Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up)

Go down 
+4
Karbo
GREGOLE
gwadahunter2222
melancholy-melody13
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
melancholy-melody13
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
melancholy-melody13

The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up) Empty
PostSubject: The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up)   The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 10:35 pm

The Island Threnos

Danger: Hazardous
Subzones: Emerald River, The Miaxi hive, The shores, Threnos village
inhabitants: Mermaids, Dryads, Humans, Miaxis, Flying snakes, Faries, Seagull harpies, giant catfish verious other fish, Ichthys

A large island located in the middle of the Topazial Sea, it is very lush and foresty, also it is covered in rivers, all which are part of the Emerald river. The island is often used for it's port on the northern half which is where humans catch and sell many rare and rarely seen aquatic life, one of the best well known being the giant catfish which is extremly hard and hazardous to catch due to it being nearly 30ft long. The entire island is very dangerous to anyone reckless who decides to just randomly take a boat down the River, they are more then often eaten by one of it's many mermaids.
A unique thing about Threnos is because it isn't as large as the mainland it's predators are also smaller, most mermaids that have lived her reaching no more then 40ft long at most and Dryads usually only reaching heights of 70ft, they have evolved so that there maws and throats are very streachy, still allowing them to eat humans, Also the faires here for some odd reason thought to be because of a power kinda of magic located on the island makes it so they can't grow past human size, they can still shrink things but have a much more difficult time doing so.
Emerald River
Danger: Normal
Inhabitants: Jade Mermaids, Estuarine Mermaids, River Dryads, Water elements, Water sprites, Algae fish, Mirror fish,

The Emerald River gets it's name from all the algae that lives in it, the algae for some odd reason is VERY numorous, giving the whole river a greenish tint to it even most of it's inhabitants, this is because of the algae which has very strong healing propertys and is collected in concentrated amounts to make a poplaur healing salve.
The river is used by many humans for gathering of algae fish which are found here in great numbers. The Emerald River is truely emenese, streaching from one side of the island to the other, the river is never very large at any givin place but it spreads out and there are many branchs of it going off in all directions.

The Miaxi hive
Danger: Low
Inhabitants Mixais, Humans
A very odd Miaxi hive, located in the southeast part of the island, the humans and the beegirls have had a treaty for a very long time. The Miaxi queen doesn't have much a taste for humans, but absolutly LOVES the taste of giant catfish, so in exchange for not being eaten and Miaxi honey the people of the island always catch the queen one of these large fish least once a week. Also because of this friendships between beegirls and people of the island have formed. Another thing is that the bee girls are known to defend the humans if say a group of predators tried to go there for a feeding frenzy, the bee girls will attack the predators, visa virsa the humans will also help defend the Miaxi hive if it is attacked.

The Shores
Danger: Hazardous
Inhabitants: Mermaids, Ichthys, Cecaelias, Seaweed snakes, Spider crabs.
The shores are as they sound, they're the shores all around the island, most are large and are covered in a lovely golden sand with some patchs of a certain speieces of giant seaweed that can be huge, however beautiful it is there are many dangers here, such as mermaids who will lanch themselves from the water at nearby passerbys, Seaweed snakes hiding in the real piles of giant seaweed, Spider Crabs which often catch people in there low laying sticky webs, and large Cecalias that can easily eat human and other smaller creatures whole. The few places on the shores that are safe are where Itcthys set up there shops to sell fish and sometimes rare items they find in the sea.

Threnos village
Danger: Low
Inhabitants: Humans, Miaxi, Nekos, Ichthys, Faires
Threnos village is located on the far north side of the island, it is more like a small city then village, though not much technology is used here so they remain alittle less then modern though still are able to live good healthy lives. The village is a strange site to some, many different Speices mingle here even fairys, though it is very rare for anyone to be eaten while in the city and is punishable. The village is very accepting and welcoming of all speices who come into the area.
The Market place and docks are located on the side of the Village where it meets with the shore, the only reason it is rarely attacked by Mermaids is because of the resident Miaxi who help defend the area.

Credit for the Island name goes to Silent Eric ^^ he helped me think of it, some ideas for the fauna goes to Gregole.

I'll Have the discription of the new types Fauna up later on ^^

Last edited by Moonlight-pendent on Thu May 08, 2008 7:00 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://melancholy-melody.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up)   The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 6:37 am

It's very interesting Very Happy

the word "Faires" you mean "fairies" Question
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up)   The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 5:10 pm

I love the concept. It's contained, yet it's ripe for adventure. The fact that it's contained actually forces one to look to all sorts of different new angles for a story. I LOVE the beachy theme.

Though I didn't know spider crabs could spin webs...
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up)   The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 6:20 pm

Me I personnaly loved the emerald river full of algaes and the pact between Miaxi and humans Razz
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
melancholy-melody13
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
melancholy-melody13

PostSubject: Re: The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up)   The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 6:24 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
It's very interesting Very Happy

the word "Faires" you mean "fairies" Question

Thank you and whoops, yes I did ^^;
Back to top Go down
melancholy-melody13
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
melancholy-melody13

PostSubject: Re: The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up)   The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 6:26 pm

GREGOLE wrote:
I love the concept. It's contained, yet it's ripe for adventure. The fact that it's contained actually forces one to look to all sorts of different new angles for a story. I LOVE the beachy theme.

Though I didn't know spider crabs could spin webs...

Thank you! ^_^ and yes spider crabs can, they're mutant! XD
Back to top Go down
melancholy-melody13
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
melancholy-melody13

PostSubject: Re: The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up)   The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 6:28 pm

Karbo wrote:
Me I personnaly loved the emerald river full of algaes and the pact between Miaxi and humans Razz

yay ^^ thank you, I'm glad you liked it, there will be more to come on this I got lots of idea for fauna and plants and other creatures! ^^
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up)   The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 6:32 pm

Glad to know that you used the Ichthys. I bet the stores will close whenever Nekos comes. lol!
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
melancholy-melody13
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
melancholy-melody13

PostSubject: Re: The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up)   The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up) Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2008 11:01 pm

Seaweed Snakes
Size: 25-30
Danger Moderate
A giant snake like creature that lives on the shores of beach's. It is a dark green color, the same as seaweed, also it has adapted so that seaweed actually will grow on the animals nutrient rich skin for better camouflage. These large snakes are very dangerous for humans and other smaller creatures because they hide in the beds of giant seaweed which they blend into freighting well to the point it's near impossible to spot one.

Jade mermaids:
Size: 30-45ft
Danger Medium
These are a smaller species of mermaids, usually growing no larger then forty feet long. They are called jade mermaids because they are completely green in color, from their hair to their tail fins, the only thing that isn't completely green about them is there eyes which vary from green to brown to blue. It also varies from mermaid to mermaid what shade of green they are, some are light green others are darker green, they are like this because of the area in Emerald River which they reside, the higher concentration of algae the darker tone of green they are. they're voracious in nature despite their small size, this is because they have very stretchy mouths and throats, allowing them to swallow large prey such as humans.

River Dryads:
Size: 50-70ft
Danger: Medium
River Dryads are found in very forested rivers where groups of trees are known to grow right out of the water. River Dryads are pretty small for Dryads, only growing about seventy feet tall at most, they are the main danger next to mermaids to those traveling via boat or in the water. They are even more agile and bendy then normal Dryads, especially there roots which they can lift out of the water to grab people and boats from long distances. Another unique thing about them is that they are able to spray out a high pressured jet of water from their mouths as a defense mechanism.

Flying snakes:
Size: 5-8ft
Danger: Very low
They are not exactly as there name says, they are more like gliding snakes, they are smallish only six feet or so long, they guild by flatting there bodies out and leaping between trees, they do this to catch there main prey of small birds and such. Flying snakes can't control to a very high extent how much they move in the air, so if something gets in there way, usually a human they end up colliding and both get a few bruises, the snakes are otherwise harmless.

Giant green catfish:
Size: 20-30ft
Danger Moderate
A very large catfish that lives mostly in tropical water, they are dark blue/green and have powerful tails, fins and a very large mouth. They're considered a delicacy having very delicious meat though it is a blue/green color. It is dangerous hunting them because of their size, only very skilled fishers go after them because of the risk of getting eaten.

Seagull Harpies
Size 6-9ft
Danger: low
A species of roughly human sized harpies, they live in numerous amounts around beaches and coastal areas, they are mostly harmless to humans, though they often have very loud voices that often annoy most people along with their habit of being scavengers, often sneaking off with a novice fisherman's catch if he isn't on the look out. Some of these harpys though have been hired by people to carry goods and other things across seas, Seagull Harpies are one of the best long distance flyers there are, and they're very fast too able to swiftly navigate through the air above the sea's though they are a tasty prize for mermaids and other creatures below the waves.

Spider crabs
Size: 5-6ft high and 12-16 ft long
Danger: Moderate
They're a strange looking creature true to their name, they look mostly like an ordinary crab ((except for the size of course)) but they are able to "Spin" webs on the ground to catch wandering prey. Usually green or tan in color to blend into the rocky beaches where they live. Spider crabs make large flat laying webs along the rocky shores where they are commonly found. They usually don't get large enough to swallow a human whole so true to there name they are able to eat much like a spider would, they have a type of venom located in a short pair of fangs right above there mandibles which causes them to be knocked out int a coma like state instantly, they could probably remain like that for months at a time but usually they are eaten by then.

Algae fish
Size: 2-6ft
Danger: Minimal
A dark green colored fish found only in the Emerald River, it's color is based on all the algae in the river which is it's primary source of food, it is very sought after by all types of predators from humans to mermaids. Lucky for their great numbers and very fast breeding. Some places in the Emerald River are teeming with them. Another special thing about then is they carry the healing abilities of the algae they eat, many people ground up there scales as healing salve that when put on a wound helps it heal twice as fast.

Mirror fish
Size:1-8ft
Danger: Very Low
A type of fish that lives mostly around shores in shallower water, it is a rare fish that actually has eyelids, which are the same sliver/grey color as their scales that seem to not lay down completely flat, this doesn't affect the fishes swimming at all though. It has a strange ability that when frightened or threatened it will lay all it's scales down flat and close it's eyes it turns into a the equivalent of a mirror which often will confuse and startle an unaware attacker which then just suddenly sees it's reflection. Some of the smaller Mirror fish are often kept as pets because of there docile nature and if you make any sudden movements towards them they make very handy makeshift mirrors.

Dark Willows
Size: 90-250ft tall
A deciduous tree which has usually a dark brown trunk and long branches which droop much like a normal weeping willow, their leaves are very dark green sometimes nearly black. They often grow either in very watery places or very dry places. The ones that grow in dry places remain normal most the year long but unseen are there roots which are very large, over twice as large as tree roots of the same height, once the roots have reached their limit the water stored within them will be carried up into the trunk and then into the branches, where it will fall as rain from the leaves, this is a haven for creatures living in very dry places and often these trees are protected by many of the creatures nearby. As for the Dark Willows growing in very moist areas instead of only raining every once in a while they rain for days or weeks, sometimes even months at a time depending on the amount of water nearby.
The water that travels though the tree is also mixed in with the trees sap, making the water very sweet and has the same healing properties as the Felaryan soil, it is often bottled and sold at markets for high prices.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up)   The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up) Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2008 9:21 am

Interestnig fauna and flora Very Happy
Back to top Go down
melancholy-melody13
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
melancholy-melody13

PostSubject: Re: The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up)   The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up) Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2008 9:31 am

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Interestnig fauna and flora Very Happy
Thank you but Uhh could I bug ya for some more feedback then that? ^^;
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up)   The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up) Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2008 10:35 am

Moonlight-pendent wrote:
Thank you but Uhh could I bug ya for some more feedback then that? ^^;
Well I can say it's nicely well-written, the faunas and floras are very original. It's make the island Threnos unique Very Happy
I like a lot the idea of the Dark Willows Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up)   The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up) Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2008 11:31 am

I agree this tree is a superb idea ! the kind of idea that can give a feel to all the rest I think Razz
And I really love the work that you made on the fauna and inhabitants ^_^

Now I think it may lack a specific feel yet, something to make it really unique.. Mhh humidity seem a recuring theme here.. maybe something to do with that Smile
or fusion between algae and plants.. just throwing random ideas here Razz
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
melancholy-melody13
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
melancholy-melody13

PostSubject: Re: The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up)   The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up) Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2008 11:34 am

Karbo wrote:
I agree this tree is a superb idea ! the kind of idea that can give a feel to all the rest I think Razz
And I really love the work that you made on the fauna and inhabitants ^_^

Now I think it may lack a specific feel yet, something to make it really unique.. Mhh humidity seem a recuring theme here.. maybe something to do with that Smile
or fusion between algae and plants.. just throwing random ideas here Razz

Thank you very much ^^ and hmm yeah it is a very tropical and lush place, I'll add more details on that in the next discription.
Back to top Go down
Zoekin
Grand-pop
Grand-pop
Zoekin

PostSubject: Re: The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up)   The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up) Icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2008 4:13 pm

Shocked Wow!
I am impressed with a capital IM!
You and GREGOLE have put in a LOT of hard work here and it certainly has paid off!
I'm very pleased to see Estuarine Mermaids included too.
Sounds like a fasinating place to visit!

I especaiily like the Giant Catfish!
Back to top Go down
http://tanyastoviaka.deviantart.com/
melancholy-melody13
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
melancholy-melody13

PostSubject: Re: The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up)   The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up) Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 8:42 am

Zoekin wrote:
Shocked Wow!
You and GREGOLE have put in a LOT of hard work here and it certainly has paid off!

Thank you but although Gregole helped me out abit with a few things here and gave me feedback it is mostly my idea ^^ I'm really happy you like all this!
Back to top Go down
zalzas
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
zalzas

PostSubject: Re: The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up)   The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up) Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 10:28 am

Stop having such awesome ideas Moony! Your taking all the good ones! Just to spite your I’m going to come up with a brilent and funny idea of my own. Ok here I go…. Thinking…. Thinking… scratch nope I got nothing. I blame you Moony. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://zalzas.deviantart.com/
Zoekin
Grand-pop
Grand-pop
Zoekin

PostSubject: Re: The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up)   The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up) Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 11:59 am

Moonlight-pendent wrote:
Zoekin wrote:
Shocked Wow!

Thank you but although Gregole helped me out abit with a few things here and gave me feedback it is mostly my idea ^^ I'm really happy you like all this!

sobsob Sorry Moony!

I just wanted to play it safe. I didn't want to miss out GREGOLE's contribution.

Now can you get Terror to stop pulling off my fingers and eating them?
Back to top Go down
melancholy-melody13
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
melancholy-melody13

PostSubject: Re: The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up)   The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up) Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 12:14 pm

Zoekin wrote:
Moonlight-pendent wrote:
Zoekin wrote:
Shocked Wow!

sobsob Sorry Moony!

I just wanted to play it safe. I didn't want to miss out GREGOLE's contribution.

Now can you get Terror to stop pulling off my fingers and eating them?

Don't be sorry it's fine ^^ and uhh I don't think Terror eats fingers XD
Back to top Go down
melancholy-melody13
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
melancholy-melody13

PostSubject: Re: The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up)   The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up) Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 12:15 pm

zalzas wrote:
Stop having such awesome ideas Moony! Your taking all the good ones! Just to spite your I’m going to come up with a brilent and funny idea of my own. Ok here I go…. Thinking…. Thinking… scratch nope I got nothing. I blame you Moony. Very Happy
XD lol thank you and lmao I know I know ^^
Back to top Go down
Zoekin
Grand-pop
Grand-pop
Zoekin

PostSubject: Re: The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up)   The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up) Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 2:06 pm

Moonlight-pendent wrote:

Don't be sorry it's fine ^^ and uhh I don't think Terror eats fingers XD

Tanya-"Have you never heard of finger food?"

Nice work anyway Moony.
Keep it up.
Arrow
Back to top Go down
melancholy-melody13
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
melancholy-melody13

PostSubject: Re: The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up)   The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up) Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 7:13 pm

Weather and atmosphere: Over half the island has very high humidity levels, not unlike that of the Misty Glade but to a much less extent, the water in the air never gets dense enough to swim in. Despite how wet it is on the island for some odd reason there a select few very dry areas as well, many Dark Willows live here, there roots often long enough to reach the more moist parts of the island, allowing them to rain very often creating havens for creatures living in the dryer parts of the island.
The weather here can be a bit erratic also, Changing from a calm warm spring day to a very hot thunderstorm then cooling off enough to the point of hail sometimes even snow. The creatures of the island and even some of the humans are able to pick up the changes in the atmosphere because the weather takes a sudden turn. You may see fishers and other people with shops up suddenly pack up and go home on a seemingly beautiful day, same for animals in the forest, one moment it will be bustling with life the next they will suddenly all go into hiding until the weather passes.
The weather changes are caused by where the island is, since it's basically right in the middle of the sea many weather systems pass over it. The Island Threnos is mostly a tropical place though, the bizarre weather only happening once a week at most, usually less each time it happens it can and does cause a considerable amount of damage for those unprepared.

Habitat and Landscape: Over 50% of the island is covered by lush tropical forests that are almost always teeming with life. 5% of the island is made up of it's large beaches another 10% is of the rare almost desert like dry spots there are for some reason throughout the island and 25% of the Island is made up of it's large river system the Emerald River. Of course there are a few small towns mostly located around the shores and the large city of Threnos makes up 10% of the area because it is a truly huge city, though very little technology is used here so it is a very down to earth place so to speak and alot of hard work is needed to keep it a busy and buslting place.
There are very few high altitude places on the island, the highest point being 1000 feet up.
A few well known landmarks are the Thunder waterfalls, named for the fact they can be heard miles away and sound very much like continual thunder, not very high up (For Felaryan standards), only 400ft tall or so but they are very long, stretching for at least a few miles. They are located in the emerald river so they are a wonderful green color and the green mist produced by them is remarkable and a true sight to behold.

More to come on all this stuff later! ^^ I have much more to type but I wanted to get some of this up here now!
Back to top Go down
melancholy-melody13
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
melancholy-melody13

PostSubject: Re: The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up)   The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up) Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 6:59 am

Name Zoey
Speices: Neko
Size: Varies between 5,10 and 3 inchs
Hair color: orange and often in a large single braid
Fur color: dark orange

A cute intillgent Neko of an unknown tribe, she was found by a group of humans on shore wraped in a strange kind of leaves when she was just a kitten and they raised her as their own in their village which is on a large Island called Threnos it's located in the middle of the Topazial Sea.

She has a shy nature but will on occasion have emotional outbursts before reverting back to her meek nature, easily scared this is very bad for her because of a very strange ocurance that happens when she is frightend, she shrinks down to 2-3 inches, no one knows why this happens but it just does, it scared the heck out of her parent when it first happened, but she usually regains her normal size after about 30minutes when she completly calms down.

She spends most her time carving things out of wood or other material, she has a skill in making little sculptures which she gives away for free, sometimes she actually has someone scare her so she can shrink down and do more detailed work on her art.
Back to top Go down
Haar
Great warrior
Great warrior
Haar

PostSubject: Re: The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up)   The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up) Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 8:54 am

Moonlight-pendent wrote:
Name Zoey
Speices: Neko
Size: Varies between 5,10 and 3 inchs
Other stuff

'Zoey,' Huh? This neko wouldn't happen to be named after a certain writer we all know and love, would she? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://haar.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up)   The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up) Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 8:57 am

A very funny and original neko Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up)   The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Island Threnos (profile and weather discriptions are up)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next