Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General Q and A

Go down 
+75
Darth_Nergal
Emerald Electronic
Oldman40k2003
Venom Agato
vore4life99
DaNoob13
DarkOne
Ilceren
McKindle
2Ron2R
AzureJass
HeavenlessStar
Boris92
Malahite
hhhat09
FalconJudge
jedi-explorer
EvilGenius
parameciumkid
Paltiel
Greyman
timing2
Rezec
/Fish/
Tango
Beefnautz
Pendragon
sadisticnerd
Axel Hunter
Archmage_Bael
MrNobody13
Darkstorm Zero
Black Aquila
ZionAtriedes
Iavlas
Silent_eric
TryMeIke
French snack
Saironthis
walkingbyself
Black Hole Fragment
Primeval Hunter
Nyaha
Krisexy26
gwadahunter2222
Vaderaz
zersergathant
TheArchvile
TheLightLost
AisuKaiko
itsmeyouidiot
CauldronBorn24
Slimetoad
Feadraug
Amaroq
macdaddy
The Ultimate
Claire
sparkythechu
Pim18
Jasconius
kikijonson
Anime-Junkie
luke112
aethernavale
Shady Knight
buddha66667
Prof.Nekko
Karbo
Jætte_Troll
Solomon
Sehoolighan
Grave
rcs619
Stabs
79 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Pim18
Marauder of the deep jungle
Pim18

General Q and A - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 4:24 am

Well the best thing you could do is create a character that is a species that already exists in Felarya. You can always post new ideas on the forum though!
Back to top Go down
The Ultimate
Great warrior
Great warrior
The Ultimate

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 4:32 am

Ok then, thanks people. Very Happy A big help to me since i'm new.
Back to top Go down
http://xxtheultimate39.deviantart.com/
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 4:41 am

About the avatar thing... I hope people don't think I'm a man-eating fairy, because I'm just a 27-year-old good and normal-sized man. xD But yes, some of us like to show our OCs as our avatar in this forum.

Now about character creation, as it has been mentioned, you better check the current species in Felarya, either predator or prey. Document yourself on which one fits your character better and learn how he/she could be implemented in the Felaryan setting better. It's a hard process, but with some feedback, you can flesh out a character that both pleases you and fits Felarya.
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 4:46 am

When creatign a character, you have two options;
To use a species that is native to Felarya; such as a Felaryan naga or dridder. (There are non-Felaryan variants of these species too.)
Or you can come up with an offworld character, someone of a species who isn't in the wiki.

Keep in mind that if you do choose to make a Felaryan native species, then you will have all the information on them available to you, which will make things much easier. You can't contradict things that are in canon though. Another obvious thing is that since they grew up in Felarya, they have the knowledge and experience that would impart.
As Feadraug has said, you will have something that will obviously fit in, since their species is already accepted.

If you choose to come up with something of your own, then obviously you will have the option to come up with whatever you want. However, since they would be n offworlder, they wouldn't have the same experience that a native would.
In addition, if you come up with something completely new, you run the risk of making something that just doesn't fit with the setting.

Since you are new, I strongly suggest that you talk to some older members about your idea, if you have one already. They will be able to provide invaluable feedback.

Everyone does this. I talk to people about my ideas and people talk to me about their ideas. This is a community, the chance for good ideas favours the connected mind.

Last edited by Anime-Junkie on Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : How do I spell word?)
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
macdaddy
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
macdaddy

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 5:28 am

Feadraug wrote:
About the avatar thing... I hope people don't think I'm a man-eating fairy, because I'm just a 27-year-old good and normal-sized man. xD But yes, some of us like to show our OCs as our avatar in this forum.

*gasp*

The Ultimate wrote:
Well I was not going to put sonic in felarya. So the avatar is the picture of your character in felarya?

Yeah my character is in my avatar. Also sorry i made a bad assumption
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 5:54 am

Yep, I have that thought as I was talking from the perspective of someone creating their first character. Better be sure you're in the right path by looking up the wiki for good info about some already established species to begin with.

macdaddy wrote:
Feadraug wrote:

*gasp*

Surprised? You shouldn't: my profile doesn't lie. xD
Back to top Go down
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 7:03 am

Arturia is too good to be one of my characters. I'm just paying homage to her. I know most people are actually used to seeing that spelled with an h, but ever since seeing it spelled without one I've never included it.

That said, I've never had an avatar that included one of my characters. I'm fairly certain on these boards my avatar has always been of Zefiris (Scrapped Princess), Arturia (Fate/Stay Night), or Penny (Inspector Gadget). I don't think I've used anything else.

As to races and characters, I'd say it depends on comfort level. I've done writing before Felarya, I just hadn't done any recently. It was easy for me to incorporate past participles and build upon them to create what is now my story. A lot of my characters are actually accidents or mistakes - S'ryne for one was never meant to be anything special. I have no idea where Euna came from. Ion and Nyselyn were in there from the get go. So was Warismat - actually, this is not the first story of mine where a Ti'Glath named Warismat was a central character....

It is the first time I've killed him off though. Heh.

Reya and Aidee were opposite sides of the spectrum. I have always loved the Eurhyssa wasp design, but I decided to feature my main character as a dridder. While I am arachnophobic, I can recognize the beauty and ingenuity in the design. The research I had to do into creating Reya was quite extensive, and I learned a lot along the way. Additionally, Reya and Jewel Dridders alike now share many ideas - Autu provided the idea for hair color and the initial implementation of her color pattern. Lyiba has localized a lot more of her detailed features, and for the first time showed her carapace as 'hard'. AJ, CB, and Sean added in bits and pieces when I was initially fleshing out the design, and FS provided feedback for a lot of my stories.

As has been said before, one has to be willing to let your character evolve. Notice I didn't say change - a good character doesn't require change. But as time goes by they will evolve or devolve in accordance with the skill of the author and the feedback of the reader.
Back to top Go down
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 9:28 am

I'll also add that when you are going to make a character a good start would be picking a race that isn't normally used. Felarya already has enough nagas, fairies and dridders to choke a dimensional whale with. Try using sphinxes, or squamataurs, or chlaenas, or jotuns, or even slimoids, or practically anything in the minor races section. It's a shame that beings with so many posibilities get often shunned for what everyone else follows.
Back to top Go down
The Ultimate
Great warrior
Great warrior
The Ultimate

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 10:11 am

Just seeing if this removes my character profile because this is a Q and A thing.... and yes I have played prototype I just used it for ideas.

Last edited by The Ultimate on Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
macdaddy
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
macdaddy

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 10:37 am

The Ultimate wrote:
Ok I think I have my character sorted out.

Name: Shadow

Not to sound mean or anything but have you played prototype by any chance?
Back to top Go down
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 11:09 am

The Ultimate wrote:

-A character bio-

This is the Questions and Answers thread, not one for posting character bios, please post in the correct place HERE
Back to top Go down
itsmeyouidiot
itsmeyouidiot

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 11:20 am

Just a quick question: is it possible for a human and a fairy to have a child?
Back to top Go down
The Ultimate
Great warrior
Great warrior
The Ultimate

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 4:02 pm

Another question from me:

What are the stars that some people have under thier names for example macdaddy has a couple of stars below the name. I want some stars below my name. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 4:08 pm

This is more a thread for general in-universe questions, but I will answer this anyway.
Stars have to do with your forum rank. It is nothing important, don't worry about it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 6:04 pm

itsmeyouidiot wrote:

Officially: Unknown

- Currently, we know that humans can only crossbreed with other near-human species (Elf/Human hybrids have been confirmed by Karbo to be possible)
- It is currently unknown if a human can produce a human/fairy hybrid by mating with a fairy.

Unofficially: Probably not (Keep in mind, this is just unofficial theorizing, taken from various forum discussions)

- A large number of people seem to feel that even humanoid species like Nekos and Inu would be too different for a human to crossbreed with and produce a child, so Fairies would also be out of the question.
- Even Fairies cannot crossbreed with other non-fairy species, besides Harpies, in the case of male fairies (Elementals don't really count, since the mating is done through magical means)

Personal views on why it should not be allowed
- Prevent abuses of Fairy magic
- Prevent people from saying "Oh, he/she is a human/fairy hybrid, and isn't voracious. He/She could totally get into Negav"
- A half-fairy with full use of fairy magic seems like it could lead to quite a few mary-sues/gary-stus (My personal opinion, remmeber)

Also, no, a non-voracious human/fairy hybrid would not be able to openly enter Negav. Assuming he/she takes after the fairy parent, and has wings and full use of fairy magic, they would likely be killed on sight.

It should be noted that human/fairy hybrids HAVE been done in other stories, with varying degrees of success. Depends how maturely an author can handle it, really.
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 6:11 pm

Personally, I say wait for Karbo's word on human/fairy hybrid. From what I can tell, there is no single consensus and many varying opinions.
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
Solomon

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 6:18 pm

is it true Naga and Human can bread with each other?
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 6:21 pm

No. In fact, they can't reproduce at all. They can't breed with dridders, or mermaids, or any other species, with the exception of elves.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Sehoolighan
Survivor
Survivor
Sehoolighan

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 7:03 pm

Yes, also how can they turn into each other into bread, you daft little boy. Learn your basic spelling boy.
Back to top Go down
http://sehoolighan.deviantart.com/
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 7:15 pm

Sehoolighan wrote:
Yes, also how can they turn into each other into bread, you daft little boy. Learn your basic spelling boy.

laugh out loud
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 7:19 pm

Solomon wrote:
is it true Naga and Human can bread with each other?

Nope.

In general, creatures are unable to breed outside of their own species.

Nagas can only breed with nagas, dridders can only breed with dridders, mermaids can only breed with mermaids, and so on. This is due to a variety of reasons, both genetic and physiological. Also it saves us the trouble of having to decide what the kids from cross-hybrid pairings would even look like.

There are a couple exceptions though:

- Humans can crossbreed with Elves.

- Harpies, an all female species, HAVE to breed with the male of another species to have a child. Some kind of mechanic in their reproducive process ensures that the child of that union is
ALWAYS female, and ALWAYS a Harpy though. Keep in mind, this is size-limited. Giant Harpies can only breed with giant males, and human-sized harpies can only breed with human-sized males.

- Dryads, because they use the pollen of wild plants around them, technically crossbreed with them.

- Fairies can "breed" with elementals, although, this is some form of magical union instead of a physical one. Since physically breeding with Elementals would be a very unpleasent, and potentially fatal experience.

There are also a few pairings that we just don't have any official word on yet:

- Human/Neko (or Inu) crossbreeding. Most people assume that this would be impossible, since they are much more different from a human than an Elf is. I would call this one to be right "on the fence" of plausability, personally. I can understand why different people say it should, or shouldn't be possible...and while I tend to side with "should not happen", it wouldn't bother me too much of this was allowed.

- Human/Fairy crossbreeding. As stated in my last post, there isn't an official stance on if this can happen. A good chunk of people in the various forum debates have been against it though.

NOTE: Keep in mind, inter-species sex is completely possible, since most have compatible parts. It just won't lead to any children.
Back to top Go down
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 10:25 pm

rcs619 wrote:
- Harpies, an all female species, HAVE to breed with the male of another species to have a child. Some kind of mechanic in their reproducive process ensures that the child of that union is
ALWAYS female, and ALWAYS a Harpy though. Keep in mind, this is size-limited. Giant Harpies can only breed with giant males, and human-sized harpies can only breed with human-sized males.

I know I've covered this several times in the past, but it isn't some magical/mythical process without a name. It is essentially pseudogamy parthenogenesis aka gynogenesis. The only variation between the real life thing and what harpies do in Felarya is that some of the father's traits are expressed in the child (where as in the Earth example only maternal traits are expressed - ie no genetic material is shared).
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 1:23 am

itsmeyouidiot wrote:

Yes definitely. The archmage Mezzus can confirm that ^^
The result would vary but in most case the baby would be wingless though
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 4:17 am

Karbo wrote:
itsmeyouidiot wrote:

Yes definitely. The archmage Mezzus can confirm that ^^
The result would vary but in most case the baby would be wingless though

Can we assume that they would lack Fairy size-changing magic as well?

This would make the child, essentially, just a human that is very gifted in magic (due to one of his parent's being a fairy, and all fairies being extremely skilled magic users?)
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 4:18 am

I would buy that: wingless, with no shrinking magic, but gifted when it comes to other kinds of magic. That would prevent them to be godmodders, like fairies have been for some time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Q and A
Page 3 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next