Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Time

Go down 
+7
Malahite
Karbo
Zoekin
Pendragon
Shady Knight
gwadahunter2222
Silent_eric
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Time - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time   Time - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Cypress wrote:
Indeed, the entire atmosphere is in constant dimensional flux. The way I have thought of this (and written on) is that the nature of felarya's sky is such that it gives the faux appearance of a regular day/night cycle. relatively by syncing with other worlds with similar suns and at similar times of day.... I take it as part of the mystical power of the planet, (perhaps the guardians) that bring this about. Tthis does not mean that its 'regular' or even stable... its more of a normalcy in feeling of time. if acclimated to it you could feel like 40hrs is a proper day length if all the clocks and light indicators told you so... its 'so famously' put relative. this phenomenon does not apply to other celestial objects in Felaryas sky... so at no time are constellations constant or the number of moons(if any) set.

That is why I advocate a Terran earth year as a good standard, as well as all the rest of our time conventions; because alas we are all just observers. and as such we have only our reference to work with... not to mention it would make our lives a lot easier to do so. our own time standards are directly derived from our observations of our skys... since those on Felarya have no constants to rely on, we assume that the time constants they use are imports from other worlds....

as a side note... i find the thing people most often miss about felarya is its unstable sky, and thus write about stuff that cant happen like navigate by star. *shrug* it just bugs me sometimes XP
I didn't get any of that.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
togaoki
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer

Time - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time   Time - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 5:55 pm

I think it means, 'just try and make sense of it in your own way; personally, I use an Earth year to figure out the time.'
^^''' that's what I could understand to the best of my extent of knowledge...
Back to top Go down
Nervan
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Nervan

Time - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time   Time - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 6:02 pm

Cypress wrote:
Indeed, the entire atmosphere is in constant dimensional flux. The way I have thought of this (and written on) is that the nature of felarya's sky is such that it gives the faux appearance of a regular day/night cycle. relatively by syncing with other worlds with similar suns and at similar times of day.... I take it as part of the mystical power of the planet, (perhaps the guardians) that bring this about. Tthis does not mean that its 'regular' or even stable... its more of a normalcy in feeling of time. if acclimated to it you could feel like 40hrs is a proper day length if all the clocks and light indicators told you so... its 'so famously' put relative. this phenomenon does not apply to other celestial objects in Felaryas sky... so at no time are constellations constant or the number of moons(if any) set.
Let's see if I've got things straight. Basically, Felarya's time-of-day and day-night cycle are more or less random, but so long as you take it for granted, whatever time-of-day it happens to be will feel normal. A day that lasted 10 hours would feel no different than a day with 60 - either way, from your perspective, it's a day.

If you have a consistent frame of reference, let's say a watch brought from another world, you could operate either by the day/night cycle, or by whatever time your timepiece says, whichever you believe in more, correct? Example: if your timepiece says it's noon, but the sky's dusky and the sun(s) are about to set, you'll operate as if it was noon if you trust your timepiece more.

Am I getting it or missing it?

*spreads his two upper arms in a shrug and crosses his middle arms across his chest*

I kinda want to know, because it might have an interesting tie in with a hypothesis I posted in this thread. Not to mention a few other ideas rolling around in this head of mine...
Back to top Go down
Cypress
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Cypress

Time - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time   Time - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 10:37 pm

Nervan wrote:
Let's see if I've got things straight. Basically, Felarya's time-of-day and day-night cycle are more or less random, but so long as you take it for granted, whatever time-of-day it happens to be will feel normal. A day that lasted 10 hours would feel no different than a day with 60 - either way, from your perspective, it's a day.

If you have a consistent frame of reference, let's say a watch brought from another world, you could operate either by the day/night cycle, or by whatever time your timepiece says, whichever you believe in more, correct? Example: if your timepiece says it's noon, but the sky's dusky and the sun(s) are about to set, you'll operate as if it was noon if you trust your timepiece more.

thats about it, humans can acclimate to new conditions pretty well, that includes new time differentials (though it takes about a week (our time)) there have been plenty of studies to test this. however the human body takes cues form the environment more than the brain, so eventually no well wishing with a watch will make you think its noon after a while XD

my core point is that for all intensive purposes use earth standard from the point of Ur-Sagols fall. thats the simplest way for outside observers (us, and yes that includes writers) to keep things straight. getting all fancy with time length in compare to local Felaryan will only add to confusion especially if we all find our own standards for the same world >_<
Back to top Go down
http://wowandwas.deviantart.com
Nervan
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Nervan

Time - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time   Time - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 10:40 pm

OK, that clarifies things for me nicely. Basically, a person's body will take their cues from their environment around them - artificial timepieces and measurements of time only serve to help provide some order to the chaos, such as timing the length between two events. Thanks much, Cypress.

*places all three pairs of hands palms-together and bows*
Back to top Go down
Cypress
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Cypress

Time - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time   Time - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 11:02 pm

どういたしまして。
Back to top Go down
http://wowandwas.deviantart.com
Nervan
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Nervan

Time - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time   Time - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2008 12:33 am

I'm doing alright.

Sorry if my sig's given you the wrong impression - I'm not literate in Japanese, unfortunately (at least not yet.) It's just I love that quote by Keisar Ephes in SRWα3 (listen to it yourself here if you want, occurs around 1:05), and so I found the translation to use in my sig.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Time - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time   Time - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Time
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2