Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001 Empty
PostSubject: Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001   Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 1:36 am

Purged. Not that anyone was looking anyway.

Last edited by aethernavale on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
dragonjaj
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
dragonjaj

PostSubject: Re: Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001   Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 4:20 am

I like it it works and no one can say it wount or cant cause it uses magic. Rule one of scifantisy if it dont mack sceance its magic involed. Its how i figured the the computers and laptops i see in some storys work. Also it exsplane how Anna got signles on the tv she built.
Back to top Go down
http://dragonjaj.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001   Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 4:31 am

Quote :
Naturally, as a spur-of-the-moment idea I came up with its fairly rough and could use some revisions, so inputs/critiques on the system are requested.

Well, I have three things to say about this:
  1. It's stupid
  2. I hate it
  3. Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001   Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 6:51 am

I think it's a neat idea, but I don't really like it because I think we need to focus more on Negav's technology aspect rather than the magic aspect. These crystals fall too much in the magic aspect IMO.

Plus it sounds like a more complicated version of my Scry Stone idea.

https://felarya.forumotion.com/ideas-discussion-f3/felarya-mineralogy-thread-t222-75.htm

Scroll to the bottom.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Militant-Prey
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Militant-Prey

PostSubject: Re: Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001   Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 11:01 am

Sean is right; magic is nice, and magitech is interesting, but not all of us are of that bent. I think both need to be developed fully.

In fact, tensions between those who use magic and those who use science/tech should be explored. Furthermore, each must have strengths and weaknesses. This universe has attracted, in the past, both sci-fi and fantasy afficiadnados; after all, it is a separate dimension accessed by some races through tech. Lets not try to fit Felarya into some sort of a genre straightjacket.
Back to top Go down
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001   Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 1:41 pm

Purged.

Last edited by aethernavale on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001   Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 1:46 pm

My crystal is based on Wind Waker if you ever played that game. I also would like someone to count, barring my own and your own stories, how many times has specific technology, it can just be the name of an appliance, has been brought up in a story taking place in Negav that didn't use any form of magic whatsoever. I know magic is a big aspect of Felarya, but Negav is a blend of magic and science and I don't recall anyone focus on the science aspect.

No offense, but I also found the tone you addressed me aggressive.
Back to top Go down
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001   Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 1:56 pm

Mckilla's Ellisian (Ellisian society as a whole), WowandWas' Jungle Bowl (recovered technology items mentioned on occassion, command center complex with computers), several stories in the Felaryan Park saga (all items relating to power generation, cage control and security, vehicle operation), randomdude's Rin's Adventures (the society of Miratans), Tora's Nikita's Adventures (Spetsnaz base), etc.

They do exist. They are often swamped over by the myriads of other stories that I haven't personally had the time to sit down and read, but then again, so is the vore and fetish aspect as well. And no, I haven't played Wind Waker so I wouldn't know about the system.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001   Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 2:12 pm

The Jungle Bowl did not take place in Negav, nor was Rin's adventures, so they do not count. I'm not sure if Mick's story ever got to Negav, but his Ellisians are not from Negav, so they do not count either. And the other two don't sound like they ever got to Negav, especially since Tora focuses more on the sea.

My question was stories that had settings in Negav, not anywhere else, and the modern science was touched upon rather than mere mentionned. I made a few references of hover buses, probably a Vishmital design, and computers in the Adventurer's Guild to keep track of members and activities in general, as well as electronic boards where one can see "quests" they could undertake. I think I even mentioned grills in my contest entry.

My point was that, yes, there is technology in Felarya. Heck, I have my own advanced race from another world and their story is currently underway. But Negav is both magic and science together. Unfortunately, most people, when it comes to Negav, barely touch the technology aspect.

Also, I need to get this out of my chest, so if you take offense to it, I did not intend it and I apologize in advance. The reason people wouldn't read past a few sentences of your posts is because they have just way too much text and technical terms. It's like you are writing for people who are familiar with the domain you speak of, but not all of us know about it, so it all flies a good mile over our heads. Something I learned in journalism class is that you need to break the information down to a simple form so that everyone can understand it. I personally believe it's best to do that in a forum. We don't need to know about all the technicalities since the average person will probably explain as "It allow us to talk through crystals" in their stories and never touch on the technical stuff.

As for Wind Waker, it's basically your Navi equivalent. Early on, you get a small stone slipped in your pocket and the person then tells you that it allows her to talk to you and see what is around it. Throughout the game, the action icon will flash and if you press it, you'll just receive advice through it. That's basically it. I may have made the visual and audio range too large, though.
Back to top Go down
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001   Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 2:48 pm

Sean, generally speaking, your tone always comes off as aggressive. Your above posts was one of the few times it didn't.

Sean Okotami wrote:
The Jungle Bowl did not take place in Negav, nor was Rin's adventures, so they do not count. I'm not sure if Mick's story ever got to Negav, but his Ellisians are not from Negav, so they do not count either. And the other two don't sound like they ever got to Negav, especially since Tora focuses more on the sea.

My question was stories that had settings in Negav, not anywhere else, and the modern science was touched upon rather than mere mentionned. I made a few references of hover buses, probably a Vishmital design, and computers in the Adventurer's Guild to keep track of members and activities in general, as well as electronic boards where one can see "quests" they could undertake. I think I even mentioned grills in my contest entry.

My point was that, yes, there is technology in Felarya. Heck, I have my own advanced race from another world and their story is currently underway. But Negav is both magic and science together. Unfortunately, most people, when it comes to Negav, barely touch the technology aspect.

Most people barely touch the Negav aspect, so I find the discussion point to be rather moot.

Sean Okotami wrote:
Also, I need to get this out of my chest, so if you take offense to it, I did not intend it and I apologize in advance. The reason people wouldn't read past a few sentences of your posts is because they have just way too much text and technical terms. It's like you are writing for people who are familiar with the domain you speak of, but not all of us know about it, so it all flies a good mile over our heads. Something I learned in journalism class is that you need to break the information down to a simple form so that everyone can understand it. I personally believe it's best to do that in a forum. We don't need to know about all the technicalities since the average person will probably explain as "It allow us to talk through crystals" in their stories and never touch on the technical stuff.

Actually, I'm dubbing it down. The actual descriptions are much higher, but I know that no one will read that. Dubbing it down too far however makes it a handwave - if you wish to discuss technology, you need to be able to delve deeper into it than "Plug in device. Turn on the power button. ??? Profit." This is why most people choose magic, or items that already exist - because they can skate out, as you yourself stated in another area of these boards. By incorporating things that already exist, I'm merely grounding it - still, in a way, it is a handwave.

Sean Okotami wrote:
As for Wind Waker, it's basically your Navi equivalent. Early on, you get a small stone slipped in your pocket and the person then tells you that it allows her to talk to you and see what is around it. Throughout the game, the action icon will flash and if you press it, you'll just receive advice through it. That's basically it. I may have made the visual and audio range too large, though.

Navi? You make references I do not understand. I'm guessing game, Zelda? Based on its description, it sounds much like a linkpearl from FF. Still, its basically a fallback on magic, which you are currently debating... against?
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001   Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 3:08 pm

Well, Navi is a fairy infamous in Zelda Ocarina of Time for giving you advice, often at importune times. The stone does the same job, except it's free of the infamous high-pitched "Hey!" "Look!" "Watch out!" "Listen!". I guess you're right that not many people write in Negav semi-regularly, but I would still like that it gets a few ideas of advanced technology pitched-in. And thank you for telling me I wasn't aggressive. That's what I was aiming for.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001   Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 3:15 pm

Are you saying that you'll dumb it down from what there's now?
I hope you don't replace the current description. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001   Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 3:16 pm

Anime-Junkie wrote:
He means that the descriptions put in the first post are the dumbed down descriptions.
Back to top Go down
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001   Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 3:17 pm

Anime-Junkie wrote:

No, I was saying it was already dubbed down. The use of the word piezoelectric doesn't qualify as highend discussion as I explained what that meant in the original post. The rest of the concepts presented are simplistic in nature.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001   Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Outdated / Expunged Ideas 001
Page 1 of 1