Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

That giant neko

Go down 
+17
Anime-Junkie
vore4life99
asaenvolk
buddha66667
Nyaha
Grave
Solomon
Jætte_Troll
AisuKaiko
rcs619
Slimetoad
Krisexy26
Black Aquila
Jasconius
ZionAtriedes
Shady Knight
Karbo
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

That giant neko - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: That giant neko   That giant neko - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 10:51 am

I might as well throw in my two cents as well, seeing as how, as the guy with the Metal Sonic avatar said, giant nekos are awesome. <3

Not everything NEEDS an explanation. Sometimes, as the author, you just have to put your foot down and say "this is how it is, deal with it." People can ask as many questions as they want and debate it amongst themselves, but, and I think this would be a good case for this, it's better to leave it as a mystery for the readers to think about and come up with their own reasons. And, as I've said once or twice before, some things aren't supposed to make sense.
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: That giant neko   That giant neko - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 10:57 am

Nyaha wrote:
Not everything NEEDS an explanation. Sometimes, as the author, you just have to put your foot down and say "this is how it is, deal with it."
Translation: "Fuck you guys, this is cool and I'm doing it."
Back to top Go down
buddha66667
Great warrior
Great warrior
buddha66667

PostSubject: Re: That giant neko   That giant neko - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 11:07 am

Wiki "Felaryan Ground" wrote:

Likewise, creatures who have spent a long time on Felarya or were born there tend to grow taller than their off world counterparts.

Although the specifics of this remain a mystery to me as to how much larger one can grow simply from living or being born on Felarya, it is from what I have observed people seem to over look this simple line when creating characters native to Felarya. Maybe it would be beneficial to define what type of effect that Felaryan soil would have on character growth (though I realize it is magical in nature) a general rule of thumb would prove to be helpful.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: That giant neko   That giant neko - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 11:14 am

buddha66667 wrote:

Likewise, creatures who have spent a long time on Felarya or were born there tend to grow taller than their off world counterparts.

Although the specifics of this remain a mystery to me as to how much larger one can grow simply from living or being born on Felarya, it is from what I have observed people seem to over look this simple line when creating characters native to Felarya. Maybe it would be beneficial to define what type of effect that Felaryan soil would have on character growth (though I realize it is magical in nature) a general rule of thumb would prove to be helpful.

I think it just makes people taller and healthier, like how nekos born on Felarya are, on average, taller than humans. I doubt it means people are going to balloon up to giant sizes.

Last edited by rcs619 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: That giant neko   That giant neko - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 11:14 am

Quote :

why not? Rousseau did the same, Baudelaire did the same, Flaubert did the same, Balzac at some point done it too, Hugo done it like hell, Picarro authors has done it as well...Its literature! as long as it respects the basic views of felarya, why not?

i think felarya is world where kinda anything is possible
Back to top Go down
http://krisexy26.deviantart.com/
asaenvolk
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle
asaenvolk

PostSubject: Re: That giant neko   That giant neko - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 11:24 am

well yes, it has been done, but in many ways its still a snub to the reader when authers do that. Much like when they show some one dieing at the start of a series and the whole story is the lead up to how they die, and then they don't. Its basically the author lying to the audience, its not bad in small douses, its just one that grows to old too fast.
Back to top Go down
http://asaenvolk.deviantart.com/
buddha66667
Great warrior
Great warrior
buddha66667

PostSubject: Re: That giant neko   That giant neko - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 11:28 am

rcs619 wrote:
buddha66667 wrote:

I think it just makes people taller and healthier, like how nekos born on Felarya are, on average, taller than humans. I doubt it means people are going to balloon up to giant sizes.

I never said that it would cause a 5' 9" neko to say be 100+ feet tall, but if generation "A" grew 2" taller and generation "B" grew 2" taller than that then I think you can see where I am going. The fact that someone not native to Felarya could grow taller tells me that it is an effect applied over time. This leads me to ask if the increase in height would affect the DNA and be passed on when/if they reproduce.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: That giant neko   That giant neko - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 11:32 am

Krisexy26 wrote:
Quote :

why not? Rousseau did the same, Baudelaire did the same, Flaubert did the same, Balzac at some point done it too, Hugo done it like hell, Picarro authors has done it as well...Its literature! as long as it respects the basic views of felarya, why not?

Yes, but,
asaenvolk wrote:
well yes, it has been done, but in many ways its still a snub to the reader when authers do that.

Remember Kris, an author's work is all in vain without readers. You can say that the reader's a pawn, but a product is useless without consumers. It becomes a waste of effort and time. You write for the readers; they don't read for you.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: That giant neko   That giant neko - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 11:46 am

However, Kris has a point. True, product is useless unless consumed. However, you should never have your "fans" be the ones who control how your works should be. Listening to the fans from time to time is good, but this too is best in small doses. At the end of the day, this is YOUR work, and you should have the final word, not someone you never met face to face.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: That giant neko   That giant neko - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 11:50 am

True. The trick is in balancing the two factors. You should do what you enjoy, but you also have to take in the desires of your audience.
Back to top Go down
vore4life99
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
vore4life99

PostSubject: Re: That giant neko   That giant neko - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 11:53 am

ZionAtriedes wrote:
Nyaha wrote:
Not everything NEEDS an explanation. Sometimes, as the author, you just have to put your foot down and say "this is how it is, deal with it."

THATS A BAD THING!?!

I think its a good idea, as a sub class for Giants/Giantesses, it makes sence like that, OR it could be a sub class for nekos, like giant elfs are a sub class of elfs.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: That giant neko   That giant neko - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 12:04 pm

However, you also need to think of yourself. Catering only to the established fans will result to another problem, which is the inability to attract more fans. You may want to serve your established fans to keep them satisfied, but you also need to be accessible to newcomers, because there will always be fanboys who will greedily want more and never be satisfied, which in turn will drive away newcomers due to elitism and because the work is only accessible to those who stuck since early. So in the end, catering only to the same fans will only lead to fighting for an increasingly smaller slice of pie, which will eventually completely disappear.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: That giant neko   That giant neko - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 12:07 pm

That's not entirely true. Identifying your target audience is crucial. You cannot, and will not, appease everyone. Trying to will please no one.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: That giant neko   That giant neko - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 12:10 pm

It is true, yes. But, like I said, catering only to your fanbase is also bad, since there are other people who enjoy the type of work that you do, but have yet to find you. If you become incredibly convoluted because you only go for the fans you had since the beginning, that's more people from the part of the demographic that you're aiming that you just miss. Like you said, it's a careful balance.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: That giant neko   That giant neko - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 12:13 pm

Umm, Karbo has already stated that he doesn't want to add in an entire race of giant nekos. Right now I think we're just beating a dead horse.

Personally, I think Jaette summed things up best.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: That giant neko   That giant neko - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 12:20 pm

Well Cliff, now it seems to have taken on more of a general "purpose for literature/art".

Yes, I agree that you should be open to new members, and throw them a few bones. It's just my opinion that the attitude of "I'm doing whatever I want because I can and you can just take it" is very immature and, frankly, stupid. That's the point I was trying to get across. Fans should respect your own ideas and desires, but at the same time, you need to respect them as well. I just got the impression that some people were advocating a complete disregard of anyone else.
Back to top Go down
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: That giant neko   That giant neko - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 12:37 pm

I'll quote Baudelaire again, he's just that awesome Razz

"They do not read my poems? Pff, so what? It just means it isn't made for their low spirits. I hold a part of truth, it's up to them if they want to take it or let it pass between their hands".

Now, im not saying peope that do not read new stories are dumb and all. no no no, its not the point. My point is: I do not care that much about my readers. Yes, they are fun and all, but never I'll try to please them with the kind of stories they want. I write what i want to write, and if they're unhappy about it, they can just go rp with trymeike (ooouuhh thats mean Very Happy) PLus that im not making money with the stories im writing. When you write real literature, not para-literature (like twilight or harry potter), the readers is the last of your concerns. you are writing a truth, its up to them if they want to take it or not Smile
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: That giant neko   That giant neko - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 12:51 pm

That is a pretty elitist attitude. Which is fine for you, but don't expect everyone else to agree. The truth is worthless if it's not heard.
Back to top Go down
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: That giant neko   That giant neko - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 12:53 pm

haha ive seen so much in literature that this attitude is a really passive one Smile

and ive never seen a book making 00000000000 dollars. you just need one selling to make your message go trhough.

Last edited by Krisexy26 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: That giant neko   That giant neko - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 12:55 pm

My point is that it may be the author that writes, but without fans, the author is nothing. This must be kept in mind, so remember to be humble about it. Readers make an author, not vice versa.

The writer never controls the reader, because the reader can always leave. The writer, however, cannot make them stay. The author is more of a pawn than the reader, usually.
Back to top Go down
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: That giant neko   That giant neko - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 12:59 pm

an author is, for me, someone that writes books. you are an author when you consider yourself one. you dont need the fans to remind you youre an author. "Is artist the person that considers himself one"

and ill just take your last sentence and change it into my words: "Is king someone that rules over something." An author is a king that rules his imaginary.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: That giant neko   That giant neko - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 1:02 pm

What Kris is saying is that the author is the authority of how a stories go, and he or she is the one who thinks works the best in the story. What compliments the mythos, the best way to continue the story, etc. Yes, fans are important for feedback. They may complain about something, view something as weak, which is good. It tells the writer points that he or she needs to improve on. But you shouldn't write only for the fans. You also want to write the story you want to write.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: That giant neko   That giant neko - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 1:03 pm

It's basic consumerism. Without consumers, a producer is really just wasting resources.

Rulers rule with the consent of the ruled.
Back to top Go down
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: That giant neko   That giant neko - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 1:07 pm

so you write for other people, zion?
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: That giant neko   That giant neko - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 1:11 pm

I write for myself, but I try to consider others as well. Without readers, an author has no recognition. What I am trying to say isn't that writing for yourself is bad. You should write for you. But you should also remember that, in the end, readers can decide whether they like it or not.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: That giant neko   That giant neko - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

That giant neko
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next