Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Physics, YAY!

Go down 
+13
Zoekin
Feadraug
PrinnyDood
Sephimink|Kyle
Raveolution
Malahite
gwadahunter2222
Goldclaw
Karbo
Pendragon
GREGOLE
vegeta002
ZionAtriedes
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Physics - A Thorn in the Side of Storytellers?
Ohhhhh yes. Bigtime.
Physics, YAY! Vote_lcap11%Physics, YAY! Vote_rcap
 11% [ 3 ]
Not really. I don't know much physics.
Physics, YAY! Vote_lcap11%Physics, YAY! Vote_rcap
 11% [ 3 ]
Who cares about physics? Fuck physics.
Physics, YAY! Vote_lcap41%Physics, YAY! Vote_rcap
 41% [ 11 ]
Physics helps to structure the whole world. Deal with it.
Physics, YAY! Vote_lcap37%Physics, YAY! Vote_rcap
 37% [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 27

AuthorMessage
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

Physics, YAY! Empty
PostSubject: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 4:54 pm

So, I was just reading up on a little law of physics that totally puts a damper on macrophilia in general.

It's called the square-cube law. For more information, this is a good site.

As to Felaryans, I'm working on explanations. For most creatures, it's because they're naturally large, and thus have different skeletal structures. However, they'd still be vulnerable to falling, like elephants... possibly a strategy for humans to make use of?

For fairies, I'm probably gonna pull out the idea that since their size-changing is based on dimensional stretching rather than molecular change, it's sort of a loophole in physics. NOT AN EXCEPTION. Physics has no exceptions. You hear me? None. Just complicated laws that can be worked around using other laws.

Aaaaand, for those of you who are like "why can't he just use the idea of MAGIC, for God's sake", I'd simply like to say that if one thing is magical and unexplainable, that means laws have been broken, which violates other connecting laws, and then all Hell breaks loose. Okay?
Back to top Go down
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
vegeta002

Physics, YAY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 4:56 pm

Loopholes are your friends.
Back to top Go down
http://vegeta002.deviantart.com/
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

Physics, YAY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 4:56 pm

Preeeeeecisely.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

Physics, YAY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 5:41 pm

Personally, I always assumed that all giant humanoid predators are related to fairies and maintain their own personal aura that dictates the way the laws of physics affect them.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

Physics, YAY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 6:06 pm

Physics. They never quite mix with fantasy.

Sometimes, I prefer to slightly beeeend them for storytelling, at least. Though they are important to keep it at least believable.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Physics, YAY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 6:13 pm

Pendragon wrote:
Physics. They never quite mix with fantasy.

I pretty much agree ^^
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Goldclaw
Survivor
Survivor
Goldclaw

Physics, YAY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 6:16 pm

GAH!!!!!!!! Physics make my head hurt alot and i dont really know if i am using it or not but i don't like physics.
Back to top Go down
http://daren-blackfang.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

Physics, YAY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 6:33 pm

The problem with our actual physics won't explain everything in Felarya because it has been shown many time we never find absolute laws of physics each time we had to rewrite the former or developp new laws to explain things we thought impossible.
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Physics, YAY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 7:00 pm

Personally, while I don't feel one needs to go out of the way to explain physics in a realm, remaining at least somewhat consistent with them helps. I like to have a secure base of faith that if something falls it will continuously accelerate, something can only get so big before it caves in, water can only be made so hot before it turns to vapor, etc.
Back to top Go down
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

Physics, YAY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 9:24 pm

vegeta002 wrote:
Loopholes are your friends.
So is a multi dimensional / unstable dimensional world. Perhaps there are other dimensions in play all over the place in Felarya where this universe's laws of physics do not totally apply?
Back to top Go down
Sephimink|Kyle
valiant swordman
valiant swordman

Physics, YAY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 11:38 pm

Casual readers usually allow their minds to cope with fiction and fantasy when they read it. In fiction, physics don't matter in credibility as long as the basic utilization of it (or omission of it) is consistent, as Malahite mentioned-- this is why it's fiction, after all; it's not real.
Back to top Go down
PrinnyDood
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
PrinnyDood

Physics, YAY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 6:35 am

Dude, don't you know:

Physics, YAY! Crisiseatscatgirl2wp7

Laughing

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself)
Back to top Go down
http://prinnydood-abides.deviantart.com/
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
vegeta002

Physics, YAY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 6:38 am

PrinnyDood wrote:
Dude, don't you know:

Laughing

Yeah, let's not jinx any more Neko's. They have things bad with Crisis, but Crisis and Physics?
Back to top Go down
http://vegeta002.deviantart.com/
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

Physics, YAY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 8:30 am

Physics can be helpful or not. One of the things I discovered while investigating for a character of mine, not a Felaryan character... I mean another character... err... well, this character - the pic is made by a friend -, a half-giantess... Well, as I was saying, while investigating about her I found all this macrophilia fetish and also the square-cube law.

There are some ways to skip it, one of them is talking about skelleton and muscular structures. Bones can be different in some beings, so they can somehow retain their aspect instead of turning into enormous meatballs when they grow. Of course, it's a bit of a license over the whole square-cube law, but it could somehow work. Anyway, physics would still make things difficult for this character, due maybe to being heavier, which would make the character slower, for example, or even having some difficulties in other ways - not breathing well, unless his/her body can adapt itself to the size changes.

It is something fun to play a bit with physics, although it's true that fiction tends to forget about them. Also, I have the same thoughts about fairies and their size-shifting 'magic' playing with dimensions.
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Physics, YAY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 12:07 pm

PrinnyDood wrote:
Dude, don't you know:

Laughing

hahahaha XD
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Physics, YAY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 3:46 pm

Well, to add laws of physics or omit certain ones due to the idea of a different universe could have some very drastic and unforeseen effects. I prefer to avoid that.
Back to top Go down
Sephimink|Kyle
valiant swordman
valiant swordman

Physics, YAY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 3:52 pm

Most fiction writers also tend to avoid drastic and unforeseen effects by ignoring them lol!
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

Physics, YAY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 8:24 pm

PrinnyDood wrote:
Dude, don't you know:

Laughing

We must end the discussion quickly! We could be running out of catgirls as we speak!
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

Physics, YAY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 8:54 pm

Pendragon wrote:

We must end the discussion quickly! We could be running out of catgirls as we speak!

The worst thing I see it's when people use physics to explain animes with mecha Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Zoekin
Grand-pop
Grand-pop
Zoekin

Physics, YAY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 10:57 pm

Oh Katrika and I stopped believing in physics long ago.
Rotten things were spoiling our fun!
Back to top Go down
http://tanyastoviaka.deviantart.com/
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Physics, YAY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 3:28 am

[quote="gwadahunter2222"]
Pendragon wrote:

The worst thing I see it's when people use physics to explain animes with mecha Laughing
In certain regards this is plausible. It helps to have some basis as to just how powerful those crazy laser beams being fired are. The problem is that while in one episode you may see the beam do nothing to a nearby APC and put its yields in megajoules, another episode you may see a lone shot blow apart an armored company and move the yields up into gigajoules. Also, some anime's at least try to follow physics.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

Physics, YAY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 11:15 am

OR, we could just assume that my idea was right, like usual. XP
Back to top Go down
Feign
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle
Feign

Physics, YAY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 3:15 pm

Gregole, that policy is gonna bite you one of these days... Neutral

Wink
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

Physics, YAY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

No, one of these days you people taking me seriously when I do that is going to drive me to bite you...
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

Physics, YAY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 10:49 pm

GREGOLE wrote:
No, one of these days you people taking me seriously when I do that is going to drive me to bite you...

Careful you don't go near Anna when you're a biting around. Lest she get "Physical" on you with an oversized monkey wrench. (which she could totally make since she rocks)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Physics, YAY! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Physics, YAY!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next