Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Physics, YAY!

Go down 
+13
Zoekin
Feadraug
PrinnyDood
Sephimink|Kyle
Raveolution
Malahite
gwadahunter2222
Goldclaw
Karbo
Pendragon
GREGOLE
vegeta002
ZionAtriedes
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Physics - A Thorn in the Side of Storytellers?
Ohhhhh yes. Bigtime.
Physics, YAY! - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%Physics, YAY! - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 11% [ 3 ]
Not really. I don't know much physics.
Physics, YAY! - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%Physics, YAY! - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 11% [ 3 ]
Who cares about physics? Fuck physics.
Physics, YAY! - Page 2 Vote_lcap41%Physics, YAY! - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 41% [ 11 ]
Physics helps to structure the whole world. Deal with it.
Physics, YAY! - Page 2 Vote_lcap37%Physics, YAY! - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 37% [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 27

AuthorMessage
Cypress
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Cypress

Physics, YAY! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 11:56 am

also remember physics are only applicable to our universe.... cause they make our universe.... in other universes, or alternate universes, they could easily be different.
Back to top Go down
http://wowandwas.deviantart.com
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 3:13 pm

Perhaps, but it is still best to work off what we know from our world unless stated to be different in Felarya. Now, if we start seeing some Four-Dimensional ruins on Felarya, I think it's safe to start to assume something ain't quite right there.
Back to top Go down
Feign
Marauder of the deep jungle
Feign

PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 10:18 am

Just as a possible theory, it could be likely that the healing powers of Felarya are applied to a creature on a volumetric basis, giving an extra variable to the cross sectional strength that increases in line with the volume of the body.

In essence, the bones and other tissues of a giant human in Felarya would be under a constant fracture and heal cycle that mostly cancels out the greater benefit they would be getting from the larger amount of healing factor that the dimension is putting out. Therefore, it would appear that the wounds on a giant heal with the same relative speed as those on a normal human, but above a certain size, most of the healing power is going towards reinforcement, rather than healing.

Also, this would explain why the microorganisms of the realm don't soak up the vitalizing magic of Felarya to overcome the healing power on macroscopic beings and outright decimate them. They just don't have the volume necessissary to get ahead, and the square cube law instead works against them.

Of course, this still doesn't explain how giant insects can still use book-lungs or how a 3 meter tall Girridi can still ride on surface tension without having feet the size of canoes.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 12:17 pm

Support isn't even the only issue.

For one, there's the matter of signals from the brain getting to the rest of the body. A creature Crisis' size would be incredibly slow in every way imaginable because it would take so long for messages to get from her brain to, say, her hand. In real life, even assuming she could hold herself up, a bunch of crippled nekos could probably get away with playing ring around the rosy with her in the middle.

There's also the matter of blood vessels. One heart couldn't possibly pump all that blood throughout her body at a quick enough speed for it to do her much good. And if her heart were stronger to compensate, then her blood vessels would be put through so much pressure, they would burst.

Then there's also the matter of how her skin can be so tough, yet also so flexible.

NONE of it works. At all.

Which is why I maintain that large Felaryan predators have a skintight dimensional scaling aura similar to that of a fairy, but with less control.
We already know some Felaryan preds are related - look at dridders and nagas - so it stands to reason that maybe all humanoid predators originally descended from fairies.
Back to top Go down
Feign
Feign

PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 3:40 pm

GREGOLE wrote:
Support isn't even the only issue.

For one, there's the matter of signals from the brain getting to the rest of the body. A creature Crisis' size would be incredibly slow in every way imaginable because it would take so long for messages to get from her brain to, say, her hand. In real life, even assuming she could hold herself up, a bunch of crippled nekos could probably get away with playing ring around the rosy with her in the middle.
... Considering that there are already very giant animals even in the real world (though they are confined to the water due to all of the other physical strain issues) and they most certainly appear to have reasonably quick reflexes, I'd have to say "slower than crippled nekos" is quite a bit of a hyperbole. Yes, there would be a slight latency issue, but not enough of one to be crippling.

GREGOLE wrote:
There's also the matter of blood vessels. One heart couldn't possibly pump all that blood throughout her body at a quick enough speed for it to do her much good. And if her heart were stronger to compensate, then her blood vessels would be put through so much pressure, they would burst.

Then there's also the matter of how her skin can be so tough, yet also so flexible.

NONE of it works. At all.
Well, I did say bones and other tissues... Meaning that their blood vessles are nearing rupture, but healing at the same rate, and their skin is nearing rupture, but healing at the same rate that it is being damaged under normal circumstances. The strength of the heart as well could be affected by the energies, and though there would still be a huge pressure difference between a naga's head and belly scales, they are once again getting healed at the same rate that it's damaging them.

Lungs arteries, bone, muscle, nervous tissue, everything getting healed at the same rate that increases with volume to match the increased stress on these systems. With the body focusing the regeneration on the places under most hydrodynamic stress, all the way down to the cellular level, the results are the same, but the method is different.

GREGOLE wrote:
Which is why I maintain that large Felaryan predators have a skintight dimensional scaling aura similar to that of a fairy, but with less control.
We already know some Felaryan preds are related - look at dridders and nagas - so it stands to reason that maybe all humanoid predators originally descended from fairies.
Somehow, I don't think Karbo intended Fairies to have that much of an over-arcing involvement in the core structure of Felarya. Also, this goes even further from explaining giant insect species, which seem to reject fairy-style magic outright.

Of course, Karbo could totally quash this arguement at any moment with a simple, "Yeah, it's an intrinsic Felaryan property" or a "Yeah, it's a personal magic property"
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 3:56 pm

GREGOLE wrote:

I agree Felarya is a crossroad from many world so each creatures follow the physics of their own world so the idea of the aura why not or the creatures may evolve on another dimesionnal plane and the interactions are possible due to a dimesional crossing. For example the mirage of the past from the Akaptor desert there a real but you can not touch them at less you touch the sand.

GREGOLE wrote:

I more or less agree,the origins of the predators vary from a specie to another maybe some can descend from fairies but the other not. There is the possibility of an alternate species, it the case for the humans, the delurans, the miratans don't come from Earth even if they are humans we are not sure they followed the same evolution as us.
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 11:53 am

The aura thing is one of those things I were thinking for that half-giantess character of mine, although it would be a bit different from what Gregole is commenting.

But for Felaryan predators, I think it really works like that. We all know the difficulties of a giant humanoid, something that Gregole has commented in a very detailed way - and I totally agree with him since some time ago I read a scientific article about the topic. Of course, the constant healing - taking in account the Ferlayan soil's special features - Feign mentions is quite a solution, but I don't think it would work perfectly.

Fairies, of course, have this ability to alter their size with no difficulty. So we can say that her sizeshifting magic is actually more than that, right? If it really depends of a dimensional aura, then fairies sure have a great control over it. And not only their own auras, but others'. That could really explain their so-called sizeshifting magic - of course, I'm just stating the obvious. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 1:14 pm

I have serious doubt about the ideas of the aura.
1)It's true it explains the size the giant creatures but it stops here.
2)It doesn't explain the interaction between the environment and the other living beings. The interaction will depend mostly of the compatibility of the aura, you can have a human and a naga can see each other but never touch them because their respective auras don't allow that. The aura limits to the body but doesn't apply to interactions with the environment. The laws of physics are defined by a whole of the interactions of your reality, even if the aura dictate the laws of the respective reality it doesn't necessary you are "real" for the place where you are.

Feadraug wrote:
Fairies, of course, have this ability to alter their size with no difficulty. So we can say that her sizeshifting magic is actually more than that, right? If it really depends of a dimensional aura, then fairies sure have a great control over it. And not only their own auras, but others'. That could really explain their so-called sizeshifting magic - of course, I'm just stating the obvious. Razz

If we follow this logic a six inches fairy can lift a naga with one finger, why aura dictate the laws of physics apply to your body so the size it's not only factor, they can alter the entire existence.

Why I prefer a theory each creatures evolve in another dimension or plane where they are "normal", the breath the air and touch the ground of their respective planes but the interactions between each creature are due to a "dimensional crossing" It explain why a fairies doesn't gain strenght where she grows be cause she phase in another dimension or plane too

Last edited by gwadahunter2222 on Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
S-Guy
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
S-Guy

PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 1:22 pm

PrinnyDood wrote:
Dude, don't you know:

Physics, YAY! - Page 2 Crisiseatscatgirl2wp7

Laughing

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself)

*eye twitches*
*looks at cat curled up behind him*
*looks at drawings*
*changes answer*

cat
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 1:57 pm

S-Guy wrote:
PrinnyDood wrote:
Dude, don't you know:

Physics, YAY! - Page 2 Crisisetscatgirl2wp7

Laughing

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself)

*eye twitches*
*looks at cat curled up behind him*
*looks at drawings*
*changes answer*

cat
Don't make me get into a debate of how fast synapses move, the issues with blood flow, etc.

The problem here is that just about everyone wants their own reason for why it works. "It's plausible!", "Magic did it!", "There's an aura around them!", "The healing is used to repair all damage before it is too late.", etc.
Back to top Go down
Feign
Feign

PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 7:11 pm

Malahite wrote:
The problem here is that just about everyone wants their own reason for why it works. "It's plausible!", "Magic did it!", "There's an aura around them!", "The healing is used to repair all damage before it is too late.", etc.
Mal, your words have the weight of truth.

Of course, this situation is really begging for intellectual head on collisions, but many of us around here have cosmological pimp hands that swing with the power of SCIENCE(!)... So this was bound to be a problem.

And yes, I'm drunk.
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 2:34 am

Then we should just find a way to reach something we all agree with... Bad thing we can't reach that point so easily. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 7:55 am

That's correct Laughing
The more important as Malahite said it's to be consistent in the story we are writing.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 9:05 am

Agreed. But don't forget that things you think are impossible can indeed happen. Physics can change with the right conditions.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 5:23 pm

Pendragon wrote:
Agreed. But don't forget that things you think are impossible can indeed happen. Physics can change with the right conditions.
Like how you can drop an Egg from a certain height from a Helicopter, and it will bounce once before it breaks?
Back to top Go down
S-Guy
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
S-Guy

PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 8:31 pm

Malahite wrote:
Pendragon wrote:
Like how you can drop an Egg from a certain height from a Helicopter, and it will bounce once before it breaks?

I didn't know that one. I'm still siding with cat-girls/nekos, no matter who tries to explain it.

*realizes he probably just gave everyone a huge weakness*

Erm. Please disregard? Sad
Back to top Go down
lami
Veteran knight
Veteran knight

PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 5:14 am

ZionAtriedes wrote:
So, I was just reading up on a little law of physics that totally puts a damper on macrophilia in general.

It's called the square-cube law. For more information, this is a good site.

As to Felaryans, I'm working on explanations. For most creatures, it's because they're naturally large, and thus have different skeletal structures. However, they'd still be vulnerable to falling, like elephants... possibly a strategy for humans to make use of?

For fairies, I'm probably gonna pull out the idea that since their size-changing is based on dimensional stretching rather than molecular change, it's sort of a loophole in physics. NOT AN EXCEPTION. Physics has no exceptions. You hear me? None. Just complicated laws that can be worked around using other laws.

Aaaaand, for those of you who are like "why can't he just use the idea of MAGIC, for God's sake", I'd simply like to say that if one thing is magical and unexplainable, that means laws have been broken, which violates other connecting laws, and then all Hell breaks loose. Okay?
I was going to go with Magic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Physics, YAY!   Physics, YAY! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Physics, YAY!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2