Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General Q and A

Go down 
+65
Stabs
Rezec
macdaddy
Lobo
Pim18
asaenvolk
X
space_samurai
PrinnyDood
zersergathant
Black Aquila
Sehoolighan
Black Hole Fragment
Solomon
M19Kamikaze
Tuc135
GREGOLE
Vaderaz
Darkstorm Zero
buddha66667
French snack
Zillachary
thejackle123
Warrior3000
Krisexy26
walkingbyself
luke112
ginbug
Prof.Nekko
Malahite
Malhavoc Shade
Shadeofheave
CauldronBorn24
moonlight-pendent13
JonathanS223
Cowrie
kaitheguy1234
EdgedWeapon
Pendragon
ravaging vixen
gwadahunter2222
Jætte_Troll
Kai Leingod
Salvyrn
timing2
aethernavale
Oldman40k2003
dragonjaj
sparkythechu
MrNobody13
AisuKaiko
Slimetoad
Grave
Archmage_Bael
itsmeyouidiot
codaman
Feadraug
TheLightLost
rcs619
ZionAtriedes
DaNoob13
Shady Knight
Karbo
Anime-Junkie
Jasconius
69 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

General Q and A - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 10:28 am

Well parts of the city is like an old west town, the law there is your own weapon.

In the richer parts of Negav and the parts where trade occurs I imagine that there would be private police forces funded by the rich inhabitants or the traders unions.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 11:09 am

Quick querie about the Isolon Eye, while we're in that ballpark. The discomfort it causes, is it physical, or mental? Like... if a harpy flies into the radius, will it feel pain on its body, or will it simply feel uneasy and uncomfortable?
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 11:24 am

It's only mental, but it's so forceful it becomes physical ( it won't leave any scar visible from the outside though )

Let's imagine for example a strange situation with a pred temporarily immune from the eyes. If they are brought close to the eyes and suddenly that immunity was entirely removed for whatever reason, the pred would suffer great pain and die from the shock in most of the cases. Crisis once went to the Isolon eye zone and she just coudn't enter it more than a few meters.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
timing2
timing2

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 11:39 am

Grave wrote:
I can't find much in the wiki about Negav law and law enforcement....just the note that crime rate is high and the "Blinded" mark for criminals.

Is there any scale of punishment to be found anywhere? Who actually enforces the law in Negav? The magiocrats? Are there guards posted around the city? I assume the upper city is much more protected from criminals than the lower. Also are there trials? Who decides the guilt of an individual?
There are guards and there is a standing police force (more than one, in fact). I've spoken to Karbo a little about this regarding a character of mine in an upcoming story. I was wondering about how magic-based crime would be handled. At any rate, it's not developed yet, which is why you do not see much in the wiki. I’m sure some of this is subject to change…

Negav is a harsh city. Crime is a way of life in some parts of it. People who live in these parts have to be on constant guard, much as they would out in the jungle. Newcomers are often taken advantage of if they think just because Negav is safe from giant predators that protection extends to being safe from a different kind of predator - criminals. Murder is not unheard of. People “disappear” all the time when they travel out of the city, so who is to notice a few that disappear before they make it through the gates?

In more well-to-do parts, crime is less of a problem or no problem at all. Or the type of crime shifts from being a personal safety concern to a more monetary/status/influence one – the kind involving political/power struggles. Private security is the name of the game and mercenaries or guards-for-hire are prevalent.

Bribery, corruption, a large black market, thriving underground, thieves/pickpockets a plenty, thugs, con men, shady merchants, unscrupulous "guides," and more are all present in the city. The police tend to go after the high profile crimes. The small stuff falls through the cracks. But what is small and what is not depends on many things, and the successful criminals in Negav are very good at staying beneath official notice. The police themselves are not above reproach - bribery is alive and well, depending on the nature of the crime. Wink

The magiocrats are probably too far above the common folk to be bothered with everyday crime, however it would be possible for certain crimes to come under their notice. Criminals who commit such crimes would not last long, however.

Is there a codified law system in place? I don’t know. There might but, but if such exists, it sounds to me as if the enforcement depends on the status of the victim. If it is a newcomer or someone with little influence, the police are not going to expend much effort in the investigation (assuming there is even one). If someone of significant status or more well-to-do is the victim, then there might be more direct involvement – there could also be involvement of private investigators and/or hired thugs to deal with crimes that aren’t reported to the police. Not everyone wants the authorities looking into their business. I have no idea if a sophisticated court system is present in the city. There very well could be. And I’m almost certain they would have something in place for “very important people” who cross the line and need to be dealt with.
Back to top Go down
http://timing2.deviantart.com
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 11:41 am

About free-roaming Dryads, the wiki says that some do have legs, but how does it work? Is it like shedding their trunk to reveal a pair of legs or is it roots taking the shape of legs? If it's the former, how do their legs revert back to a trunk, and if the latter, how does the trunk remain unnoticed when it should be like two trunks connecting to the same pelvis?
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 8:17 am

I assumed that if they had legs, they had only during their youth when they would be more active and searching for a good place to settle down, after which their legs would become more trunk/root like.

For the Isolon eye, would a creature such as a tonorion (which are highly magic resistant) be heavily affected by it?
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 4:57 pm

A thought occured. Housecats generally fight each other for just meeting. Do Neko tribes, especially nomadic tribes, tend to engage in skirmishes if they ever happen to cross path?
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 5:27 pm

I'd imagine they'd roll across the dirt and grass adorably scratching anything/one that gets in their way.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 5:37 pm

Jasconius wrote:
I assumed that if they had legs, they had only during their youth when they would be more active and searching for a good place to settle down, after which their legs would become more trunk/root like.

For the Isolon eye, would a creature such as a tonorion (which are highly magic resistant) be heavily affected by it?

Tonorions aren't native to the Negav area though.

Not sure if it would work on them. I think The Eye is some wierd kind of magic all on its own, so not sure its limitations.

Not a huge deal if it doesn't. That's what the cannons, missile launchers and various other anti-vehicle/armor/pred weapons are for. It would be ripped to pieces as soon as it poked out into the open.

If it got too close, they'd just close the emergency doors over the city entryways and bring in people to snipe it down from the walls. Tonorions aren't too big of a deal. They aren't all that big. Negav is loaded for bear to rip apart things more than twice their size.
Back to top Go down
dragonjaj
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
dragonjaj

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 5:40 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
I'd imagine they'd roll across the dirt and grass adorably scratching anything/one that gets in their way.

Not all cats are like that id think the vilage baced nekos would by faster to fight then nomadit one do to cat fight over teartory and food.

Mentle image of to f50 foot cat girs fighting over a mut girl lol
Back to top Go down
http://dragonjaj.deviantart.com/
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 5:48 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
A thought occured. Housecats generally fight each other for just meeting. Do Neko tribes, especially nomadic tribes, tend to engage in skirmishes if they ever happen to cross path?

Hmmmm. That brings an interesting question to mind.

Wait, no, I shouldn't...

But I want to...

I can't.... argh!

Do the Inus sniff each other's butts? There I said it.
Back to top Go down
dragonjaj
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
dragonjaj

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 5:52 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing its hot and wrong all at once
Back to top Go down
http://dragonjaj.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Massive cat fight fest, yo!

Phantom Elf question: The wiki says they have glowing eyes. Do their eyes glow only in the dark so they can see clearly and turn normal if they moved out of Sunfall Thicket to a place where sunlight is better, or would they still glow in a sunny area? Speaking of sunny areas, are Phantom Elves light sensible? By that, I mean that if they entered a sunny area, they'd be blinded.
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 8:52 pm

Not so important question...

Has anyone considered the Bermuda Triangle to be Earth's own dimensionally unstable zone, perhaps the only fixed zone leading to Felarya? I wonder if some WWII pilots might find themselves in Felarya. Or a Disney cruise ship even, lol.

Some little kid cries, "Mommy why is Ariel eating Mickey?"

That would be hillarious, lol

...until the little kid gets eaten.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot the rules and posted a question over someone else's question. Please answer Sean's inquiry somebody.

Last edited by gt500x on Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Grave
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle
Grave

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 9:08 pm

gt500x wrote:

Pardon me, I don't follow you.... why does it stop being hilarious?
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 3:56 am

Grave wrote:
gt500x wrote:

Pardon me, I don't follow you.... why does it stop being hilarious?

that's...messed up xD

Sean Okotami wrote:
Phantom Elf question: The wiki says they have glowing eyes. Do their eyes glow only in the dark so they can see clearly and turn normal if they moved out of Sunfall Thicket to a place where sunlight is better, or would they still glow in a sunny area? Speaking of sunny areas, are Phantom Elves light sensible? By that, I mean that if they entered a sunny area, they'd be blinded.

I just got reminded of Alma from F.E.A.R.

-as for the question? It's probably relative to adrenaline/fear in some kind of way. That's just an assumption though.
Back to top Go down
MrNobody13
Great warrior
Great warrior
MrNobody13

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 8:42 am

*Took artistic license for vines*

Last edited by MrNobody13 on Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 9:36 am

gt500x wrote:

Has anyone considered the Bermuda Triangle to be Earth's own dimensionally unstable zone, perhaps the only fixed zone leading to Felarya? I wonder if some WWII pilots might find themselves in Felarya. Or a Disney cruise ship even, lol.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot the rules and posted a question over someone else's question. Please answer Sean's inquiry somebody.

In general, a lot of people try to avoid directly connecting Earth. Most people just use that to bring in their own self-inserts.

Unlike the Deluran and Miritan homeworlds, and the dozens of worlds that trade with Negav, Earth has no connection to Felarya at the moment. At least in the canon. There are plenty of mary-sues and self-inserts that trickle in from Earth in the non-canon stuff though.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 1:11 pm

Jasconius wrote:

Yep Tonorions won't come close to Negav ^^
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 1:46 pm

rcs619 wrote:
gt500x wrote:

In general, a lot of people try to avoid directly connecting Earth. Most people just use that to bring in their own self-inserts.

Unlike the Deluran and Miritan homeworlds, and the dozens of worlds that trade with Negav, Earth has no connection to Felarya at the moment. At least in the canon. There are plenty of mary-sues and self-inserts that trickle in from Earth in the non-canon stuff though.

Curious thing, I have a parody story on a hiatus with that. Of course, it's parody and nowhere canon, but still...

It's a good point you bring here: we all know what we think of self-inserts, Mary Sues and Gary Stus around here. Avoiding direct contact with Earth - or at least our Earth - is good. Sure, you can have exceptions to the rule - one of my characters counts as that, but he isn't from this Earth -, but not as the general thing.
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 1:57 pm

Quote :
It's a good point you bring here: we all know what we think of self-inserts, Mary Sues and Gary Stus around here. Avoiding direct contact with Earth - or at least our Earth - is good. Sure, you can have exceptions to the rule - one of my characters counts as that, but he isn't from this Earth -, but not as the general thing.
You could say some of mine aren't either, just an alternate one that's very similar.
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 2:00 pm

As long as we avoid Mary Sues and the like... Anyway, now it's time for me to ask something:

How are things going for farmers in Felarya? I know it's a kind of a savage world, but you can think of some cattle, vegetables and all, also thinking that cities like Negav need constant supplies in food and drink, so how does it work for them?
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 2:07 pm

Bael suggested something like vertical farms in Negav. I know Rin's Adventures mentioned the Miratans have farms around their base or something. My own Eddenians have farms too, but since they live in a domed city, they don't have to worry too much about outside hosilities.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 3:02 pm

Feadraug wrote:
As long as we avoid Mary Sues and the like... Anyway, now it's time for me to ask something:

How are things going for farmers in Felarya? I know it's a kind of a savage world, but you can think of some cattle, vegetables and all, also thinking that cities like Negav need constant supplies in food and drink, so how does it work for them?

Farming is very limited, to non-existant for the most part.

First of all, you could only really have a farm in a region that has been tamed/de-fanged/etc. There are only a small handful of those in known Felarya. Negav, Chiotia...and maybe medium-sized places like Safe Harbor and The Jungle Bowl.

The second issue is space. Any kind of decent-sized farm takes up a lot of space. Space is the main issue in Negav. They aren't going to let a farm take up space that could be used to build homes and businesses. The only real way to do it would be to build gardens and such on top of buildings. Maybe you could set up some farmland just at the edge of the walls, and keep under the protective zone of The Eye and the guns. Those are really the only options.

Negav imports nearly all of its food, building materials and essential supplies from off-world. Due to its stationary, fortress-like nature, it can't really gather them from the world around it safely. So, a portion of the massive profit from Ascarlin and rare-mineral mining is used to buy and import all the supplies the city needs. There are likely many off-world food traders that come there, lots of street vendors, and a lot of restaurants serving food from all over the muitiverse.

As for Chiotia, they have a tropical forest to their northeast where fruit can be gathered and game can be hunted. There is also Tolem Bay, which is teeming with fish of all kinds, and is nearly inaccessible to any ocean-going preds due to its stinging kelp. They would get most of their food from the bay or the forest...and probably trade for more exotic supplies when human ships come up along the Topazial islands to use their harbor.

Given their relationship with the local preds, it is likely that the predators could pay them for their services in fish and crustaceans as well. Chiotia most likely is not hurting for food and supplies, despite having no dimensional portals.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 8:51 pm

I don't think that Negav would be short of building materials. The Ascarlin mines are not solid Ascarlin, same with the diamond mines. There's going to be stone coming out of those mines that can be used for building.
I also believe that any metal veins found in those mountains are going to be mined too.

As for wood for building, I believe someone had suggested "wood mines." Well, what I propose is that there are wood mines in the trees upstream from negav. The lumber-miners would cut the wood out of the tree and send it floating down the river where it is collected under the protection of the guns and eye.

However advanced building materials are going to be imported.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Q and A
Page 6 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next