Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics

Go down 
+30
Ilceren
ravaging vixen
French snack
Malahite
Alec and 1337
Amaroq
/Fish/
Nyaha
Darth_Nergal
McKindle
Oldman40k2003
FalconJudge
Archmage_Bael
Emerald Electronic
EvilGenius
Karbo
gwadahunter2222
Claire
Stabs
Feadraug
Vaderaz
DarkOne
Venom Agato
Grave
Pendragon
parameciumkid
rcs619
jedi-explorer
Shady Knight
Zephyr102
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Zephyr102
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Zephyr102

The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 1:37 pm

I do wonder if the anti-aging effect is purely magical in nature, or does it cause the body to do something that would halt the aging process?

If one were to look at the DNA of a person from Felarya, would you find that their telomeres regenerate with every cell division so that they never get shorter? As I understand it, that is one of if not the primary cause of senescence. Combined with the powerful immune system and increased healing abilities (which would also realistically count on long-ass telomeres to function correctly) and you have at least the end reason why people don't age or get sick, the root cause being the magic in the soil.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 3:06 pm

There's biological ways to "cure" aging. There's one person I read about recently in popular science who was researching ways to slow the aging process down, and the man responsible has been doing a very good job. His research accidentally led to an anti-cancer drug that has some ludicrously high percentage for "curing". I'd have to find the article again frankly, but my point is its possible for aging to be negated biologically, though probably just walking on the soil wouldn't be good enough, or even if it's an airborne "cure" I wouldn't have any clue how it'd work, nor would I want to try and find out. It's not my field of expertise.

As for the immune system thing, Cliff, I'm afraid I have to call you out on that I don't really think you know what you're talking about here. The wiki says "boosts the immune system" it doesn't specify exactly whether it increases its aggressive behavior or powerful responses, but either way that can still lead to auto-immune diseases. I'm not even sure "a more powerful response" even exists as a separate definition really, and autoimmune disease "how it occurs" doesn't even specify whether its because of "a more powerful response" or "a more aggressive response" anyway.
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 3:41 pm

Did any of you know that cancer is immortal? Cells in malignant tumors have found mysterious ways of regenerating their telomeres and otherwise cheating death, and consequently can be cultured for decades without any sign of degradation.
Obviously the way it works is that everyone in Felarya has cancer so bad it's completely replaced their somatic cells by the time they're 20. xD
Back to top Go down
http://helia.net63.net
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 3:49 pm

This explains nagas. Obviously their tails are just one big cancerous tumor.

"LOL you have cancer!"

*NOM*
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 6:26 pm

I guess from a biological standpoint, the soil in Felarya immensely increase the creation of anti-bodies in someone's immune system, to the point if an infection occurred, it would be like walking in a wide open battlefield with like twelve million enemy soldiers already there and aiming at them. As for the aging, Karbo has been on the fence and considered nerfing it to simply higher longevity. I don't really want this to turn into an argument to whether it should be higher longevity or that the person's body no longer deteriorate from old age altogether, but I just thought to bring that up. I'm fairly sure it's magic based since once the soil is no longer in Felarya, it loses most of its power.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 9:02 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
There's biological ways to "cure" aging. There's one person I read about recently in popular science who was researching ways to slow the aging process down, and the man responsible has been doing a very good job. His research accidentally led to an anti-cancer drug that has some ludicrously high percentage for "curing". I'd have to find the article again frankly, but my point is its possible for aging to be negated biologically, though probably just walking on the soil wouldn't be good enough, or even if it's an airborne "cure" I wouldn't have any clue how it'd work, nor would I want to try and find out. It's not my field of expertise.

As for the immune system thing, Cliff, I'm afraid I have to call you out on that I don't really think you know what you're talking about here. The wiki says "boosts the immune system" it doesn't specify exactly whether it increases its aggressive behavior or powerful responses, but either way that can still lead to auto-immune diseases. I'm not even sure "a more powerful response" even exists as a separate definition really, and autoimmune disease "how it occurs" doesn't even specify whether its because of "a more powerful response" or "a more aggressive response" anyway.

Its a magical immortality factor on a magical extra-dimensional world. Of course no one here knows what we're talking about regarding it =P The immortality factor is a nice little bit of setting fluff, not something to be strained and twisted up so much. You live forever, you don't get sick. I don't think auto-immune diseases would happen because they're against the spirit of the healing factor. Its like trying to figure out the extra-dimensional physics that allows 115ft tall people to exist without any negative side-effects to their health and/or mobility. Its just a part of Felarya and it just works.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 10:10 pm

Well, in light of the wiki saying "a greatly boosting supplement to an organism's own immune system" I can safely talk about auto-immune responses. In regards to that, yes, we know what we're talking about. The problem is bringing up "aggressive" vs "strength" which is what I'm calling you out on, because I'm not even sure those terms are different. Auto immune responses increase white blood cell count, and they perceive other parts of your own body as a pathogen - attacking its own cells. So there is no real difference between "aggressive" and "more powerful response". Its not like a video game where white blood cells have 120 health, 4 attack, and the soil gives it 150 health and 6 attack as opposed to increasing ally army by +2 or something; thereby making a difference between "stronger" and "aggressive".
Back to top Go down
FalconJudge
Hero
Hero
FalconJudge

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 5:14 am

What would happen to a Lich in Felarya? They're undead, and rely on posessing their own bodies... would they just fall apart? Could they still regenerate and use their various magic powers, besides raising the dead?
Back to top Go down
http://falconjudge2.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 6:12 am

Bael, now you're just arguing for the sake of arguing. I know this is contrary to the spirit of this thread, but this is just one of those things you just have to nod and say "it just does".

As for Judge, that would depend on the definition of Lich. Contrary to popular belief, not everything is tied to D&D. Also, the wiki explicitly stated that undeads can survive on Felarya, just that you can't create them there. Case in point, Tanya is a vampire, an undead, and has been able to survive on Felarya just fine before the clusterfuck of plot points happened. So yes, it would still be to use most of its magic powers, because in Felarya, necromancy is pretty much limited to forcibly calling a soul from the afterlife to reanimate a dead body or bring it back to life. This was a question that had been clearly answered a while back, so next time, do some research.
Back to top Go down
FalconJudge
Hero
Hero
FalconJudge

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 11:01 am

I sense hostility. Either way, nice to know.
Back to top Go down
http://falconjudge2.deviantart.com/
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 1:20 pm

No that's just Shady, he's constantly on hostile mode
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 2:01 pm

No, that's just me pointing out something in a blunt manner. Bluntness does not equate hostility.
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 2:49 pm

Strictly speaking, Shady's right. I wouldn't agree with telling you what to do, Falcon, but let's take this in stride and not make a mountain out of a molehill.

the wiki wrote:
[...]A wandering spirit can still decide to possess a body on its own, [...].
Long as the lich's soul doesn't go to its reward, it can keep possessing things. Like its own body, as you say. On the other hand, as we're overthinking now and you didn't ask in the Q&A thread, I say if you go by the strict definition of the D&D lich, it can form its body... but once destroyed, it won't be able to reform its body while in Felarya, as it'd have to animate it all over again, and that doesn't work.

Alternatively, if you're doing a lich in another style, like Ambrose Bierce's, HP Lovecraft's, Fritz Lieber's, Gardner Fox's... can't help ya there, bro.
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 4:03 pm

talking of the none aging process, Do Felaryian people still go through the Menopause?

A female is born with all the eggs cells she will ever need stored away. After the fetus stage the body doesn't produce anymore. So even though living on Felarya will stop you from aging past your prime, technically you'd will still run out of eggs and enter the Menopause.

Though reproductive systems lifespan would vary to speices to speices, but still surely alot of the young looking but really old characters in Felarya are incapable of becoming pregnant.

Unless there's some magic force that creates new egg cells, creating a reproductive cycle that goes on forever.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 8:36 pm

DarkOne wrote:
talking of the none aging process, Do Felaryian people still go through the Menopause?

A female is born with all the eggs cells she will ever need stored away. After the fetus stage the body doesn't produce anymore. So even though living on Felarya will stop you from aging past your prime, technically you'd will still run out of eggs and enter the Menopause.

Though reproductive systems lifespan would vary to speices to speices, but still surely alot of the young looking but really old characters in Felarya are incapable of becoming pregnant.

Unless there's some magic force that creates new egg cells, creating a reproductive cycle that goes on forever.

Hmmm, unsure. I want to say that the spirit of the healing factor is that it freezes you, and all your bodily processes, at your biological prime. My thought would be that there wouldn't be menopause. But then again, no one has ever said for certain.
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 8:42 pm

DarkOne wrote:
Menopause...

A quick internet search suggests that human females have roughly 400,000 eggs; this translates to about 3,300 years if expended at a rate of 1 every month. So from a logical standpoint, any of the female character who are over three millenium old and have human like biology probably should not be able to get pregnant.

However, I suspect that the real answer is: they can get pregnant if the plot demands it. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
Zephyr102
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Zephyr102

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 7:21 pm

Oldman40k2003 wrote:
DarkOne wrote:
Menopause...

A quick internet search suggests that human females have roughly 400,000 eggs; this translates to about 3,300 years if expended at a rate of 1 every month. So from a logical standpoint, any of the female character who are over three millenium old and have human like biology probably should not be able to get pregnant.

However, I suspect that the real answer is: they can get pregnant if the plot demands it. Smile
Up to 1,000 eggs are lost and absorbed by the body per cycle per every 1 egg that ovulates however, so it is possible for a woman to hit menopause at only 33 years of age (although usually this happens in their 40's or 50's)
So, unless the body does regenerate ovarian follicles, Crisis, who is about 80 years old, could be dealing with all manner of unpleasantness, supposing she has a menstrual cycle, which is up for debate given our lack of understanding of reproductive habits among not only Giant Nagas but a large portion of life in Felarya.
I'm going to chalk this one up to Healing Factor/ Felaryan Immortality.

EDIT: LEVEL UP! I'm no longer any manner of morsel, prey, food, or snack! Zephyr102 takes Fleet as a 5th level feat.

Last edited by Zephyr102 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : LEVEL UP!)
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 9:37 pm

Also, Crisis, a naga, has a longer lifespan and maturation period than humans do. So it's not inconceivable that nagas have menopause a lot later, either due to having more eggs or longer menstrual cycles. Maybe her period only comes once every three months?
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 9:47 am

Here's a fun one. The Negav people live in a world where magic and fantasy are everyday thing, so what do the Negav people like to read about in their fiction? They woulden't want to read about stuff that happens in their own lives already, so their version of the 'Fantasy Genre' would be very different to ours.

Most likely something that doesn't involve gaints, that's a given. But what else would be a factor for a Negav best seller?
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 1:58 pm

I dunno about the "fantasy" genre there, but the Universe is a big place. They probably read a lot about any worlds that are different from the one they know.
Why, for example, wouldn't Earth be a fantasy world from the perspective of one where, say, metals didn't exist and consequently there was no mystical energy (electricity) that allowed them to make vehicles that drove themselves and artificial men? Of course Negav has a lot of things from a lot of other worlds, so it's tougher for us to come up with things that wouldn't be there.

tl;dr: I have nothing useful to add. xP
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 2:26 pm

hmmm, well as you said many worlds visit Negav and stories are traded. So mabye Negav publishers pick and mix stories from other worlds and adapt them into a narrative that Negav people would understand.

Like how Disney takes classical stories and Americanizes the characters and morality.

One form of fiction that does come to mind is Zombie fiction. Since there is no Necromancy in Felarya I bet fantasy tales with Zombies would be a big hit. Negav people are used to being eaten by gaints, but human corpses eating people would just be so alien to them and they would find stories about them fresh and orginal
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 5:34 pm

Oh dear... Twilight. Shocked D=
Back to top Go down
Venom Agato
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Venom Agato

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 9:33 pm

jedi-explorer wrote:
I have a subject I regularly overthink. Age. I mean from what I understand when you arrive in Felarya your age is paused at what it was and you cease to age at all physically. What about people who have babies? I mean does the magic of Felarya that halts age make an exception for them? If so why? What about kids who come to Felarya? Are they forever young?

Well obviously the younglings grow up as for kids................ well isn't one of the Guardians a child?
Back to top Go down
http://bioshockreborn.proboards.com
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 12:10 pm

Yeah, well someone could bring in zombies from another realm, and Crisis would probably have a bite...and go "EWW!" XD
Back to top Go down
Venom Agato
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Venom Agato

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 6:44 pm

XD Good laugh there but we were on aging.
Back to top Go down
http://bioshockreborn.proboards.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics
Page 5 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next