Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Fruit and Veggies Thread!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

The Fruit and Veggies Thread! Empty
PostSubject: The Fruit and Veggies Thread!   The Fruit and Veggies Thread! Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 11:26 am

Felarya has a lot of unique flora, but I figure this exotic lands needs more exotic produce growing wildly in its forests. I post this thread specifically for ideas about fruit and vegetables that would grow here.

Banatoe

Banatoe plants are tall herbaceous stems that stick out from the ground with a few leaves drooping from the apex. This extremely common plant grows all over the forests of mid-Felarya. It's fruit is a bit odd, however; it is an ovular object with a peel and soft inside similar to a banana. The white insides are rather starchy, and are generally baked whole, mashed, or stewed. It is a mildly nutritious food very commonly served alongside main courses. The orange peel, however, is a sweet, vanilla-like flavor that can be eaten as well. Banatoe peel pies are a common treat in Negav, and, due to the abundance of the fruit, boiled banatoe peels are a very common dessert in the poorer parts of the city.

Succuberry

Growing on small stalks throughout Felarya are the small, oblong red berries known as succuberries. By themselves, they are very rarely eaten due to the legendarily massive amount of capsaicin in each berry. The burn of just one berry is said to be equal to the fires of hell engulfing and consuming your tongue, hence the name. One berry is dangerous, but too many, even just two for some, can be fatal! Naturally, there are daredevils who will pop these berries just for the sake of doing so, but just one drop of the extract will make any dish a wildfire of burning heat. Aside from food, succuberries are used in especially strong pepper sprays, and are also applied to clothing as deterrents for predators, an act that would require extreme care that bare skin does not touch the succuberry extract, as it would be extremely painful.

Sugarsprig

A weird vine that spirals upward its entire life. The stem is a light green helix than can reach as high as 20 feet. While it doesn't have any fruit, the stem has a noticeable amount of sweetness when bitten into. The flavor is a bit odd, like a sweetened piece of lettuce. As such, the juice of the sugarsprig as used by many as a mild sweetener in food and drinks. Vials of sugarsprig juice can be bought cheaply in Negav markets just for the purpose for sweetening just about anything that needs to be sweetened. As for the plant itself, it may be diced and added to a salad for a more welcoming flavor, or perhaps boiled in a soup to flavor the broth. In pies, as toppings on frozen deserts, as garnish, and even in candy, sugarsprig has a wide variety of uses.

Chillberry

Found in low-laying bushes in colder areas of Felarya, these have a metallic light blue outer flesh and a glimmering white meat. These berries are mildly sweet and have a soothing tingling sensation on one's tongue. An interesting property of this berry is the ability to instantly soothe any sort of burning after eating something spicy, an effect even more powerful than that of milk. The juice can also be used to temporally relieve pain in wounds quite quickly. The juice is typically kept in vials and stockpiled by those who take it upon themselves to soothe the pain of their peers, and also by those who love spicy food.

Beach Melon

Beach melons are, as their name suggests, found growing near sandy beaches. These huge blue melons can reach the size of a small house. One human couldn't possibly eat an entire melon; it would require dozens. Crabs will, however, burrow into them and, over the course of several days, hollow out the melons' shells, leaving them to eventually dry out and die. Humans will use these husks as temporary shelters when camping out by the beach to hide from predators who may pass by the area occasionally. However, many are savvy with this use for the melons, and will smash them open in search of tasty morsels hiding in them.

Last edited by AisuKaiko on Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
MetaSkipper
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
MetaSkipper

PostSubject: Re: The Fruit and Veggies Thread!   The Fruit and Veggies Thread! Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 6:07 pm

It is... somewhat delicious?

But cool ideas.
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: The Fruit and Veggies Thread!   The Fruit and Veggies Thread! Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 11:11 am

THanks o: I'd appreciate tips or criticisms so that I may improve upon these ideas O:
Back to top Go down
French snack
French snack

PostSubject: Re: The Fruit and Veggies Thread!   The Fruit and Veggies Thread! Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 1:31 pm

Nice ideas. They're imaginative but realistic. They could be rather useful.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: The Fruit and Veggies Thread!   The Fruit and Veggies Thread! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 4:05 pm

Nice work on those ^^
They are well described and I got hungry just by reading the description :3
I think I'm going to create a page on plants for edible ones
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: The Fruit and Veggies Thread!   The Fruit and Veggies Thread! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 11:59 am

Ah yes, that would be interesting o:
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: The Fruit and Veggies Thread!   The Fruit and Veggies Thread! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 10:06 am

I'd like to add the Banatoe , Succuberry and Sugarsprig ^^
the descriptions are really nice and would add to the diversity of plants :3 ( I'll might just change some names though )
As always, do you agree with the disclaimer ?
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: The Fruit and Veggies Thread!   The Fruit and Veggies Thread! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 10:10 am

Yup, by all means, go for it O:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Fruit and Veggies Thread!   The Fruit and Veggies Thread! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Fruit and Veggies Thread!
Page 1 of 1