Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Gender Issue

Go down 
+19
mangamastermind
Siafu789
Feign
Cartoon Eric
Raetsu Lord Pichu
xlrp
Rythmear
lami
Ravana3k
Spykeofkonoha
jurodan@gmail.com
gwadahunter2222
Malahite
Oldman40k2003
Pendragon
Karbo
Hunter
Feadraug
GREGOLE
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

The Gender Issue Empty
PostSubject: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 9:12 am

I figure I may as well say something to this.
As everyone knows, nearly everything in Felarya is female. It's just the way things are.

Now, the official explaination is that Felarya is filled with naked demihumans, and most of us here are either heterosexual men or homosexual women. However, it's been made abundantly clear just how intense this gender thing is, that I propose we try and compose an actual explaination for it.

There are various species of all-female animal, capable of reproducing aesexually. Some species of snake are among these.

Alternatively, some species of fish have more females than males. Like the dragons in Reign of Fire , There could be one male for every thousand females, who's responsible for fertilizing eggs en masse.

Finally, and perhaps my favorite of all, maybe Felaryan races are inherently female, and when reproduction becomes an issue, several female suddenly become male in order to reproduce, and revert back to their original gender when mating is accomplished.

Since we've got grounds to believe that all giant Felaryan fae are related, it's logical that something that applies to one race applies to most of them.

Thoughts? Ideas?
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

The Gender Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 9:18 am

The gender problems come as usually the giant demihumanoids featured in illustrations and stories are female. The explanations I have for this? Nothing original, but...

* There are male representatives of some of these races - in fact, I think there are male fairies around -, but their numbers are quite lower than female ones. These males can only have the reproductive role in many cases and also the species canibalizing these male humanoids once their 'job' is done, something like the praying mantis does.

* Some races have developed an asexual reproduction and others are even in the hermaphrodite side. But somehow, they don't show the male organs. Maybe these are hidden, only being shown for reproduction.
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Hunter
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer

The Gender Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 9:25 am

I think the book Crisis and Scarecrow has established that there are males in the world of Felarya. However, noone realy wants to see a picture of a male naga/succubus/dridder/dryad eating a human. Also, you said that we are all Strait males or homosexual women, and the giant, human eating hybrid races of Felarya don't really wear clothes. You can probably put two and two together from here.
Back to top Go down
http://X89.deviantart.com
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

The Gender Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 9:25 am

Mhh tough question..
Well like you pointed the real reason is obviously that Felarya residents goes mostly naked and eat humans, and that I don't enjoy much drawing naked males and absolutely dislike male vore ^^;

Now in official facts, I'd say there is clearly fewer males than females but they do exist ( Ask Vivian ! ).. they are just not very represented. Well that's how I see it but I am aware that's not a very satisfactory explanation ^_^;

By the way I am moving that the topic to idea discussion ^^
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

The Gender Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 9:36 am

Still, it would be good to see how this fact affects each different race in Felarya. For my race of size-shifters (still in the works, though) there are male individuals, but only serve for reproductive purpose once they reach the adult age, and also they aren't able to size-shift, so you can imagine they end like male praying mantis after they're done with their job in this life. Razz

I acknowledge there are male fairies and I suppose male nagas also exist. But it'll be interesting to see asexual or even hermaphrodite races in this world.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

The Gender Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 12:26 pm

I agree with Karbo. Not into naked males or male vore that much.

But if I were to put my two cents in it, I'd say females in Felarya are much like lions, where the females are the prime hunters and the men are there to help.

It kinda reminds me of an episode of the Outer Limits, where there are only twelve men left on Earth, and Women reign supreme. They were KINDA successful. So it is true in Felarya.

*also, who doesn't like Crisis? She's sweeter than candy, yet more dangerous than a fire demon in a dynamite factory*
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

The Gender Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 12:57 pm

Karbo wrote:
...real reason is obviously that ... I don't enjoy much drawing naked males and absolutely dislike male vore...

Now in official facts, I'd say there is clearly fewer males than females...
Well that's how I see it but I am aware that's not a very satisfactory explanation.

I think that "Males exist but they aren't drawn/written about much because we (in general) don't like male vore" is a perfectly acceptable answer to the question "Where are the men?", especially if it's just stated as such. I'm wary of changing the male-to-female ratio too far from 1:1, or making them shape changing hermaphrodites, as those changes bring up a whole bunch of questions that are hard to answer and at least to me seem to be far more complicated than simply stating that "Yes, men exist but we don't write or draw about them because we like women." (Although I could see "men getting eaten after mating" working for a few species, and it certainly seems to fit how Felarya works, it does present it's own problems.)

(And of course you could easily argue that my objections have little meaning. It's a fantasy world where a single giant naga eats at least a person a day, so for the prey populations to not become extinct they'd have to be so large that they could easily exterminate the preds, but this doesn't happen, so obviously none of the other "normal" rules have to apply either, so shutup Oldman40k and go away. Smile )
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

The Gender Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 1:00 pm

The problem with that approach is that I can't stand the "It's fiction, it doesn't have to make sense" excuse. We've already taken the effort to adress everything else, and much of our fiction has already adressed the rarity of males.
The reason for it has to be some sort of biological mechanism. We just need to figure out which one works best.

Last edited by on Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

The Gender Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 1:00 pm

All ideas have their pros and cons, so no one will tell you to shut up. Razz

The idea of males getting eating after mating is good to explain why there are some species that have very few males, but also has its problem: when is it decided to eat the male? Should there be any conditions for that? I've been thinking of that part too, and also making some notes about the idea of the culture of the race I'm working in.

But yeah: all ideas have good and bad parts and we have to face'em. ;P
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

The Gender Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 1:02 pm

GREGOLE wrote:
The problem with that approach is that I can't stand the "It's fiction, it doesn't have to make sense" excuse. We've already taken the effort to adress everything else, and much of our fiction has already adressed the rarity of males.
The reason for it has to be some sort of biological mechanism. We just need to figure out which one works best.

The usual natural reason? Males only show up in most species when it's time to mate. If the males wandered as groups when it not mating season, that would explain the lack of sightings (Lack of survivors).
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

The Gender Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 1:05 pm

Quote :
All ideas have their pros and cons, so no one will tell you to shut up.

Which is why debate is such fun.

Quote :
The idea of males getting eating after mating is good to explain why there are some species that have very few males, but also has its problem: when is it decided to eat the male? Should there be any conditions for that? I've been thinking of that part too, and also making some notes about the idea of the culture of the race I'm working in.

Well, they're animals, but they're also sentient beings. I think it should be a matter of personal choice, above all else. Depends on the relationship.
First and foremost, we have to adress why males are so rare. Presumably, the reason is the same reason in most of nature: males are strictly a reproductive mechanism, and the female is the default(the male's role as a protector in primates is a very recent development. Most Felaryan females can take care of themselves quite easily, so it doesn't seem all that logical to follow it.).

There's some possibility that there's a 'king' which mates repeatedly with different females in order to ensure reproduction. OR there may be a small number of males for the same purposes. Of course, there would need to be a designated time for mating. Presumably Felaryan females are always in heat, in order to prepare for the designated 'mating day'. This would explain why prettymuch EVERYONE in Felarya is a lesbian...
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

The Gender Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 1:27 pm

Just a question. How can you developp a universe with naked males creatures without people get suspicious toward you Question
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

The Gender Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 1:31 pm

GREGOLE wrote:
Well, they're animals, but they're also sentient beings. I think it should be a matter of personal choice, above all else. Depends on the relationship.

That's one of the ideas I've been thinking of: being a personal choice. I would ever dare to say the word 'sacrifice' to define it. Voluntary sacrifice, though. ;P

GREGOLE wrote:
There's some possibility that there's a 'king' which mates repeatedly with different females in order to ensure reproduction. OR there may be a small number of males for the same purposes. Of course, there would need to be a designated time for mating. Presumably Felaryan females are always in heat, in order to prepare for the designated 'mating day'. This would explain why prettymuch EVERYONE in Felarya is a lesbian...

For the idea I'm having and modifying as I read this topic, there should be a group of males designated for mating. Then, this would clash a bit with the concept I'm getting of "eaten after mating", but maybe it could work if there's a group of males whose lives are spared in order to procreate, as other males may help in this task but get eaten in the end.

I'll have to develope this cultural idea of this race further...
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

The Gender Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 1:32 pm

This is only a half-formed idea (with lots taken from other posts)...

The apex predators tend to live a very long time in Felarya (hundred+ years), so to avoid overpopulation the number of new apex predators must be very low. This could mean that lots of preds die young, or that they born very infrequently. I prefer the "born very infrequently" for aesthetic reasons, and if this is the case then we have part of a reason for why there are fewer men than women: reproduction happens rarely, so fewer men are needed... indeed if there were more men there would be more reproduction and the extinction of prey species, leading to the extinction of the pred species.

Also, what if Felaryan females are always ready to mate, but do not ovulate unless they've been well fed for a very long time (> year ?). This "being well fed" would indicate an excess of prey species meaning its "safe" to introduce another pred.
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
jurodan@gmail.com
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer

The Gender Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 10:24 pm

I wouldn't say there are any less males than there are females unless Karbo says so (he did, but let me make my point). Let me ask this: how many pictures have been drawn of Ferlarya? How many of them have been of Crisis and/or Anna? We're seeing a small window showing, primarily, two characters. You're not seeing the world as a whole very often.
Back to top Go down
Spykeofkonoha
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Spykeofkonoha

The Gender Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 10:47 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Just a question. How can you developp a universe with naked males creatures without people get suspicious toward you Question

*chuckles* Well, that's a question I saw coming a mile away. Anyhow, true artists don't really care what they draw so long as they do what they like. However, this is off topic and I think we should stay on the topic as much as possible people.

Hmmm... Why are there more females then males and since Vivian confirms their existence; then questions is why are they so rare? Again, Gregole has a point that there could be any number of reasons and one of the biggest hampers on this information is that we aren't able to truly know without research... Who wants to risk their lives right now and ask Vivian as to why?

Thought not... Anyhow, in nature there are many instances where there is an entirely female based species that can spontaneously become male or rather one individual out of the many becomes a male and mates or in the case of fish, fertilizes the eggs.

Still more we find Hermaphrodites and asexual species in nature as well.

The key here is to identify which is which I feel.
Back to top Go down
http://Spykeofkonoha.deviantart.com
Ravana3k
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Ravana3k

The Gender Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 12:03 am

There are some males on Felarya, the most I know are humans but as I know there are also some male-predator. I remember on the blind fairy on one pic of Karbo, if I remember right?

And well the most of my main characters are male ^^ but they are human the most time
Back to top Go down
lami
Veteran knight
Veteran knight

The Gender Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 2:47 am

GREGOLE wrote:
no your thinking too limited in this respect, the reason is we dont want to draw or write about them, what if someone does? what if you want a male naga? are we supposed to say sorry they dont exist you cant draw/write about them?

Oldman40k2003 wrote:
This is only a half-formed idea (with lots taken from other posts)...

The apex predators tend to live a very long time in Felarya (hundred+ years), so to avoid overpopulation the number of new apex predators must be very low. This could mean that lots of preds die young, or that they born very infrequently. I prefer the "born very infrequently" for aesthetic reasons, and if this is the case then we have part of a reason for why there are fewer men than women: reproduction happens rarely, so fewer men are needed... indeed if there were more men there would be more reproduction and the extinction of prey species, leading to the extinction of the pred species.

Also, what if Felaryan females are always ready to mate, but do not ovulate unless they've been well fed for a very long time (> year ?). This "being well fed" would indicate an excess of prey species meaning its "safe" to introduce another pred.

um sorry from what i remember about felarya, isnt everyone immortal to time?

thats why the mortality rate is so high?
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

The Gender Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 3:11 am

Some very interesting theories here ^_^
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

The Gender Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 3:42 am

No No No! You're all wrong *Waves fist dramatically* There are a lot more women than men because WOMEN ARE MORE FUN TO LOOK AT NAKED!

I mean, if you all want to look at loads of giant male Naga's then go right ahead and draw them Razz but would you rather Karbo draw Crisis or some random dude? The men are there - they just aren't mentioned. Just like us with good politians.
Back to top Go down
xlrp
valiant swordman
valiant swordman

The Gender Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 6:04 am

Ravana3k wrote:
There are some males on Felarya, the most I know are humans but as I know there are also some male-predator. I remember on the blind fairy on one pic of Karbo, if I remember right?

And well the most of my main characters are male ^^ but they are human the most time

Case and point. The one if not the only time a male fully showed up no one even acknowledge the guy or even talks about it.

Rythmear wrote:
No No No! You're all wrong *Waves fist dramatically* There are a lot more women than men because WOMEN ARE MORE FUN TO LOOK AT NAKED!

I mean, if you all want to look at loads of giant male Naga's then go right ahead and draw them Razz but would you rather Karbo draw Crisis or some random dude? The men are there - they just aren't mentioned. Just like us with good politians.

Thank you.

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
You simply take the arrogant approach and say "It takes a real man to to draw another naked grown mans. It proves the artist has a bigger dick and balls than the people watching. " Laughing

Spykeofkonoha wrote:

Hmmm... Why are there more females then males and since Vivian confirms their existence; then questions is why are they so rare? Again, Gregole has a point that there could be any number of reasons and one of the biggest hampers on this information is that we aren't able to truly know without research... Who wants to risk their lives right now and ask Vivian as to why?

I would be more than willing to take that job. cheers
Back to top Go down
http://xlrp.deviantart.com
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

The Gender Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 8:45 am

xlrp wrote:

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
You simply take the arrogant approach and say "It takes a real man to to draw another naked grown mans. It proves the artist has a bigger dick and balls than the people watching. " Laughing

yeah maybe.
Another question if all the felarians characters as Crisis, Vivian, Melany etc... were men at the begining , will you be interested by the universe of Felarya:?:

Why I asked that, I felt a bit weird when I imagined many karbo's artwork and scene with male characters. I will just to know your reaction.

I tried to imagine a scene with a naked male naga trying to hunt a human most of the time it will be more shocked or digusted than surprise. And one of the reaction of the human will be to attack his manhood Sad
Maybe It explain why people rarely see male predator Laughing

To GREGOLE: just a question if Ryla was a female human and Calvin a male predator how will you write your story?
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

The Gender Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 9:14 am

Just so we're clear, one of the stories established that on a male naga, the relevent organs are concealed within the body for most of the time, so it's not THAT bad.

Quote :
To GREGOLE: just a question if Ryla was a female human and Calvin a male predator how will you write your story?

Not quite sure what that really has to do with the topic at hand, but I'd imagine their attitudes would remain the same, with Ryla taking on the tauntingly evasive persona, and Calvin being the frustrated predator.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

The Gender Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 9:55 am

Why I'm asking that it's because I don't see the problem about to see male predators in Falarya. It's normal to see a male in this world except we don't care about them Very Happy

The reason could be simple due to they like to travel more than the females or they are less numerous or they meet only for the reproductions, or you can find them in the most dangerous part of the world.
By example the Naxyla Dridders you can count one male is born per one hundred females. Or their lives is shorter than the female or they die just after the reproduction. For the dryads due to their plant counterpart can create seed which a kind of clone of themselves.

They are many possiblitites about that, if you think this world lack of male predator create and developp them. It's simple.

We won't find a single and only answer, I saw many interesting ideas but the question I'm asking does everyone want to see really male predators with all the consequences it can occur like male vore and etc... Question

No one is forced to do that.

I don't think there is a necessity to say all a race is female because we don't want to see male or to say a female become suddenly a male.
When you live longer and you don't see the need of reproduction, a woman will past most of her times between women than men, and one day maybe she will do something with a man only if she find an interest.
An example Alvar was the one male in the Temi's pack because they need a protection and he was very skilled and possess the verdant fury.

I suggest everyone to watch a movie made by Pedro Almodovar, you will be surprise how in a city you see no man Very Happy

Last edited by on Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Raetsu Lord Pichu
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle
Raetsu Lord Pichu

The Gender Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 10:19 am

Hm we got an interestin topic goin on in here *nods in approval*

Well to be honest I don't mind male vore in the slightest. but in all seriousness(?) I'd go along with the "The males are there but they're alot less of them around" notion. but all the others could work too
Back to top Go down
http://pimpdaddypichu.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

The Gender Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Gender Issue
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next