Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General Q and A

Go down 
+65
Stabs
Rezec
macdaddy
Lobo
Pim18
asaenvolk
X
space_samurai
PrinnyDood
zersergathant
Black Aquila
Sehoolighan
Black Hole Fragment
Solomon
M19Kamikaze
Tuc135
GREGOLE
Vaderaz
Darkstorm Zero
buddha66667
French snack
Zillachary
thejackle123
Warrior3000
Krisexy26
walkingbyself
luke112
ginbug
Prof.Nekko
Malahite
Malhavoc Shade
Shadeofheave
CauldronBorn24
moonlight-pendent13
JonathanS223
Cowrie
kaitheguy1234
EdgedWeapon
Pendragon
ravaging vixen
gwadahunter2222
Jætte_Troll
Kai Leingod
Salvyrn
timing2
aethernavale
Oldman40k2003
dragonjaj
sparkythechu
MrNobody13
AisuKaiko
Slimetoad
Grave
Archmage_Bael
itsmeyouidiot
codaman
Feadraug
TheLightLost
rcs619
ZionAtriedes
DaNoob13
Shady Knight
Karbo
Anime-Junkie
Jasconius
69 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

General Q and A - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 14 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 5:55 pm

I believe necromancy and/or the dark arts could be debated in another thread if you guys really want to discuss it.

Its kind of dragging this Q & A thread off its purpose ^^;
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 6:10 am

I'm gonna throw another question about phantom elves.

We know they live in one of the "dark zones" of Felarya like Evernight, and their dark zone, Sunfall Thicket, has ambient magic. Do phantom elves develop the ability to see in absence of light and let's say they move from low light to normal light somewhat abruptly, would they be blinded and dazzled for a little while?
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Grave
Marauder of the deep jungle
Grave

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 9:05 am

What about raising the dead through the alteration of time....

Wasn't something like this done to Anna?

Which opens up a whole new can of worms.... is time magic and time travel permitted in Felarya?
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 10:02 am

That was more like Reality Warping than anything.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 10:37 am

Sean is right, it was reality warping. Possibly a bit of time manipulation too.

As for time travel, just look at the Akaptor desert.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 12:16 pm

Grave wrote:

Which opens up a whole new can of worms.... is time magic and time travel permitted in Felarya?

I don't think Anna actually died. I think she got changed right as the digestion was starting. The last we see of her in that comic is where her clothes are starting to dissolve. I think all she got was a decent stinging sensation out of it, and nightmare fuel for years to come (I really do think she'd have nightmares about it sometimes. That kind of thing is just horrific).

Besides, what happened to Anna was some wierd bend in space and time. The only person in Felarya that could probably come close to do that is Notys, and she plays by a different set of rules than everyone else. No mage is going to be able to bend reality that way. Fairies come the next closest, with their scale magic...but even then, it's effects are very limited, and only Fairies can do it. So yeah, with Anna it was either some very random fluke...or Notys was passing somewhere near by (Her mere prescense can destabilize space and time near her. Whole regions have gotten completely shifted and changed just by her passing by).

The only form of time travel permitted in Felarya is in the Akaptor Desert, and even then, only in certain unstable parts of it. Time travel is just as out of reach for magic as it is for science. For good reason too, since time travel almost always causes more problems than it solves.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 1:38 pm

rcs619 wrote:
Grave wrote:

Besides, what happened to Anna was some wierd bend in space and time.
If you look at the Minkowski Space model of spacetime, time can be looked at as a dimension, or direction, just like the three dimensions which make up visible space. In fact, the passage of time could be considered a sixth sense, since even blind and/or deaf people can still mark time.

Now, in my opinion, Felarya is situated at a position where spacetime is somewhat... warped. Or, perhaps Felarya isn't one single locus, instead existing as several loci that are linked by imperceptible "folds" in spacetime. This overlaps with Eiinstein's theories on gravity, in which matter creates a "dent" in spacetime relative to its mass. When two "dents" come close together, a "tunnel" may be formed, destroying most matter but perhaps transitioning some as well. Warp portals and teleportation could be achieved by creating minuscule "tunnels" in spacetime using similar mechanics.

I know, it's disorganized right now (I've been meaning to clean up the entire theory and put it on here), but I keep procrastinating. An older version of my theory, which is still mostly the same, is here. The main problem is that I think I didn't do the best job of explaining it back when I was seventeen.

The point I'm trying to make is that spacetime overlapped upon itself, effectively undoing the previous event. The "turned into a naga" part... well, that's harder to explain.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 1:55 pm

In the comic though I got the impression it was trying to show that Anna had been totally digested.

But, regardless, Notys then stepped in and gave reality a beating. Does this count as necromancy? I don't know. Seems more like editing of reality.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 1:59 pm

Notys punched the walls of reality because she lost a bet against Trejal. Razz
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 2:07 pm

ZionAtriedes wrote:
rcs619 wrote:
Grave wrote:

Besides, what happened to Anna was some wierd bend in space and time.

The point I'm trying to make is that spacetime overlapped upon itself, effectively undoing the previous event. The "turned into a naga" part... well, that's harder to explain.

I always assumed it was because of her close proximity to Crisis. Really there are two possibilities, I think...depending on what really happened.

!: Anna didn't die: The space-time anomaly happened before Anna actually died. She experienced some pain and some nightmare fuel, but didn't actually get digested. During the space-time reversal, her own genetics got jumbled up with Crisis because she was in such close proximity to her. Kind of similar to how the scientist in "The Fly" got his DNA mixed with that of a house fly. This is potentially supported by the fact that, one, Anna is EXACTLY the same height as Crisis...and two, her tail is a shade of blue, as is Crisis' tail.

2: Anna did die: This possibility assumes that the space-time anomaly happened some time after Anna was eaten... and she had already died, been digested, and partially absorbed into Crisis' body when it happened. The space-time anomaly reversed this, and in reconstructing Anna's body, incorporated elements of Crisis' DNA by mistake, resulting in a naga body that is exactly the same height as Crisis and has a tail that is a shade of blue.

Either way, I don't imagine Anna would know. She would have felt stinging and pain, and then passed out. She would have no way of knowing if she actually died or not.

Quote :
But, regardless, Notys then stepped in and gave reality a beating. Does this count as necromancy? I don't know. Seems more like editing of reality.

I don't think it would. The space-time anomaly didn't actually raise the dead, it just altered the timeline to where Anna was never eaten in the first place, and is now a naga for some reason.

I doubt Notys did it on purpose either. She probably wouldn't care about a single human. I see three possibilities as to why it happened at all.

1: Comeplete, random chance: Notys wasn't involved, and it was just a freak space-time anomaly. Anna's official bio states that this makes her one of the luckiest indiividuals in the history of the universe.

2: Notys was indirectly involved: Notys is a living space-time anomaly. It is canon that whenever she passed through somewhere, wierd things always occur in her wake, and there are plenty of rumors of entire regions, islands and so on that have been completely changed or shifted around just from her getting close to them as she passes by.

3: Notys was directly involved: I see this as the least likely, since I really doubt she would care enough to help. The only reason I could see is that, maybe she thought it would be funny, and did it just to see what would happen. It has been stated that Notys thinks differently than a creature from our plane of existance, so it is likely that her sense of humor is quite different as well.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 2:19 pm

Either way, Anna is now stuck in a naga body because it's as if she was always a naga and grew up as such (the wiki mentions that her body already has experience, so that would imply that it got hurt, moved and became stronger), so it's really more akin to reality being rewritten by a cosmic retcon which may or may not have involved Notys in some fashion. Other thing: her little comic bio said that after said event, it makes her only the 4th luckiest person in existence. Who would be the three luckier persons and how do you top what happened to Anna in terms of sheer improbability?
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 4:39 pm

Um, well, existence is sort of infinite, so really, the possibilities for the three more luckiest people are.... infinite.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 4:49 pm

Fair enough.

Other question: Is it common for nekos, even if they live in villages or bigger communities, to be bare foot?
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 6:15 pm

Well, Minalca is probably the first luckiest (if she counts as a person), especially if she was a mortal-turned-divine like some in fiction / mythologies are (You don't get much luckier than becoming the one in control of all luck).

From there, it's iffy. Anna's "lucky" insofar as she became an Apex Predator and avoided death. But there were a lot of drawbacks to her change as well (as well as the situations leading up to it). If Minalca's included in the top four, that leaves two people between Anna and Minalca, and I'd guess that this would be kept that way specifically for vagueness (potentially even be a key religious matter at some points, especially amongst those who worship Minalca).
Back to top Go down
itsmeyouidiot
itsmeyouidiot

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 11:18 am

If Felarya doesn't have a sky of its own, how exactly is it able to prevent excess radiation from whatever sun/suns it is using from frying the plane?

Does Felarya have an ozone layer?
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 11:20 am

It probably uses the one from the world it's connected to.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 11:51 am

Felarya has an atmosphere, it doesn't have 'space.'
Felarya connects to an area of space the correct distance from a random suitable star for it to be heated and lit properly.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 11:57 am

wait, that raises another question: since it doesn't have space, and the sun that's 'borrowed' so-to-speak is located a safe distance away, then what's in between the top of the atmosphere, and where the sun is? you cant really say it's nothing, since space essentially IS nothing. It's why I thought that the light and warmth was borrowed and not the sun itself, because then the sun would have to be located too close to felarya, otherwise the atmosphere would be way to high up.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 12:12 pm

The issue is, if there's no space, there has to be a ceiling. Whether that ceiling is one massive portal (which would then technically give it a "space", just one that changes / could leave you no mean to return), a literal "ceiling" to the plane (which would start going into odd physics formulas and theories I don't have the time to bother with), or something else is up for debate, but there'd have to be some sort of "roof". That, or it would extend infinitely upward, but then that has the issue that at some point you would eventually achieve a space-like condition through the lack of atmosphere, air, and so on.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 1:53 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
wait, that raises another question: since it doesn't have space, and the sun that's 'borrowed' so-to-speak is located a safe distance away, then what's in between the top of the atmosphere, and where the sun is? you cant really say it's nothing, since space essentially IS nothing. It's why I thought that the light and warmth was borrowed and not the sun itself, because then the sun would have to be located too close to felarya, otherwise the atmosphere would be way to high up.

Quote :
The issue is, if there's no space, there has to be a ceiling. Whether that ceiling is one massive portal (which would then technically give it a "space", just one that changes / could leave you no mean to return), a literal "ceiling" to the plane (which would start going into odd physics formulas and theories I don't have the time to bother with), or something else is up for debate, but there'd have to be some sort of "roof". That, or it would extend infinitely upward, but then that has the issue that at some point you would eventually achieve a space-like condition through the lack of atmosphere, air, and so on.

This has been established for a while. There is an atomosphere, and all the different layers that constitute one. If you fly up to the very top of the Felarya atmosphere, you eventually exit through the portal that makes up the entire sky, and wind up at a random point out in empty space. If you look back, all you will see is more empty space, as the portal only goes one way.

Quote :
The Felaryan plane
Felarya, despite its initial appearance, is not a world in the sense of the word that we are familiar with. It's a closed pocket plane, with an ever-changing mass. The easiest way to picture Felarya is to think of it as a massive, flat disk. Forming a ring around the perimeter of the disk is a massive dimensional rift. This rift connects to the opposite side of the rift. Because the connection is instant and impossible to detect by any normal means, this gives Felarya the appearance of a spherical world, and it is indeed possible to circumnavigate Felarya, if you can survive the trip.

The next main feature of the Felaryan dimensional plane is the sky itself. Felarya has no “space” around it like a normal world would. There is no way to view it from space. The sky of Felarya is divided into layers, like the atmosphere of a normal planet, but at the point where you would enter into orbit on a normal world, is a massive dimensional rift in the sky of Felarya. Once you pass through this rift, you leave Felarya and appear at a random point in the empty space of the universe. For example, if you were to fly straight up in a rocket, you would eventually reach the rift and pass through. If you only looked straight ahead, it would appear to you like you’d simply flown into orbit and entered space. Upon looking behind you, all you would see is empty space, since you have left Felarya through the rift. Once you exit this way, there is no way back.

Of course, if Felarya has a vertical barrier to its plane, there must also be a subterranean one as well. The ground of Felarya is layered and structured similar to a normal planet’s. But if you were to dig down deep enough (many miles) you would pass through the subterranean rift. You would then appear several miles under the ground of a random planet in the universe. If you kept looking straight ahead, you would just seem to be digging like normal, but once you pass the rift, looking back would only reveal a wall of dirt. Felarya would be gone and you couldn’t go back. This scenario is highly unlikely though, since it would be nearly impossible for any living creature, or machine to dig that deep.

Note that the image of a flat disk is only meant as a way to better understand this theory and Yarblek himself never said Felarya actually formed a disk.
- The Wiki

That whole page is full of interesting info. http://felarya.com/wiki/index.php?title=Physics
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 2:16 pm

Quote :
The next main feature of the Felaryan dimensional plane is the sky itself. Felarya has no “space” around it like a normal world would. There is no way to view it from space.

That means that there is no way for light from a star to reach it. For there to be a visible sun, it would have to be located within the atmosphere, which would end up burning all of felarya up.
Back to top Go down
itsmeyouidiot
itsmeyouidiot

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 2:17 pm

Maybe the portal lets light through, but nothing else?
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 2:20 pm

I'm surprised that people forgot this. The atmosphere and the sky have been in the wiki for a while. Even before it was developed in the physics thread the idea was pretty much the same.

rcs619 wrote:
as the portal only goes one way.
The Wiki wrote:
The only way to do it would be to fire randomly into space and hope the shot would pass through a dimension currently connected to Felarya and hit it from there. Assuming that the universe is infinite, the chance of this would be one in... infinity.
The Wiki wrote:
If you only looked straight ahead, it would appear to you like you’d simply flown into orbit and entered space. Upon looking behind you, all you would see is empty space, since you have left Felarya through the rift. Once you exit this way, there is no way back.

Sure is contradiction around here.
One says that you can pass through both ways, the other doesn't.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 2:27 pm

the portal is supposed to go one way right? from the felarya side, not the "space" side, which means that there's still no medium for light to travel to from the sun that's supposed to be visible from a space that doesn't exist within felaryan context, to warm up the dimensional plane that is supposed to receive light from the side of the barrier that nothing can get through. point.

so how does light (and the visible star "borrowed") access felarya?
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 14 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 2:27 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Quote :
The next main feature of the Felaryan dimensional plane is the sky itself. Felarya has no “space” around it like a normal world would. There is no way to view it from space.

That means that there is no way for light from a star to reach it. For there to be a visible sun, it would have to be located within the atmosphere, which would end up burning all of felarya up.

Of course the star isn't located within the atmosphere. The sky portal is wierd. It lets the light from the stars and moons its connected to through, but if you go through it, you cannot come back. Its something in the way the portals work, just like how Felarya will only connect to compatible worlds. its some kind of safeguard.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 14 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Q and A
Page 13 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next