Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Description of Great Tree

Go down 
+12
FalconJudge
Archmage_Bael
CauldronBorn24
Pendragon
Anime-Junkie
Stabs
Oldman40k2003
Slimetoad
Shady Knight
rcs619
aethernavale
scifidork
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
macdaddy
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
macdaddy

Description of Great Tree - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 9:08 am

Oldman40k2003 wrote:
macdaddy wrote:
Unlesssssssss you...

I ssssssseeeee what you did there.

Stupid creepers, always blowing my cool stuff up! Very Mad

I actually wasnt refering to creepers when i did that ssss(for once) it was more a elongating of the s in unless, so more like a thinking while saying it in a way

Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 10:11 am

The full image of it seems to show it in a low lying area as Crisis (I believe that is her in the image) appears to be on a hill overlooking it. This could lower the trees overall height above sea level but keep it the same size. This could be amplified as what would be considered a hill to a giant naga could be seen as a small mountain to a human.

I doubt the top of the tree is so close to the atmosphere that one could leave Felarya as harpies, if I'm correct, have been seen flying over it in one of the preview panels from the upcoming manga.

P.S. For some reason all this talk on various different dimensions for the tree reminds me of the MST3K's line, with slight modification, "It radically alters its size depending on your perspective."
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 1:35 pm

codaman wrote:
As a good and... hilariously fucked up... example, has anyone explained why vivian is not 400 feet underground yet? she's the perfect example of being "larger" than others. laugh alone

can I quote you? I love vivi-memes

also, you could create something that tall in blender or 3ds max. luckily trees don't take up much memory.
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 2:50 pm

rcs619 wrote:
Yeah, there really are no definative measurements for The Giant Tree. Really, the only way to describe it is...big. Really, really big. So stunningly, mind-boggling big that you just have to stop and go "Holy shit, that is a big tree!"

The claims that entire villages, or even cities could be built upon some of its larger branches are quite literal. Its canopy even supports its own seperate ecosystem, complete with lakes.

If you've read the manga, there is a part where Crisis falls, for quite some distance, along it. She's a good 200ft long. Even her just falling for a few seconds is well over 1000ft. I think the only way to measure the giant tree is in miles, and likely dozens and dozens of those.

Description of Great Tree - Page 2 Gianttreewiki

I think it would be safe to assume that, barring any other extreme ecological oddities, The Giant Tree of the Tolmeshal Forest is more than likely the single largest and oldest living creature in all of Felarya, if not the entire multiverse.

Urfgh... wait... I... I think... I think... I think we can measure it... my brain hurts a little from saying this, but take a look at that small tree on the base. I think if we can somehow manage to measure that smaller tree, we could compare the giant tree to that smaller tree.

And a sane estimate would be... what's the largest broad-foliaged (I know nothing about trees. Sue me.) tree in existence? Multiply its maximum size by 12, brobdingnian proportions. Then we might be able to estimate the size of the giant tree by comparison, assuming that both trees are far enough from the observer that any projection rays from the edges are approximately parallel.
Back to top Go down
codaman
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 4:28 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
codaman wrote:
As a good and... hilariously fucked up... example, has anyone explained why vivian is not 400 feet underground yet? she's the perfect example of being "larger" than others. laugh alone

can I quote you? I love vivi-memes

I don't mind, might want to take out the "laugh alone" or actually put the smiley there though. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Description of Great Tree   Description of Great Tree - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Description of Great Tree
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2