Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Negav map

Go down 
+8
Malahite
jedi-explorer
DarkOne
French snack
Archmage_Bael
Nyaha
Stabs
Karbo
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Negav map Empty
PostSubject: Negav map   Negav map Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 5:06 am

I'm currently working on a map of Negav. yes at least ! Razz

It's still a rough sketch but here is how it's looking for now.

Negav map Negavelementscopy

A: the eye
B: The adventurer guild
C: The Jaslow Arena
D: The tourism guild
E: The Neko tail bar
F: Sanctum of the Shining star
G: Pelnepi
H: House of thousand suns
I: Venmys-Pieaug Library
J: Grand Market District
K: Negav Academy of Science
L: The Fringelis Star
M: Street of Red Flowers
N: Negav Baths
O: Elven district
P: The Lit Ciggy Bar
Q: Isolon University of Magic
R: Square of hope
S: Golden spires district
T: The Blue zone
U: Eladrine hills
V: Motamo docks
W: Dimensional gate

Please don't hesitate if you have any remarks or suggestions Smile
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Stabs
Stabs

Negav map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 6:14 am

So, several walls, eh? I like that. Gives the impression that Negav was built behind one wall at a time. I'm gonna assume, again, that the whole map isn't anywhere near scale... and ask something.

Is there any particular reason why La Blue Zone is within the high tier? I was kinda assuming room was at a premium anywhere, specially there. As in, it was all used up. If The Blue Zone was built in the high tier, then something must have been displaced while building. Something must have gotten demolished. to make room, and while it's not to scale, I'm assuming it was quite big. Big enough for an embassy and a foreign district, at least.

Also the J looks like a U. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Negav map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 2:11 pm

Wait, THAT's where the gate is? O.o I thought the dimensional gate was across the bridge all this time!!

Nyu, somehow, I was under the impression that Negav was a massive city. By the look of this, it looks more like a decently-sized RPG town. ^^; You might also want to think about a way to show building heights, at least as a generality by each area (ie this area has tall buildings, this other area not so much). Also, I think your river is maybe too narrow? I thought rivers in Felarya were at least twice as wide as rivers on Earth (wherever that is)?
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Negav map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 9:40 pm

Well, Negav is built vertically as well as one wall at a time. Its just built on one after the other over time.

However, the Motamo Docks should be closer to the northern gate.

There should also be some more stuff closer to the northern gate, since that's where most adventurers go in and out of. As I recall, south of the Gate is Dridder territory. No one really ventures there as I figure - its like suicide.

There should be more of a bubble like upside down "U" shaped wall around the front I'd think, with various bastion towers, and of course a flat wall in front just like how the picture shows from that commission you did.

See, in typical cities the markets naturally form near major thoroughfares, and it looks to me like the markets are way out of the way. I'd think it'd be one smooth walk from housing to markets to out doors and around the bend to the docks. I understand Negav was built over a long period of time, but it was constantly built upon itself, and therefore areas would have changed, and like I said: commercial industry naturally forms near major roads. that's why you always see fast food places off highway exits.

Some of the roads don't make sense either, like how the main road along the northern gate ends abruptly. Is there no gate right there into the middle tier? Or do they have to walk all the way around?

In the picture of Negav's front, there's an underground tunnel. I suspect that goes somewhere, if its to the motamo docks, maybe include that as well?

Overall it looks like it can work, and I know there was no real "city planner" for Negav, but some of these locations seem a bit haphazardly put to me. I still like this map a lot though, it intrigues me. I'll have more to say later when I can analyze each area and letter, as well as the way you designed the map. Of course I understand that its still your idea, and we both have obviously different opinions about how Negav is organized...but still angel

I cant believe the Eladrine Hills take up so much space. Darn rich people. Razz
Back to top Go down
French snack
French snack

Negav map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map Icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 12:29 am

Intriguing, and very useful! Smile

I agree, though, that it should be specified that it's not to scale. Unless Negav and its population are much smaller than I thought?
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Negav map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map Icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 3:59 am

Alright roger that Smile
Thank you for all your remarks, I'm definitely going to take them in account and also increase the general size of the city, as it is it looks rather small indeed ^^ ;
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Negav map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map Icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 12:27 pm

French snack wrote:
Intriguing, and very useful! Smile

I agree, though, that it should be specified that it's not to scale. Unless Negav and its population are much smaller than I thought?

Remember that everything in Felarya is super-scaled. That river is probably like the size of the Mississippi, and I dunno if you've been to the Mississippi river, but its difficult to see the other side of it from one end.

Also, like I said there needs to be a main road that connects the gates.
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

Negav map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map Icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 1:50 pm

woulden't a huge ass river be quite difficult to build a stone bridge over?
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Negav map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map Icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 3:30 pm

DarkOne wrote:
woulden't a huge ass river be quite difficult to build a stone bridge over?

Difficult but not impossible, especially with Magic.
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

Negav map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 6:59 pm

Quote :
Wait, THAT's where the gate is? O.o I thought the dimensional gate was across the bridge all this time!!

This I actually knew oddly as I have a RL copy of the Felarya map and have examined it very closely one day while looking at Negav and how big and detailed it is for a city on a map. I happened to see the Dimensional Gate outside of the city and at first though it was the Unkown Adventurers Monument.

Quote :
In the picture of Negav's front, there's an underground tunnel.

I had wondered about that the other day too. I don't remember any mention of a underground network in Negav other than the Lower Levels but I can't see why a tunnel would be outside the city leading there since it's not the most freindly part of the metropolis.

Quote :
"Remember that everything in Felarya is super-scaled."

Said the fan to the author of the worldscape XD Though yeah that is easy to forget at times. especially since 100 foot tall characters are close to the norm.
Quote :

"wouldn't a huge ass river be quite difficult to build a stone bridge over?"

Realism. Like Bael said magic makes many things possible. Expand your mind! Realism has no place here. This is a place of giant peoples, endless wonder and danger. In Felarya impossible should be taken out of the dictionary. Oh and am I the only one who noticed the eye, when seen from above, looks like an actual eye kinda? XD Was that accident or does it really look t that from above.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Negav map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 9:49 pm

Negav is practically a mega-city, when one considers its overall size. As such, I think the map might serve better being divided into districts versus individual buildings. I realize that some of the estates and such are roughly as huge / to scale as portrayed (imagine a Temple the size of a modestly-sized town), but for a number of locales it'd probably be more effective drawing lines and citing what places of interest are within that district.
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

Negav map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 11:10 am

Oh something else I noticed. Pelnepi is outside! I thought it was in the Sanctum of the Shining Star. Like ina special room which only those who are chosen to guard it can open at will. I didn't think it would be outside the temple. o.O Why is that? Because Pelnepi is much larger than implied and if so how is it protected from nekos and others.
Back to top Go down
French snack
French snack

Negav map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 2:17 pm

jedi-explorer wrote:
Oh something else I noticed. Pelnepi is outside! I thought it was in the Sanctum of the Shining Star. Like ina special room which only those who are chosen to guard it can open at will. I didn't think it would be outside the temple. o.O Why is that? Because Pelnepi is much larger than implied and if so how is it protected from nekos and others.

As indicated in the wiki, Pelnepi is a town within the gardens of the Sanctum. So yes, it's outdoors, outside the temple outside.

Access, of course, is restricted.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Negav map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 4:24 pm

It just looks like it might be a fancy courtyard...
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Negav map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 5:16 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
It just looks like it might be a fancy courtyard...
Keep in mind the scale. Many of the smaller (visible) buildings on the map are closer in size to the Superbowl Stadiums than what one would expect. Many of those trees lose a city block in their foliage.
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

Negav map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 9:53 am

French snack wrote:
jedi-explorer wrote:

As indicated in the wiki, Pelnepi is a town within the gardens of the Sanctum. So yes, it's outdoors, outside the temple outside.

Access, of course, is restricted.

Ohhh I thought it was a inside garden! Now it makes sense.
Back to top Go down
asaenvolk
Marauder of the deep jungle
asaenvolk

Negav map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 3:07 pm

Thanks for this picture, it helps a lot for the story I am working on. Now I can start placing things a bit better in the story, getting a feel for what is close, what is far, what could be reached quickly and what would take some time. Now we just need the underground part >.>
Back to top Go down
http://asaenvolk.deviantart.com/
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Negav map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 3:26 pm

HEY! I just noticed you didn't specify where any theaters are! We gotta have those for plays and musical performances and whatnot right?
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Negav map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 4:03 pm

Yep a Theater would definitely have its place in the middle tier or so ^^
Here is an update of the map. Still very much in progress. I am going to move the dimensional gate in the north, now that I think about it I think it's a more logical place indeed.

Negav map NegavelementsWIP2copy
Back to top Go down
asaenvolk
asaenvolk

Negav map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 5:09 pm

so that the gate is between Negav and the neko village?
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Negav map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 12:19 am

yep
Back to top Go down
asaenvolk
asaenvolk

Negav map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 12:35 am

That works, though there is something to be said for Negav forcing the Neko go go through their city (and control and tariffs) to get to said gate, even better, because this way it could be possible to tariff them twice.
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

Negav map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 7:59 am

But if the Gate is at to the north, then imported goods can get through the bridge entrace and cut through the city better by the main road, and if most shops siturate themselves at the main road (to attract the visitors as they go along it) then they get their supplies quicker. Plus if one can cut through the main road, over the bridge and into the gate, then the city can be evacuated quicker if it ever came to the worse.

If you want the gate to the south, then the structure of the city should have the main access road into the city come from that direction, rather than from the bridge

Last edited by DarkOne on Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
asaenvolk
asaenvolk

Negav map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 1:27 pm

while my point stands, and is valid, I see your point, though one other point, if you take out or damage the bridge you loose access to the gate.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Negav map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 6:19 pm

Now THAT's what I'm talking about!

I agree with DarkOne, that's why I suggested an actual main road that goes through most of the city. The upper tier doesn't even have much of a main road though, I see. They must have something special, due to rich people's paranoia. I wouldn't be any bit surprised at all. If you've played the newest Sim City, then structuring your roads is VERY important - it determines efficient deliveries from industry, and good routes for people to get to work and such. Though Negav wouldn't be perfectly organized, but at least it'd have a giant main road and the gate up where DarkOne says, for efficiency.

Neko Village: I see it more toward the east than up north, but it's up to you.

Keep in mind for distances:

-The average walk-speed of a human is about 5 km/h (roughly 3 mph)
-Negav is about 90 sq mi. making it a 9x10 mile block, and therefore traversable from end to end in about 3 hours.
-Take this into account when measuring the distance at which you put cities and towns if you want to get specific.
=If Nekomura takes exactly one day's walk for an average person, that means it's probably about three or four Negav-size cities away. For a walk-time of about 9 hours to 12 hours, depending on when one starts and finishes walking.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Negav map Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Negav map
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next