Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General Q and A

Go down 
+75
Darth_Nergal
Emerald Electronic
Oldman40k2003
Venom Agato
vore4life99
DaNoob13
DarkOne
Ilceren
McKindle
2Ron2R
AzureJass
HeavenlessStar
Boris92
Malahite
hhhat09
FalconJudge
jedi-explorer
EvilGenius
parameciumkid
Paltiel
Greyman
timing2
Rezec
/Fish/
Tango
Beefnautz
Pendragon
sadisticnerd
Axel Hunter
Archmage_Bael
MrNobody13
Darkstorm Zero
Black Aquila
ZionAtriedes
Iavlas
Silent_eric
TryMeIke
French snack
Saironthis
walkingbyself
Black Hole Fragment
Primeval Hunter
Nyaha
Krisexy26
gwadahunter2222
Vaderaz
zersergathant
TheArchvile
TheLightLost
AisuKaiko
itsmeyouidiot
CauldronBorn24
Slimetoad
Feadraug
Amaroq
macdaddy
The Ultimate
Claire
sparkythechu
Pim18
Jasconius
kikijonson
Anime-Junkie
luke112
aethernavale
Shady Knight
buddha66667
Prof.Nekko
Karbo
Jætte_Troll
Solomon
Sehoolighan
Grave
rcs619
Stabs
79 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

General Q and A - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 1:47 pm

The reason I didn't bother reading is because you put so much text that you could summarize in two or three short paragraphs. Trying to understand what your point is is an acheivement given that you clutter it with so many words, when you could go straight to the point. Now, I ask you, what is your point about a Nemesis in a single sentence?

Here are what I think: The whole "appetite" corollary is absolutely ridiculous and such an absurdly situational corollary that it's worthless. A dridder from the motamo docks can enter the eye's field, and in fact, LIVE in the eye's field, when they are capable of eating an entire human being. Same as nagas.

If your point is about Nemesises being able to project themselves in a person's dream where they appear giant, thus would be the same as being a physical giant, then the problem is that there is simply not enough information about this ability in the wiki. It doesn't specify if it's an actual astral projection. If it was the case, then the actual Nemesis would be immobile, and once the mark wakes up, she wouldn't be able to track it down. If it is an effect of the dream tracking, then the Isolon Eye should have no effect since it is more akin to a spell.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 2:36 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
The reason I didn't bother reading is because you put so much text that you could summarize in two or three short paragraphs. Trying to understand what your point is is an acheivement given that you clutter it with so many words, when you could go straight to the point. Now, I ask you, what is your point about a Nemesis in a single sentence?
It's still insulting to the writer. I didn't find what he wrote to be too long. Sean, they couldn;'t be summarized, it would leave out a lot of information and cause people to ask more questions later. This is evident because you end up asking those questions. Why? Because you don't read things properly.

Sean Okotami wrote:
Here are what I think: The whole "appetite" corollary is absolutely ridiculous and such an absurdly situational corollary that it's worthless. A dridder from the motamo docks can enter the eye's field, and in fact, LIVE in the eye's field, when they are capable of eating an entire human being. Same as nagas.
And? In that case it depends on the individual. The are capable of it, but if they are not "voracious" (ie; not inclined to eat humans) then the eye won't effect them.
In any case, since the eye also goes by size, I'd say it wouldn't effect something that small that wasn't in the "black list" (that is, things that the eye effects no matter what size they are).
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Solomon
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 2:45 pm

say is it a good idea to ask Felarya writers if it's okay to use their characters in a Felarya story or in an OC bio Question
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 2:50 pm

Solomon, it's not just a "good idea." You are required to ask people before you use their characters.
(The only exception is zoekin, who made a public statement that it's ok for people to use his characters without asking.)
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 4:07 pm

Karbo wrote:
If they don't have wings, then it's pretty likely they don't have much fairy powers as well as it's *usually* stored there.
The fact an hybrid would have no wings is mostly a general tendencies, not an absolute rule, though.

As for a wingless hybrid, well as long as they don't enjoy humans as prey, I don't think they would have any problem to enter Negav. And they would pretty hard to detect as well ^^

Alrighty, that works then. I think your idea for human/fairy crossbreeds is fair enough though, and makes sense.

I know there aren't going to be exact rules, but it seems like they would fall into two categories most of the time.
- Wingless crossbreeds: These look nearly human (maybe their ears could be slightly pointed? Or some other small trait that hints that they are not 100% human). They lack fairy size-shifting magic, but because of their Fairy parent, they are extremely skilled mages, who learn quicker and are generally more powerful than the average human mage.

- Winged crossbreeds: These take more after their fairy parent. They actually have wings, and may, or may not have Fairy size-magic.

Does this seem about right?

Also, since this has been opened, what is your stance on a human breeding with a Neko or an Inu?

Non-mammalian species (Nagas, Mermaids, Dridders), except for Harpies, are still impossible for humans to breed with, right? I just want to be sure we're all on the same page ^^

Quote :
Wouldn't the identification spells around the walls, well, identify them as fairy hybrids?

I doubt it. Honestly, as long as its wingless, and has no size-magic, there's no harm in them being able to get into Negav. They still shouldn't go around telling people about their parents though, that would probably be pretty unhealthy.
Back to top Go down
zersergathant
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
zersergathant

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 7:17 pm

I've got a bit less fantastical of a question. Just a thought that popped into my head and struck me as interesting, plus I think it is a sort-of-important social quandary that I don't think has been acknowledged yet:

What would the overall stance on homosexuality be in Negev? I understand that different groups would have different ideas on this, but would it be accepted by the government, so to speak, of Negev? Would two people of such a persuasion have to hide their relationship, or could they be open about it without much fear of prejudice?
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 7:41 pm

zersergathant wrote:
I've got a bit less fantastical of a question. Just a thought that popped into my head and struck me as interesting, plus I think it is a sort-of-important social quandary that I don't think has been acknowledged yet:

What would the overall stance on homosexuality be in Negev? I understand that different groups would have different ideas on this, but would it be accepted by the government, so to speak, of Negev? Would two people of such a persuasion have to hide their relationship, or could they be open about it without much fear of prejudice?

Hmmm, that is actually an interesting question.

Some of the main reasons it is so taboo here in the US (since that is the only country I have experience with), is because people either think its wierd/gross, or take very hardline religious views on the matter (homoexuality is a sin, etc, etc).

When you look at Negav, a lot of that is not relavent anymore. They live in a world of giant, man-eating animal-people, magic, alchemy and so on. Their view of what is "wierd" and outside the norm is going to be very different. Likewise, I don't think organized religion is very present there. There are groups like the Olthamites (spelling?), but there aren't massive super-religions that control huge chunks of the population. People would belong to one of the likely many religions that have popped up in Negav, or have no religion at all.

Let's see...within Negav, you have two main groups.
- Natives: These people actually live permanently in Negav. A lot have been in Felarya for many years, if not their whole lives. One of the big principles of Negav is of humans united against a world that could kill them all. I just don't think they'd care who sleeps with who (Individuals will always vary, of course). I think the topic of inter-species relations would be a more relavent and potentially controversial subject, given that part of the population either does not like, or does not trust demi-humans.

- Offworlders: These would be a total mixed-bag. You have adventurers, entrepeneurs, businessmen and mercenaries from a dozen different worlds. Their religious, political, and moral views are going to be all over the place, and really depend on the person, and what kind of civilization they are originally from.

Of course, these are just my thoughts. I can't really give you any official, canon answers, since there really aren't any for this topic yet.

Definately an interesting question though. Just goes to show that there is always something new and interesting to potentially discuss in the setting.
Back to top Go down
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 10:48 pm

aethernavale wrote:

Then our defense falls upon Negavian force encounters and the identification wards/sensor nets.

I would imagine the basic focus of the identification wards is to just pinpoint sources of intense power or anomalies with creatures passing by them. There needs to be a lower threshold though - you don't want the Isolon Fist responding every time some human with a need to stay hidden is using some less-than-well-received magical portent to hide his/her identity. Likewise, the extent of the ability of the Vish forces to register magical means is also not known.

That's a niche the ISD would fill specifically.
Back to top Go down
Vaderaz
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
Vaderaz

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 3:22 am

rcs619 wrote:
- Wingless crossbreeds: These look nearly human (maybe their ears could be slightly pointed? Or some other small trait that hints that they are not 100% human). They lack fairy size-shifting magic, but because of their Fairy parent, they are extremely skilled mages, who learn quicker and are generally more powerful than the average human mage.

- Winged crossbreeds: These take more after their fairy parent. They actually have wings, and may, or may not have Fairy size-magic.

Wait wait wait
Concerning the crossbreed between fairies and humans, there is a little problem.
If the mother is the fairy ... wich size is going to be the child? Since it is said that they probably won't have size-shifting magic, if the fairy is in a size other than human, the child will be too, making a permanent giant or tiny. (and this works for full fairies too, for the period the child isn't be able to use shifting magic)
---
Now, another question that might be important too (i'm not sure if it has been stated already, I've the feeling that yes, but in the doubt I will ask anyways), are those crossbred sterils?
Back to top Go down
http://vaderaz.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 4:04 am

Quote :
Wait wait wait
Concerning the crossbreed between fairies and humans, there is a little problem.
If the mother is the fairy ... wich size is going to be the child? Since it is said that they probably won't have size-shifting magic, if the fairy is in a size other than human, the child will be too, making a permanent giant or tiny. (and this works for full fairies too, for the period the child isn't be able to use shifting magic)

That is something the parents will have to decide. Since the other parent is human, I imagine the Fairy will probably have the child at human-size. That way, the human parent can actually be part of raising the kid. Keep in mind, when the Fairy changes sizes, so does anything inside of her. If the kid's mother is a fairy, she can choose the size of the child. If the child's father is a fairy, then the kid has no choice but to be human-sized since its mother is human.

Just depends on the parents and the situation.
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 9:56 am

I was thinking of something like that too, being it a decission of the parents. Still, the concept could turn into something interesting... I'm only hoping the Felaryan fandom doesn't end overpopulated by human-fairy hybrids. xD
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Vaderaz
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
Vaderaz

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 10:49 am

Well then they better be really careful if they want to have several childrens, cause I can see really weird brother relationships coming... xD
Back to top Go down
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior
Amaroq

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 1:21 pm

Why do kensha beasts (giant wolves I suppose) happen to have 6 legs? it doesn't make sense to me. where is the advantage? All these legs would get in the way while running or something like that.
Back to top Go down
http://xxamaroqxx.deviantart.com
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 1:33 pm

I think it's esthetic to enforce they're different from Earth wolves.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 1:35 pm

Amaroq wrote:
Why do kensha beasts (giant wolves I suppose) happen to have 6 legs? it doesn't make sense to me. where is the advantage? All these legs would get in the way while running or something like that.

This is a common misconception.

They aren't giant wolves. I believe randomdude described them as more "jackal-like" in his stories. They're giant, canine-like creatures, and when people think giant canines, they tend to simplify it down to "giant wolves".

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/045/e/e/kensha_beast_sketch_by_tangofox-d38n58f.png

This is probably the best drawing of a Kensha we have so far.

The main advantage is that the legs support a Kensha's primary weapon, the venom that is secreted from its claws. That venom is the reason they're so dangerous, even to the giant hybrids. Kensha beasts are only 40ft tall at the shoulder. Against bigger creatures, they likely use hit and run attacks...darting in to get in a few claw strikes, and them moving out of range again. The amount of venom in the target increases with each attack, and eventually it goes down.

More legs = more claws = more venom delivered per attack

Also, it isn't like they would need to be able to run super fast. They live in a forest. No predator can reach full speed because of the trees, bushes, fallen trees, and other rough terrain.They'd be more than fast enough to outrun a giant hybrid, or whatever else they're hunting. Besides, they're pack hunters. Herding the prey to the other pack members and surrounding it is far more important than being able to chase something down with pure speed. A few claw swipes, and the prey item is going to be weakened and sluggish from the venom as well.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 1:54 pm

rcs619 wrote:

They aren't giant wolves. I believe randomdude described them as more "jackal-like" in his stories. They're giant, canine-like creatures, and when people think giant canines, they tend to simplify it down to "giant wolves"
It's not a misconception but clearly stated in their description they as six-legged wolves as you can see here
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 2:16 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
rcs619 wrote:

They aren't giant wolves. I believe randomdude described them as more "jackal-like" in his stories. They're giant, canine-like creatures, and when people think giant canines, they tend to simplify it down to "giant wolves"
It's not a misconception but clearly stated in their description they as six-legged wolves as you can see here

I think that is more because the entry is years old.

Calling them "giant canines" would be more accurate. They are only similar to wolves because they are dogs, and live in packs (which many dogs do). Their appearance, venom and hunting tactics aren't really that wolf-like.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 2:34 pm

rcs619 wrote:

Calling them "giant canines" would be more accurate. They are only similar to wolves because they are dogs, and live in packs (which many dogs do). Their appearance, venom and hunting tactics aren't really that wolf-like.
You know the Egyptian jackal was thought to be subspecie of the golden jackal until lately( February of this year) it has been proven it belongs to the grey wolf specie. It's the only African wolf. The kensha beast can be a wolf with jackal-like behaviour.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 2:54 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
rcs619 wrote:

You know the Egyptian jackal was thought to be subspecie of the golden jackal until lately( February of this year) it has been proven it belongs to the grey wolf specie. It's the only African wolf. The kensha beast can be a wolf with jackal-like behaviour.

There is the Ethiopian Wolf, but that isn't relavent to the discussion.

I imagine a lot of this is from just not seeing Kenshas in action a lot. There's probably quite a few ways to make them something other than "just giant wolves". In the end though, its Randomdude's idea, so he'd have to be the one to do it.
Back to top Go down
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior
Amaroq

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 3:22 pm

Let's just agree with "It looks like a canine". ;-P
Back to top Go down
http://xxamaroqxx.deviantart.com
Vaderaz
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
Vaderaz

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 3:40 pm

From what I read here it looks like there is only one kind of kensha beast, but can't there be different subspecies?
If the idea wasn't mentioned, I think it might be an interesting one, many possibilities there.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 3:47 pm

rcs619 wrote:
There is the Ethiopian Wolf, but that isn't relavent to the discussion.
It doesn't belong to canis lupus family contrary to the Egyptian jackal who is a subspecie of grey wolf but indeed it's not relevant to this discussion

rcs619 wrote:
I imagine a lot of this is from just not seeing Kenshas in action a lot. There's probably quite a few ways to make them something other than "just giant wolves". In the end though, its Randomdude's idea, so he'd have to be the one to do it.
It's funny because before you claimed it was more a jackal like creature than a wolf I show you there is indeed a wolf that's look like a jackal now it's now the original creator to decide. You start to do some progress ,it's good

Amaroq wrote:
Let's just agree with "It looks like a canine". ;-P
I don't care but this affirmation the kensha beast is not a wolf but a jackal was launched only people doesn't like wolf and claimed the original entry was an old one and need to be rewritten just because they dislike it.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 3:48 pm

Yep, there's already a thread on it Vaderaz: Kensha Beast Subspecies and Relatives.

I believe that Rezec came up with a kensha relative on his idea thread.

Gwada and cliff, your discussion should be taken to it's own thread.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 3:55 pm

Quote :
I don't care but this affirmation the kensha beast is not a wolf but a jackal was launched only people doesn't like wolf and claimed the original entry was an old one and need to be rewritten just because they dislike it.

Don't start accusing me of things I didn't do. I've been in a good mood lately, and don't need a confrontation.

I never said the "entry should be rewritten", I just stated that it was YEARS old, and could potentially be out of date, or worded oddly.

If any changes were to be made to the entry, you would HAVE to have Randomdude's permission and input, since it is his idea.

Quote :
From what I read here it looks like there is only one kind of kensha beast, but can't there be different subspecies?
If the idea wasn't mentioned, I think it might be an interesting one, many possibilities there.

I think the issue that comes up is Randomdude. He's largely absent from the community these days, and I don't think he even visits the forums. Whoever wanted to do that would probably need to talk to him over DA via notes.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 4:06 pm

Really, the best way to get the closest to what a Kensha looks like is to look at the example in the Manga, though that was not a very detailed look.

There it looked sort of like both a jackel and a wolf.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Q and A
Page 5 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next