Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How would you even know it's Felarya

Go down 
+5
DarkOne
Bandur Khan
tkh1304
Amaroq
Stabs
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Stabs
Stabs

How would you even know it's Felarya Empty
PostSubject: How would you even know it's Felarya   How would you even know it's Felarya Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 11:33 pm

I was looking at SenecaHyde's answer to the how long would you last thread, and that made me wonder, if you suddenly showed up in Felarya for whatever reason, how would you know it's Felarya and not, say, the Black Forest in Germany?

I probably wouldn't figure it out for a while. It'd take something awfully blunt, like Crisis showing up, or everything I look at being rendered in Karbo's art style (Oooh, I'd totally have to get a mirror!), before I realized I wasn't in Brazil or something.

I would probably notice quicker if I got to talk to someone and they spoke Simlish with no accent, or if the sky was different two nights in a row, or if for whatever reason I saw the Giant Tree. The last one would not be definitive, though- it could be any giant tree, Felarya wouldn't be my first guess. I could be in Svartalfheim too!

Given what you've read so far, what would be a dead giveaway for you?

(I know it doesn't seem like a very smart question, it's 3:30 AM and I've just been gaming for hours, still riding the high, bear with me.)
Back to top Go down
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior
Amaroq

PostSubject: Re: How would you even know it's Felarya   How would you even know it's Felarya Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 1:10 am

The Scale and atmosphere. Mammoth trees are super rare in real life and often just single ones, not entire groups. And even then, the foliage is relatively thin in areas with those giant trees. Felarya on the other hand is a super thick jungle most of the time with tons of strange vegetation thats obviously meant to eat someone. So assuming it cannot be lets say catachan from the warhammer universe, i would quickly assume it IS indeed felarya or some other kind of death world.
Also, just try and see if you can spot a giant tree in the distance once you climb a tree. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://xxamaroqxx.deviantart.com
tkh1304
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
tkh1304

PostSubject: Re: How would you even know it's Felarya   How would you even know it's Felarya Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 1:48 am

If I get ported to somewhere from my home to the middle a jungle, and I see a smiling beautiful giantess approaching me fast instead of some ugly cyclop swinging his club around, I will start to think "Hey, isn't this just like Felarya?".

Last edited by tkh1304 on Sun May 17, 2015 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://tkh1304.deviantart.com
Bandur Khan
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
Bandur Khan

PostSubject: Re: How would you even know it's Felarya   How would you even know it's Felarya Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 3:25 am

If it would be the Black Forest, this would be more eerie. Just believe me.
Not even the Black Forest in Virginia can keep up with this.
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: How would you even know it's Felarya   How would you even know it's Felarya Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 7:24 am

If I suddenly turned up in a forest all of a sudden, I would probably think I am either dreaming or just lost my mind.

I always found it quite silly how most arrivals in Felarya stories just never question anything about their situation or the reality of it...except vore of course...as if that is the only thing out of place XD

So like, they could accept the fact that they have just teleported to a damn jungle, they could accept the existence of hundred foot tall naked moe girls when one appears seemingly without warning, but it's only the vore thing that puts them out of whack?

I dunno, I think I would have lost my shit long before it came to that point.
Back to top Go down
SenecaHyde
Naga food
SenecaHyde

PostSubject: Re: How would you even know it's Felarya   How would you even know it's Felarya Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 8:20 am

The same thought had occurred to me in the other topic, but I ended up taking it as part of the framework that we would know what to expect, especially since the results would depend on previous knowledge of the environment.

Lacking that assumption, I'd apply Bayes' Theorem and conclude I wasn't in Felarya regardless.  

P(Actually being in Felarya|I appear to be in Felarya)
= P(I appear to be in Felarya|Actually being in Felarya) * P(Actually being in Felarya) / P(I appear to be in Felarya)

I'll simplify this by assuming that P(I appear to be in Felarya|I appear to be in Felarya) is very close to 1.  Then I can reduce the statement by saying that the probability of me actually being in Felarya given that I'm in an environment that looks like Felarya is:

P(Actually being in Felarya) / P(I appear to be in Felarya)

And by my estimate, the denominator is going to be dramatically larger than the numerator (although both are going to be minuscule numbers), given that it includes the possibility of simulation or mental breakdown. The numerator will be insanely small (like 10^-1000000000000) given the inherent rarity of actually being transported to a fictional universe. So the likely case would be that I would automatically assume I wasn't in Felarya if I had no other information. This would result in my failure to prepare, and I'd probably end up with an awful death in a relatively short period of time.

Of course, I may have to temper my estimate given that the penalty of wrongly assuming I'm not in Felarya is worse than the penalty of wrongly assuming I'm in Felarya. But I still don't think it'd be enough to overturn the results from my previous estimation.
Back to top Go down
Bandur Khan
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
Bandur Khan

PostSubject: Re: How would you even know it's Felarya   How would you even know it's Felarya Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 8:30 am

Okay - I didn´t get it at all. To me this sounded more like tried Rocket Science, which would horribly fail Challenger-like, if ever put into Practice. But if I´m landing in a Jungle tall enough to let me look like an Insect (and it has to be, because otherwise even the tiniest Predator would leave a Track of Devastation behind, speaking of sneak around, being as big as the Fuselage of a Boeing 747-400), so one giant Tree more or less is only the Cream to the Coffee - like AVATAR: "This is one big Tree, I must say..."
And speaking of huge naked Babes - okay - if someone asks himself if he is in the Everglades, while he is devoured by a nude PamAn in her best Baywatch-Times... and didn´t know about this World in the first Place, he won´t know it now either.
Back to top Go down
Darth_Nergal
Hero
Hero
Darth_Nergal

Location : Someplace north Tonorian Hive, south of the Chordoni Waterfall, east of the Kuwuni bridge, and west of the Lataran Temple

PostSubject: Re: How would you even know it's Felarya   How would you even know it's Felarya Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 8:53 am

Well, certain vegetation would give it away, as well as the animals themselves, and it doesn't have to be intelligent animals either. Plus, as someone mentioned earlier, the size of the trees mixed with the size and amount of vegetation on the ground would be a slight giveaway. And finally, after reading about Felarya I think you should sort of just always assume that an unexpected dimensional trip will drop you in Felarya. =p
Back to top Go down
http://www.sithlordnergal.deviantart.com
dragon808tr
Survivor
Survivor

PostSubject: Re: How would you even know it's Felarya   How would you even know it's Felarya Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 2:27 pm

Well, as for me, either the soil's magical effect or the giant versions of animals would give it away (Even normal humans and animals are slightly taller, stronger and faster than their off-world counterparts).

I also have a headcanon that you would know due to the advanced (and huge) Nitrogen cycle of Felarya. For those that haven't taken Ecology, the Nitrogen cycle is a cycle of Nitrogen, or organic matter, from prey to preds, to the soil and it repeats. Basically, you, the human, have a finite amount of nitrogen, if you got eaten by a giantess or something (Using Crisis or any giant pred as an example), she would digest you. After her body is done (Trying to avoid scat here, so im glossing it over) you go back to the soil where you feed plants, that could be eaten by bugs or Neeras or something small, then humans/nekos, then back to Crisis (or any giant pred) and the cycle repeats.

In a less scientific sence, beacuse we all have some level of knowledge of the Felarya Wiki, we could notice signs, such as Ascarilin, Nekos, Nagas, seeing Negav, and the freaky plants.

If nothing else, you learned about the Nitrogen cycle from reading this!

#what I learned on Felarya today is...

LOL!
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: How would you even know it's Felarya   How would you even know it's Felarya Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 3:37 pm

I like to take a run through the hillz near my home. Its very forested, I could easily see myself on a run, and suddenly nothing changes - except the area that I am familiar with.

I'd get lost be like "okay, where am I?" and turn around to run back, but I may have just ran through into some far off area of Felarya. There are areas that aren't heavily forested. Aside from the desert and tundra there's hilly areas, and large grasslands as well. Its also huge - so you could theoretically just be teleported into that one place that's kinda similar to where you are before the trees start getting bigger...then you don't notice until its too late.

I've thought about it on various occasions when I run and my mind just...wanders (over yonder!).
Back to top Go down
dragon808tr
Survivor
Survivor

PostSubject: Re: How would you even know it's Felarya   How would you even know it's Felarya Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 5:01 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:

I'd get lost be like "okay, where am I?" and turn around to run back, but I may have just ran through into some far off area of Felarya. There are areas that aren't heavily forested. Aside from the desert and tundra there's hilly areas, and large grasslands as well. Its also huge - so you could theoretically just be teleported into that one place that's kinda similar to where you are before the trees start getting bigger...then you don't notice until its too late.

I've thought about it on various occasions when I run and my mind just...wanders (over yonder!).

((Nice Wander over Yonder Refrence!))

So I see i'm not the only one who thinks about that scenario. Beacuse I think about it daily, if not hourly, or minuitely. I think going to Felarya would be the absolute best (and I could bring a few people I like). I really think I could have a good chance at living in the wild there.

Yeah, I quess you could fall through a portal or something, considering how unstable it is and how things just teleport there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How would you even know it's Felarya   How would you even know it's Felarya Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How would you even know it's Felarya
Page 1 of 1