Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Felaryan Djinn

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
dlausactor6373
Great warrior
Great warrior
dlausactor6373

Felaryan Djinn Empty
PostSubject: Felaryan Djinn   Felaryan Djinn Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 4:27 pm

This is an idea I came up with while watching Wishmaster.

The Djinn are a mysterious and powerful race that is often classified as the genie's "sister race" because of their similarities. Like genies, Djinn are incredibly powerful spellcasters, they can be bound into service through a powerful command spell, and they have the power to grant wishes. Unlike genies, Djinn are not completely made of magic. They possess the ability to take a flesh-and-bone physical form after they've been summoned.

Another major difference is that Djinn are not born Djinn. They are formed after the death of an individual, as long as the individual, pred or human, is a powerful mage or is blessed by the Guardians and given a second chance. The mage must cast a certain spell before dying that gathers all their magic into their heart. This spell is only known by highly experienced mages, like the chibi vampire Tanya, who mastered it after over half a century of study, and can also be directed at other individuals rather than the caster itself. After death, the mage's heart is transformed into a blood-red crystal if the spell is powerful enough. As the body decomposes or is digested, the crystal remains, unable to be destroyed by conventional means.

Once the crystal is found and rubbed, possibly by a passing traveler looking to make a profit from it, the Djinn is awakened and freed from the crystal. After being awakened, Djinn can wander Felarya freely. However, they can only be seen by one person they want to be seen by. They then try and persuade the person in question to wish for something so they can grant it, but the wish cannot affect the balance of Felarya. For example, Djinn cannot grant wishes like "I wish all the preds were gone." or "I wish Negav was defenseless.", as those wishes would shift Felarya's balance to either the pred or prey side. Djinn also can't grant wishes like "I wish you would destroy yourself." because they themselves cannot die. Indeed, they're already dead. If a Djinn grants three wishes for one person, they can return to life. However, there is a catch--for every wish that is granted, someone's life is forfeit. Most of the time, the life in question is that of the wisher. As an example, I will use a scenario where someone wants to be beautiful forever. The Djinn would "grant" the person's wish by turning them into a statue or mannequin, thus keeping the person beautiful forever. Or, the Djinn would teleport the person into the vicinity of a beautiful Felaryan pred like Vivian, resulting in the person getting eaten and becoming a part of a beautiful creature through their digestion. There are some instances, however, where someone else's life is taken instead of the wisher. For example, if someone wishes their loved one cured of a fatal disease, someone else close to the wisher would be killed by the disease. However, another restriction the Djinn have is that they cannot grant a wish for a specific person's death. Djinn and their crystals cannot be digested, so they will often change their size, fly or jump into a predator's mouth and down its throat unseen, and wait in its stomach for some random victim to come along so that person can wish themselves out of the pred's stomach and so the Djinn can come one step closer to getting back its former life.

The form a Djinn takes depends on what it was before it died. Each type of Djinn has two different forms: a flesh form and a lich form. If the circumstance of a wish leads to the death of the wisher, often times the Djinn will cut off the skin from the victim's face and use it to restore its flesh form, the form it took when it was alive. The lich form of a Djinn usually varies depending on the individual's heart. For example, let's say that at some point Crisis was somehow killed and was allowed to become a Djinn. Because of her pure heart, Crisis' lich form would retain an attractive and beautiful quality, but it would still be slightly downgraded from her flesh form. On the other hand, if a pred or human with a vile, cold heart became a Djinn, their lich form would be extremely grotesque and deformed, reflecting the deformity of the person's heart.

Djinn have only one weakness: their crystal. While digesting, shooting, slashing, or crushing it won't even put a scratch on it, the crystal can still be harmed by magic or enchanted weapons. This is why Djinn express a great deal of discomfort around magical beings like succubi, elementals, fairies, and angels and choose to stay far away from them whenever possible. If the spell or enchantment is powerful enough, it could destroy the crystal. If a Djinn's crystal is destroyed, the Djinn is destroyed along with it.

I'm interested in what people think of this and am open to suggestions. Thank you, Malahite, for helping me expand on this.

Last edited by dlausactor6373 on Sun May 09, 2010 6:45 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Felaryan Djinn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Djinn   Felaryan Djinn Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 5:48 pm

First: I like the idea, it's unique when it comes to Djinn. First thing I thought was "Less ugly liche with more limitations". Furthermore, while they want their wish-recipient to die, it seems that - unlike many other Wish-granters, you don't have to be stupid-careful for what you wish for. "'I wish I was rich!' *Has their name turned into Rich*" doesn't look like something they'd do, but instead more subtle machinations.

Second: I don't like how it seems to be an innate spell learnt automatically once skilled to a certain point in magic. Furthermore (as an example), since it's restorative magic (or technically, Necromancy / Alteration) and Vivian is skilled mostly in offensive, illusion, and dominative spells, it furthermore seems like a spell you don't even need to be in the field of: I could be a very accomplished wizard in enchanting items, and it seems that once I get to a certain level of skill I could instantly comprehend how to turn myself into a Djinn. Tanya makes a little more sense as she's been trained by another mage, has studied the ruins of an ancient culture and could potentially have found some clues there, as well as cheating death on Felarya twice before.

Third: Because of their vulnerability to the magical and the cheating of death, maybe you could work in a paranoia of things such as Succubi, Angels, Ghosts, etc.

Lastly: Perhaps a limit to their power should be stated? Like them only being capable of effecting things within a certain area, up to a certain degree, etc. One major problem with wish makers will always be stuff like "I wish all the Predators were gone!" (by a prey species) and "I wish Negav lost its crystal and wall!" (by Preds), and allowing anyone to do that effortlessly is just asking for some people to abuse it.
Back to top Go down

Felaryan Djinn
Page 1 of 1