Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb?

Go down 
+9
ZionAtriedes
Karbo
gwadahunter2222
Daimo
GREGOLE
Silent_eric
Shady Knight
Pendragon
servomoore
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb?   Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 11:56 am

Pendragon wrote:
If I recall, wasn't there a dridder queen of sorts who sought to conquer Felarya? She was evil, and it was so bad that the guardians had to stop her.

I'm pretty sure it can happen again.

And I think that some of the Guardians themselves are an absolute good, simply because they keep Felarya in balance. Even if a few people are screwed over, Felarya continues thriving.
It was the Nagas only and she's dead. Absolute evil and good is impossible as they are relative. Plus the guardians are just a vague background force, like the One-Above-All in Marvel. If they were the absolute good, there would be no people in Felarya. Why? Because every sentient beings have good and evil in themselves, thus absolute good is a total absence of sentience.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb?   Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 11:59 am

Regarding the high fantasy vs low fantasy debate, it's quite simple.

High fantasy and low fantasy aren't elements of a world, they're elements of a story. And different Felarya stories are closer to one or the other.

Crisis & Scarecrow was a distinctly high fantasy story.
The Man From Nowhere, however was closer to low fantasy.

Fantasy, more often than not, involves creating an entirely new world for yourself. Whether it's high or low depends on the standpoint.
If the characters are normal inhabitants, then it's likely to be high. But if the main character is from a familiar time and home plane - namely Earth - and the story progresses from their perspective, where Felarya is completely abnormal, then it could be considered low fantasy.

In short, Felarya's neither high nor low fantasy. It's simply a fantasy world, which includes fiction belonging to both the high and low fantasy categories.

Quote :
It was the Nagas only and she's dead. Absolute evil and good is impossible as they are relative. Plus the guardians are just a vague background force, like the One-Above-All in Marvel. If they were the absolute good, there would be no people in Felarya. Why? Because every sentient beings have good and evil in themselves, thus absolute good is a total absence of sentience.

But then, good is a purely manmade concept, so without sentience, absolute good cannot exist in the first place.

In other words, good and evil can't exist. Period.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb?   Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 12:01 pm

Still, I feel that Felarya is not just a low fantasy setting.

In low fantasy, magic is not a common thing about the world. In Felarya, this is untrue, since magic is EVERYWHERE. Thus you can see why I feel this way.

And don't tell me magic isn't present. You can't sneeze without a spell being cast.

Overall, I'd agree with Gregole up there.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb?   Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 12:06 pm

Quote :
Still, I feel that Felarya is not just a low fantasy setting.

In low fantasy, magic is not a common thing about the world. In Felarya, this is untrue, since magic is EVERYWHERE. Thus you can see why I feel this way.

And don't tell me magic isn't present. You can't sneeze without a spell being cast.

Overall, I'd agree with Gregole up there.

Once again, magic can be as common as a blade of grass in the fantasy world, yet it can still be told as a low fantasy story. Hell, the entire dimension can be MADE of magic, and it can be a low fantasy setting, simply due to the perspective.

I'll state again that a universe isn't inherently high or low fantasy setting.

Look at this dimension. To an otherworldly being, it would be akin to a high fantasy universe, yet if such a being were to find its way here, the story could easily be low fantasy.

Just the same, a being from this universe stumbling into Felarya could tell a low fantasy story if the focus was from their perspective.

Felarya includes both high and low fantasy stories because it includes countless different perspectives.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb?   Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 12:39 pm

I will be simple it's the question of characters developpment:
High fantasy: the good cliché of the good/evil things
Low fantasy:the world is not black on a side and withe to the other sides, it's shaded of grey
Nothing more.

Quote :
If I recall, wasn't there a dridder queen of sorts who sought to conquer Felarya? She was evil, and it was so bad that the guardians had to stop her.

I'm pretty sure it can happen again.

And I think that some of the Guardians themselves are an absolute good, simply because they keep Felarya in balance. Even if a few people are screwed over, Felarya continues thriving.

Regarding Nemyra and likely Quaz, you can guess why I said "some" of the guardians.
Do you know Sineria'story Question
And what do you know about the guardians Question
And another point a war is not a question of good and evil but a question of interest, ambition and ideals.
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb?   Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 1:28 pm

I guess it comes down to one's view of the situation.

I personally think that if you set out to conquer an entire world using brute and violent force (or an army of dridders), I consider that evil.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb?   Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 1:35 pm

Pendragon wrote:
I guess it comes down to one's view of the situation.

I personally think that if you set out to conquer an entire world using brute and violent force (or an army of dridders), I consider that evil.

From your point of view is evil, as it's said good and evil are just relative Wink
You know it's like that the great empire was created Very Happy
I recommend you to read the different histories of the different nations of the world, you will see none of them are purely good or evil Evil laugh
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb?   Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 1:41 pm

Oh, trust me. There were purely good wars and purely evil wars.

Not all of them were just "matters of interest", or should I bring up WW2?
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb?   Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 2:09 pm

Pendragon wrote:
Oh, trust me. There were purely good wars and purely evil wars.

Not all of them were just "matters of interest", or should I bring up WW2?
I will show you some reasons in the WW2:
1-1929, the financial crisis, many countries known an extreme poverty, the true reason of the WW2

2-Germany was forced to pay all the reparation after the WW1 and becomes very poor. It create a feeling of hate and discrimination in the germans because they were suffer the consequence of the choice of their previous leader.
This situation allows Hitler to have an influence on the population. You can't judge a whole people for the actions of their leaders, it's how the nazi was created.

3-Many nations started to close on themselves, they start to developp ideas of conquest and weapons.

There is other causes but I prefer to avoid

It was a matter of interest, why Germany was ally with Russia at the begining of the war and in the middle of the conflict, the Germans betrayed them.
Hittler goal was just to dominate the world no matter what it costs.

I recommend you to search all the true reasons why the WW2 Happens.

I will stop here.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb?   Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 5:08 pm

The population is not being accused of being evil. The point was that Hitler began the war and was in himself evil.

He was not misguided. He had no other intentions. His goal was to exterminate those who did not agree with him.

That is evil.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb?   Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 5:26 pm

Pendragon wrote:
The population is not being accused of being evil. The point was that Hitler began the war and was in himself evil.

He was not misguided. He had no other intentions. His goal was to exterminate those who did not agree with him.

That is evil.
Not from Hitler's point of view, he thought of doing the world a favor by doing this. The most common reason why evil is relative is often because when you do something largely considered evil, the one who did it didn't saw it as being evil.

If he did, he would just randomly destroy everything, including his own country with his own forces.

Basically, what Hitler did wasn't evil, it was just bad.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb?   Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 5:33 pm

Well, I guess that is an interesting point.

If I may ask then; what the hell is "true evil" then? Simply destroying everything cannot be true evil. It can only be "mindlessness".

To be honest (and sorry that I don't have any other reference to use) Final Fantasy is always considered high fantasy. Yet the villains always have a valid explanation for their actions. They think they're a messiah or harbinger. They don't think they're evil.

So clearly high fantasy can exist without a few of it's cliches.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb?   Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 5:47 pm

Pendragon wrote:
Well, I guess that is an interesting point.

If I may ask then; what the hell is "true evil" then? Simply destroying everything cannot be true evil. It can only be "mindlessness".

To be honest (and sorry that I don't have any other reference to use) Final Fantasy is always considered high fantasy. Yet the villains always have a valid explanation for their actions. They think they're a messiah or harbinger. They don't think they're evil.

So clearly high fantasy can exist without a few of it's cliches.

Sorry but the first Final Fantasy yes until the volume 5 but since the Final Fantasy 6 it becomes more similar to low fantasy Very Happy

Even if there is the good bad guy you want to destroy the world, the different characters are not pure good guy who wants to save the world at the beginning Very Happy

The true evil exist except in your mind.

When you remove all this cliches it becomes low fantasy Laughing

Low fantasy gather all the fantasy which are different to the high fantasy Very Happy

Let's come back to Felarya do you consider the fact the predators eat humans are 100% good or 100% evil Question
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb?   Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 6:30 pm

I never said they were all good or all evil. Please stop assuming I said these things.

Can't there exist an evil in Felarya? Sure it may rarely can be seen, and very few preds would be evil, but can't you acknowledge that there is SOME evil there?

And while I'm at it, let me ask this; what is so wrong with calling Felarya "high fantasy" anyway? You're acting like it's an insult to the world.

(and I apologize if I'm being a bit aggressive, but this issue makes no sense to me)
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb?   Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 6:40 pm

The high fantasy it's the concept of good versus evil.
The world of Felarya would be attacked by an evil force, the guardians would look powerless until a group of choosen ones come to save the world.
The characters won't have any real depth and true personnality.

If you want a good example of high fantasy I quote you the Power Rangers.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb?   Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 6:44 pm

All I'm saying is that Felarya is that type of world that's open to all kinds of Fantasy. It's for the most part low fantasy, but it can be high fantasy at any time.

This is a bit bold, but how do you know there isn't an opponent that's Felarya bound that can fight the guardians?
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb?   Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 6:58 pm

Pendragon wrote:
All I'm saying is that Felarya is that type of world that's open to all kinds of Fantasy. It's for the most part low fantasy, but it can be high fantasy at any time.

This is a bit bold, but how do you know there isn't an opponent that's Felarya bound that can fight the guardians?
The creations of Miraglia forest was a fight between Mercretti and a powerfull caster, Ur-Sagol, and Déméchrelle. Questions Question

You can do it but what this character will bring to the world except destruction and epic battle with the guardian nothing more.

The problem with high fantasy there is no real suspense because the hero must win and the evil must be defeated.

You can do high fantasy but it's an eternal repetition of a fight between good and evil, if you do others things you enter in the low fantasy.

You know there are a lot of high fantasy fanfiction about Felarya.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb?   Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 7:03 pm

Well, I can't argue anymore. I've run out of points to say, and you make a few good points yourself.

Overall, I'm considering Felarya a "medium fantasy", since you can't classify it as low or high fantasy, since it just has too much from each.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb?   Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 7:06 pm

Pendragon wrote:
Well, I can't argue anymore. I've run out of points to say, and you make a few good points yourself.

Overall, I'm considering Felarya a "medium fantasy", since you can't classify it as low or high fantasy, since it just has too much from each.
As you wish Wink
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb?   Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 7:38 pm

EDIT: Looks like I got on this topic a bit late... ah well.

Speaking of FF and evil, are you guys trying to harp on Squall Leonhart's quote: "there is no good or evil, just differences in opinion"?

I'm hesitant to do this, so I'll tread lightly. I think that without religion or some sort of moral philosophy, there can be no good or evil. For instance, if I'm asked "what is evil?", I will answer "whatever goes against God". However, I am not foolish enough to believe everyone thinks that way.

My point is that you cannot argue what good and evil is. People won't agree. Who are we, those subject to good and evil, to say what is right or wrong? Does it come down to the benefit given to our fellow man? I think it is arrogance to assume that we can judge others, when we are all guilty of so much.

Oookay, don't crucify me here people, I ain't pushin' anything on ya, just statin' my stance.
Back to top Go down
Cyrus325
Tasty morsel
Cyrus325

PostSubject: Re: Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb?   Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 8:26 pm

ZionAtriedes wrote:
EDIT: Looks like I got on this topic a bit late... ah well.

I'm hesitant to do this, so I'll tread lightly. I think that without religion or some sort of moral philosophy, there can be no good or evil. For instance, if I'm asked "what is evil?", I will answer "whatever goes against God". However, I am not foolish enough to believe everyone thinks that way.

My point is that you cannot argue what good and evil is. People won't agree. Who are we, those subject to good and evil, to say what is right or wrong? Does it come down to the benefit given to our fellow man? I think it is arrogance to assume that we can judge others, when we are all guilty of so much.

Oookay, don't crucify me here people, I ain't pushin' anything on ya, just statin' my stance.

heh no worries I have to agree with you there. Look like I came into the topic late too but i've read what everyone has to say and I agree with many. To me, in Felarya there is no good and no evil on those who are able to survive and those who aren't it just depends on how willing you are to accept the card that fate has give to you.
Back to top Go down
http://grime325.deviantart.com/
lami
Veteran knight
Veteran knight

PostSubject: Re: Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb?   Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 28, 2008 2:21 am

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Karbo wrote:

As for Felarya, I used at first to see it as just a vore universe but little by little it evolved and I tend to think this is more than that now Razz
Like vampire story, it's not because there is vampire all the story will turn only with drinking blood scene Laughing
The Vore is just the root of tree which is Felarya Very Happy
I think you guys are missunderstanding me, let me bring up a perfect example, the ranma books,

ranma is a romantic comedy, its a manga where the status quo is maintained and things end up the way they do for fun not because it would make sense.

Naturaly for fans of such any series lots of derivitive works exist, just like in felarya, but not every work, infact, most works can be anything but a shallow romantic comedy, some are fluffy others are angsty and serious, they delve deep into human emotions about a guy who changes into a girl, and put the story in darker situations.

Ranma has always been a comedy, but other fans have rearanged that work of art into their own different kind of world.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb?   Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does it matter if a lot of the humans are dumb?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3