Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General Q and A

Go down 
+65
Stabs
Rezec
macdaddy
Lobo
Pim18
asaenvolk
X
space_samurai
PrinnyDood
zersergathant
Black Aquila
Sehoolighan
Black Hole Fragment
Solomon
M19Kamikaze
Tuc135
GREGOLE
Vaderaz
Darkstorm Zero
buddha66667
French snack
Zillachary
thejackle123
Warrior3000
Krisexy26
walkingbyself
luke112
ginbug
Prof.Nekko
Malahite
Malhavoc Shade
Shadeofheave
CauldronBorn24
moonlight-pendent13
JonathanS223
Cowrie
kaitheguy1234
EdgedWeapon
Pendragon
ravaging vixen
gwadahunter2222
Jætte_Troll
Kai Leingod
Salvyrn
timing2
aethernavale
Oldman40k2003
dragonjaj
sparkythechu
MrNobody13
AisuKaiko
Slimetoad
Grave
Archmage_Bael
itsmeyouidiot
codaman
Feadraug
TheLightLost
rcs619
ZionAtriedes
DaNoob13
Shady Knight
Karbo
Anime-Junkie
Jasconius
69 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

General Q and A - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 4:01 am

I always assumed that Dryads were neither completely plant nor completely animal, but something always in-between. "Blood" would be something that resembles sap and plasm mixed together, what organs might be inside them are very simply or almost non-existant, the skin is like the trunk trying really hard to be human, etc..
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 10:44 am

Ooh, ooh! I want to put on my fancy professor robes and cap for this one! *clears throat*

Circulatory System:
The idea that sap alone would be able to be quickly and efficiently pumped throughout a body that large and still provide for such energy-consuming functions like conscious thought and a working brain is a little far-fetched. Blood is used in animals rather than sap because we require large amounts of oxygen for all the energy we use.

However, it's not entirely unbelievable that a dryad would possess two circulatory systems. Her first one, which is predominant closer to the bark, would be a system of xylem and phloem constructs that function like a plant's sap system, allowing for some photosynthesis to occur. This system would mostly be directed at any leafy growths, and the lower parts of the dryad's trunk.

Deeper within her body, and becoming more pronounced in her upper half, is the animal-like circulatory system. It is not as complex or as thorough as it is in most animals, since dryads use less energy, as they are usually stationary and relatively inactive creatures (side-question: exothermic, endothermic?). This is supported by a strong heart in the chest to ensure the blood's travel to the lofty head.

These two systems would meet at a few organs near the tree-humanoid boundary line, which I refer to in most hybrids as the "tauric divide". The organs can process the sap for energy, taking the nutrients and passing it into the bloodstream to be metabolized.

To boil it down:
-Two circulatory systems, one blood and one sap
-Sap is mostly in lower trunk, with some offshoots towards leafy growths in upper half to allow for photosynthesis
-Blood is mostly in upper humanoid half, with some offshoots into lower trunk to ensure health of any organs there
-Systems meet at "exchange organs" which take the sugars in the sap and transfer them into the blood

Skeletal-Muscular System:
This one's tricky. If the upper half is soft wood, then how does it move of its own accord? Motion implies a muscular system, and a muscular system for such a large creature implies a skeleton.

However, there are other examples of creatures attaining bodily motion without such traditional biological systems. Elementals, for one, can take a body of completely inert material and turn it into a functioning body. Kinetic motion of the material at a molecular (or at least very small) level may be the cause of this. Dryads may have a similar method, but in all honesty, wood is a little less manipulable than energetic bodies such as fire, or bodies made of heterogeneous particles such as earth. Thus, I believe this to be unlikely, though it should not be ruled out. EDIT: Just checked wiki, and there are indeed wood elementals. That may lend a bit more credence to this idea.

Basically, I would assume that there is some form of skeleton and muscular structure, even if the outermost layer is soft, thin bark that resembles skin.
Back to top Go down
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 11:08 am

I'm sorry, but I disagree with making dryads human-like, especially given the changes that have taken place regarding theory on dryad reproduction.

One also doesn't require muscles to move. At least utilize their more plant-like attributes rather than trying to make them a partial human.

I would say that dryads are more tree like with their 'human' organs being analogous, but not being like them. We know Dryads have mouths and throats and stomachs, but what are they really? I don't agree with them being human-like, not with their nature.

Why must every tauric predator have such systems? Why can't they have a system of different viscous saps for providing necessary functions - it's not like the occupants of their stomachs would be able to tell the difference. Others keep bringing up the breast-use analogy, for example - if you want to part ways and utilize or remove features from their non-tauric purpose, at least be consistent with it.

I would rather see some imagination go into this, instead of this reflex kitbashing of plant and animal to make it work. Can we please stop with delivering explanations for symptoms and go at it from an original angle? Dryads are by far one of the most unique species, and given what has been said and formulated of them they deserve to be unique.

Perhaps I'll do some elaboration on this myself when I actually have the time to allow for distractions.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 11:10 am

Hmm... now that Aether puts it like he has, I do agree with him.
In 3D modelling kitbashing is where a new model is created by taking pieces out of existing commercial models or whole models themselves. Kitbashes can be done well if the models being used are similar, but its still a patch job, something that's done when making something from scratch just isn't viable.

That's not the case here, we can have dryads be completely plant. I've assumed that their humanoid parts were not covered in actual skin, but a plant alternative.

If we're going to think this through we might was well do it properly, think this from the ground up rather than doing a kitbash.

Last edited by Anime-Junkie on Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 11:21 am

I agree with Aether. This is overthinking things that nobody should think about in the first place. We don't have to adhere to the laws of physics, but that we stick to the rules we made up.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 11:56 am

aethernavale wrote:

Perhaps I'll do some elaboration on this myself when I actually have the time to allow for distractions.
I would very much like that. It'd be much more constructive of you to elaborate on your "unique angle" rather than just bash my own thought-out idea.

I was operating under the impression that these are "hybrid" creatures. That implies to me both human and "other". Emphasizing on the "other" is just as silly as emphasizing the human. I've noticed this with nagas, too, where people emphasize the snake and forget there's a human half.

No imagination? Excuse me if my idea doesn't fit with yours, but that doesn't mean it isn't creative. Not to toot my own horn, but I just came up with an idea that incorporates both blood and sap systems, and then has them link up to allow for a plant-animal hybrid to metabolize the products of its photosynthesis in an animal-like manner, which allows them to have a human-like brain and conscious thought. I suppose that's pretty mundane.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 12:02 pm

Dryads don't have blood, muscles or organs. Their true form is that of an intelligent but hideous tentacle-plant that ensnares a large predator, eats their insides and wears the skin as a hat, moving it with their tentacles.

They do this for the sake of fitting in with everyone else, because it's hard to make friends when you're a hideous plant monster. You should go give them a hug, right now.
Back to top Go down
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 12:41 pm

ZionAtriedes wrote:
I would very much like that. It'd be much more constructive of you to elaborate on your "unique angle" rather than just bash my own thought-out idea.

I was operating under the impression that these are "hybrid" creatures. That implies to me both human and "other". Emphasizing on the "other" is just as silly as emphasizing the human. I've noticed this with nagas, too, where people emphasize the snake and forget there's a human half.

No imagination? Excuse me if my idea doesn't fit with yours, but that doesn't mean it isn't creative. Not to toot my own horn, but I just came up with an idea that incorporates both blood and sap systems, and then has them link up to allow for a plant-animal hybrid to metabolize the products of its photosynthesis in an animal-like manner, which allows them to have a human-like brain and conscious thought. I suppose that's pretty mundane.

Defensive much? I recommend not taking things personally, it'll just cause problems where there need be none.

Now, to be blunt, your idea is not that original, nor would I call it thought-out. It's a kitbash, through and through. I haven't actually come up with an idea for dryad anatomy, seeing as I have no dryad characters that would necessitate me to do so. Yet, the issue of dryad reproduction in the past has shown that this is an opened topic, and many of us had our own ideas and layouts for such things. While I don't myself agree with Cliff and a few others, that doesn't mean I don't respect their thoughts on the subject. It is something worth thinking about, but I choose to prioritize my own story.

However, I have none of that for this. Your idea is essentially A + B = C. I see no research, no indepth thought, no real development here. It is a direct glue kitbash garage kit. That is undoubtedly harsh of me to say, but this is why I don't give critiques. Because I tend to be an ass.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 12:47 pm

My point stands: I don't see you doing any better.

Yes, it's a hybridization. Yes, it's two systems combined. That doesn't always mean kitbash. If anything, that system is superior. It allows for animal-like metabolism of photosynthesized food. Animals have superior circulation, but cannot synthesize food. Dryads, using my idea, have both.

Also, here's a little fact of life: everything in existence is a fucking glue-together garage kit. Life is a series of mish-mash put-together mutations that result in a greater whole. If you expect things to be clean and clear-cut, you need to actually study a little biology.

Last edited by ZionAtriedes on Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 12:53 pm

Aether, Zion, come on let's keep things friendly. This isn't really a debate thread anyways. If you guys want to open the topic to a true discussion, make a thread.

This is just a Q and A thread afterall.

This is just my own personal opinion on the matter now, but it seems like trying to completely define Dryad biology, other than their reproduction methods, seems like its a bit unnecissary. I mean, its neat to think about, but it doesn't really impact anything. Not to mention, as wierd as it is, and as many possibilities as there are, its going to be hard to reach any kind of group consensus on it.
Back to top Go down
Vaderaz
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
Vaderaz

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 12:56 pm

Woa, a lot of ideas here xD
but yea, since this question became quite a discution thread, maybe we should open another thread about it
Back to top Go down
http://vaderaz.deviantart.com/
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 12:58 pm

rcs619 wrote:
Aether, Zion, come on let's keep things friendly. This isn't really a debate thread anyways. If you guys want to open the topic to a true discussion, make a thread.
What debate? What discussion? If Aether proposed an IDEA, then maybe it would be those things.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 1:10 pm

rcs619 wrote:

This is just my own personal opinion on the matter now, but it seems like trying to completely define Dryad biology, other than their reproduction methods, seems like its a bit unnecissary. I mean, its neat to think about, but it doesn't really impact anything. Not to mention, as wierd as it is, and as many possibilities as there are, its going to be hard to reach any kind of group consensus on it.
THANK YOU! It's neat to think about something, but making sure everything adheres to the laws of physics just kills the mood of fantasy. If you make up something, it's best that it sticks to the rules you made up.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 1:17 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
rcs619 wrote:

THANK YOU! It's neat to think about something, but making sure everything adheres to the laws of physics just kills the mood of fantasy. If you make up something, it's best that it sticks to the rules you made up.
Okay, here's the thing: some people ENJOY coming up with little explanations here and there. I, for one, do. I'm not asking that this be made canon or iron law; I'm simply proposing a suggestion because THAT IS WHAT I FUCKING LIKE TO DO.
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 1:21 pm

Zion. Chill... It's not worth it.
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 1:28 pm

I'm not actually all that angry. I mean, I was a little irked at first by that little bullshit Aether pulled, but I'm pretty sure getting angry and looking like a douche will hurt my case there. Fact is, he's bashing, I'm not.

The capitalization and cursing does, I admit, seem a little aggressive. I'm really trying to just get a point across, and it's a point that I've been trying to make people understand for a while.
Back to top Go down
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 1:29 pm

to be frank, youre not right aisu. IT IS worth it. dont let people tell you how your imagination should be zion. i also think its a rather important question. what if a dryad gets hurt? what will come out? blood or wood?

but yeah, we gotta keep it civil, but its a very interesting question youre coming with zion Smile

Last edited by Krisexy26 on Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://krisexy26.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 1:30 pm

I thought it would be sap. Razz
Back to top Go down
Vaderaz
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
Vaderaz

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 2:46 pm

Yea, I think it would be more sap than wood xD
---

Dont fight people, each one can have their opinions, and I'm also someone who likes to have some logics in fantasy discutions.
Your ideas may differ, but try to think of arguments to explain your points of view and eventually, mix the ideas if it's possible (nobody can be 100% right or 100% wrong)

Well anyways, i dont think we can say that dryads are really "completely made of wood/plant" l, after all, they have still an important thing that I've not seen anywhere so far in this thread; a nervous system and of course, a BRAIN.
The brain is characteristic of animals, so I'm quite sure that there must be something else, or a mix between animal and vegetal;
I dont think that a complete plant body would be able to keep a nervous system as complex as a dryad (cause they are indeed complex, dryads are inteligent beings, and have conections with each other).

Back to top Go down
http://vaderaz.deviantart.com/
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 2:47 pm

Krisexy26 wrote:
to be frank, youre not right aisu. IT IS worth it. dont let people tell you how your imagination should be zion.
No, no, Aisu's right. It's not worth getting angry, because that won't win anyone over. That doesn't mean I'm backing down, Kris, it just means that I'm using more tact.

I don't think anyone's telling me how my imagination should be. Aether is simply trying to discern what belongs in a world that multiple people draw from and contribute to. I think his methods are a bit asinine, but I'm not going to accuse him of something he isn't doing. Felarya isn't subject to any one person's imagination, with the obvious exception of Karbo. It is a shared effort, and sometimes there has to be a little discussion on what's appropriate and what isn't.

Atlas wrote:
Well anyways, i dont think we can say that dryads are really "completely made of wood/plant" l, after all, they have still an important thing that I've not seen anywhere so far in this thread; a nervous system and of course, a BRAIN.
The brain is characteristic of animals, so I'm quite sure that there must be something else, or a mix between animal and vegetal;
I dont think that a complete plant body would be able to keep a nervous system as complex as a dryad (cause they are indeed complex, dryads are inteligent beings, and have conections with each other).
THANK YOU. That is exactly why I proposed what I did, and why I thought it made sense. It may not fit every single person's sense of aesthetics, but I found it to be sensible. Of course, that depends on what one's priorities are.
Back to top Go down
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 3:30 pm

yeah, but it shouldnt be like "your ideas suck because mines better"

though im not saying anyone said it. the best way for me is like in a debate. you throw your arguments and the one that makes more sense wins :/ that is, karbo needs to approve after :/

and ehm...i more wanted to mean like..."downrating your ideas/views" something like that :/
Back to top Go down
http://krisexy26.deviantart.com/
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 4:08 pm

Ah. Then in that case, Kris, I agree with you. To be honest, I may have been overly defensive in my interpretation, but it seemed to me that "downrating" is exactly what Aether was doing.

Anyways, I believe that's enough de-railing from me.
Back to top Go down
Prof.Nekko
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Prof.Nekko

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 4:41 pm

The thing is, as stated, Dryads do have a complex nervous system capable of logical rational thought, a concept only possible by animals, not plants, so Dryad's do require some animal based genetics to exist. However Dryads are also capable of photosynthesis, which means they have to have some plant traits as well. Considering the these facts, if a Dryad is to exist, one can quickly discern 2 possible outcomes.

1. The Dryad is a hybridized being, as Zion said and has both plant and animal qualities, and can seemlessly intertwine the two together. This is the easiest way to explain it if you don't wish to go into explaining the genetic nightmare that is mixing Plant and Animals together, but really Felarya already has Humans mixed with Snakes/Cats/Birds/ect. As well as making them over 100 feet tall. So what harm can come in mixing humans with Plants I ask you?

2. The Dryad is in truth an ethereal being of some sort, merely possessing a tree and having it manipulate it into a form of its choosing. Since the thought processes are of a spirit, a nervous system is not required as it can manipulate the plant matter to create movement. However this has some complications in the fact that Dryads hate fire. If a nature spirit was possessing a plant, and the plant were destroyed, the spirit would simply inhabit another tree, yet dead dryads are gone forever, so therein lies the problem.

These are the two primary possibilities I've devulged, is one right? Maybe, maybe not. Are there other possibilities? Maybe. But this is the easiest way to explain it for now
Back to top Go down
luke112
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
luke112

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 7:53 pm

Question: if bullets wouldnt bring much pain to giant preds, what about direct energy weapons like a plasma rifle or a energy sword or the partical beam rifle wouldnt any of those cause major harm to giant preds? or would some just out right kill them?( especaily the last one)
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 9:54 pm

luke112 wrote:
Question: if bullets wouldnt bring much pain to giant preds, what about direct energy weapons like a plasma rifle or a energy sword or the partical beam rifle wouldnt any of those cause major harm to giant preds? or would some just out right kill them?( especaily the last one)

Bullets do bring pain though. Even something as small as a 7.62mm assault rifle round would feel like getting stabbed by a small needle or insect. With decent enough numbers, the pred would definately get the idea that they need to just move on and go bother someone else.

It isn't really about the type of weapon, its about the size. Weapons that can hurt preds tend to be anti-armor and anti-vehicle weapons. Like, an assault rifle will just hurt a pred, but an RPG will seriously maim or kill them. A .50cal rifle would draw blood and cause intense pain, but a 20mm cannon would outright kill them. The main issue is that most weapons that can kill a pred tend to be fairly clunky, heavy or otherwise unwieldy, not to mention almost impossible for anyone outside of the Isolon Fist, Vishmitals or an offworld military to obtain.

As for energy weapons, I imagine they follow similar rules. Small, anti-infantry weapons are just going to cause a bit of pain, while larger weapons designed to destroy vehicles, aircraft or armored vehicles would be able to cause serious injuries or death. The main issue with energy weapons is that they probably would be rare. The only way to get them would be to import them from offworld, and even then, I doubt that any civillian could just go somewhere and buy a plasma rifle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Q and A
Page 23 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next