Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The seas of Felarya

Go down 
+28
Zoekin-3
Anime-Junkie
Jasconius
Oldman40k2003
Jætte_Troll
TheLightLost
walkingbyself
luke112
Silent_eric
Raetsu Lord Pichu
Zoekin
SB
Chroias
Sephimink|Kyle
GREGOLE
Xeno-the-Hedgehog
Shady Knight
xlrp
Rythmear
lami
Ravana3k
jurodan@gmail.com
Pendragon
Malahite
gwadahunter2222
MukatKiKaarn
The Rev
Karbo
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
walkingbyself
Great warrior
Great warrior
walkingbyself

The seas of Felarya - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 3:51 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
Jætte_Troll wrote:
There are also small communities of seafaring Jotun on the Imoreith Tundra shores.
I want them to sing "You are a pirate!" with Fenja as the high-pitched girl who sings the two solo "chorus".

Yarr?

Wait sea going Jotun's? Now that I have to see from a safe distance of course.

Well Sean in the deeper parts of the sea yeah your right it wouldst be feasible to find "intact" wreaks of sunken ships. However (I will go on an assumption here) I would believe that the Shimmering Sea doesn't just take a sudden drop to crush depth once you leave the shoreline. But will act like the rest of every known body of water where the land will steadily decrease till it hits the continental shelf and then drop to crush depth. Also I am not an expert on oceanography and will never presume to think I am. And if I do can someone please point that out and I will correct my mistake.

So in theory you could find possible wrecks closer to the shore and underneath the water at some truly astonishing depths tat push the crush depth limit though anyone trying to look threw anything older then say a year? Would find something close to what the Titanic is. As the sea claims it and turns it into a reef and the metal will have rusted so far that it is barely there and is instead replaced by coral taking its place?

However as for aircraft carriers? I doubt you would find many if any as there are so many flying creatures around Felarya that a jet fighter simply doesn't stand a chance in my opinion. However I could be wrong and someone probably did make an aircraft carrier and it did get sunk so there is always the possibility.
Back to top Go down
http://walkingbyself.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 4:34 pm

walkingbyself wrote:
However as for aircraft carriers? I doubt you would find many if any as there are so many flying creatures around Felarya that a jet fighter simply doesn't stand a chance in my opinion. However I could be wrong and someone probably did make an aircraft carrier and it did get sunk so there is always the possibility.
Actually modern fighter jets and even not so modern jets would be quite dangerous to many flying creatures in Felarya.
Jetbikes aren't nearly as fast as some jets and they can still outrun many if not all things at top speed.
The engagement range of a jet is measured in kilometres. However unless the jet was carrying Felarya designed ordnance it may have trouble getting a missile lock on said creatures. Cannons would still be super effective though.

The real problem an Aircraft carrier faces in Felarya is logistics, assuming you can build one in the first place.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
walkingbyself
Great warrior
Great warrior
walkingbyself

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 4:44 pm

Alright updated the Myrodia coast adding more thoughts and ideas to it. However I am probably going to have to go back threw and rewrite everything again thanks to a good catch by Anime-Junkie. Though I would like to continue threw with it however I am not trying to revolutionize anything so I am going to have to rethink my thoughts on the Shimmering Sea and go back and redo a lot. However it shouldn't be to hard to find a way to fix everything and still retain more prominent ideas I have. Now where to start... scratch
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 9:30 pm

Subregion for the Shimmering Sea

Tethys Reef
Danger: Normal
Inhabitants: Mermaids

Tethys reef, unlike the reefs found in Topazial sea, is composed of a multitude of colorful sponges of all shapes and sizes instead of corals. Located along the southwestern coast of Imoreith tundra, the sponges found here are ancient indeed and some of which are believed to be thousands of years old. They can grow to be dozens if not hundreds of meters in height and encrust both the seabed and the crystalline towers that extend from it in great amounts, as well as fully smothering the many eidoron rocks that slowly float just above the seafloor, creating a constantly shifting biological maze in the process. Rich upwellings bring plenty of food and nutrients to this subregion, keeping the sponges healthy and nurturing a vast ecosystem rich in diversity. This in turn provides an excellent home for the various mermaids in the region who can raise their young here in safety.

Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 12:00 am

Another idea.

Henga's Fjord

Danger: Low-Hazardous
Inhabitants: Jotun

Though there are numerous small Jotun settlements scattered along the fjords of the coast of Imoreith Tundra, Henga's Fjord is the most established and well known. The "town" is in reality mostly carved into the sides of the cliffs on either side of the Fjord, a network of tunnels running back into the rock. The caves are divided in "rooms" and "houses" that can be quite cozy, at least compared to the cold and stormy outside. On the tops of the cliffs there are a few small plots of land for farming tough scrubs, but most of the food here comes from the ocean. The Jotun here use the shelter the fjord offers from the stormy sea to build ships from the few trees in the area. They then use these ships to explore and trade for the many good unavailable in their isolated home. They also use their ships to fish and hunt, delighting in finding the most monstrous creatures to harpoon. Though isolated, Henga's Fjord is fairly welcoming to strangers, the inhabitants being interested in hearing stories of more distant places. The Jotun here often make the journey to Iracal Island, trading mainland goods for those found only on the island.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 9:44 am

I had forgot about the Jotuns. I'm not sure how the Torinians interact with others, including the Jotuns yet. I suppose that they would all have a good relationship as long as no one has a strong dislike for the Harpies of that area.
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 11:53 pm

walkingbyself wrote:
Well Sean in the deeper parts of the sea yeah your right it wouldst be feasible to find "intact" wreaks of sunken ships. However (I will go on an assumption here) I would believe that the Shimmering Sea doesn't just take a sudden drop to crush depth once you leave the shoreline. But will act like the rest of every known body of water where the land will steadily decrease till it hits the continental shelf and then drop to crush depth. Also I am not an expert on oceanography and will never presume to think I am. And if I do can someone please point that out and I will correct my mistake.

So in theory you could find possible wrecks closer to the shore and underneath the water at some truly astonishing depths tat push the crush depth limit though anyone trying to look threw anything older then say a year? Would find something close to what the Titanic is. As the sea claims it and turns it into a reef and the metal will have rusted so far that it is barely there and is instead replaced by coral taking its place?

I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding of what happens to ships when they sink, and what "crush depth" means.
When a ship sinks, it gets deeper and deeper in the water column, and so the pressure on it increases. Any enclosed spaces will contain air at sea level pressures, but the water surrounding it is at higher than sea level pressure, and this difference in pressures must be taken up by the container (IE: the hull surrounding the closed space). At some point the difference in pressures will exceed the ability of the container, and either a hole will tear in the container, letting the water in and equalizing the pressure, or the container will collapse until the pressure inside is equal to the pressure outside, or until the new shape of the container is able to deal with the pressure differences.

But this only happens if there are enclosed spaces in the sinking ship. If all the spaces are open, the air leaks out as the water leaks in, and then the now water filled ship sinks to the bottom, essentially regardless of the pressure of the surrounding water. This is because without an enclosed space, the pressure inside the ship is equal to the pressure outside the ship, so there are no crushing forces.

Submarines have a crush-depth because they are giant steel cylinders filled with air at surface level pressure, and they have a finite ability to deal with the pressure differences between the inside and the outside of the submarine. Once they exceed that ability, the submarine either tears a hole or compacts ("gets crushed").

The only thing I haven't yet covered is what happens to the actual material that makes up the hull of the ship under high pressures. If that material is iron or steel, the answer is that essentially nothing happens as it gets deeper and deeper. Technically it gets a little more dense, but you're going to need some very fine measuring tools to discover the change in size because of that. I think nothing much happens to wood either; while it is less strong, under high pressure the water should just break in to any low pressure spots in the wood, without really affecting its overall size. More exotic materials like styrofoam will undergo stranger changes; I know that under high pressure some styrofoam like material will shrink to half its size.

So in other words, unless a ship is very air tight, or made of some really strange materials, or is sinking to impossible-on-Earth-like-planet depths (where there are confounding factors, like high pressure ice), it will come to rest on the bottom looking like it did when it was on the surface, pretty much regardless of its depth. (I have ignored one important factor though; depending on the mass and shape of the ship, it may pick up a great deal of speed on its journey to the bottom, enough in some cases to cause the hull to tear itself apart upon impact with the seabed, or even while still falling!)
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
Zoekin-3
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Zoekin-3

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 7:09 pm

I really enjoyed reading your post Oldman. It was very informative but not too hard to understand. I remember seeing that experiment with the styrofoam cup on tv.

I guess it is possible for some highly advanced craft to explore the depths of Felarya's seas in the future and I for one would love to see what they discover.
Back to top Go down
http://zoekin-3.deviantart.com/
walkingbyself
Great warrior
Great warrior
walkingbyself

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 6:33 am

HOLLY FISK BISCUITS! Well it certainly has been a long time since anyone has touched this so I guess I'll make a return to my old haunt for a short minute or two.

But back on topic. I'm surprised that after all this time no one has thought of or if they have has not made mention of or posted any ideas or material for the body of water to the south of the Felarya main land. So I'll just go out on another wing and start another Mini-thread inside of this thread for it. That is if no one has any objections to me doing the same thing as previously with the Shimmering Sea Before moving Ideas to a separate thread. sweatdrop At the moment me and Solomon are working together on some ideas for that body of water which has by and large managed to unnoticed and unspoken of for what feels like an obscenely long time now.

Also a question to all. Is it already some unsaid rule that any large body of water that connects to the sea's or oceans should maintain something to being related to Jewelery and Gems and other precious minerals found on land?

Also seeing how Felarya being the wild untamed magically infused world I don't think its to far out of the question for things such as water spouts that have enough size force and sustainability to lift creature such as Leviathans and Kraken Chalaenas to exist or Maelstroms that are able to sustain themselves indefinitely.

Well that's all I have to say for now. Either myself or Solomon will be posting something up on here soon enough. Until then stay wet! Cool
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 12:48 pm

I've thought about it briefly when coming up with my own idea, a region that is at the southern tip of the current Felaryan continent. It's in my idea thread, near the bottom, called "Land of the Mirror Sky" or something along those lines.

Well, as for treasure I think it would be cool to have it, but I don't know how many people actually risk sailing in the open sea, and if Felarya's mainlands are any indication of danger, I shudder at how the far reaches of the Felaryan Oceans look.
Back to top Go down
walkingbyself
Great warrior
Great warrior
walkingbyself

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 9:00 am

The following is what me and Solomon have come up with so far. These are not the finished products and are still being reworked and reworded. We have a few other ideas to add to the sea to the south but for now we would like to show what we have come up with. So without further ado I give you:

Amethyan Sea (Walkingbyself/ Solomon)
Inhabitants: Chalenas; Mermaids; Sea Slug Girls; Icthys; Actiniaes; Oceanic Nagas; Sea Krait Nagas; Various other non-sentient creatures
Danger Level: Normal - High
Subzones: Razor Reef (Solomon); Icathy Islands (Walkingbyself)

Spoiler:

Razor Reef (Solomon)
Inhabitants: Actiniaes, Mermaids, Nihlmarreths, Various species of corals and fish.
Danger Level: Normal - High

Spoiler:

Icathy Islands (Walkingbyself)
Inhabitants: Ichthys; Humans; Demi-Humans; Mermaids; Fire/ Magma Elementals
Danger: Low (Icathy Island) Normal - High
Areas of Note: Icathy Island

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
malssvelk
Tasty morsel

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 8:18 am

I’ve been reading the wiki and this topic and was wondering what your opinions are on this idea.

There is a substantial problem with logistics in being able to support a human navy or air-force but this may prove a solution to that, this idea is based around steam-punk tech so before i elaborate more on it would like to know if that is an acceptable fantasy for this plane.
now i’m not planing on having this new faction be expansive and only be more of a neutral faction that stays only in the Topazial sea area and only visit the other islands and coasts as needed.

future plans i was thinking of were:
-adding another semi-sentinel faction for the island of Shillapo
-and a (on paper) safer means of air transportation but would not intentionally conflict with the
Jet bike organization (if it would then it can be removed)

some reasons for adding this are:
-more fluff to the sea areas
-a means for explores, adventurers, what have you, a way to the sea floor with out relying on the leviathan meremaids, risky diving gear, or buying hazardous items from Gunther. As well as items designed to function under the crushing depths of the ocean, well not necessarily the very deepest parts(that would cost extra).

some other notes are that the faction will not be xenophobic, nor will they openly start attacking without provocation and/or justification. Also that they have a strong hold located on and under the see floor. They have ways of preventing magic being used against them as well as being able to cast only beneficial spells like lay on hands or protection from (x), and a few others from the other schools.

they do come from a primarily water world, hence the steam tech, but i can explain why they are still regular humans later.

as I said i was wondering if this would seem like an idea that could work in Felarya and if so if you would also add input and or critique. the reasons for not posting this idea in detail is I'm still refining it and if steampunk , an undersea human city, or any of these ideas don't fit, i didn't want to waste any ones time with a wall of text.
Back to top Go down
walkingbyself
Great warrior
Great warrior
walkingbyself

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 9:07 am

Actually I believe it is possible to support a navy in the waters of Felarya it just wouldn't be one similar to those you would see here on Earth. In fact I believe there is a place in this thread or else where on the New Ideas Forum portion where they discussed possible vessels in Felarya.

I would imagine "Steam-Punk Tech" would be acceptable, my only issue with the "Steam-Punk Tech" is that it sounds a little like the Dwemer's from the Elder Scrolls. Though I for one would be glad to see more "fluff" and more idea's for Felarya's seas and would like to read your ideas on what could live on and in Felarya's seas.

A little heads up ideas work better if you find ways to mesh them with currently existing ideas whether they be in Wiki or not. Also in regards to fears of big walls of text's in the "Others" button you find along the bar over where you type is a nifty feature that if you select said wall of text and go to the "Others" button and see the little world "Spoilers" you can enclose that wall of text in boxes that you can open and close when you click on them.

How to make Spoiler boxes to hide scary walls of text:

Also a word of caution when making or describing a city. Make sure you include how and why it hasn't been turned into a "all you can buffet" for predators. Whether it be magical, technological, natural, or Steam-Punk or any combination of the sort just be sure to add the how's and why's that aren't to out of this world mind blowing. Or they could be. I never can tell but I have my own theories which I shared so feel free to use or ignore or do whatever you wish with them. I wish you luck and hope to read more.

Ah! One last thing I can't stop myself from adding. Don't seek to try and control the sea as the second you think you have mastered it you will find that it quickly changes all the rules on you and you'll soon find yourself inside a Mermaid or Chalaena or some other sea creature. So treat the sea like you would a woman and pray to the powers that be that you don't find yourself inside something big and hungry. sweatdrop
Back to top Go down
malssvelk
Tasty morsel

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 1:24 pm

thanks that, that spoiler thing is rly nice. also i never rly thought of the dwemer thing, interesting.

Anyway here's what i've got so far:

The Citadel is a testament to the perfect defence. From the hardened domes to the massive defence towers, its stands against the odds and says “Just Try.”

Spoiler:

specs on some of the tech

Spoiler:

some background info

Spoiler:

This is still a rough draft so for now here's some bits of it. thanks for input.

Last edited by malssvelk on Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
walkingbyself
Great warrior
Great warrior
walkingbyself

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 9:00 am

Okay so rough draft. First there is no such thing as the perfect defense just like their is no such thing as 100% efficiency. But some of your ideas I do find rather interesting if needing a little more refinement.

You idea for Adaquantium is interesting especially in how it develops and grows. Though I can't get the thought of Yorik Coral used by Yuuzhan Vong in the later books of the Star Wars Universe sorry showing my own inner nerd there. The idea behind it sounds exactly the same in manufacturing and use. So not sure if you got the spark of the idea from that or came entirely up with it on your own and I am simply drawing similarities from my own book reading. Also how does your Adaquantium deal with Oxidization (i.e. rust) from being submerged underwater for indefinitely or near indefinitely as they would make vessel's to surface as well. I take it the fast as a tree growth is for the light version of Adaquantium?

Thermal Coils are another good idea for a defensible structure. But it sounds like it would also cook the inhabitants inside it. Also with metal if you heat it up and then freeze it over and over its going to start cracking and eventually break on its own from the extreme heat created by the coils and the extreme cold of the sea depths around it. Not sure if your Adaquantium is able to resist those sudden shits in extreme's but in most cases of metals that is a major weakness same with oxidization.

Volt Boxes... here you might have an issue with them unless they are being charged by another version of your Tesla Cannon or an incredibly large lightning rod going from the sea floor to the surface which is one hell of a weakness and not very useful or reliable. Last I checked there weren't any electrical storms underwater unless they are taking in the ambient magical energy and converting it to electrical energy. And you don't need to have them disperse energy into the ground if they are being used to charge everything around them. So why not have them linked or connected so that they can pass electrical energy between them rather then having one central point for each group of items? That way if there is maintenance being done on one Volt Box you don't suddenly lose all power or if you lose a Volt Box for whatever reason you don't have weak point in your defenses. Yes it would lower the out put of them to link and share power should one of them go down. But you wont lose functionality of a defense point immediately after the loss of a Volt Box. And they don't have to be permanent connections they could even be able to cut connection between Volt Boxes and the areas they power if the energy available to run the defenses properly drops below a certain threshold.

Your Tesla Cannons good on paper and land with open air... but not underwater. I would imagine that if they did actually discharge anything it wouldn't be a bolt of lightning as you would imagine it but rather just electrify the immediate area around it. Or they could use harpoons with cables that are connected directly to the Tesla Cannon and would give you your lightning bolt under water. Although you would still have dissipation due to the water around it but with the metallic wire you can direct the energy flow to a target more accurately and if you insulate it against the water you can almost have 0 electrical dissipation.

Spikes weaponized wrist mounted PDA's much?

Purity Seals... by chance do you play Warhammer 40k much?

The Ring that is certainly a big structure. I would imagine it gets most of its power from those Volt Boxes. EMP's aren't lethal to machines they simply disable them (I might be wrong). And a ring of metal 10 miles wide with a 5 mile radius... I hate to be the guy that has to maintain that thing. Also it seems a bit unnecessary to have a massive metal structure that big. I don't know it's just me but maybe you might want to rethink this one unless someone else can point out ways to make it work or improve it.

Also the door/ gate that big closing in 10 minutes.... I am not sure what mechanics they use or what not but something that big and that heavy would take much longer then 10 minutes I am not a numbers cruncher so I am sorry if I sound rude but no. Again with the size of it you might want to consider down sizing it by a lot that way you can keep your 10 minutes closing time.

Now that is over with these ideas all have potential they just need to be reworked. Thus why we have rough drafts and places like this to talk over them. Thanks for sharing your ideas with us all.
Back to top Go down
malssvelk
Tasty morsel

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 8:33 am

No i didn't even know about the coral when i thought of Adaquantium, i should get back to reading, and the growth rate is still something im thinking about, i just wanted a realty renewable metal source so mining would be needed.

I was picturing the thermal coils working like hydrothermal vents but with out the large amount of toxic substances.

The volt boxes are not a power supply, their meant to protect against the emp of the ring and other electrical weapons from the world they where from. They are also kind of like a key card for any one trying to get into the Citadel, well any one that needs a vessel to get to it.

The spikes are still kind of iffy i guess, i was thinking of an item for the tech people who use them to have a back up means of self defense since they wouldn't care the larger weapons of other members. And because I like having redundancies for just in-case.

<_< >_> yes, i love the warhammer 40k universe, but i sometimes get rly mad at how the derp the imperial guard in games. I know there the weakest but then give them more numbers or cut costs, idk :/. Also I'm not very good at making names, as most of these where made with my friends help.

An emp can destroy electrical equipment but if shielded then one emp won't generally effect them, that's why the ring has a consent effect (still wondering if it should strobe or just stay constant) so it renders and protection, save the volt boxes, moot. So it won't actually destroy the vehicle but with out any power the crew is done any way.

The doors size will make sense later, and as for the speed it seemed like a good one since the fastest person ran a mile in 4 minuets, then I thought that large pistons and the fact that the door is lighter under water, would be about a 10 open close time, still i'm not an engineer so it was more of a guess.

thank you for the input.

I've updated Adaquantium, Volt boxes, Tesla cannons, and added 2 new items in the tech section.
Back to top Go down
Solomon
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 10:41 pm

I wonder why no one has said a thing about the idea walkingbyself and me worked on?

https://felarya.forumotion.com/t70p150-the-seas-of-felarya
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 9:56 am

I take it most people are not interested in the idea and they haven't looked at it. Try and be patient. That's all the advice I can say.

Edit: ok, I read it. It all looks good to me. Sorry for not being able to offer more of a critique
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 3:35 pm

Heavenless-star wrote:
I take it most people are not interested in the idea and they haven't looked at it. Try and be patient. That's all the advice I can say.

Edit: ok, I read it. It all looks good to me. Sorry for not being able to offer more of a critique

Yeah, just gotta be patient. Sometimes ideas cool off for a while and don't get a lot of replies *looks towards his shrimp-people and camel people*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The seas of Felarya   The seas of Felarya - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The seas of Felarya
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7