Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Gender Issue

Go down 
+19
mangamastermind
Siafu789
Feign
Cartoon Eric
Raetsu Lord Pichu
xlrp
Rythmear
lami
Ravana3k
Spykeofkonoha
jurodan@gmail.com
gwadahunter2222
Malahite
Oldman40k2003
Pendragon
Karbo
Hunter
Feadraug
GREGOLE
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

The Gender Issue - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 1:06 pm

Quote :
Besides this point, every race has its own male/female ratio.

Actually, that's not true. The whiptail lizard is a species that is entirely composed of females. And it's one of the more 'normal' creatures that don't reproduce sexually.

Well... actually, in a sense, you would be right. The male/female ratio with the whiptail just happens to be 0/all.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 1:07 pm

GREGOLE wrote:
Quote :
Please remain calm...
In such arguments the one to have the last word is often not the smartest but rather the most stubborn.. which is not really a quality ^^;
I'm sorry if I came off as rude. That wasn't the intent. The intent was just to explain my point of view.

No problem, the remark was more something meant to be general Smile
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Cartoon Eric
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer
Cartoon Eric

PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 1:31 pm

If I could reiterate, the theory can be as simple as say that the male population is less then 10%. Maybe because they were picky eaters. For instance I can see how male nagas would only eat female nekos and humans because they don't like the taste of males. Whereas female nagas, as you plainly see in Karbo's pictures, they'll eat anything that has a head, two arms and two legs.
Back to top Go down
http://rycho.deviantart.com
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 1:51 pm

ErictheCartoonist wrote:
If I could reiterate, the theory can be as simple as say that the male population is less then 10%. Maybe because they were picky eaters. For instance I can see how male nagas would only eat female nekos and humans because they don't like the taste of males. Whereas female nagas, as you plainly see in Karbo's pictures, they'll eat anything that has a head, two arms and two legs.
Why not, I think a bout the picky eaters point it's maybe their ego made them things small humanoid suited better to female and they prefer to hunt wilds animals because it's more prestigious Very Happy

The real problem is not how many males predators are really but the male vore itself. The male vore is not very interesting next to the female ones and many authors felt uneasy about that. I think we can developp male characters without giving them the necessity of vore and let the females did that, in scene they catch preys to seduce and to show to female they can feed them during their pregnacy. Or the female used some stratagems to steal their preys. I would see Vivian fooling a young naga male to feed her Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 4:25 pm

Pendragon wrote:
Rythmear wrote:
No No No! You're all wrong *Waves fist dramatically* There are a lot more women than men because WOMEN ARE MORE FUN TO LOOK AT NAKED!

I mean, if you all want to look at loads of giant male Naga's then go right ahead and draw them Razz but would you rather Karbo draw Crisis or some random dude? The men are there - they just aren't mentioned. Just like us with good politians.

Thank you, Rythmear. That's the main reason dead on. I whole-heartedly agree, and couldn't have put it in better words myself.

Someone get ths guy a pint of ale! On me.

Cheers! *Drinks*
Back to top Go down
Cartoon Eric
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer
Cartoon Eric

PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 6:55 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
ErictheCartoonist wrote:
Why not, I think a bout the picky eaters point it's maybe their ego made them things small humanoid suited better to female and they prefer to hunt wilds animals because it's more prestigious Very Happy

The real problem is not how many males predators are really but the male vore itself. The male vore is not very interesting next to the female ones and many authors felt uneasy about that. I think we can developp male characters without giving them the necessity of vore and let the females did that, in scene they catch preys to seduce and to show to female they can feed them during their pregnacy. Or the female used some stratagems to steal their preys. I would see Vivian fooling a young naga male to feed her Laughing

Ya know, I can defiantly see that if one was to do a nature documentary of nagas and, hopefully, live to tell about it.
Back to top Go down
lami
Veteran knight
Veteran knight

PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 9:16 pm

ErictheCartoonist wrote:
gwadahunter2222 wrote:
ErictheCartoonist wrote:

Ya know, I can defiantly see that if one was to do a nature documentary of nagas and, hopefully, live to tell about it.

anyone can make such a documentery, given nagas feeding habbits, it would probably not be very popular with humans, lets consider humans are part of a main diet for many creatures, but also if humans made the video the success would depend on others being eaten, unless they plan on videotaping a naga sleeping doing nothing. it would be interesting to see how a naga would react to a human in a helecopter observing her every movement
Back to top Go down
Cartoon Eric
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer
Cartoon Eric

PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 9:23 pm

I can only say one thing to humans in the helicopter..."Been nice knowin' ya suckers!" Evil laugh
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 2:59 am

Just a question what about crossbreeding Question
By example the race of the Mist elf is half-breed between Elves and dragons. Maybe in certain case race may mix with another race.
What do you think Question
Back to top Go down
Feign
Marauder of the deep jungle
Feign

PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 4:31 am

Felarya is one of those universes that seems to be almost made for Darwinism, and many species could have evolved means of keeping the female to male ratio high. Making the best scenario for reproduction with the least initial number of mouths to feed.

I could picture female Dridders eating their mates after sex, leaving only the males that are strong enough to escape alive to breed again.

Nagas I kind of see them having a king system, where the males are VERY territorial to other males and are pretty much taken care of by the women of their pack (Or pride, or harem, or whatever they want to call it.) Heck, the males may live on breast milk and sex... Clearly it's good to be king.

... Damn, now I want to draw a king naga surrounded by his several dozen adoring mates. Very Happy Good to be king indeed.
Back to top Go down
xlrp
valiant swordman
valiant swordman

PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 6:23 am

gwadahunter2222 wrote:

That or if you look at vore as the ultimate blow job. Then it becomes clear why another male does not want to put another male in his mouth. lol! I'm reasonably sure most of the guys here don't want see some dude on dude vore. Wink

Feign wrote:
Felarya is one of those universes that seems to be almost made for Darwinism, and many species could have evolved means of keeping the female to male ratio high. Making the best scenario for reproduction with the least initial number of mouths to feed.

I could picture female Dridders eating their mates after sex, leaving only the males that are strong enough to escape alive to breed again.

Nagas I kind of see them having a king system, where the males are VERY territorial to other males and are pretty much taken care of by the women of their pack (Or pride, or harem, or whatever they want to call it.) Heck, the males may live on breast milk and sex... Clearly it's good to be king.

... Damn, now I want to draw a king naga surrounded by his several dozen adoring mates. Very Happy Good to be king indeed.

Laughing That is one of the best points i've seen on this thread.
Back to top Go down
http://xlrp.deviantart.com
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 7:33 am

xlrp wrote:
gwadahunter2222 wrote:

That or if you look at vore as the ultimate blow job. Then it becomes clear why another male does not want to put another male in his mouth. lol! I'm reasonably sure most of the guys here don't want see some dude on dude vore. Wink

I never say I was for male vore or a fan of guy on guy, but all I want is to developp an objective theory or suggestion without to make this world look like a "touhou" world with all the cliche which can or just to say they are all females.

If we apply this theory everyone is female It will satisfy most of us but objectively male character as "Alvar" the only male fairy in the Temi's pack would be maybe delete because his presence is a nonsense or people who develop male character without give them vore attitude would be force to stop to their idea. It's a bit selfish isn't it Question

I think there is a link between male vore and the fact we say male are fewer than female but it doubt it means they are rare or all the female will jump on the first male they see Laughing

when propose an idea, I think it should have more depth and answer to many points like:
-it's not a way to reduce the world to a simply male's fantasm and fetish (there is women who like this world)
-the fact the gender ratio can change in function of the race
-can it allow half-breed species Question
-solve the problem of the male vore
-don't make people felt uneasy or force them to give up their idea of male character
-to not be based because of the fact you saw that in the most of stories you had read

In clear what I was saying it just a suggestion not a verity, please avoid to say or conclude something I never say it can be embarrasing Embarassed

Feign wrote:

It's an interesting but if I have some doubt in that case Crisis, Anna and Vivian belong to a male naga Laughing
Back to top Go down
Siafu789
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Siafu789

PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 9:21 am

Since I'm done unpacking, I guess I should throw in my two cents.

I'm going to be blunt-I'm disappointed that this would become a serious topic. There are many other things in Felarya that merit discussion.

Karbo's initial statement-that there were plenty of males, just that he wouldn't draw too many of them-was satisfactory to me.

However, for what its worth, this did make me think about how each race handles love and sex.

I see fairies as having a male-to-female ratio roughly equivalent to ours. For one, based upon the picture gamera1985 drew, fairies seem to exist in vast numbers-in fact, I speculate that they are the dominant race, population wise. For this to be possible, they must breed relatively constantly-to do that, gender distribution cannot be heavily biased one way or another. This would also infer that they do not operate as either a patriarchy or a matriarchy-at least, neither males or females are looked down as breeding stock.

Personally, I think fairies could be described as eco-anarchists: protective of environment, strongly opposed to hierarchy of any sort. I see Nemyra as their protector-not their queen.

As for nagas, I see them-at least, human sized ones-as living in a series of small tribes. As such, I cannot make universal statements regarding gender distribution-it would vary from tribe to tribe, as each would have its own breeding practices. Some would have more females than males, others having more males than females, still others with a more or less equal distribution. Again, it would vary from tribe to tribe.

In the case of dridders, I see them as being much like their drow cousins-being either female dominated or male dominated. One gender exalted, the other viewed as mere breeding stock.

As for their giant counterparts, I cannot say-they obviously exist in far few numbers, indicating that they do not breed often. But, this says nothing of gender distribution-it could simply mean that they don't see each other often.

And, finally, on the case of male vore-come on, this is Felarya for goodness sake! Of course there are male giants-who eat little people. Evil laugh

I mean, sure we don't see them, but odds are that they exist-and considering their size, their diet should come as no surprise.
Back to top Go down
http://militant-prey.deviantart.com/
Feign
Feign

PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 4:41 am

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Feign wrote:

It's an interesting but if I have some doubt in that case Crisis, Anna and Vivian belong to a male naga Laughing
Nah, I figure the naga males wouldn't reach the same kind of sizes that the female ones would, either by biological quirk or by the fierceness of competition. Which would sadly mean Chrisis, Anna and Vivian (and others) don't have a chance of mating.

Of course, I seem to remember that Trejal is male... He's probably a bit too big for any of the giant naga girls we know and love... But still there he is.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 5:14 am

Feign wrote:
gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Feign wrote:

Nah, I figure the naga males wouldn't reach the same kind of sizes that the female ones would, either by biological quirk or by the fierceness of competition. Which would sadly mean Chrisis, Anna and Vivian (and others) don't have a chance of mating.

Of course, I seem to remember that Trejal is male... He's probably a bit too big for any of the giant naga girls we know and love... But still there he is.
Size doesn't matter you know Laughing
Back to top Go down
Feign
Feign

PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 6:24 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Aye, but you can't bust a tank with a pistol. Razz
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 6:50 pm

Feign wrote:
gwadahunter2222 wrote:

Especially if you're shooting blanks.

Look, here's my point: males exist in this world. You just don't see them often. It's not very complicated.

All I want to know is "who here is complaining about the lack of males here"?

And please don't say "we want it to be realistic". I'm pretty sure robots and nagas and snail monkeys and mermaids are as far from realistic as you're gonna get.

And as for the "Male naga king", mentioned earlier, I think that sounds awesome, if he's surrounded by females.

It reminds me of the Legend of Zelda. One male is born to the all female gerudo tribe every hundred years. This man is always their king.

That man is always lucky, if you ask me.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 7:14 pm

Pendragon wrote:
Feign wrote:
gwadahunter2222 wrote:

Especially if you're shooting blanks.

Look, here's my point: males exist in this world. You just don't see them often. It's not very complicated.

And please don't say "we want it to be realistic". I'm pretty sure robots and nagas and snail monkeys and mermaids are as far from realistic as you're gonna get.

And as for the "Male naga king", mentioned earlier, I think that sounds awesome, if he's surrounded by females.

It reminds me of the Legend of Zelda. One male is born to the all female gerudo tribe every hundred years. This man is always their king.

That man is always lucky, if you ask me.

No one is really complaining but it was too selfish to say males predator didn't exist or everyone is female just because we don't like male character and make people fell uneasy when they create a male character who will not be a human.
The gender ratio can vary between the race, and Felarya is a vast universe which offer many possibilities Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 7:17 pm

Quote :

Just because you want some way to explain it doesn't mean you're complaining about it.

Quote :

We want it to be realistic.
Even fantasy can and should make an effort to be realistic. If we can use the magic excuse to determine why nagas and chimeric races exist in the first place, we're obligated to still think of a reason for why they do what they do.
"It's magic" doesn't fly when trying to explain the reason for something. How does "magic" explain why we don't see very much male fae?

There IS a reason for why there are fewer males, and this thread exists to find that reason. I've said it a hundred times by now, and I'll say it a hundred more if I have to. Something does not happen for no reason.
There are fewer males than females in Felarya, because Karbo states this. Now, why are there? Magic and personal taste doesn't fly. There has to be a canon reason for why the females so dramatically outweigh the males. I don't care what it is, I just care whether or not anyone else cares enough to actually put any effort into finding one.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 7:33 pm

GREGOLE wrote:
Quote :

Just because you want some way to explain it doesn't mean you're complaining about it.

Quote :

Even fantasy can and should make an effort to be realistic. If we can use the magic excuse to determine why nagas and chimeric races exist in the first place, we're obligated to still think of a reason for why they do what they do.
"It's magic" doesn't fly when trying to explain the reason for something. How does "magic" explain why we don't see very much male fae?

There IS a reason for why there are fewer males, and this thread exists to find that reason. I've said it a hundred times by now, and I'll say it a hundred more if I have to. Something does not happen for no reason.
There are fewer males than females in Felarya, because Karbo states this. Now, why are there? Magic and personal taste doesn't fly. There has to be a canon reason for why the females so dramatically outweigh the males. I don't care what it is, I just care whether or not anyone else cares enough to actually put any effort into finding one.

But in the end it will be just a supposition or a theory. Due to the unstable nature of the world, its logic can be different to our logic.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 7:53 pm

Quote :
But in the end it will be just a supposition or a theory. Due to the unstable nature of the world, its logic can be different to our logic.

Karbo wants to hear our theories, so I intend to continue submitting them. The point is, there IS a reason, and just because we hae no definitive answer doesn't mean we shouldn't try to think of possibilities.

And the universe's dimensional instability has no bearing on the matter. The logic that everything happens for a reason simply cannot be escaped.

There are fewer males than females in Felarya. This has come to be established as truth.
Now, WHY? No universe - especially not one so similar to our own - would allow there to simply be more females than males. There is a reason, whether cultural, biological, or... heck, maybe the males just occasionally vanish into another dimension at times.
The point is, there is a reason for it.
Back to top Go down
lami
Veteran knight
Veteran knight

PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 8:03 pm

Quote :

who's we?
Back to top Go down
Feign
Feign

PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 9:14 pm

lami wrote:
Quote :

who's we?
And what's realistic?

And why is anyone arguing here? There wasn't a complaint, this thread is pretty much for ideas on what might be the state of Felarya's male monster population.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 10:05 pm

So you want a theory, ok.
Due to their long life span or to avoid an overpopulation many hybrid predators as nagas, males are less than the females which include few couples. The couples tend to live in place where there are few others predators even their own species to raise their children in safety until they are able to live by themselves. The male stays with his mate until one of them dies when it happen he wandered in search to a new mate.

It's different to social race like fairies, where the couple don't leave the society. The couple can be broken because one of the mate die or they grew tired of each other. A bit like a divorce.

I think it's simple, no need to tell everyone is female and they do parthenogenesis (maybe for bee/hornet girls or another kind of race) or a female become a male.

Sorry if my english is a bit clumsy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 10:22 pm

Quote :
no need to tell everyone is female

At no point did anyone imply that everyone was female.

As for your theory, that is the kind of thing this thread is about.

Though it's still not as much fun as the natural transgender theory...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Gender Issue   The Gender Issue - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Gender Issue
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next