Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics

Go down 
+30
Ilceren
ravaging vixen
French snack
Malahite
Alec and 1337
Amaroq
/Fish/
Nyaha
Darth_Nergal
McKindle
Oldman40k2003
FalconJudge
Archmage_Bael
Emerald Electronic
EvilGenius
Karbo
gwadahunter2222
Claire
Stabs
Feadraug
Vaderaz
DarkOne
Venom Agato
Grave
Pendragon
parameciumkid
rcs619
jedi-explorer
Shady Knight
Zephyr102
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 1:06 pm

I shall quote the wiki

"Once, a dusk nymph caused a great panic in Negav and ate several citizens before being chased away. For some reason, this kind of fairy appears to be totally immune to the effect of the The Isolon Eye, the main defense of the city. Even the Ps'isol magiocrats are utterly clueless as to the reasons for this immunity."
Back to top Go down
French snack
French snack

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 1:10 pm

Ah yes, you're right. I suppose if they were more numerous, they would indeed pose quite a threat.
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2013 10:52 am

DarkOne wrote:
What are Negav's views on Jetbike delivery? Because a jetbike owner could enter and exit the city completly unregulated because they can just fly over the walls. While weapons and such are allowed in Negav, however most people still have to go through the gates so at least the really dangerous people and items are filtered from the least threatening. But this woulden't be the case with a Jetbike owner, for all Negav knows, a Jetbike might have a cargo container with a swarm of Dusk Nyphs in it.

Since, as you pointed out, they are so potentially dangerous, I presume that Negav has severe restrictions on who and what is allowed to just fly over the walls at will.

If I were them, I'd force jetbikes to travel through the gates like anyone else, and enforce it with all the anti-air weaponry and spells I could muster, with a "shoot first, ask questions later" and "there's no kill like over kill" policy on their use.
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
ravaging vixen
ravaging vixen

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 7:40 pm

Lol i thought about something similar to an effective border patrol, there's a lot of people who'd pay top dollar to look for those things...Which you could say would be the solution to the problem, you just need a organization to with a a good presentation to make itself good with good with canon. I mean i really doubt that someone that has been in this region of felarya long enough and has a grudge against something like dusk nymphs would be oblivious to that. So lets 'make up' a reasonable solution then shall we?
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 7:53 am

Speaking of why are there so many lesbian nagas, check this phenomenon out.

Dunno if it happens on snakes, but it'd go a long way towards explaining them. Unless we're talking ice nagas.
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 9:19 am

It would if there were a clear reason females would be better suited to life in the jungle, or at some point in the recent-ish past were better suited to living in warm environments. Otherwise the trait would have no reason to develop.
Back to top Go down
http://helia.net63.net
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 1:04 pm

I've always had the image in my mind that Male predators are simply an elusive bunch, the girls are so sex obsessed that the males are frightened to the point of the girls having to chase them down. That's why you never see many male preds, they are hiding from the girls.
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 7:16 pm

Surposingly most humans in Felarya believe predators to be non-sapient man eating monsters, lacking in any humanity whatever.

and yet in way too many stories I've seen, when a predator corners these people, a large amount of them will more often than not instantly try persauding these "Monsters" from eating them, in fact in alot of cases it's the FIRST thing they think of. So their prime idea for survival is to debate with predators that they are surposed to believe are incapable of sapient and rational thought...
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 11:04 am

True, that is rather irrational. But have you been watching Attack on Titan? People ARE irrational. There's a scene where a girl fails to kill a Titan and then, despite it being common knowledge that they don't have higher mental faculties like language or mercy, tries to apologize to it. I think the effect comes from cornered humans losing their cool (and reason along with it) and, since the predators (or Titans) do have human faces, they try to talk to them instinctively.
Also, this whole universe is fairly anime-inspired, and in anime girls who are apprehended suddenly, even by inanimate objects, stereotypically plead for the attacker to stop.
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 10:39 am

Yeah but irrational behavior due to emotional stress is not the same thing as sudden inexplicable abandonment of rationality and never returning to it.

I am not talking of moments where they scream "PLEASE DON'T EAT ME!" in panic, I am talking of moments where they actually stop and try using human reasoning to convice not be eaten.

So they are rational and calm enougth to start a debate with the creature and make reasonable arguements but are irrational and panicked enougth to forget that (in their view) that predators are incapable of rationalty?

Surely if they were having a moment of irrationalty then they shoulden't even be able to make such arguements to begin with?

Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 11:23 am

I have to say, I myself don't see how people - at least, those who are experienced, with those sheltered or first-time adventurers/newcomers to Felarya being the exceptions - could not think that predators are sapient and capable of rational thought, what with the way most of them are shown to act towards their prey. First and foremost evidence: there are numerous predators known to chitchat with their prey. I'm sure in RPs this characteristic is a little more widespread among player characters than it would be canonically, but it's still a fact. Anyone familiar with predators would know that reasoning is, however slim the possibility that it will work, an option for a number of humanoid predators. Now, I know this doesn't really explain those exceptions, like people raised in Negav or those newly arriving in Felarya doing it, but it at least explains some of the more seasoned adventurers approach.
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 6:37 pm

Not to just change the subject, but you know how Karbo recently uploaded that picture about Chenobryos?
So apparently Chenobryos is a hollow ring, but to anyone looking up or down within it it just looks like an endless straight tube. Does this mean that light rays curve to follow it? Is spacetime itself curled into a loop on one axis within Chenobryos? Does that mean that there's no telling which ways are the "inside" and "outside" edges of the ring? Could a person staring into the abyss see himself or herself staring into the abyss, and if so, how many times before atmospheric scattering obscures the view?
Oh, and then there's the whole infinite energy problem. If I jump off a balcony, could you harvest my kinetic energy with a turbine or something and get infinite energy from all the times I loop around?
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 6:57 pm

I think I could, in a way, Para. There's two things to power, though: to harvest your kinetic energy, I need both a force accelerating you and a distance for you to move. You can't get any power from a force that doesn't change anything. So I'd say... yeah, we could, in theory, take Chenobryos, and pour a big friggin' waterfall down, and harvest its power infinite times for infinite power. You'd make all of Chenobryos reach 100% water saturation in air pretty fast though: falling water causes extra humidity. I don't think anyone at the forges would be happy with the rain. In fact, you don't need Chenobryos- it'd be faster to just think with portals.

Now, from the flavor text on that upskirt shot, I take it the atmospheric scattering will obscure it... yes, you can't see yourself, because it'd take days falling at terminal velocity. I'm assuming that Chenobryos is at least the same diameter as Earth: if you fall at Mach 1, with 300 m/s, that's 1080 km/h, and after 24 hours you'd fall like 2592 kilometers.

Curving of spacetime... yes, it'd have to curve, otherwise you'd be able to see as far as the horizon (unless Hell has a hellish atmosphere) and then you'd know it's not really straight.

Dis doth remind me of good ol' Sigil, though turned 90º on its side. And maybe spinning.
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2013 11:47 am

Just looking through the wiki and realised that the Isolon fist are surposed to be wearing some sort of cloaky capes, Why is that? I guess it's mostly for show but I really find it really diffecult to see these guys to be competent in battle in any way when they have something that predators could easily grab and choke them with. These guys seriousy went through battle and survial training only then to slip into a uniform that if anything only offers them a massive tactical disadvantage? They don't even need Predators to kill them, they just need to snag their capes on a tree branch while running and die an embarrassing death. And I hardly think becoming a laughing stock is the job of the Magiocrat's fighting force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=M68ndaZSKa8&t=127
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2015 5:41 pm

We assume Akaptor's sands lead to the past. Why?

Is it possible to do something in Akaptor's past so that it influences the present meaningfully? Let's say I drop a mummified carcass in the past, will I be able to extract petrol in the present? If I destroy a rock in the past, will it be gone in the present as well? Convergently, if I deposit a giant stone in the past, will I forevermore find a well-worn stone in the present?
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 6:48 am

Stabs wrote:

Is it possible to do something in Akaptor's past so that it influences the present meaningfully? Let's say I drop a mummified carcass in the past, will I be able to extract petrol in the present? If I destroy a rock in the past, will it be gone in the present as well? Convergently, if I deposit a giant stone in the past, will I forevermore find a well-worn stone in the present?

I've thought about this too. I mean unless Felarya operates on "paradox shield"  concept having essentially a nest of wormholes that lead to the past in your backyard is at the least exploitable at the most? Dangerous. If one could go back to before the Neko Empire fell and convince King Kumi that the humans were merely waiting for his down fall so they could take Negav for themselves would this cause a causality ripple to change a slew of stuff? Or does a new reality get created in Felarya's corner of the multiverse?
Back to top Go down
French snack
French snack

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 7:50 am

jedi-explorer wrote:

I've thought about this too. I mean unless Felarya operates on "paradox shield"  concept having essentially a nest of wormholes that lead to the past in your backyard is at the least exploitable at the most? Dangerous. If one could go back to before the Neko Empire fell and convince King Kumi that the humans were merely waiting for his down fall so they could take Negav for themselves would this cause a causality ripple to change a slew of stuff? Or does a new reality get created in Felarya's corner of the multiverse?

As I understand it, the desert sands send you back into the very distant past, long prior to the emergence of the current or recent civilisations.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 8:21 am

The Akaptor Desert's sand basically sends you to prehistoric times. Anything that happens there would most likely have next to no impact on the future, and that's assuming you don't get killed immediately by the not dinosaurs.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 8:27 am

Yeah, those beasts are said to be extinct, so I don't think you'd gain much by going so back in time. Also, I was somehow convinced that the effect of the sands was only applicable to the desert. Say, if you take a step into the sands from the border of the desert, you'd be in the past. But as soon as you step back out of the present desert area, even if the desert was bigger in the past, you come back to present time to the Rocky Fields where you left off.

Also, now that I think about it, what stops you from stepping into the sand and being sent to the past directly inside the body of an ancient creature resting there?

As for Stabs' questions, I'd say yes to all of them. However, keep in mind things will have moved in all that time. You leave a giant rock there (if you manage to carry it, that is. Inanimate objects don't get carried back in time unless carried by creatures -otherwise stilts wouldn't be much help anyway-), and when you manage to get back to present time, the rock won't be anywhere close to that location. Why? It will probably be moved in all those years. A beast scratching against it, a Giant tripping on it, the stone being eroded so small that it can be carried away by a sandstorm... The rare case is when it actually is where you left it.
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 10:06 am

First, Ilceren is right. As stated on the wiki, "if you do fall you should quickly leave the ground and get back on your stilts (which will bring you back to the present)". Secondly, in my talks with Karbo while developing Sulla Sabbia (Which I still need to get back to and write the article for DX), only certain areas of the desert still contain that temporal sand at present day, something not explicitly mentioned in the wiki. Meaning that even simply finding your way back to normal sand would return you to whence you came.

I did play with this idea, though, when creating Sand Mermaids. The basic idea is that some regular mermaids were dimension-warped to Akaptor by accident, sent back in time by the sand to a time when there was an actual body of water in Akaptor, and then, stuck there, reproduced and evolved over generations, adapting to the desert climate and eventually becoming able to swim through sand using innate earth magic, resulting in sand mermaids appearing in present day. Which I think is pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Lockheed X-17
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Lockheed X-17

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 1:48 am

jedi-explorer wrote:
Stabs wrote:

If I may intervene... Very Happy

The time-paradox thing won't work. For if it did happen, it should already have. Plus, there is always a guardian who can prevent this, right???
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 2:16 am

A little time paradox is often too small for a Guardian to care. Something has to have a big effect on Felarya as a whole in order for Guardians to intervene. It's more logical to say that if you get out of the present desert area while you're in the past, you get ported back to the present (and the Wiki seems to support that concept).
Back to top Go down
Lockheed X-17
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Lockheed X-17

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 6:35 pm

Haven't you heard about the Chaos Theory or of the Butterfly effect. As it states in the Butterfly Effect: One butterfly flapping it's wings on one side of the earth is causing a hurricane on another side or something like that...
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 7:01 pm

Well, that's a problem for any time-traveler, not just the ones in Felarya. Razz

I don't think Guardians handle paradoxes. Maybe, given the fragility of time-traveling in Akaptor, you are shunted off back into the present if anything you do would cause paradox, just as if you'd stopped being in contact with the sand.

Or maybe you're warped into a parallel version of the past, so nothing you do actually affects the past of the default timeline.
Back to top Go down
Lockheed X-17
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Lockheed X-17

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 8:05 pm

Most probable. The paradox wouldn't have a noticeable effect, since if something has changed, nobody would notice it unless if they are (sigh...) I don't know... anti-time?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics
Page 10 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next