Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap

Go down 
+3
ZionAtriedes
EdgedWeapon
Tango
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Tango
Helpless prey
Tango

Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap Empty
PostSubject: Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap   Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 9:03 pm

Oh God Tango made a thread. Lets see how much this gets used.
Back to top Go down
Tango
Helpless prey
Tango

PostSubject: Red Crested Howler   Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 9:21 pm

Red Crested Howlers
3 feet tall - 5 feet long
Red Crested Howlers are highly territorial primates living in the upper layer of the Chidokai Forest and the Chanossa Mangrove.
They are higly agile; easily capable of leaping across clearings between trees.
Howlers defend their territory no matter what the threat. Be it a giant naga or a band of neko hunters, they use the same defense; perching on a branch high above the intruder and howling in chorus
Their howls are so loud, prolonged exposure to can cause adventurers to go permanently deaf. This defensive tactic is quite effective, however in order to protect themselves from their own howls, Howlers have very poor or no hearing.

I illustrated it, but the file is really big so I put it in a spoiler thing.
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
EdgedWeapon
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
EdgedWeapon

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap   Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 10:27 pm

Your pic looks great! I really like this idea.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap   Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 10:50 pm

Holy shit, holy shit, Tango is posting! Hit the alarm!

I think I said my piece on dA, but yeah. I like the idea of howler monkeys in Felarya. Smaller pack animals, extremely territorial, clever, etcetera. Fits the setting quite well. I am surprised it wasn't already done.

The added detail of the screams being dangerous makes them an excellent example of a species adapting unique defenses to suit their harsh environment. An exotic danger to adventurers and preds alike.
Back to top Go down
Prof.Nekko
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Prof.Nekko

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap   Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 12:30 am

Well Ms Rarity, I must say that the monkeys are a well built species, only true threat is either a previously deaf predator, or a victim of their howling who grew bitter about going deaf and chooses to retaliate. Other then that, perfectly fine
Back to top Go down
Tango
Helpless prey
Tango

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap   Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 1:39 am

Quote :
Your pic looks great! I really like this idea.

Thank you Smile

Quote :
Holy shit, holy shit, Tango is posting! Hit the alarm!

I think I said my piece on dA, but yeah. I like the idea of howler monkeys in Felarya. Smaller pack animals, extremely territorial, clever, etcetera. Fits the setting quite well. I am surprised it wasn't already done.

The added detail of the screams being dangerous makes them an excellent example of a species adapting unique defenses to suit their harsh environment. An exotic danger to adventurers and preds alike.
AWWW LAWWD CALL THE SWAT TEAM

I'm honestly surprised as well. Especially in an environment like Chidokai with all those trees.

Quote :
Well Ms Rarity, I must say that the monkeys are a well built species, only true threat is either a previously deaf predator, or a victim of their howling who grew bitter about going deaf and chooses to retaliate. Other then that, perfectly fine

Lol XD To be perfectly honest I didn't think of that. But hey, everything has a weakness. They'd probably run like hell once they realized the howling wasn't working.
Back to top Go down
Tango
Helpless prey
Tango

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap   Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 6:56 pm

Ytmeanaut Salamander
Size: Varies
Ytmeanaut Salamanders are a species of amphibian that primarily inhabits Mycoria forest, but have also been spotted in other parts of the Great Marshes.
They are rather foul looking; scaley, slimey and colored brown with green patches like the moss covered swamps they reside in. Ytmeanauts can be as big as a man's foot, or large enough to swallow a man whole. They eat anything they can fit in their mouth, from small rodents to small predators.
If a larger predator attempts to eat a Ytmeanaut and manages to get a hold of it's tail, it will perform an autotomy on it's own tail. Meaning, the Ytmeanaut detaches itself from it's tail. The tail left behind will continue to wiggle around, startling and distracting the predator while the Ytmeanaut escapes. It's not a terrible loss, as the tail regenerates itself after about six to seven days.
If the autotomy fails and the salamander is swallowed whole, it merely has to wait inside it's stomach until the predator dies. Ytmeanauts secreat an extremely poisonous mucus that not only kills larger predators in a matter of minutes, but is highly resistant to the effects of stomach acids. The salamander will then climb up the predator's esophagus and right out of it's mouth to freedom.
The sight of a salamander crawling out of a dead predator's mouth is very distressing for sentient predators. Only predators with extremely powerful stomachs dare to try to devour a Ytmeanaut Salamander. Otherwise they are avoided entirely.

Also illustrated.
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap   Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 11:29 pm

I bet this is how Crisis trains >__>
Back to top Go down
Tango
Helpless prey
Tango

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap   Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 12:16 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
I bet this is how Crisis trains >__>

XD
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap   Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 10:40 am

Hmm, pardon my lack of understanding for anatomy, but when one dies, do the muscles that constrict the esophagus and the associated sphincters relax after death enough for this critter to climb through?
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
Tango
Helpless prey
Tango

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap   Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 11:19 am

AisuKaiko wrote:
Hmm, pardon my lack of understanding for anatomy, but when one dies, do the muscles that constrict the esophagus and the associated sphincters relax after death enough for this critter to climb through?

I'd imagine so. The rest of the body becomes completely limp after death. There's no longer a brain to tell the esophagus to tighten up. I don't know for sure though. I got the idea after watching it happen on a nature show.
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap   Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 11:57 am

Ah, alright. I was thinking something along the lines of rigor mortis would affect internal muscles like that o:
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
Tango
Helpless prey
Tango

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap   Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 12:24 pm

AisuKaiko wrote:
Ah, alright. I was thinking something along the lines of rigor mortis would affect internal muscles like that o:

I just looked up rigor mortis and you were right. But it doesn't go into effect after about three hours in humans, probably much longer for a giant predator.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap   Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 7:43 am

Mhh those are nice ideas Smile
and the pictures you drawed really helps a lot to see what you have in mind ^^
Of the two my favorite would be the howler. I think they fit really well in an environment like Chidokai and they way you have designed them give them a distinct, slighty creepy look that is quite unique. Great job ^^
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap   Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tango's Ideas for Creatures and Other Crap
Page 1 of 1