Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Felaryan slang

Go down 
+8
Archmage_Bael
Pendragon
Jætte_Troll
Karbo
Malahite
Anime-Junkie
Shady Knight
Reptillian
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Reptillian
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
Reptillian

Felaryan slang Empty
PostSubject: Felaryan slang   Felaryan slang Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 5:25 am

yeah, as the title says it's about how everyone speaks in felarya. for example: here on earth we we say things like "score", "jackpot", "nice" and so on, if something good happens, like finding a 100 dollars on the ground, getting a good hand in a card game or getting a good number with dices.

wouldn't felaryans have their own speech patterns like that? and would it differentiate between every race, location or simply size?

Last edited by Reptillian on Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://snicer.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Felaryan slang Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan slang   Felaryan slang Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 5:44 am

Maybe Felaryan natives since I expect people from other worlds to keep their own vernacular.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

Felaryan slang Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan slang   Felaryan slang Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 5:55 am

You mean "Slang."

Definition of Slang:

• Informal language consisting of words and expressions that are not considered appropriate for formal occasions; often vituperative or vulgar; "their speech was full of slang expressions"
  • abuse with coarse language
  • a characteristic language of a particular group

It would be interesting to hear Felaryan native slang.

Quote :
Maybe Felaryan natives since I expect people from other worlds to keep their own vernacular.
I agree that offworlders would keep their own slang.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Felaryan slang Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan slang   Felaryan slang Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 7:54 am

There'd be native "slang" and "slang" from peoples' homeworlds, if they aren't Felarya-born and raised. Which sorta goes back to a comment made in the language thread a while back: While everyone speaks the same on Felarya, there are still ways to get past the universal babelfish.

I imagine a few native phrases aren't going to be that much different for people than they are on Earth / typical fantasy worlds. However, there would probably be a bigger degree of variance between human(oid) slang, and (Giant) Predator slang (who I actually expect to be a bit more different).

The catch is that, well, you can't standardize. So, in regard to the OP question, yes it would vary. Probably barely at all in some instances (Nekomura Neko v Negav Neko), some cases excessively (an off-world Tiny-like person and an on-world Predator like Vivian).
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Felaryan slang Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan slang   Felaryan slang Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 8:29 am

There is some pattern like that yes ^^ the first that come to mind :

"No red tents here !" : no BS - used usually during a transaction when you want to reassure your partner.
"to offer flowers" to pay someone ( in reference to faldong gems' slighty flowery shape )
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Felaryan slang Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan slang   Felaryan slang Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 9:17 am

Okay, slightly off-topic, but it's been somewhat bothering me, would tents with a camo pattern, I think like military tents, stand a better chance than the bright colored ones used for camping?
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

Felaryan slang Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan slang   Felaryan slang Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 10:56 am

Erm, I would expect so. Try looking for something that is bright red in a sea of green, then try looking for something green in a sea of green. I think you'll notice a slight difference.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

Felaryan slang Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan slang   Felaryan slang Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 11:15 am

Yeah, Felarya should have a wide variety of different slangs, both for the smaller and larger populations, but for some reason I can't think of any off the top of my head.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Felaryan slang Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan slang   Felaryan slang Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 11:19 am

Yes, probably, since military products are typically camouflaged.

Also, the phrase "okay" or "ok" would probably not exist there, since it was originally slang for two words derived from latin, when translated meant "all correct" or something, and "ok" was the abbreviation of those latin words. (the earliest known usage back in 18-something in an american newspaper)

It wasn't later until it was recognized as a proper word.

I can imagine other phrases like "by the guardians" when in a particular context can mean something of amazement or shock.

"crak!" a random thing Icame up with that could mean a victory of some kind in a pub game.(in all honesty it probably already is. i suck at word generating im better at names.)

"bust" would probably be the same, when you loose something ("bomb" probably wouldn't exist much).

As for other swear words and profanity, we'd need to identify language, and im no linguist so I cant come up with anything of particular meaning unless I just form random letters.

Our best bet would probably make the words sound a bit harsh.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

Felaryan slang Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan slang   Felaryan slang Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 11:32 am

Hmm, here's some lame ones off the top of my head. For smaller species.

"Squirrel" - 'A Squirrel' is a term used to refer to an individual of doubtful trustworthiness. Also to denote a general sense of sketchiness. (i.e. - 'That priest is such a squirrel.' 'Lesona is up to something squirrelly.')

"Quaz" - A mildly blasphemous expletive. Similar to shouting "hell" or "damn." (i.e. "Oh Quaz it's a fairy!")

"A Naga's Chest" - Refers to something enticing, but probably dangerous. Common rumour attributes its spread due to a certain naga living at the Chordoni Falls. (i.e. - 'This deal sounds like a Naga's Chest)

"Fae" - Crude term in Negav to refer to a ruthless, manipulative woman. Similar to earth term "bitch".

"Flizz" - Word of unknown origin. Used as a derogatory word for a mage. Commonly used by Vishmital soldiers. (i.e. - "Me and the boys ran into a bunch of Flizz at the bar, knocked their heads together good!)

Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Felaryan slang Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan slang   Felaryan slang Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 11:49 am

and the mage says "we ran into a bunch of FUZZ at the door, knocked their heads together good!" Evil laugh

(also, if Quaz is "damn" does that make Nemyra "fuck"? angel )

"mat" could refer to someone dense or shallow (i.e. "she's such a mat!")

(some words like "fruit" "fuck" "hell" could be the same because the concepts also go with felarya as well)

Back to top Go down
EdgedWeapon
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
EdgedWeapon

Felaryan slang Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan slang   Felaryan slang Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 1:40 pm

I've got one. "He/she/they've got us by the wings" or some other phrase involving the gripping of wings. It refers to one party holding another party in a delicate position.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Felaryan slang Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan slang   Felaryan slang Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 6:07 pm

"Negav's walls..." A phrase / slang used predominantly by those unfamiliar with "mega"cities who've seen Negav. The phrase represents a great sense of awe. Minimally used by Giant Predators.

"More rooted than the Jungle." Often said under one's breath, this idiom is often said about an individual who is absolutely entrenched in their mindset. Usually negative, though occasionally positive.

"The Neko or the Neera." Two mutually exclusive options, rumored to have started when a politician was forced to decide between appeasing the local Neera or local Neko settlements in a dispute. As with "Negav's walls...", the phrase is minimally used between Giant Predators.
Back to top Go down
Militant-Prey
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Militant-Prey

Felaryan slang Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan slang   Felaryan slang Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 9:10 pm

"Appease a mage."-bribe an official, who may or may not be a mage. But, in Negav, the Magiocracy has governed so long that magic users and government officials are generally seen as two sides of the same coin.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Felaryan slang Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan slang   Felaryan slang Icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 1:46 am

"something squirelly" .. aww that one is cute XD
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

Felaryan slang Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan slang   Felaryan slang Icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 9:09 am

"A king amongst Kenshas." - refer to someone as a leader of brutes or troublemakers.

"More fairy than fair." - refer to a seemingly innocent person as being a trickster.

"To crack the Torkudas' shell." - to attempt an impossible task.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Felaryan slang Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan slang   Felaryan slang Icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 4:27 pm

"Son of a <predator>!" I don't know which. Which one should it be?

"Proud like an Elf."
Back to top Go down
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

Felaryan slang Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan slang   Felaryan slang Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2010 5:03 am

I could see "Glouteaux" or simply "Glout" when you want to refer to someone as being particularly stupid of irresponsible. Or both
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Felaryan slang Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan slang   Felaryan slang Icon_minitimeSun Dec 26, 2010 3:26 am

Jasconius wrote:

"More fairy than fair." .

Mhh I like this one a lot ^^
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Felaryan slang Empty
PostSubject: Felaryan Idioms and Slangs   Felaryan slang Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 6:30 am

I'm positive that a thread like that was made about maybe a year ago, but I can't find it. Oh well. If any mod out there can find it, feel free to merge the two.

In the meantime, Felarya would most likely have its own share of slangs and idioms, both predators and preys alike. What do you think would be a good Felarya idiom? Make sure you specify in brackets what it means and what species primarily uses it.

Example: "She's rather green around the gills." (Mermaid idiom meaning someone is not feeling well.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Felaryan slang Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan slang   Felaryan slang Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Felaryan slang
Page 1 of 1