Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Felarya 2017

Go down 
+7
Gamma
Karbo
Mr. I
dragon808tr
Stabs
Archmage_Bael
jedi-explorer
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

Felarya 2017 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya 2017   Felarya 2017 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2017 8:03 am

you mean this one?

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Back before the last of the trolls and flamers left (W3K, Zion, etc) We used to have many people who would constantly post and review. There were a whole slew of them and every day tons and tons of ideas were constantly being churned out and even reviewed by each other, and ALWAYS commented on.

It was common courtesy that if you read something at all, you leave some kind of comment, not just hit the back page, shrug and move on. This encouraged people to continue. Then a bunch of people left after the last great conflict, and it hasn't really recovered since then. We have a lot of people who sign on and visit, but we don't really retain them all that well. We don't look like an active community.

We have tons of areas of Felarya that need developing. I can look at the map and point at anything on the edge. I'd suggest to look at the wiki if it weren't down, and find a location that doesn't have a lot of plant or animal life and come up with something to fit in there. Everywhere past Akaptor Desert and Kryromia fields, that whole area needs developing. Various areas of the ocean don't have a lot of plants.

In fact, do we have ANY ocean dwelling plants at ALL?

What about Oolonde Lakeland, the Islands around the edges? These are just places too, that could use both animals and plants. Not to mention inventing up cultural information for various species. A great project we still need to work on are how the fairies operate as a society beyond just being "a random group of millions of friends who just hang around in the kingdom", but also legends. Adding mythos within felarya even, legends, stories that people would tell their children.

There's so much to do its ridiculous. Get out there and brainstorm ideas, and I encourage you to read each other's ideas, and to leave some kind of comment on it. I could continue to ramble about this, too. I don't even know if people are even reading anything anymore because nobody comments on each other's ideas except for Karbo.

You cant just sit around and wait for Karbo to say something, you need to go out there and do it, and act like an active community. As somebody who's been around here since 2009, I suggest you take my advice. (I was lurking in late 2008 even, but whatever)

the post that compently ignored the point i was making?

no one comments anymore because many had become disenfranchised with the conflicts of interest that naturally occours in a setting that tries to please everyone and satisfies a very few.

at least from where i am standing it seems that way
Back to top Go down
Veseere
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer
Veseere

PostSubject: Re: Felarya 2017   Felarya 2017 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2017 1:02 pm

Karbo, are there any specific regions or topics you want fleshed out more this year?

I think it would be interesting to flesh out the fairy society more as Bael said. Do they function day to day with a council overall in the kingdom. What about Nemyra, does she actually play any significant role in the fairy kingdom as their queen or is she more of just a silent figurehead? As well as the Far Lands need work for sure, I love the idea of Ychet Neko Tribe. What about the crystals that dot the region, is their any actual explanation for them yet?
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Felarya 2017   Felarya 2017 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2017 5:29 pm

Well, Dio, to be fair, we've done nothing but throw more articles on top of the other ones for nearly a decade now, it's not like we really know how to do anything else.

Also, Bael, we might have cycled well through the entire Felarya community. Anyone who wanted to leave a mark has had the chance to find out we weren't quite what they expected or wanted. We had tried to engage everyone in mid-2015, and there was barely any new engagement from dA after the discussions.

It'd also be rather hypocritical of us to claim the forum is the only place for development, after we've defended a number of times that dA houses a significant part of the community. How about we go set up shop in dA, rather than seeing how can we lure more kids to our ice-cream van?
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felarya 2017   Felarya 2017 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2017 5:39 pm

Veseere wrote:
Karbo, are there any specific regions or topics you want fleshed out more this year?

I think it would be interesting to flesh out the fairy society more as Bael said. Do they function day to day with a council overall in the kingdom. What about Nemyra, does she actually play any significant role in the fairy kingdom as their queen or is she more of just a silent figurehead? As well as the Far Lands need work for sure, I love the idea of Ychet Neko Tribe. What about the crystals that dot the region, is their any actual explanation for them yet?

Well first I believe the next goal is to flesh out Kelerm, because there's even less information on them than there is on the Fairy Kingdom.

Second, thanks for the compliments, haha. As for the crystals, yes, I had an idea on my thread that tried to explain them, but I got the feeling nobody read it.

As for Dark: you wonder where we need to go, or how to get more activity? The problem is finding out where that disillusionment happens, and trying to fix it.
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Felarya 2017   Felarya 2017 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2017 6:09 am

Stabs wrote:
Well, Dio, to be fair, we've done nothing but throw more articles on top of the other ones for nearly a decade now, it's not like we really know how to do anything else.

there's a name for that

https://www.writing.com/main/newsletters.php/action/archives/id/6296-Do-You-Have-World-Builders-Disease.html
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Felarya 2017   Felarya 2017 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2017 7:10 am

World Builder's Disease hardly seems relevant here, given the stories do get written.

Rather, we don't know how to build the world other than with additional articles.
Back to top Go down
dragon808tr
Survivor
Survivor

PostSubject: Re: Felarya 2017   Felarya 2017 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2017 8:30 am

Well guys for me the main draw would be activity. I don't know about any of you, but when I see a post of mine has a reply I get really excited and can't wait to see what they said! (Mostly beacuse I'm lonely) But I really enjoy knowing what others think of my ideas and posts, even if the feedback isnt always positive. Razz

Its clear that there are still lots of users around here daily, or every few days. So if they started to comment again, there would be a better sense of community. That's just something I feel has been missing since the early months of me joining, we just arent active. Hell, I can't even get a good Rp going on here! (Although I perfer other places to rp on but still little interest was shown.)

Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felarya 2017   Felarya 2017 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2017 10:12 am

dragon808tr wrote:
Well guys for me the main draw would be activity. I don't know about any of you, but when I see a post of mine has a reply I get really excited and can't wait to see what they said! (Mostly beacuse I'm lonely) But I really enjoy knowing what others think of my ideas and posts, even if the feedback isnt always positive. Razz

Its clear that there are still lots of users around here daily, or every few days. So if they started to comment again, there would be a better sense of community. That's just something I feel has been missing since the early months of me joining, we just arent active. Hell, I can't even get a good Rp going on here! (Although I perfer other places to rp on but still little interest was shown.)

Yes, exactly, part of what I've been saying. Spend a few minutes and comment Razz. I'd say more, but I don't want to repeat myself, haha.
Back to top Go down
dragon808tr
Survivor
Survivor

PostSubject: Re: Felarya 2017   Felarya 2017 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2017 1:00 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
dragon808tr wrote:

Yes, exactly, part of what I've been saying. Spend a few minutes and comment Razz. I'd say more, but I don't want to repeat myself, haha.

Exactly, the only reason I don't comment is if I have nothing to add or if someone already said what I was going to say.
Back to top Go down
Gamma
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Gamma

PostSubject: Re: Felarya 2017   Felarya 2017 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2017 5:07 pm

DarkOne wrote:
Stabs wrote:

there's a name for that

https://www.writing.com/main/newsletters.php/action/archives/id/6296-Do-You-Have-World-Builders-Disease.html

It's not like that's a bad thing. Tolkien had it, after all. I think it's a good idea to have a very fleshed-out world for our writers to use. That said, we do need to be wary of too many cooks spoiling the soup, so to speak, and I think Karbo does a decent job of keeping the too-crazy ideas from becoming official.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felarya 2017   Felarya 2017 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2017 10:56 pm

dragon808tr wrote:

Exactly, the only reason I don't comment is if I have nothing to add or if someone already said what I was going to say. [/quote]

That means there'd have to be someone else commenting before you, of course.
Back to top Go down
iZyren
Naga food
iZyren

PostSubject: Re: Felarya 2017   Felarya 2017 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2017 4:21 am

I've had some IRL stuff to deal with (hence why i've been quiet.) but now i've fixed most of it so i'm up for brainstorming.

Already working on some ideas for Ocean plants and critters.
About the aquatic plants i've already thought one up but it needs some polishing before i post it. For the moment i named it : Walking Volcano.

I'll also try to draw it since it's hard to desribe in words but it is intended as both an oceanic and river species. note: i can't draw any good.
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Felarya 2017   Felarya 2017 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2017 7:51 am

well i tend to find that while members are initially happy to provide feedback on stuff for a while, they arn't going to keep comming back to something they grew bored with, arn't really interested in or straight up don't like, and personally i don't think it's fair to expect them to.

if people arn't commenting, i take it as a sign to step up my game and find how to correlate other people's interests with my own.

Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felarya 2017   Felarya 2017 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2017 1:23 pm

DarkOne wrote:
if people arn't commenting, i take it as a sign to step up my game and find how to correlate other people's interests with my own.

Aha! Marketing!
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Felarya 2017   Felarya 2017 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2017 9:15 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
DarkOne wrote:

Aha! Marketing!

http://writerunboxed.com/2012/08/24/do-you-know-who-your-audience-is-no-really-do-you/
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Felarya 2017   Felarya 2017 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2017 8:11 am

Gamma wrote:

It's not like that's a bad thing.  Tolkien had it, after all.  I think it's a good idea to have a very fleshed-out world for our writers to use.

Tolkien is not a good rolemodel in this context, he took years to publish and he didn't have an online commumity to uphold.

http://middle-earth.xenite.org/2011/09/16/how-long-did-it-take-j-r-r-tolkien-to-write-the-lord-of-the-rings/
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: Felarya 2017   Felarya 2017 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2017 9:45 am

DarkOne wrote:
Gamma wrote:

It's not like that's a bad thing.  Tolkien had it, after all.  I think it's a good idea to have a very fleshed-out world for our writers to use.

Tolkien is not a good rolemodel in this context, he took years to publish and he didn't have an online commumity to uphold.  

http://middle-earth.xenite.org/2011/09/16/how-long-did-it-take-j-r-r-tolkien-to-write-the-lord-of-the-rings/

Also keep in mind he was trying to make money and We do this for fun but not profit.....except Karbo and people who make cash off commissions for OCs and stuff <.<
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Felarya 2017   Felarya 2017 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Felarya 2017
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2