Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

If you could change something

Go down 
+12
Sigurd
Ilceren
Darth_Nergal
jedi-explorer
Stabs
DarkOne
gwadahunter2222
ravaging vixen
Nyaha
parameciumkid
Shady Knight
Karbo
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

If you could change something - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: If you could change something   If you could change something - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 4:19 pm

jedi-explorer wrote:

I thought that's just where the human size predators lived. I didn't know anybody of giant proportionate size existed in Motamo or could. Isn't it inside the Eye's range?

There are small Dridders too, the wiki says they can come from as short as three feet.
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: If you could change something   If you could change something - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 8:32 pm

DarkOne wrote:
jedi-explorer wrote:

I thought that's just where the human size predators lived. I didn't know anybody of giant proportionate size existed in Motamo or could. Isn't it inside the Eye's range?

There are small Dridders too, the wiki says they can come from as short as three feet.

I know there are but the way you said makes me think of a hilarious image of a Nikita sized dridder looking for apartments down on the docks. XD I imagine it would probably go over just about as well as when Clare slithered right up to the wall and nearly hit it XD
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: If you could change something   If you could change something - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 11:26 am

Another thing I would change is to encourage more authors to realise how dangerous Felarya as an environment is, because too many people in the community seem to have it stuck in their heads that the gaints are the only threat humans face in Felarya, even though the world is so big one has to wonder exactly how all these adventurers even get close enougth to the great tree to be bothered by Crisis to begin with. Given that many stories don't even bother showing them with navigational equipment or guides (or anything for that matter) I would have thought they would gotten lost long before they even got that far.

Think about it, many of the felarya forests are even bigger than the gaints that live in them. Many of karbo's drawings suggest that the sun is not very visable from the forest ground. So without navigational aid you really shoulden't have any clue as to where to go or even if your heading in the right direction. it's kinda hard to tell when you can see nothing but trees after trees after trees after trees after trees for tens of miles before you find anything distinctive.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: If you could change something   If you could change something - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 11:52 am

I'm working on it, actually.  I have shown only two sapient predators in my stories so far, the rest have been mostly animals.  Although, lack of navigation, proper equipment, and lasting effects from encounters aside, there is some truth to people getting close to the giant tree.  While it's true that Felarya is highly dangerous, at the same time, it's equally unrealistic that you can't go a hundred steps or so without running into some monsters, like the random encounters from the RPG's of yore.  If it did, then Felarya would be almost nothing but wild beasts fighting for control over territories.  If anything, the dangerous monsters would be fairly spread out, unless you're somewhere where they're highly concentrated, like the grove of carnivorous plants where it wouldn't be out of place for carnivorous plants to be literally everywhere, or you were cursed by a gypsy or something.  To put it in perspective, if you survived an encounter with a monster and resumed your trek wherever you're headed, chances are it will take several hours of travel before you run into another monster.  What makes Felarya dangerous is that these giant monsters have a serious home field advantage, being adept at hunting and having developed their own hunting styles to catch preys with minimal effort.  Sapient predators like nagas and dryads are able to think of complex strategies for catching preys, and adapt their tactics given the situation, like making it a point to get rid of the asshole with the staff first.

If anything, it might be worth expanding on the threats that aren't giants.  While they're obviously the bigger threat, literally, it would add much needed diversity if there were small and small-ish creatures that also prey on humans, having their own hunting style, and maybe hunting in groups like wolves.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
ravaging vixen
ravaging vixen

PostSubject: Re: If you could change something   If you could change something - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 7:27 am

@Darkone and at @Shadyknight.

What you guys are asking is not a change of something that is already there, but a change in pace of how things are going. When it comes to writing about encounters, that's nothing that really Karbo can control especially if it's not his story, it's the authors interested in the community. My suggestion to both of you (and I realize your already doing this shady.) Is to set up an official writers guideline or codex that will allow the potential writer and authors what freedom's they can and would write about Felarya and which ones would seem redundant or very uncreative towards the universe (A little more words and lines of both sides that I might be missing to say.). I would love to see these suggestions all cobbled up on the Deviant art page or the story thread as a sticky so people can Have many concepts and ideas of what to write about Felarya while still being intuitive and creative. I can trust you two or other's that are willing to volunteer (me included if you can stand my company) can orchestrate this little project so that we can have the better fleshed out lore or fiction we wan't to keep seeing in the future. This isn't a demand or a job you have to do. But a request from like minded others and personally from me to be taken with consideration.
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: If you could change something   If you could change something - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 9:24 am

I would be up for that, I've had a thing knocking about in my head for a while about the topic of target audiance that i've laid off because I knew it was completly off-track for this discussion but something like that would be ideal for what you just suggested. Along with a few other ideas that I've thought of.

Really the ones I've brought up are things that I know were brought about by other authors and not the source matieral but I only menctioned because I felt they were becoming the standard if you know what I mean. And the nature of the wiki makes it hard to sepratate between what is accepted as canon and what is just 'author repackaging'
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: If you could change something   If you could change something - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 10:27 am

Really, the wiki as a whole should be overhauled. It's obvious the setting has gotten more concrete and we now have a much better idea of what to expect in the setting than a few years ago where it was free-for-all, but at the same time, the wiki has been made years ago and, instead of articles being rewritten to reflect the new concepts, the new idea have simply be patched in to live alongside the old ones, which lead to some inconsistencies, like races that should be condensed.

On a more serious note, I personally would change some of the dark overtones in Negav. I'm not a big fan of the "darker sections with intricate hallways, winding staircases leading to hidden places, shady research labs or storage areas." of the Isolon University where apparently several students vanished without a trace over the years. First of all, you have to ask yourself, who built these places and why are they there? If students vanished, why hasn't an investigations apparently been conducted, and if so, why haven't those areas apparently been quarantined? You would think the safety of the students would be one of high priority, if not the highest, especially considering that teaching potentially destructive magic is inherently dangerous? You could make the argument that it's to build mystery and intrigue, but just the fact that it's outright stated defeats the purpose of making it seem mysterious, so it feels more tacked on than anything else.

Second, I would remove this notion about the Magiocrats in the Negavian Factions' article: "you will find few Negavians who would complain[about the Magiocrats' rule], at least not too loudly. First because it's not very healthy". Why I suggest that is because of this mentioned in the Negavian People section of Negav's main article: "Wise Magiocrats know their rules on Negav cannot be too tough and must remain bearable, unless they want to have their heads on a pike." The first one suggests that the Negavian People are afraid that if they are at all vocal about their dislike of the Magiocrats, a bunch of men in black robes are suddenly going to show up at their door, and either abduct them or give them a healthy dose of police brutality, while the latter, newer one, is much more realistic, suggesting that while the Magiocrats' rule is totalitarian, it mustn't be oppressive, otherwise they'll have a repeat of the Great Destruction. This is what I meant by new ideas being patched over the old ones without really changing them and creating these inconsistencies.

Lastly, I know it's minor, but I'm not a fan of Negav's history with the police. Having police brutality be the norm and was eventually dissolved because of that, I'm okay with. But the fact the new police is comprised of people from numerous factions who just bicker among them, giving them the reputation of being ineffectual, I'm not very okay with. In fact, you could say it got worse, cause now the police come off as too busy to bicker among themselves than to do their own job. I would have changed so that members of the new negav police bickered a lot among themselves due to the MSD's disbanding, but slowly got over it over the years thanks to the Negavian volunteers it mentions, though tension still exist among the more patriotic members of the force. To me, it makes no sense that the Magiocrats would intervene when the people complained about excessive police brutality, but not when they complain that they're not doing their job anymore.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: If you could change something   If you could change something - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 8:38 pm

Shady Knight wrote:
On a more serious note, I personally would change some of the dark overtones in Negav. I'm not a big fan of the "darker sections with intricate hallways, winding staircases leading to hidden places, shady research labs or storage areas." of the Isolon University where apparently several students vanished without a trace over the years. First of all, you have to ask yourself, who built these places and why are they there? If students vanished, why hasn't an investigations apparently been conducted, and if so, why haven't those areas apparently been quarantined?

XD First off I think when Karbo wrote that he was into the Harry Potter Hogwarts vibe that allot of a fantasy writers can't help but add in somewhere in their universes. As for the second. I imagine Felarya Police or at least Investigators are sent to see what's going on and try to locate the students but the problem is...Who looks for them after they disappear? Then for the ones who are looking for the ones who disappeared? I do agree Quarantine Zones need to be placed to try and prevent more from going missing. Though I think some young and reckless mages would be encouraged to explore said zones and prove how they'll be the next legendary mage to stride across history or at least to show their peers they could do it on a dare.

Shady Knight wrote:
Second, I would remove this notion about the Magiocrats in the Negavian Factions' article: "you will find few Negavians who would complain[about the Magiocrats' rule], at least not too loudly. First because it's not very healthy". Why I suggest that is because of this mentioned in the Negavian People section of Negav's main article: "Wise Magiocrats know their rules on Negav cannot be too tough and must remain bearable, unless they want to have their heads on a pike." The first one suggests that the Negavian People are afraid that if they are at all vocal about their dislike of the Magiocrats, a bunch of men in black robes are suddenly going to show up at their door, and either abduct them or give them a healthy dose of police brutality, while the latter, newer one, is much more realistic, suggesting that while the Magiocrats' rule is totalitarian, it mustn't be oppressive, otherwise they'll have a repeat of the Great Destruction. This is what I meant by new ideas being patched over the old ones without really changing them and creating these inconsistencies.

Whoa never saw that one before! O_o That does need to be re-written so there will be no continuity glitches. Those are always looked down upon and don't belong in a professional wiki. I have to agree that I can see the only way Magicocrats getting rid of troublesome citizens would be to do it via shadowy means.

Shady Knight wrote:
Lastly, I know it's minor, but I'm not a fan of Negav's history with the police. Having police brutality be the norm and was eventually dissolved because of that, I'm okay with. But the fact the new police is comprised of people from numerous factions who just bicker among them, giving them the reputation of being ineffectual, I'm not very okay with. In fact, you could say it got worse, cause now the police come off as too busy to bicker among themselves than to do their own job. I would have changed so that members of the new negav police bickered a lot among themselves due to the MSD's disbanding, but slowly got over it over the years thanks to the Negavian volunteers it mentions, though tension still exist among the more patriotic members of the force. To me, it makes no sense that the Magiocrats would intervene when the people complained about excessive police brutality, but not when they complain that they're not doing their job anymore.

I partially agree. It is somewhat less useful to allow them to be "The Watch" and not real police. Ofcourse I have couple of Negavian Police officers and I just now realized that you can use the fact that some of the force is corrupt to your advantage in two ways:

One: Make it be the driving force for why your OCs joined the force. To expel corruption.

Two: Have HR-like splinter faction operating within the Negav Police who use the fact they have to stay off the radar to their advantage so they can hide in plain sight and coordinate their movements consolidating their strongholds and secretly haveing an edge over their goody goody rivals.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If you could change something   If you could change something - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

If you could change something
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4