Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Let's talk Moderators...

Go down 
+25
buddha66667
French snack
Silent_eric
Anime-Junkie
Oldman40k2003
Prof.Nekko
Archmage_Bael
Asuroth
MrNobody13
TheLightLost
Slimetoad
Stabs
Karbo
Salvyrn
ZionAtriedes
Darkstorm Zero
Grave
rcs619
Krisexy26
Pendragon
Jætte_Troll
Jasconius
vore4life99
Shady Knight
AisuKaiko
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

Let's talk Moderators... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Moderators...   Let's talk Moderators... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 10:52 am

blame him for having a life meaning that "Felarya is cool but shall never take too much place in your life" he kinda got that message.

so maybe you should change your eyes because it wasnt mean at all Smile
Back to top Go down
http://krisexy26.deviantart.com/
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Moderators...   Let's talk Moderators... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 11:07 am

Krisexy26 wrote:
blame him for having a life meaning that "Felarya is cool but shall never take too much place in your life" he kinda got that message.

so maybe you should change your eyes because it wasnt mean at all Smile

Well, we're getting off topic, wouldn't you agree?
Back to top Go down
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Moderators...   Let's talk Moderators... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 11:10 am

bah we were talking about a mod and i explained one of my post that seemed to be unclear for some.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Moderators...   Let's talk Moderators... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 11:34 am

All I saw was you saying that Timing2 was active. Once it was proven that he isn't, you quickly changed the subject. Why he isn't doesn't factor in to this discussion at all. I'm not saying he's a bad mod, I'm simply saying that the current ones could possibly use some backup. I know for a fact that the job is already stressing Stabs a little.

The point isn't that he has a life. It's that he's not here. So, why did you bring it up?
Back to top Go down
buddha66667
Great warrior
Great warrior
buddha66667

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Moderators...   Let's talk Moderators... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 11:36 am

My point remains valid, a moderator has to be present to moderate. It doesn't matter the reason for their absence if they aren't around they cannot moderate, and if they aren't around to moderate they aren't a good reliable moderator.

The fact that you said
Krisexy wrote:
Indicates to me that you are attempting to relate two separate things together that are unrelated. Yes Felarya shouldn't take place of your life but that doesn't mean that a person who doesn't log on on a consistent basis should be a moderator as they are unreliable and more than likely won't be on should trouble arise.

These are the things that need to be present in a moderator:
1) Levelheadedness
2) Neutrality
3) Consistent and frequent user

Timing2 isn't a active user it doesn't matter the reason he isn't around enough to be an affective moderator, and that is that
Back to top Go down
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Moderators...   Let's talk Moderators... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 12:05 pm

at zion, my point of view is: if i have hard time at work and its keeping me really busy...i think it makes pretty much sense that i will come lose my time coming here. and i didnt change the subject...i answered by a valid reponse..

at buddha, i had some pretty blunt answers to give you, but ill keep them for myself so ill just say: go ask karbo and see what he will say.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Moderators...   Let's talk Moderators... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 12:10 pm

Yes, but he isn't active. Thus disproving your original point.

Also, saying you had blunt answers but that you didn't say them really isn't any different from saying them aloud.
Back to top Go down
buddha66667
Great warrior
Great warrior
buddha66667

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Moderators...   Let's talk Moderators... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 12:40 pm

Krisexy do you think that I can't take bluntness? Most responses I have to say about any given issue are quite blunt, so long as your bluntness is backed up with logic I will accept it, but most of what you have said seems to disprove the point you have taken here.

A)The initial point brought up by JT was that Timing2 wasn't present most of the time
B)for which you responded that that was incorrect.
C)I followed up by responding that the last time he logged in was April 4
D)for which you said that he was busy.
E)Zion brought up that that was the original point
F)To which you deferred in saying that timing2 has a life
G)You then elaborated in what you were saying that Felarya shouldn't take up most of you life
H)Zion said that the point that he has a life it is that he isn't around enough
I) Then I said that moderators need to be present in order to moderate otherwise they might as well not be moderators
J) Then you come up with a hypothetical argument that me just doesn't have time for us because of work (Yes it is hypothetical because he never at least said publicly the reason he wasn't going to be around)

Now then the point of the letters in front of each point to put it mathematically
= support
/= does not support
: Opposing points

A=C=E=H=I To put this into words all these points back each other up
B/=D=F=G=J Although D,F,G, and J back each other up there is still the point that B does not back up any of these points
A : B/=D You started by saying that JT was wrong but disproved your own argument
B : C I disproved you original point
H=I Zion and my points support one another
I : J You ignore my point and say that you are essentially not going to respond to me

Now then what you have to say about timing2 having a life is a mute point as it still leaves us with a moderator that is not moderating because he isn't around.
Back to top Go down
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Moderators...   Let's talk Moderators... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 3:45 pm

youre comment is a bit too long for me to fully answer it so ill reply to one thing:

Quote :
(Yes it is hypothetical because he never at least said publicly the reason he wasn't going to be around)

personally, i didnt know it was somewhat of an obligation to say we would be away. probably, he did advises karbo, who, i think, is mostly the only person that should know how much time he'll be away. if not, then its just his life. were not spy and we are all free to do whatever we want.
Back to top Go down
buddha66667
Great warrior
Great warrior
buddha66667

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Moderators...   Let's talk Moderators... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 4:24 pm

The point is he is a moderator. I could care less why he isn't around the point is he left for an extended period of time without any type of warning. Moderators have higher standards and more expected out of them. Being a moderator is a response-ability that they willingly take on to make sure that no problems are occurring in the forum. If there was some reason that he wasn't going to be around he should have said that in the personal announcements thread like French snack did, but he instead just left for 18+ days. Moderators have a responsibility to the community not just one person.

Krisexy wrote:
youre comment is a bit too long for me to fully answer it so ill reply to one thing:
buddha66667 wrote:
(Yes it is hypothetical because he never at least said publicly the reason he wasn't going to be around)

If you're not going to respond in full then please don't bother to respond. It makes you sound like you don't know what your talking about. And the part that you decided to pick out has no impact on the problem at hand.

Krisexy wrote:
personally, i didnt know it was somewhat of an obligation to say we would be away. probably, he did advises karbo, who, i think, is mostly the only person that should know how much time he'll be away. if not, then its just his life. were not spy and we are all free to do whatever we want.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say could you please edit this with some spelling and grammar fixes.
Back to top Go down
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Moderators...   Let's talk Moderators... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 4:33 pm

i saw nowhere he HAD to tell the community he was going to be away

and i only responded to that because I'm just tired of big comments.

but if you want me to answer clear questions, just tell em
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Moderators...   Let's talk Moderators... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 5:38 pm

If you're not going to bother to read a reply, please excuse yourself from the conversation.
Back to top Go down
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Moderators...   Let's talk Moderators... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 9:36 pm

its not what i will do zion.
Back to top Go down
French snack
French snack

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Moderators...   Let's talk Moderators... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 1:32 am

This latest stretch of conversation doesn't seem to be going anywhere, or even to have much of a purpose.

By all means, discuss moderation. But do so in a civil manner. If it's going to degenerate into simple snappiness, it'll be locked.

Timing2 has been busy. That happens to everyone. I'm sure he'll be back soon, and he's quite capable of determining by himself whether he has the time for his moderating responsibilities. In the meantime, I don't think this forum is under-moderated.

Just for the sake of clarification, all four mods (as there were four at the time, Karbo included) discussed a couple of issues about two weeks ago, and timing2 took part in those discussions.
Back to top Go down
Darkstorm Zero
Darkstorm Zero

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Moderators...   Let's talk Moderators... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 1:57 am

I agree with FS here, the course this thread has taken is not the best way to resolve such an issue.

Timing's need to be away for any length of time may be due to factors outside of his control, or may be due to reasons that are more important, this does not make him a bad mod. Wether or not he announced his absence to us as a whole is inconsequential, since if Kris is to be beleived, then Timing did let his employer (IE: Karbo) know at least of his absence in advance, and frankly, when unavoidable absences do crop up, (and sometimes they do crop up in an instance notice) then he really has no requirement to let us know. Especially given the fact that Modship is voluntary.

That said, it is also true that a Mod that is not here cannot moderate, and while Timing2 does not deserve flak for being away for whatever reason, there does still need to be moderators here, which is probably why promoting one or two more people to moderator status is good (And possibly an Administrator to assist Karbo with running the Forum background as well.)
Back to top Go down
http://darkstormzero.deviantart.com/
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Moderators...   Let's talk Moderators... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 10:48 am

How much I care about how frequently a particular mod is around is inversely proportional to how many mods there are, and proportional to how active the forums are. That is, if there are only a few mods on a very active forum, I would want those mods to be around rather frequently. But if the forum is relatively inactive, then it would be fine by me if the mods were only infrequently.

The reason for this is statistics; if one assumes a mods absence/presence is independent of another's (and is at least semi-random) then as the number of mods goes up the probability of at least one being online (which is usually all that is required) at any particular time tends towards 100%.

It may help to visualize it as a series of tosses of a group of coins. For example, say that there are 5 coins (mods), and we want to know the probability that not a single one of them lands heads up (IE: no mods are online. For the purposes of this demonstration I am assuming that the probability of a mod being offline is 50%, and that this probability applies to all mods; this is a simplification of course.) The probability of all the mods being offline is the individual probability of a mod being offline multiplied together with all the others probabilities of being offline. So, in this case, it is 50% * 50% * 50% * 50% * 50% = 3.125% probability that all of them are offline. Or in other words, 96.875% of the time, at least one mod will be online.

That said, it probably wouldn't hurt to have more mods.
So that's my (math based) two cents.

(Another example demonstrating my point; assuming there are 10 mods each of whom are offline 90% of the time, the probability that they are all offline at the same time is only 35%. If this was on a daily schedule, then that means even though each of this mods only logs in once every week and a half, there is at least one mod online every two out of three days.)
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Moderators...   Let's talk Moderators... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 6:24 am

We have two new mods : Darkstorm zero and Silent eric ^^ Please wish them good luck ! I'm still studying the question on wheter name some more.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Darkstorm Zero
Darkstorm Zero

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Moderators...   Let's talk Moderators... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 6:29 am

Well, As Stabs so aptly put it in his appointment to Mod. I will do my utmost to do my duty as a new Moderator in an unbiased and neutral manner.

And I am grateful for the trust both karbo and the community has placed in me.
Back to top Go down
http://darkstormzero.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Moderators...   Let's talk Moderators... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 7:12 am

good luck guys Razz
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Moderators...   Let's talk Moderators... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 8:12 am

'grats to you guys.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Moderators...   Let's talk Moderators... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 8:22 am

Darkstorm Zero wrote:
Well, As Stabs so aptly put it in his appointment to Mod. I will do my utmost to do my duty as a new Moderator in an unbiased and neutral manner.

And I am grateful for the trust both karbo and the community has placed in me.

I on the other hand will be only referred to as the Great and Terrible Wizard of Felarya. All shall quake before my Modular might. Bans will flow like wine. And all shall bow before me. We'll be like Good Mod Bad Mod.

Or not.

I'll see what I can do as a mod. I'm not confident of my ability, but I'll try to help where I can. I'll try not to sticky ALL my own ideas. ha ha ha.
Back to top Go down
http://silenteric.deviantart.com/
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Moderators...   Let's talk Moderators... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 8:45 am

Congrats! Remember: with great power, comes a great beatdown... now, wait... responsibility... yeah, responsibility...

You guys know what to do, we trust you. You better not let us down. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
TheArchvile
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
TheArchvile

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Moderators...   Let's talk Moderators... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 8:47 am

Most excellent! Good luck guys. And congratulations!
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Moderators...   Let's talk Moderators... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 2:05 pm

Congrats guys. Hope you moderate well.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Moderators...   Let's talk Moderators... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 8:23 pm

Karbo wrote:
I'm still studying the question on wheter name some more.
I think it would be a good idea to discuss it with the existing moderators, if you haven't already.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Moderators...   Let's talk Moderators... - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Let's talk Moderators...
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next