to top skybox is about 128 i believe. By ground i mean from the indestructible blocks on the bottom
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 8:32 pm

Or assume everything is scaled down a la Spore where a planetary colony takes up an entire continent on Earth? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
codaman
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 1:23 am

Anyone ever think that the Great/Giant Tree may in fact have it's own gravity field and atmosphere above Felarya's? Hell, 70,000 feet here, you're on the verge of space walking, but felarya isn't here is it? in fact most of the inhabitants in felarya are huge, so why can't the atmosphere be unreasonably huge as well? that just solves the whole damn problem for the great tree breaking logical earth related barriers.

As a good and... hilariously fucked up... example, has anyone explained why vivian is not 400 feet underground yet? she's the perfect example of being "larger" than others. laugh alone

So... I say... The tree is damn huge, end of pointless measuring of a self supporting tree from a whole different world. Razz
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 2:05 am

codaman wrote:
Anyone ever think that the Great/Giant Tree may in fact have it's own gravity field
No, it's not that big.
codaman wrote:
atmosphere
Well, just wait for the hypothesis that Cauldronborn and I came up with.
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 7:46 am

macdaddy wrote:
Unlesssssssss you...

I ssssssseeeee what you did there.

Stupid creepers, always blowing my cool stuff up! Very Mad
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Description of Great Tree
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next