Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Human Military's and War in Felarya

Go down 
+6
Archmage_Bael
DarkOne
rcs619
French snack
TheLightLost
ScoobyofDoo
10 posters
AuthorMessage
ScoobyofDoo
Tasty morsel

Location : Taking a stroll through a strange grove... wait do those bushes have teeth!!!

Human Military's and War in Felarya Empty
PostSubject: Human Military's and War in Felarya   Human Military's and War in Felarya Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 3:37 pm

War in Felarya

Okay i apologize if i screw this up in some fashion (as I'm still new to the universe) but i think it would be a good idea if some of the military groups of Felarya started coming in with more force, and began having skirmishes with one another. Especially the Deluran's and the Miratan as both seem to want the same thing from Felarya; to expand there empires using the naturally occurring dimensional portals and phenomena there. The ensuing conflicts could open up more, normally inaccessible, parts of Felarya'n world. Also adding new points from which more stories could be told. Not only that, but it could give some more identity to the humans that inhabit the world, as well as the differences between the multiple cultures that live there.

However I'm also not blind to the difficulties faced by adding this kind of thing into the story. Problems i can think of range from the giant sentient creatures beating the c*** out of both sides, transportation and contact between the sides (being halfway across the world from another and being trapped by naga and faerie's), and finally a really good reason the sides should be fighting over Felarya since the whole place is a death trap (not mentioning the guardians).

But despite these problems i still think it would be a good idea to add these kinds of conflicts into the story for the reasons above, and more that come to mind, but I leave it as always to the community and creators of the universe.
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: Human Military's and War in Felarya   Human Military's and War in Felarya Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 3:53 pm

I believe the Miritan's are owned by Randomdude so not much can be done with that group without his approva,l if I'm not mistaken.

And welcome to the food chain. We're happy to have you. c:
Back to top Go down
French snack
French snack

PostSubject: Re: Human Military's and War in Felarya   Human Military's and War in Felarya Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 12:23 am

I think the Delurans and the Miratans have enough to deal with at present without actively looking for additional conflicts. Wink
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Human Military's and War in Felarya   Human Military's and War in Felarya Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 6:49 am

ScoobyofDoo wrote:
War in Felarya

Okay i apologize if i screw this up in some fashion (as I'm still new to the universe) but i think it would be a good idea if some of the military groups of Felarya started coming in with more force, and began having skirmishes with one another. Especially the Deluran's and the Miratan as both seem to want the same thing from Felarya; to expand there empires using the naturally occurring dimensional portals and phenomena there. The ensuing conflicts could open up more, normally inaccessible, parts of Felarya'n world. Also adding new points from which more stories could be told. Not only that, but it could give some more identity to the humans that inhabit the world, as well as the differences between the multiple cultures that live there.

However I'm also not blind to the difficulties faced by adding this kind of thing into the story. Problems i can think of range from the giant sentient creatures beating the c*** out of both sides, transportation and contact between the sides (being halfway across the world from another and being trapped by naga and faerie's), and finally a really good reason the sides should be fighting over Felarya since the whole place is a death trap (not mentioning the guardians).

But despite these problems i still think it would be a good idea to add these kinds of conflicts into the story for the reasons above, and more that come to mind, but I leave it as always to the community and creators of the universe.

Keep in mind, both the Delurans and Miritans are there to assess Felarya's potential as a colony. I think we can say with some certainty that both of them realize that just isn't going to work by now. I imagine the only reason both bases are still even around is because it'd be too much of a hassle to remove them, and Felarya is a real gem from a scientific standpoint. They're both just holed up in their respective bases, not really bothering anyone.

On top of that, they're hundreds of miles apart, separated by jungle, mountains and the city of Negav. It wouldn't surprise me if the two groups are not even aware of each others existence.

Honestly, any kind of war in Felarya would be miserable. Both the Delurans' guns, and the Miritans' advanced tech and mechs would requires inordinate amounts of maintenance to keep working out in the field. I'm not even worried about giant preds, really. Deluran guns and Miritan mechs should be able to handle them just fine (there's a reason no one bothers the Miritan base, and why Delurans only get eaten outside the base). I'd worry more about all the different kinds of dangerous wildlife, and all the poisonous and/or carnivorous plants. They are a lot more common and a lot more unpredictable than a naga or a couple fairies.
Back to top Go down
ScoobyofDoo
Tasty morsel

Location : Taking a stroll through a strange grove... wait do those bushes have teeth!!!

PostSubject: Re: Human Military's and War in Felarya   Human Military's and War in Felarya Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 9:03 am

Okay thanks for the catch, ill try to come up with some more ideas soon...

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Human Military's and War in Felarya   Human Military's and War in Felarya Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 5:56 am

If I may add an idea to this, I kind of find the idea of human settlements on Felarya not greatly aware of each other interesting. But what if there was an underground group of beings that did know of every human settlements and worked behind the scenes to keep any world wars from happening, mainly by keeping them separate, keeping them blissfully unaware of each other and most of all, keeping them civil within their own communities. They might even work to promote the dangerous wildlife to ensure this status quo, having calculated that the lost of life out there is a worthy sacrifice compared to the lost of life major conflicts would have. Kinda like the ending of Watchmen

One of my more crazyier ideas I know, and perhaps not too realistic. But I just find the concept of prevention of a dreadful war much more suspenseful than the actual depiction of it. The idea that things can go very wrong if this group was to make one big blunder adds another Dimension of the survival motif that Felarya is essentially all about.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Human Military's and War in Felarya   Human Military's and War in Felarya Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 6:43 am

Keep in mind, the main reason why human settlements don't know of each other is because they're too far apart, hundreds and thousands of miles apart. Safe travel between them is not feasible, and raising and army and equipment...well you'd probably get most of your casualties on the way TO the battlefield.

An underground tunnel sounds cool. That'd be a big undertaking, and I have no idea who would have built it, or if a map exists, or anything. The problem with the tunnel is it only sounds cool...

wars aren't that common in felarya. Small battles are pretty frequent, but there's few species that really ever go to war. Dridders, Elementals, Crimson Maidens (specifically), and a couple others I'm pretty sure I'm missing...

sorry if I burst anyone's bubble.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Human Military's and War in Felarya   Human Military's and War in Felarya Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 7:49 am

Yeah, gotta agree with Bael on this one.

Felarya is REALLY huge. So unless they have some way of mapping the world that doesn't involve getting eaten in the process, it won't happen.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Human Military's and War in Felarya   Human Military's and War in Felarya Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 8:24 am

To be fair, I can readily see a (Demi)Human army moving from Point A to Point B (assuming it's not an absurd distance like from the Map's bottom-left to top-right) without taking extensive casualties.

The issue being that these armies would be well and true armies, with noticeable Mage support and degrees of armament, and these sort of armies tend to piss off the Guardians and other factions something fierce. If you have an army that's capable of bringing well and true war to Felarya, you should also realize that it's probably going to be in most powers' interests to remove your capability (especially if you're threatening one of the Guardians' pet projects, like the Fairy Kingdom). Warfare in Felarya comes in only two varieties: Skirmishes and horrific destruction.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Human Military's and War in Felarya   Human Military's and War in Felarya Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 9:34 am

Define army though.
A full scale army is a pretty big affair. With army, I think we're looking at least 200,000 men. That's a lot of men to provide food, ammo and other supplies for.

Honestly, I can't see groups bigger than a platoon (around 50 men) moving with any kind of ease. Maybe a smaller company. Not because they'd be in danger; they'd probably be able to take any single threat assuming they had modern or near modern weapons.
Why? Because logistics would be horrifying; at least in the jungle. Areas like The Great Rocky Fields are another matter though.

Also, I wouldn't say that the guardians would get involved with any Army that couldn't take Negav easily, since any army that could would be able to siege and if they can siege like that they can actually survive the jungle.
Basically, Unless it can actually seriously affect the status quo, I don't see the Guardians getting involved. They're not babysitters.

That's what would kill a large army, attrition from the jungle.
While that may contradict what I said earlier about 50 men being able to take any single threat, when you've got a massive force large enough to siege a well defended, heavily militarized city like Negav, it's going to attract more than the attention of a single target.

Quote :
Felarya is REALLY huge. So unless they have some way of mapping the world that doesn't involve getting eaten in the process, it won't happen.
Harpy/jetbike/other aerial vehicle + camera + rangefinder + a decent cartographer = usable map.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Human Military's and War in Felarya   Human Military's and War in Felarya Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 10:16 am

Anime-Junkie wrote:
Define army though.
A full scale army is a pretty big affair. With army, I think we're looking at least 200,000 men. That's a lot of men to provide food, ammo and other supplies for.
And if you've got such a population on Felarya in the first place, you most probably have logistics at least partially under control. Fuel could potentially be a concern, seeing as most of it likely has to be imported, but again if you have enough to move something like a few dozen / hundred thousand to Felarya, you probably have at least some sort of basic ground-plan set up unless you had some really shitty luck (Ex: Your army carrying troopship crashed through a portal into Felarya).

Anime-Junkie wrote:
Honestly, I can't see groups bigger than a platoon (around 50 men) moving with any kind of ease.
I can, recall that several areas of Felarya have Giant Predator paths carved out, and many of those could roll a reasonably sized armored column through 'em. People tend to forget that while Felarya is a Jungle, it's scaled to the point of Giant Predators. A path just wide enough for a Giant Naga / Slug Girl / slithering Predator to carefully slither through is also big enough to fit several tanks through and not have them anywhere near touching hulls (assuming a Naga's tail never gets wider than their shoulders, and they approach the human norm, a Giant Naga would need a path at least 10m wide just to fit, 20m more to actually move their lower half). Theoretically, with a tank's space between them, you could fit a good 3-5 M1 Abrams down a smoothed Naga path per row.

Anime-Junkie wrote:
Why? Because logistics would be horrifying; at least in the jungle. Areas like The Great Rocky Fields are another matter though.
Depends a great deal on the army. Some of them operate under anime "Our mecha can traverse rough terrain" physics. The main issue I'd see with any army in Felarya is that air control would be a bitch: Either it's flying above the canopy (when talking about jungles) and has to get through a lot of shit to provide support to the forces below, or it's under the canopy and has some very obvious limitations to its flight operations (have fun if your chopper needs to turn back for five kilometers to fly over a tightening of the path, for example).

Anime-Junkie wrote:
Also, I wouldn't say that the guardians would get involved with any Army that couldn't take Negav easily, since any army that could would be able to siege and if they can siege like that they can actually survive the jungle.
Negav and the Miratan base, next to maybe the Fairy Kingdom, are probably the hardest parts of Negav to siege. The Miratan base can literally last indefinitely so long as the hostiles are outside their walls (and considering their armaments, it'd take a great deal for any sort of army to break in and keep gaining ground), whereas Negav has been designed from the ground up to withstand siege. Plus, several powers would probably step in to help Negav if it was under heavy assault, as a lost Negav is a lost Nekomura (for example). Add in that it has magical enchantments in place against Giant Predators, and reasonably well armed walls, your only real bet to take Negav without accepting hilarious casualties is starving it out slowly and fighting a battle of morale.

Anime-Junkie wrote:
Basically, Unless it can actually seriously affect the status quo, I don't see the Guardians getting involved. They're not babysitters.
I 'unno, some of them have their own affiliated groups (Fairy Kingdom, for example), and might react poorly to something happening if it changes the status quo outside their favor (even if the others say it's within acceptable limits).
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Human Military's and War in Felarya   Human Military's and War in Felarya Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 11:08 am

Malahite wrote:
Anime-Junkie wrote:
Honestly, I can't see groups bigger than a platoon (around 50 men) moving with any kind of ease.
I can, recall that several areas of Felarya have Giant Predator paths carved out, and many of those could roll a reasonably sized armored column through 'em. People tend to forget that while Felarya is a Jungle, it's scaled to the point of Giant Predators. A path just wide enough for a Giant Naga / Slug Girl / slithering Predator to carefully slither through is also big enough to fit several tanks through and not have them anywhere near touching hulls (assuming a Naga's tail never gets wider than their shoulders, and they approach the human norm, a Giant Naga would need a path at least 10m wide just to fit, 20m more to actually move their lower half). Theoretically, with a tank's space between them, you could fit a good 3-5 M1 Abrams down a smoothed Naga path per row..
This is true. I was more thinking unmechanized/unmotorized.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

PostSubject: Re: Human Military's and War in Felarya   Human Military's and War in Felarya Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 1:16 pm

Given that the main real limitation to any form of open war on Felarya is relative small populations you'd need a very good reason, such as your survival as a race/faction, for you to risk the lives of your people. Any society who had a war monger as a leader will most likely died out very quickly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Human Military's and War in Felarya   Human Military's and War in Felarya Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Human Military's and War in Felarya
Page 1 of 1