Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The seas of Felarya

Go down 
+28
Zoekin-3
Anime-Junkie
Jasconius
Oldman40k2003
Jætte_Troll
TheLightLost
walkingbyself
luke112
Silent_eric
Raetsu Lord Pichu
Zoekin
SB
Chroias
Sephimink|Kyle
GREGOLE
Xeno-the-Hedgehog
Shady Knight
xlrp
Rythmear
lami
Ravana3k
jurodan@gmail.com
Pendragon
Malahite
gwadahunter2222
MukatKiKaarn
The Rev
Karbo
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

The seas of Felarya - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2008 9:22 am

I'm trying to get ideas for some original fauna and other races, but all I can think of is aquatic life form found on Earth with some differences, sea serpents or dragons or Mermaids, nothing really original. I was thinking of anthromorphic fishes species like the Zoras from The Legend of Zelda, but that won't be really original. Anyone can help?
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2008 3:05 pm

Well, a while ago there was talk of a Human city built under the ocean.

A Coral-Dryad would probably be interesting.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2008 3:07 pm

Well I think the anthromorphic fishes species could work since it isn't used all that much. Now I just need to find an original name to them.
Back to top Go down
Xeno-the-Hedgehog
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Xeno-the-Hedgehog

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2008 6:47 pm

Malahite wrote:
A Coral-Dryad would probably be interesting.

I hate to burst your bubble, but coral aren't plants; they're animals. Good thought though.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2008 7:02 pm

I think it will be interesting to developp new species than sub species Very Happy

Last edited by on Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2008 9:06 pm

Oh come on, what CAN'T you do with aquatic fauna?

Carnivorous coral, starfish-girls, flying carnivorous whales, mosasaurs, magical liopleurodons, shark-people, living whirlpools(the only vore-esque natural disaster), lord knows how many worms, and those tiny little fish that swallow fish ten times their size whole.

The gulper eel is THE Felaryan fish!
Back to top Go down
Xeno-the-Hedgehog
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Xeno-the-Hedgehog

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2008 11:25 pm

What about the basking shark? or the angler fish?
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 5:27 am

If you want to suggest a creature, post it in the wiki format.

Name:
Size:
Threat:

Description:

That way it's more specific.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 5:51 am

Name: Aqua Dryad
Size: 70 feet
Threat: medium

Description: These are a special type of dryad that are related more to underwater flora than to trees. Being underwater, they rarely need the sun, as they can utilize chemosynthesis to acquire energy. Every once in a while, though, they'll grab a "bite" to eat.

If they do eat you, you'll be taken into their stomach, where it's surprisingly dry. That's because she keeps her stomach full of oxygen so her prey doesn't drown, and so she can feel them squirm around. It also helps with digestion.

Name: mangrove dryad
Size: 70-100 feet
Threat: medium

Description: a special dryad that resides NEXT to the sea and certain rivers. Her roots are widely spread out so she can collect prey from long distances. She can also extend a root to meet other creatures, since they are known to be friendly. Since Mangrove Dryads are exposed to the varying minerals of sea, ocean and river water, it can have a multitude of effects on them physically (for example. Some were reported to have four arms, afros and short hair, or even be fused together.)

Please tell me if these are good ideas. I'm not sure if they've been done before.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 7:44 am

I think it would be better to create exclusive creatures first before creating a sub-specie.

Name: Sahagins
Size: 4' to 8'
Threat: Minimal to Moderate

Description: A race of anthromorphic fishes that reside under the sea. Their shape is overall human, with palmed feets and hands, they have blade shaped fins protruding from their elbows, though they usually keep them fold up when they are not swimming. Their eyes are black colored with white glows, they can see as well underwater as out of water. They both sports a pair of gills at their neck for breathing underwater and lungs for breathing out of water. Their scale color varies from one Sahagin to another, but they all glows when exposed to light.

Sahagins goes along Mermaids perfectly, seeing them as creatures of their God Leviathan. It is considered blasphemy for a Mermaid to eat a Sahagin for no good reason, not even if she was starving to death. Sahagins are peaceful creatures that usually lives in their city underwater, but are often seen in port towns selling goods from the sea. They are excellent swimmers, capable of swimming as fast as a motor boat and with astonishing agility as well using their fins as rudders. They can live and walk on land almost as easily as humans, but can't stay out of water indefinitely as they get sick if their scales dries up and eventually die.

Their diet mostly consist of fishes and crustaceans, but can eat human food. They possess superior strength than humans so it is not advised to fight one. Sahagins warriors usually fight with harpoons, tridents and other pole weapons. Underwater, they can emit an electrical shock in the same manner as electric eels to stun larger creatures. When fighting bare handed, they unfold their razor sharp fins and use them as swords. They are naturals at martial arts making them deadly to face head on. They are normally peaceful toward humans, but will attack any poachers or crooks they find on boats to keep the ocean clean. They usually feed their prisoners to Mermaids, one reason they go along so well.

Though you will mostly find them in port towns around the Topazial seas, you can find them in other human settlements to deliver fresh fish or other water artifacts. They are not hunted as much as humans in the wild, mostly because they lose their "freshness" outside. They are also good artisans, using a special material found in the Topazial sea, they can make clothes for breathing underwater or to resist water pressure, sometime both.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 8:02 am

Well, I just thought with all the new creatures, it'd be nice to see some familiar faces.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 9:26 am

Name: Volasaurus

Length: 15-20 feet

Threat: Moderate.

Volasaurs are bizarre creatures, possibly descended from Eath mosasaurs that somehow found their way into Felarya's oceans.
The volasaurus' small size makes it an agile creature, extremely adept at evading predators. Superficially is resembles a dwarf tylosaurus, appearing similar to a streamlined monitor lizard with flippers in place of legs.
The volasaurus has one trait of particular interest: It's digestive tract. The volasaurus is able to unhinge its jaws to mind-bogglingly absurd proportions. An elastic, but EXTREMELY durable stomach and esophagus allow it to gulp down victims several dozen times its own size. One moderately sized specimen was observed to down an entire yaght at once!

Once the volasaurus gorges itself, it will retreat to its designated hiding spot. This hiding spot may be an underwater cave, a kelp cover or simply a remote beach. Once it bloats itself, it will be all but helpless until its food has worked its way through the lizard's digestive tract. Once it does, however, the volasaurus will be rippling with energy. This is important, as the volasaurus has another unique ability.

Once fueled with enough energy, the volasaurus can choose to momentarily speed up every function in its body. What is a seemingly normal sea animal one moment can turn into a colored blurr in the water the next. Volasaurs, while in this state, are able to rocket through the water like bullets and leap hundreds of feet over the water's surface!
The duration of this state depends on how much food the volasaurus has consumed. One should assume that it gains approximately five seconds worth of this superspeed for every time its own body weight it consumes.

Last edited by on Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 9:30 am

Wow some very interesting ideas here ! Razz

I especially loved the aquatic ( seaweed ? ) dryads and Volasaurus ^_^
*write on list*
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 10:19 am

Guess my idea didn't make the cut, *sigh*.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 11:16 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
Don't worry the idea of locations you did is excellent. Very Happy
If your idea is not accepted is not a reason to let you down, stand up Sean. You are still young maybe you will have a better idea the next time Wink
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 12:14 pm

Karbo wrote:

I especially loved the aquatic ( seaweed ? ) dryads and Volasaurus ^_^
*write on list*

Well, she has seaweed for hair, but it is the same concept. I'm happy you did like it.
Back to top Go down
Sephimink|Kyle
valiant swordman
valiant swordman

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 12:24 pm

Are the seas in Felarya vast? Perhaps large enough to hold even lands greater than what has been exposed thus far? I was thinking on the possibility of introducing a small landmass in the ocean, perhaps ten or twenty miles in diameter (minuscule in comparison to the main Felaryan continent).
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 12:33 pm

The ocean's cover roughly 45% of Felarya, as of the entry on the Wiki.

I myself would expect that many of the "5% non-Jungle Landmass" is islands located (and isolated) throughout the ocean. A Galapagos Island-Style place on Felarya would be hillarious. Especially the first time a Harpy or something visits.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 3:02 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:

Well I think it was nice, I like their electric shock ability and their relations to mermaids Smile
But somehow they looks a bit too similar to Ad&d sahaguins I think ^^;

Sephimink|Kyle wrote:
Are the seas in Felarya vast? Perhaps large enough to hold even lands greater than what has been exposed thus far? I was thinking on the possibility of introducing a small landmass in the ocean, perhaps ten or twenty miles in diameter (minuscule in comparison to the main Felaryan continent).

Yup, if you see in rumors, there is tales of another continent even more full of treasures and wonders past the Topazial sea Razz
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 6:55 pm

Karbo wrote:
Sean Okotami wrote:

Well I think it was nice, I like their electric shock ability and their relations to mermaids Smile
But somehow they looks a bit too similar to Ad&d sahaguins I think ^^;

Sephimink|Kyle wrote:

Yup, if you see in rumors, there is tales of another continent even more full of treasures and wonders past the Topazial sea Razz
I actually based myself on Ocarina of Time Zoras, I never heard of Ad&d before. I picked Sahagin as a name cause I recall having a fish-man creature named like that. If you can tell me the bad points, I could fix them, my specialty is adapting. ^_^
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 2:08 pm

Well I think it is now time to develop the zone a bit.

Topazial Sea

Danger: Normal
Sub Zones: Minato Town, Ichthys City
Inhabitants: Humans, Ichthys, Mermaids, Leviathan Mermaids, Royal Mermaids, Aqua Dryads, Royal Pelican, Silver Mycrope, Pearl Anemone, Exovole, Toxotida, Sea Thaniathan, more creatures unique to the sea to come.

To east of Felarya lies the Topazial Sea, a paradise for aquatic predators of all sorts, especially the dreaded Mermaids. The particularity of the sea is its water: it isn't salty. In fact, you can even drink it and you won't get sick from it, in fact, it is highly nutritious and healthy, unfortunately, this also makes you even more nutritious to sea dwelling predators. The strangest thing about the sea is that creatures that usually need sea water can live in the Topazial Sea as well as those that lives in fresh water, and they become even healthier here. It comes to no surprises that many oceanic and river creatures meets here, making the fauna extremely diverse. Human activity around here revolves mainly around fishing, some even attempted selling the sea water for profit, but all failed because the fauna is very fond of the water and only allows it to be sold for free! Very few predators dwells around the surface, but they are numerous enough to make this place relatively dangerous.

Minato Town

Danger: Very Low
Inhabitants: Human, Ichthys, Nekos, Elves(mostly human sized), all sort of predators as well.

A port town built on the Mysterious Peninsula, because of the peninsula's mysterious powers, this town is a neutral ground. For some reasons, predators that come here are almost harmless to humans, you can still end up eaten, you simply have to ask for it. This town is busting with commercial activity, ranging from fish, to ships, to taverns, to all sort of items excavated from underwater as well. If it wasn't enough, you can even find some equipments made from the Ichthys to explore the sea, at your own risk, of course! You can find practically anything here, and the streets are wide enough to allow giant predators to circulate among humans. The drawback of this place? The peninsula just keep changing place everyday, so you'll never know where exactly this town is situated. Nekos are relatively populous here, mostly because there's lot's of fish and Elves are usually here to sell larger creatures caught via harpoons.

Ichthys City
Danger: Low-Normal
Inhabitants: Ichthys, Mermaids, Humans (with equipment made from the Ichthys)

A city underwater and home of the man-fish race Ichthys. The city is found relatively deep underwater, though not deep enough for pressure to become an issue for humans. It is a marvel for the eyes from both the outside and the inside, with various glows of all color. The city is governed from the Ichthys Palace, the Ichthys King refused to reveal his name for safety reasons and only time will tell if he will ever reveal it. Along with the Ichthys, their is a lot of human sized Mermaids swimming about. This is due to the fact that young Mermaids are usually the size of humans until reaching teenagehood. This is the reason why both races go along so well, the Mermaids don't eat the Ichthys and the Ichthys take care of their offsprings as the sea is quite dangerous for them. This place isn't a safe haven, predators come from time to time to bite the fish-men. They do manage to drive them back, but larger ones will always include casualties and/or injured. For a human to reach this place, they would need to wear equipment made from the Ichthys to breathe underwater as the city is too deep for usual diving equipment.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will post about the Ichthys and Sea Thaniathans later.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 4:44 pm

These are great descriptions ^_^
I may use some when I get to this zone, thank you Smile
Another particularity of the sea would be its sea bed, full of gems, like the jewel river.
Back to top Go down
Chroias
Tasty morsel
Chroias

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 10:54 am

Considering that most animals blend into their surroundings, some sort of 'bewjewled serpent' would be appropriate. Humans come down looking for treasure and quick riches and are fooled by it's scales (which are bright and shiny, mimicking the seabed) They come to close and the serpent swallows them up.

Or perhaps an underwater naga along the lines of a sea snake would be appropriate. Gives you the bennifit of a nice view before getting eaten. Wink
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 11:07 am

Bewjeweled Serpent?

Ooh. Now that's deceptively clever. Good thing me and my team aren't thieves. Right, fellas?

*looks around*

Ah crud.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 6:21 pm

I really like it as well, it makes sense where they live ^_^
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The seas of Felarya
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next