Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General Q and A

Go down 
+65
Stabs
Rezec
macdaddy
Lobo
Pim18
asaenvolk
X
space_samurai
PrinnyDood
zersergathant
Black Aquila
Sehoolighan
Black Hole Fragment
Solomon
M19Kamikaze
Tuc135
GREGOLE
Vaderaz
Darkstorm Zero
buddha66667
French snack
Zillachary
thejackle123
Warrior3000
Krisexy26
walkingbyself
luke112
ginbug
Prof.Nekko
Malahite
Malhavoc Shade
Shadeofheave
CauldronBorn24
moonlight-pendent13
JonathanS223
Cowrie
kaitheguy1234
EdgedWeapon
Pendragon
ravaging vixen
gwadahunter2222
Jætte_Troll
Kai Leingod
Salvyrn
timing2
aethernavale
Oldman40k2003
dragonjaj
sparkythechu
MrNobody13
AisuKaiko
Slimetoad
Grave
Archmage_Bael
itsmeyouidiot
codaman
Feadraug
TheLightLost
rcs619
ZionAtriedes
DaNoob13
Shady Knight
Karbo
Anime-Junkie
Jasconius
69 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

General Q and A - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 2:59 pm

The height thing was always a point of contention with me, and I've thought about it on occasions when comparing Felarya to other 'macro/micro' universes. A human being 6' tall to a 200' giant would be like if a 6' tall person were holding a person that was 2.16" tall. A giant that is only 75' in height holding a 6' tall person would be like holding a person that was 5.76" in height.

Now imagine someone like Crisis that can eat an entire caravan of humans in one go, storing them all in her human stomach. That would be like you eating several 6" subs whole (though admittedly a sub would be wider than a human, so we'll say that one 6" sub is like 3-4 people huddled together, fair?).

Now, I don't know about you, but I can't swallow something that's nearly 6" in one go. Definitely not whole. Yet that's exactly what happens in Felarya. I find it much easier to imagine you eating something 2.16" in height, especially if you're moving it about the mouth and playing with it, tasting it, etc.

When you're talking about a smaller macro pred, like Nikita who is 35 ft tall, we get even more extreme. A 6' tall human to Nikita would be like someone 6' tall eating something 12.34" in length. Now I know we go the whole stretchy throat thing, but it is pushing the letter of the law without talking about same size vore. Not that some people aren't into that - I'm just not one of them.

This is just something that has always bugged me which is why originally I had Reya's height pegged higher. I had tried to apply terms of scale to real life - Reya's adult size should be large enough that she doesn't think of humans as 'food' items, but 'light snack' items. At 92' high, a 6' tall human to Reya would be like a 6' tall human holding something 4.70" - which could easily still be a meal for her. In the past I hit the "I Believe" button, but yeah...
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 3:06 pm

Nagas are snakes, you can at least give them that. For the rest, it sounds like nitpicking. I know there's some site where you can put a person't height there, and Crisis comes out as pretty damn massive compared to a normal sized human. I forgot the name of the link, though.

https://felarya.forumotion.com/t1931-most-wiki-characters-size-chart?highlight=size

I just wish I could see a better comparison between Aurora and Lea, as they're too far apart in the pick to properly assess.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 3:24 pm

aethernavale wrote:
The height thing was always a point of contention with me, and I've thought about it on occasions when comparing Felarya to other 'macro/micro' universes. A human being 6' tall to a 200' giant would be like if a 6' tall person were holding a person that was 2.16" tall. A giant that is only 75' in height holding a 6' tall person would be like holding a person that was 5.76" in height.

Now imagine someone like Crisis that can eat an entire caravan of humans in one go, storing them all in her human stomach. That would be like you eating several 6" subs whole (though admittedly a sub would be wider than a human, so we'll say that one 6" sub is like 3-4 people huddled together, fair?).

Now, I don't know about you, but I can't swallow something that's nearly 6" in one go. Definitely not whole. Yet that's exactly what happens in Felarya. I find it much easier to imagine you eating something 2.16" in height, especially if you're moving it about the mouth and playing with it, tasting it, etc.

When you're talking about a smaller macro pred, like Nikita who is 35 ft tall, we get even more extreme. A 6' tall human to Nikita would be like someone 6' tall eating something 12.34" in length. Now I know we go the whole stretchy throat thing, but it is pushing the letter of the law without talking about same size vore. Not that some people aren't into that - I'm just not one of them.

This is just something that has always bugged me which is why originally I had Reya's height pegged higher. I had tried to apply terms of scale to real life - Reya's adult size should be large enough that she doesn't think of humans as 'food' items, but 'light snack' items. At 92' high, a 6' tall human to Reya would be like a 6' tall human holding something 4.70" - which could easily still be a meal for her. In the past I hit the "I Believe" button, but yeah...

Keep in mind, Crisis' height, and the average we use for pred height in Felarya is very old. You can look at Karbo's art, and even the mangas, and see that they are depicted larger than their height stats say they should be. Lea ends up being about as big as one of Crisis' fingers. Technically, that would put her closer to 100ft tall.

I still think the wiki heights serve their purpose though. They give us a solid, stable height range. If we wanted to get the real heights of the various predators 100% right...well, that would take major re-writes in the wiki, as well as changing the average pred height...which has kind of become a commonly known, and deeply entrenched stat wtihin the community.

I personally like the larger sizes depicted in recent art and the mangas. It makes the predators seem a lot more powerful and imposing, and makes the vore a bit more believable.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 3:38 pm

This is something that should be adressed, the fact that giants in Felarya are larger than detailed.

To illustrate my point:
Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Yes I know that they're not the same character but the sizes are similar enough. My point is that over time the sizes of Felaryan giants have been adjusted over time, as you can see in Exhibit A humans appear to be much larger relative to Crisis than the adventurer appears to be in comparison to Vivian in Exhibit B.

Something's wrong somewhere.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 4:05 pm

The distending jaw of a naga gives them an advantage to be sure, however we aren't talking about mass comparisons. Noone is in doubt that Crisis would be one massive creature to a human standing at ground level. The question is, can a typical giant of approximately 50~100 feet easily eat a human being that's 6' tall? Mathematical comparisons show otherwise. How wide is your mouth when you open it? How deep is it? It is difficult to find averages online, seems to not be something measured often. The widest mouth in the world is 6.693" (17cm) across according to GBWR.

So, I had to use my own.

I typically open my mouth approximately 2" across (1.5" tall), though I can get up to 2.5~2.7" (2.1" tall) if I try - but this is obviously uncomfortable. I am almost exactly 72" tall, so this works out well for the comparison ratio. I can get about 3.25" in my mouth before gag reflex. All of these measurements were done either with string and a ruler, with a measuring tape, and always using a mirror. Also, width and height are measured by inner lips, so there is some buffer room here for inside the mouth (the teeth and cheeks). Now, let us scale up.

If my mouth measurements were applied to a 100' giant, direct scaling only, the dimensions of the open mouth would be as follows: normal - 33.3" wide, 25" tall, 58.3" deep; stretched - 45" wide, 35" tall, 58.3" deep. For a 200' giant, we just scale up double. So, in feet, what are those measurements - 2.775 ft wide, 2.083 ft tall, and 4.8583 ft deep. With some buffering we can probably get up to around 3.0~3.4 ft wide, 2.3~2.6 ft tall, and still roughly 5 ft deep. With the GBWR title, that measurement upscaled would be 111.5" across, or 9.295 ft. If you view the images/videos of that guy you can see this is nowhere near a normal mouth for the given size of the person wielding it.

If we look at Anko, we can see this well. There are some good shots of humans and Anko, and while Karbo's not drawing with his protractor and ruler in hand we can analyze a bit here - Anko is listed as 110'. That's closer to what is actually shown, but currently Anko is listed as one of the 'big' preds.

Regardless of the work it would entail, the point to be made here is that attempting to argue against a 200' giant on the realm that it is too tall for interactions given wiki measurements when a 200' tall giant would be more accurate given how pictures are being drawn of Felarya, is the epitome of hyperbole to quote a particular comedian. Instead of 50~100' it would be more accurate for them to be 100~200' in height, with 200' being the top end.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 4:07 pm

Did you even look at the size chart? I don't think anyone is willing to look at all of their story and edit the size just because it isn't accurate.
Back to top Go down
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 4:13 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
Did you even look at the size chart? I don't think anyone is willing to look at all of their story and edit the size just because it isn't accurate.

Yes, and yes. I have viewed several of the different size charts (there happen to be more than the large blue silhouette one you are referring to). Additionally, I have already edited some of my stories in the past when giving sizes to make it more accurate proportion wise and I'm thinking about doing so again, because this is something that has always bothered me.

Now, I have a question for you. How about actually thinking critically instead of just mouthing off? You're essentially just doing postcount+1 with these last posts Sean. It's almost at the point of baiting.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 4:15 pm

Sorry about that. But we've used these measurements for a long time, and having to look around and adjust all of that is going to be very tedious. I also don't like that you have to criticize me for being a man of a few words. There's nothing here that says that each post must be five lines minimum.

Sorry again for the snark, but I also want you to think about it. Your stories are nothing but a tiny fraction belonging to the currently active ones, including the bios. What you are essentially implying is that each story must be editted and that giants must be 30 ~ 50 ft taller so it make more sense. This is not only going to take hours, but is also going to be a more radical change than one would think. People here are used to the average size being around 70, 75 ft tall, and now we will all have to get used to a new mindset right away. Not only that, but some even more giant creatures will need to be editted, which is only going to make an already tedious process even more tedious.

I can already sense that this may become an argument battleground, so I suggest we move this to its own thread.
Back to top Go down
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 4:46 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
Sorry about that. But we've used these measurements for a long time, and having to look around and adjust all of that is going to be very tedious. I also don't like that you have to criticize me for being a man of a few words. There's nothing here that says that each post must be five lines minimum.

Sorry again for the snark, but I also want you to think about it. Your stories are nothing but a tiny fraction belonging to the currently active ones, including the bios. What you are essentially implying is that each story must be editted and that giants must be 30 ~ 50 ft taller so it make more sense. This is not only going to take hours, but is also going to be a more radical change than one would think. People here are used to the average size being around 70, 75 ft tall, and now we will all have to get used to a new mindset right away. Not only that, but some even more giant creatures will need to be editted, which is only going to make an already tedious process even more tedious.

To one point, I have thought about this. A lot. As I stated. This isn't something I just hashed out in the past hour, its something I've thought about since joining the community and being told that Reya was too tall even though I had sat down and reasoned through what I had expected her measurements should be in her adult form. Given the opportunity presented by Ginbug, I simply acted upon it in a thread that is designed just for such action.

It should also be noted that I never stated that the wiki should be changed - just that arguing against people using characters that are more appropriately sized is a meaningless endeavor.

Again, my point as stated earlier and restated here is the following:

Quote :

... the point to be made here is that attempting to argue against a 200' giant on the realm that it is too tall for interactions given wiki measurements when a 200' tall giant would be more accurate given how pictures are being drawn of Felarya, is the epitome of hyperbole to quote a particular comedian.

I can't, nor would I, force people to change measurement heights. However, I will be doing so to make things more appropriately fitting, and obviously Ginbug intends to introduce characters as such. This will then lead to conflict between people who are using the old convention and a convention I would feel to be more accurate based on upscaling of a known model form. Yet, at the same time, none of my work is canon and only a certain number of people actively read my works anyway, and it is honestly unlikely that I would be giving people permission to use my characters so really, there isn't a conflict at all except in reader perception. Which should honestly be an understood thing when viewing canon vs noncanon material.

I caution just as strongly against getting too tall, as generally speaking interaction with humans is limiting when said human is less than the size of your finger segments. Such a thing has a place, but I would not wish to see an explosion of over-sized macros either generated through an excuse of this point. An introduction of an army of Angela-esque size-ratio characters is neither desired nor required (note: I am not referring to Angela's listed size, merely the ratio of that size to other Felaryan preds).

As for changes, generally speaking Fairies and Nagas would not require a change anyway since they you can fuzz out some of the sizing details in their situations. The problem becomes static preds, such as giants/giantesses, dryads, sphinxes, dridders, etc. Also, who is to say that I wouldn't think it to be a radical change? It is just that, and would require some work - but not really that much honestly. Find/Replace All is a powerful tool one should know to use - I often have to do so when I decide to change a character's name halfway through writing a massive entry (such as the one I'm doing for Act 6).

Edit - Anyone besides me find it really hard to view quoted text normally? Increased size.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 4:55 pm

I have made another thread so we can keep discussing this. https://felarya.forumotion.com/t2484-new-size-scale-discussion

But in my opinion, you can't have two conventions for size, and have them both work perfectly fine. I agree that Nagas, Slug Girls and Fairies are fine, and Dryads in general are actually closer to the norm you speak. But to keep everything proportionate, we'll have to scale every giants up, excluding the fairies. So the two conventions can't coexist.
Back to top Go down
sparkythechu
Survivor
Survivor
sparkythechu

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 6:53 am

I take it that last post opened this up for more questions. Electrically speaking, would a giant hybrid pred have a different electrical resistance than a human? It wouldn't make much sense to me, since their body is made of almost the exact same stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BoltAscendent
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 8:16 am

Yes, a giant predator has different electrical resistance than a human. That much is certain.

So many things effect resistance in an individual, it's hard to even make a general statement about humans alone.

This link should help you though.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 9:09 am

sparkythechu wrote:
I take it that last post opened this up for more questions. Electrically speaking, would a giant hybrid pred have a different electrical resistance than a human? It wouldn't make much sense to me, since their body is made of almost the exact same stuff.
It depends on what you're trying to apply. Recall that, technically, very small voltages can be lethal, so if you're trying to argue what could technically kill a Giant Predator (or what might stun them), the amount isn't that bad: A taser applied right might even work.

However, if talking about what on average could be expected to reliably stun / drop one, it would change. Biting a power line would still be a very bad choice for a Giant Predator, but it's unlikely a shmuck running up to their tail and firing a taser is going to do anything more than pinch 'em.
Back to top Go down
MrNobody13
Great warrior
Great warrior
MrNobody13

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 10:29 am

Precisely. There's any number of things that dictate how electricity is going to affect the body.

Even with different individuals of the same size, species, ect., there's variation in what will happen. Mass, BMI, nervous system variations, pain threshold, lots of stuff. Most people will just go down right away with a taser, but some can stay up and even move to some degree.

Overall, though, I'd say that a pred's mass is going to negate a taser or similar thing. Might give them an uncomfortable twitch, but little else. However, hitting a major nerve bundle or pathway could give them quite a shock. You'd need really long needles, though.
Back to top Go down
sparkythechu
Survivor
Survivor
sparkythechu

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 11:17 am

Well, say we build a positive charge of around 500 Volts next to/on/in a giant pred and an equal negitive charge on the other side and then discharge them through the pred. What happens?
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 1:39 pm

sparkythechu wrote:
Well, say we build a positive charge of around 500 Volts next to/on/in a giant pred and an equal negitive charge on the other side and then discharge them through the pred. What happens?

At what amperage?

At zero amps, absolutely nothing happens.
At a very large number of amp, the predator instantly vaporizes, or worse.
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 2:23 pm

500 volts isn't that much, there are stun guns with 500,000 volts and twice that amount out there, and that wont even kill a human.
Back to top Go down
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 2:31 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
500 volts isn't that much, there are stun guns with 500,000 volts and twice that amount out there, and that wont even kill a human.

And lightning is several million or even over 100 million volts and that sometimes won't kill a human yet the 240V mains socket which has a current of 13 amps will kill a human. It's not the voltage which does the damage it is the number of amps.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 3:03 pm

watts = amps x volts Razz
Back to top Go down
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 3:24 pm

A watt is just a measure of power, you can also define watts as joules per second. Without the current the voltage itself can't do much.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 5:57 pm

As a note, Bael, a stun-gun can quite readily kill a human. It shouldn't be labeled "Non-Lethal", technically, but instead "Nowhere Near As Lethal As Option 2".

It's somewhat circumstantial, though. As asked, what's the amperage? Furthermore, are there any other factors to keep in mind? How grounded is the Giant Predator? What position are the arms in? What's the method of delivery for the Volts? Harpooned volts are a bit different than "crackling energy bolts" volts.

Energy transfer is a very tricky subject. Know it right, you can deal with stupid amounts of energy and walk away without any notable harm. Know it poorly, you can take major damage from a small AA battery.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 10:19 pm

Since that wasn't really specified, we could probably safely assume that it means said target is just standing on the ground, arms to the side, normal posture, the atmosphere isn't too wet or dry (whatever average is).
Back to top Go down
sparkythechu
Survivor
Survivor
sparkythechu

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 10:55 am

OK, I should specify. Charge is inside their hands. We'll kick the charge up to 1000 Volts each. The Amps are determined by Volts divided by resistance, whatever that is. Since the charge and the path are inside the body, I'm guessing it's low. The discharge works like a static discharge and runs through the body. Anything else I'm missing?
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 10:03 pm

As insects are resistant to magic, are they also not healed as well (and/or as quickly) by the healing affect of the soil and water of Felarya?
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 11:10 pm

I'd think some are more resistant than others. As for your question... I swear that has been discussed somewhere before, but I can't recall what the result was.

Last edited by Anime-Junkie on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Think, not "thing")
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 17 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Q and A
Page 16 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next