Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Iracal Island

Go down 
+5
aethernavale
Anime-Junkie
Shady Knight
Karbo
TheLightLost
9 posters
AuthorMessage
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

Iracal Island Empty
PostSubject: Iracal Island   Iracal Island Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 2:42 pm

I noticed the island to the far left on the wiki map but didn't find any information on it. The island appears to be an intriguing locale. Can anyone fill me in or point me in the direction of where I can find a story on the island?

Karbo wrote:
Like many thing that are west on the map it's not developped at all for the moment ^^; There hasn't been any stories on it either.

I'll toss in a few ideas for this location on the Wiki map. I'll be working off the shape that Karbo already created.

Last edited by gt500x on Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:25 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Iracal Island Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iracal Island   Iracal Island Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 2:39 am

Like many thing that are west on the map it's not developped at all for the moment ^^; There hasn't been any stories on it either.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

Iracal Island Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iracal Island   Iracal Island Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 2:20 am

Note: Colored text marks ideas that are likely to be taken out. After much thought, I decided the best thing for this Island idea is for me to refrain from forcing climates that don't work well in close proximity.

===============
Iracal Island
===============
Danger: Normal
Major Inhabitants: Humans, Inus, Elves, Harpies, Sphinxes, Centaurs, Dridders, Chlaenas, Dryads, and Slug-Girls
Notable Minor Inhabitants: Small Nagas, Chilotaurs, Genies, Miaxi, Squamataurs

Iracal Island lies in one of Felarya's more unstable zones in the spacetime continuum. A result of this instability is a bubble of distorted space, time, and light that surrounds the island. This bubble, or field, is significant enough to make the island appear considerably smaller than it actually is. The radius of the field is said to reach about half way to the Felaryan main land. While the it is only believed to be about 152 centimeters thick, passing through the field to leave, or land, on the Island can have unpredictable and possibly dangerous effects. Some have reported a change in age ranging from 10 to 20 years, which is more noticeable than 1 to 5 years, while others have vanished completely. Severe interactions with the field are rare but it's enough to deter the natives from attempting to escape the island, especially when considering they still have to cross water patrolled by hungry Chlaenas just to reach the field. This has led to the natives regarding travel involving Iracal Island as a one way trip.

-----------------------
Mist Valley
-----------------------
Inhabitants: Slug Girls, Swamp Dryads

The thick fog blanketing this valley is the source of it's name. The Mist Vally is situated to the west of the Black Sand Desert. From the swamp, water flows into the enormous caverns underneath the two neighboring lands. The Mist Valley is also crawling with very hungry Slug Girls who don't get many human visitors, so they will be very eager to chow down, and there isn't much one can say to change their minds.

--------------------------
Black Sand Desert
Inhabitants: Humans, Elves, Inus, Zebra Centaurs, Harpies, Sphinxes

This region is actually only 60% desert, the other 40% is surrounding savanna with a wide range of fauna. The crystal formations in this region peak around 50 to 80 feet in height. During sandstorms these crystals will resonate melodiusly. The natives of the surrounding savanna tell stories to explain the sound. Most involve the continuing battles between a Wind Elemental and a Sand Elemental for dominance in the land. With their chaos threatening to spread to the surrounding lands, a chorus of Angels descend from Heaven to sing a song of protection. All those that ignore the Angels' song will not recieve their protection and be a casualty of the Elementals' battle.

------------------
- Kira City
------------------
Danger: Hazardous
Inhabitants: Sphinxes

There is rumored to be great treasure hidden in the ruins of Kira City. Legend states that the city was built with precious stones that were mined from deep underground. The city shined like a lone star in the sky from miles away. The majestic beauty of the city was quite attractive to the Sphinxes and they became jealous of the inhabitants, so they crushed the city and mercilessly devoured everyone. They are still believed to be watching the remains of the city to keep travelers from running off with the treasures in contains.

Luminous Caverns
Inhabitants: Chlaenas

The large crystal formations that litter the landscapes of the Iracal Island extend deep into the caverns below illuminating them with light from the surface. There would be enough light for a colony of humans to survive without having to create light sources during the day, but there are also many areas that the light can not reach and may provide a hiding place for dangerous predators. Treasure hunters can enter these caverns from the Mist Valley in search of the abundant gems they are said to contain. The water flowing in from the swamp in the Mist Valley also connects to the sea through these caverns, so it is not unthinkable to find a Chlaenas or two lurking. The worst possible scenario might be to find a visiting Succubus in these enormous and treasure filled caverns.

Highlands of Urdoa
Inhabitants: Humans, Elves, Inus, Sphinxes, Harpies, Dryads

High above the rest of Iracal Island lies many villages hidden in the forests and on the mountain side. These highlands have been the site of many battles between the Sphinxes and Harpies. The latest war between them is being fought over the summit of Mount Litochoro, the highest point on Iracal Island. Litochoro's size and virtually flat top make it an ideal location for the giant predators to call home. As extra incentive, these two feuding races have come to view the ownership of the highest point on Iracal Island as a symbol of dominance. Interestingly, it was not the predators that set foot on the summit first, but it was the humans that were the proud owners of this mountain top for many years.

------------------
- Torin City
------------------
Danger: Low
Inhabitants: Humans, Harpies

Built by humans, overtaken by harpies. The people of this city were allowed to live but in servitude to the giant predators and their leader. Over time the oppression of the Torinians has eased but they still live in the shadow of death.

Last edited by gt500x on Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:55 am; edited 45 times in total
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Iracal Island Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iracal Island   Iracal Island Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 4:55 am

It's actually not bad, however, I don't understand how a swamp can be directly next to a desert. I thought deserts were formed because very high lands prevent clouds from reaching over to rain, or something like that. Also, I'm not sure if Dridders would last very long in a desert environment.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

Iracal Island Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iracal Island   Iracal Island Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 5:01 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
It's actually not bad, however, I don't understand how a swamp can be directly next to a desert. I thought deserts were formed because very high lands prevent clouds from reaching over to rain, or something like that.
Gotta agree with this.
Sean Okotami wrote:
Also, I'm not sure if Dridders would last very long in a desert environment.
Scorpisaïs would probably more suited that dridders I think.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

Iracal Island Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iracal Island   Iracal Island Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 6:33 am

While I agree that you should find the scorps in higher population groups, don't forget that some tarantulas thrive in the arid climate of a desert. I can only think of one example where someone has made a dridder off of a Tarantula structure (Noxcia) - and that she was a chimera, really - yet if the other subdivisions in races are any indication and the general survivability of spiders taken into question, the idea that dridders would live there isn't bad at all. I just don't think they'd be as major a player.

I should point out that if the Earth's atmosphere turns into a plasma field at any point in the future, spiders will live longer than cockroaches by a few seconds. You probably shouldn't ask me how I know this, but it is a rather funny story...
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

Iracal Island Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iracal Island   Iracal Island Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 7:16 am

Thanks for the feedback. I knew the proximity of these environments would pose problems. The area is smaller than the mainland so I have to cram large regions in there where they normally wouldn't fit and explain it away with localized bio-domes created by the distortion of spacetime.
I think what I should do is recolor the map and try to fill in some green between the regions. Maybe narrow the Abysmal Valley more, I wasn't sure how easy the map would read so I left it wide.

On the matter of Dridders in the desert, the tauric form that I had in mind was similar to Camel Spiders.

Also, I wouldn't mind it if someone else made a better looking version of the map. If you can, feel free.

Last edited by gt500x on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

Iracal Island Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iracal Island   Iracal Island Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 7:17 am

Doesn't seem like a pleasant place to live with that hurricane formation of clouds above.

Then again, "pleasant places to live" are in short supply when everything can eat you in Felarya. XD
Back to top Go down
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

Iracal Island Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iracal Island   Iracal Island Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 8:42 am

I could see the Indigo Swamp maybe being underground, hiding in a series of caverns under the desert or something
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

Iracal Island Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iracal Island   Iracal Island Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 9:25 am

Now that you mention it, I can see the swamp being a valley leading to caverns underneathe the desert and the frozen land. This way, the swamp would actually be sorta isolated from the desert. It wouldn't be so deep that sunlight couldn't fill the valley though. There might be also be waterfalls from the melting ice to the west, the swamp water can flow through the enormous caverns undeath the desert. How does that sound?

I suppose I should add an underground region to the Island description.

Edit: I wonder if the Chlaenas might sometimes roam the underground caverns and even show up in the swamp (well maybe not that far). I can see them entering the island from the sea by finding holes in the side to shimmy through. I'm adding that to the description.

Last edited by gt500x on Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:16 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

Iracal Island Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iracal Island   Iracal Island Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 9:29 am

Sounds plausible to me, yeah. It probably would have its own unique fauna considering the circumstances and the fact it's an isolated island too
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

Iracal Island Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iracal Island   Iracal Island Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2010 9:39 am

I thought about that. I would have started a list of Minor Inhabitants but I didn't have the energy to delve into it.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Iracal Island Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iracal Island   Iracal Island Icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2010 1:44 am

I find your ideas really interesting Smile
The idea of having a toll to pay while crossing the barrier is a good one, as well as having the island change dimensions. Pocket worlds are fun to play with ^^

Like others pointed, I think there is maybe too much different regions that doesn't necessarily fit with each others. But even then it's starting nicely and your descriptions already convey a nice feel of what that mysterious island can look like Smile
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

Iracal Island Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iracal Island   Iracal Island Icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 10:36 pm

....Ok, lots of stuff got the axe. I'm thinking of taking out the desert and valley as well. I don't know. I'm not satisfied with the Island as it is now. There is something missing. It still needs something to make it unique!

Well, anyway. Excuse the typos, I dozed off like eight times trying to rewrite that idea. I'd appreciate the feedback so that I can make the best changes. Please p.m. me if you don't want to post your comments on the thread.

Also, I hope the "Ur-Doa" joke isn't lost on anyone. Just in case someone doesn't get it... U R D O A: You are dead on arrival.

That about wraps this up. I'm going to move things not pertaining to the island itself into another thread in the Ideas Forum.

Last edited by gt500x on Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dragonjaj
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
dragonjaj

Iracal Island Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iracal Island   Iracal Island Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 12:05 pm

Well is the meution cased by the ground its self or a nother reson also a good way to do a city in a unstable zone like that is to not build it on the land its self a tree top city would exsplany harpy dilect do to mor cultrule cuntact. Also anothe unic city idea is a city on the water ie on flots that fills bays and coves around the inland.
Back to top Go down
http://dragonjaj.deviantart.com/
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

Iracal Island Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iracal Island   Iracal Island Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 2:55 am

At the rate this is going, shouldn't this topic be moved to the New Ideas thread?
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

Iracal Island Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iracal Island   Iracal Island Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 11:44 pm

Slimetoad wrote:
At the rate this is going, shouldn't this topic be moved to the New Ideas thread?
Moved.
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

Iracal Island Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iracal Island   Iracal Island Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iracal Island
Page 1 of 1