Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Negav map

Go down 
+8
Malahite
jedi-explorer
DarkOne
French snack
Archmage_Bael
Nyaha
Stabs
Karbo
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
asaenvolk
Marauder of the deep jungle
asaenvolk

Negav map - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 2:51 am

oddly enough, 9x10 is not that big by modern standards, but I imagine its probably built upwards more than most modern cities.
Back to top Go down
http://asaenvolk.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Negav map - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 4:21 am

Another update ^^

Negav map - Page 2 NegavelementsWIP4
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
asaenvolk
asaenvolk

Negav map - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 5:08 am

well that most certainly makes it more dense, and that's not a bad thing, its probably more like a dense Italian city with its narrow roads than say a spread out American one, with their parks and massive freeways.
Back to top Go down
http://asaenvolk.deviantart.com/
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Negav map - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 7:44 am

Awesome.... Smile

I'm not sure about only having one theater, but I might be biased since I have a character who would regularly frequent them for her performances. It's up to you, but I think maybe a few spread around would be better. Or is the idea to only mention the most important places and leave the rest up to the imagination of the public?
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Negav map - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 11:41 am

I think one theatre is fine. Performing arts would be difficult to get into, or even watch probably. The theatre could sit many people, too. Not just like a couple hundred.

Also what Ace said - 9x10 isn't that big at all. Like I said as well, you could walk that in a couple hours or more.

Finally...I have trouble seeing the letters on the map, could you make them stand out a bit more?
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

Negav map - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 9:23 pm

Ooh, shiny.
Only complaint I foresee is in terms of readability; the labels aren't clearly visible against the background. Perhaps if they were darker...
Back to top Go down
http://helia.net63.net
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Negav map - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 1:42 am

Nyaha wrote:
Awesome.... Smile

I'm not sure about only having one theater, but I might be biased since I have a character who would regularly frequent them for her performances. It's up to you, but I think maybe a few spread around would be better. Or is the idea to only mention the most important places and leave the rest up to the imagination of the public?

It's very much the case ^^ It's like for bars. Only 3 are mentioned but there are plenty more of course.

As for notes being hard to read, well it was a smaller version in order to not "break" the thread with a too big image but in this particular case we can make an exception ^^

Negav map - Page 2 Negav%20elementsWIP6
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Negav map - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 1:29 pm

The map is finished now ( http://karbo.deviantart.com/art/Negav-Map-365926272 ). Thank you for your imput everyone ^^ We can also use this thread to discus further various aspects of Negav Smile
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Negav map - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 2:18 pm

Well on aspect is firmly planted in my mind: that a city so dense would have secondary walkways above the streets to improve food traffic. I don't know if that'd be true or not, but it might make the city feel a lot more dense if there's something like that that exists...
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

Negav map - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 2:24 pm

I really do love the addictional artwork, makes it look something you'd expect to be handed out at the tourism guild.

This has come at a good time actually, I've always wanted a chase sequance through Negav for my story. This map will be quite helpful in planning it out
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Negav map - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 5:28 pm

Just doing some basic math: If one wants to assume for some reason that the city's structures are 100% to scale, I was able to get a size of about 3.25 kilometers from one section of wall to another. This was accomplished by assuming that the Jaslow Arena is approximately as big as the Arena di Verona, and - once more - assuming a 100% "To Scale" to it. This would also put the city walls (excluded from the above) as almost 40 meters thick at even the thinnest points: You could literally fit dig into the stonework and still have 10-20m of solid wall between the interior and outside jungle.

However, that's using the arena as something of a low / middle end. Assuming you make the Motamo River comparable to the Mississippi River, and use an average width of about 575m (or about a third of what the M' river is at its widest points), you can semi-easily stretch the city to thrice as big (or about eight and a quarter kilometers wide).

What does this mean? Well, in regard to the second one, we'd be looking at a square area approximately 2/3 that of New York City. Excluding the Dimensional Gate, Motamo Docks, Walls, and so-on in the measurements.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Negav map - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 8:44 pm

Well, Malahite, this would mean that there'd be a way bigger population than 750,000 people, even with eladrine hills, and a couple other space-consuming areas of the city.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Negav map - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 10:45 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Well, Malahite, this would mean that there'd be a way bigger population than 750,000 people, even with eladrine hills, and a couple other space-consuming areas of the city.
Do keep in mind that New York has a population density of about 27532 people per square mile. If we're looking at only 200ish square kilometers (this would be about 1/3 the total surface area, my bad), you could be looking at a population density of about 7,500 per square mile. That's fairly average with many modern cities, all told.

Not saying it couldn't be only 3.25km between sections of wall, or even less than that, merely that it could be a fairly big city.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Negav map - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 11:54 am

Keep in mind many buildings are really really tall and close together. (No streetcar lanes and such) So it'd be more than that.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Negav map - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 2:47 pm

If the total population's intended to be about 750,000, and the city's meant to be built tall, it can work with something small like the 3.25km example. You'd be looking - in this case - at a population density of about 45,000 people per square kilometer, which is currently six times that of the city I live in.

Of course if this is the case this image seems odd as from such a high vantage point the horizon would be tens of miles off. The forest wouldn't just be visible, it'd be dominating the entire distance even if we assume over a mile has been cleared on the other side of the city's walls.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Negav map - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 12:52 am

Haha yes that's a good point ^^;
the forest should indeed appear in the distance there
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

Negav map - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 5:25 am

Oh, nice. I come back to find there is a map of Negav now!
And what a map, it's really gorgeous with that old-style effect and bonus illustrations. This makes me happy.
Now, to work out where my characters are living! XD

Edit: As for the tunnel outside the city, maybe it wasn't included in the map because the authorities don't want regular adventurers and such going to the pit? It's not a safe part of the city, and it isn't pretty either. Better if the non-residents don't know it exists, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Negav map - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 1:16 pm

Ilceren wrote:
Edit: As for the tunnel outside the city, maybe it wasn't included in the map because the authorities don't want regular adventurers and such going to the pit? It's not a safe part of the city, and it isn't pretty either. Better if the non-residents don't know it exists, I guess.

That brings up an interesting question: Will Karbo do the Negav underground? XD
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

Negav map - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 6:28 am

Well, after all this time, I think it looks fantastic.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Negav map - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 12:24 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Ilceren wrote:

Yup I will Razz
I am also thinking of some diagram that explain step by step how Negav developed over time.
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

Negav map - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 7:52 am

That sounds pretty neat! Would it include the Pre-Isolon Eye times? Like the first Negav and the Great Destruction. It would be very interesting to see those.
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

Negav map - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 11:01 am

Karbo wrote:
Archmage_Bael wrote:
Ilceren wrote:

Yup I will Razz
I am also thinking of some diagram that explain step by step how Negav developed over time.

Wow! That'd be awesome. I often think there's not enough good visual art of pre-modern Negav.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Negav map - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 12:04 pm

That'd be a lot of work Karbo, but I'll help however I can Smile
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Negav map - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 3:38 pm

Actually, a map of Negav about 40 or so years before current time would be perfect for my latest story... ^_^
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Stabs
Stabs

Negav map - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 5:23 pm

I'm confused tho. I thought the dimensional gate was to the south. It is on the large map...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Negav map - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav map   Negav map - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Negav map
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next