Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Felarya/Negav Calendar

Go down 
+16
Darkstorm Zero
luke112
Anime-Junkie
TheLightLost
timing2
Nyaha
AisuKaiko
Archmage_Bael
Karbo
Pendragon
ravaging vixen
ZionAtriedes
Shady Knight
rcs619
Jætte_Troll
Krisexy26
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Felarya/Negav Calendar - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya/Negav Calendar   Felarya/Negav Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 12:32 pm

I'd like to ask, can we start the Felaryan year in the middle of summer? ^.^
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Felarya/Negav Calendar   Felarya/Negav Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 3:49 pm

Nyaha, Felarya doesn't have real seasons.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: Felarya/Negav Calendar   Felarya/Negav Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 3:50 pm

ask rcs he seems to know much more than any of us Smile
Back to top Go down
http://krisexy26.deviantart.com/
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: Felarya/Negav Calendar   Felarya/Negav Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 3:54 pm

Krisexy26 wrote:
ask rcs he seems to know much more than any of us Smile
Kris, that's a little over the line, don't you think? Practically trolling.
Back to top Go down
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: Felarya/Negav Calendar   Felarya/Negav Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 5:53 pm

mh we could say that a bit yes. personally, ive seen worse than this obvious sarcasm
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: Felarya/Negav Calendar   Felarya/Negav Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 8:53 pm

I don't think there is any need for sarcasm, taunting, or "almost trolling".
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: Felarya/Negav Calendar   Felarya/Negav Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 3:34 am

ah i agree with you oldman...but it seems that this thread led us there so why not add to the party :/
Back to top Go down
asaenvolk
Marauder of the deep jungle
asaenvolk

PostSubject: Re: Felarya/Negav Calendar   Felarya/Negav Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 2:04 pm

The 7 days a week, 12 hours in a day, 60 min in an hour, 60 seconds in a min were just chosen at random, they were because numerology (notice I didn't say math). But for hours it basically comes to this, 12 is more easily expressed in fractions that 10, that's it. one half of 12 is 6, and half of that is 3, or one third of 12 is 4 and half of that is 2, you get the idea.

Still despite that most human number systems are biased on the number 10, but base 5 and base 20 have also been used in real life.
Back to top Go down
http://asaenvolk.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Felarya/Negav Calendar   Felarya/Negav Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 3:22 pm

12 hours in a day? I thought we had 24 hours.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Grave
Grave

PostSubject: Re: Felarya/Negav Calendar   Felarya/Negav Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 3:45 pm

Felarya needs a groundhog day. Except we can call it Katrika day. If the Katrika comes out and is scared of me projecting a shadow of what appears to be a Harpy with my hands, then we will have 6 more weeks of evil shenanigans.
Back to top Go down
Zoekin-3
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Zoekin-3

PostSubject: Re: Felarya/Negav Calendar   Felarya/Negav Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 5:16 pm

Grave wrote:
Felarya needs a groundhog day. Except we can call it Katrika day. If the Katrika comes out and is scared of me projecting a shadow of what appears to be a Harpy with my hands, then we will have 6 more weeks of evil shenanigans.

^_^ Awww the poor dear.
Back to top Go down
http://zoekin-3.deviantart.com/
asaenvolk
asaenvolk

PostSubject: Re: Felarya/Negav Calendar   Felarya/Negav Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 6:01 pm

er I meant in half a day, my bad.
Back to top Go down
http://asaenvolk.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felarya/Negav Calendar   Felarya/Negav Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2011 3:15 pm

I've been thinking about this lately, and for some reason my brain just did a "wtf moment".

Basically the problem with the Felaryan calendar is with the whole "year" issue. Since Felarya borrows its sun and doesn't revolve around one, it is impossible to conveniently make a calendar year based off the number of days. You could say "the year has 10 seasons" but all those seasons would be different, and all the days have different lengths (one might be 24 hours long, another day might be 27 hours long) which would make each week longer or shorter than the next, same for each month, which would mean that a particular year might be 500 hours shorter than the year before it.

One reason to having a year is because the minutes, hours, days, weeks and months are consistent. You can expect a year to have a set number of hours on earth. That's not true in Felarya. Scheduling something by the year would be chaos, because they wouldn't just be 500 hours, apart but 432 days with hours of difference between each month means that some years might have 1000 hours more than the other! which, if a day is about 26 hours on avg in felarya (or whatever the real average is) makes about 40 days fit into 1000 hours which means one year would technically be 472 days and not 432 days.

Instead, Felaryans probably don't have years, but judge time by the season instead, or by the month. Each month can still be named, and one person would probably have their felaryan age measured by the number of months they've lived through. The other problem to this is we aren't used to measuring something like this, and have no sense of scale toward it. If there's no year, then how are you supposed to know how old they are year wise? It's somewhat confusing at first, but native Felaryans might use this more, because judging by the season/month is far easier and reliant/consistent.

Of course that means a 18 earth years is 216 months old, and so someone in felarya would have to be 216 months old to be considered adult. So yeah it's slightly confusing at first, but the math is simple. I imagine there would be eras and dynasties though (dynasties for ur-sagol and the serrakmos line, eras for Negav).

Also this means that people in felarya have more frequent birthday parties. And Cake.

edit: age is so vague in felarya because people aren't limited to about 100 years of life, so going by a high number of months, or saying that you've lived through such and such dynasty or ear would really give the sense of being wisened and beautiful Razz
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felarya/Negav Calendar   Felarya/Negav Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 11:55 am

I need to bring this thread back up for a question regarding a little idea of mine:

Would the sun be in a specific position relative to the cycle/month? Or would it have a specific cycle at all? Would the Felarya's sky emulate that?

That question might go in General Q&A, but I've been thinking about sky-related ideas and time frames and such.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Felarya/Negav Calendar   Felarya/Negav Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Felarya/Negav Calendar
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4